Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Tax on 40K Salary?

Hey guys,

Got myself a job making 40k a year. I always hear horror stories of how much tax is taken out of people's paychecks. I hear its like 35% if you're single? Is this true? How much are they taking out of your paychecks?

Damn taxes.
    Last edited by Monte_Cristo; 01-17-2006 at 07:02 PM.
    "Life is a storm my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome, 'Do your worst, for I will do mine!' - Count of Monte Cristo

Living in a vacuum sucks forgot password's Avatar
    Stats: 5'9", 201 lbs
    BodyPoints: 14442
    forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) forgot password has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit forgot password's BodySpace
    40k a month? Plan on losing close to half once you reach the highest bracket.
    I drive really slow
    In the ultra-fast lane
    While people behind me are going insane

Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution yet.

My Karma ran over your dogma.
    ,___,
    [O.o]
    /)__)
    -"--"- o'Rly

Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Monte_Cristo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Red face

my bad. freduian slip i guess or an omen for the future haha I mean 40k a year. Sorry for the mix up
    "Life is a storm my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome, 'Do your worst, for I will do mine!' - Count of Monte Cristo

Stats: 5'11", 220 lbs
    BodyPoints: 965
    Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dr Triceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Dr Triceps's BodySpace
    You'll pay about 33%...and never get it back when you retire...
    If the human mind were simple enough to understand, we'd be too simple to understand it- Emerson Pugh.

so 40k is $20/hr. In one week I make BEFORE TAXES (20*8*5)=$800.

So 33% of $800 is $264.

So you're telling me I'm only going to take home $800-$264=$536/week???

$26,800/year.

Damn, how to people go out and live on their own with that kind of money?

Stats: 6'0", 192 lbs
    BodyPoints: 12520
    Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Patrok is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Patrok's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Monte_Cristo
    Damn, how to people go out and live on their own with that kind of money?
    they dont live, they survive only

Its so funny. When I was a kid, 40K was A LOT OF money. Inflation + realizing how much taxes blow = looking for more ways to generate income (i.e. small business, consulting, etc)

How do you guys generate other income besides your salary?

Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000) Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000) Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000) Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000) Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000) Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000) Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000) Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000) Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000) Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000) Copespitter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Expect to have around 20-25 percent witheld from your check.
    The highest tax bracket is 39% and you have to make around 100K + a year to be in that category.
    The goverment screws the single person.
    The bad thing is all of your tax dollars are going to the lazy.
    Most single women with atleast one child that have a mediocre job get back all their federal witholdings back at the end of the year + $1500-$2500 per bastard child they have. It's called "earned income". Total B.S.. Usually the people that qualify for that also qualify for other goverment assistance like food stamps and cash aid that our tax dollars pay for.
    Not to mention the "Katrina Evacuee's". The list goes on and on...........

BodyPoints: 3892
    Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Fallen_Horse's BodySpace
    33%??? What are you smoking?

http://www.savewealth.com/taxes/rates/single/

So making $40,000 a year is $4100 in basic taxes, plus 25% of whatever is above the baseline. Therefore,

$40,000-$4100-.25($40,000-$29,700)= $33,325 (which works out to be 16.68%)
    Last edited by Fallen_Horse; 01-17-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Ok, according to that site my base tax is $4,090. It's 25% for my salary MINUS $29,700.

40,000-29,700=10,300

.25 of 10,300 = 2,575

So total tax due is 4,090 + 2,575 = 6,665.

am i right?

Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Fallen_Horse is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Patrok
    they dont live, they survive only
    What are you smoking? I lived with just me and my Mom and she made $12,000 a year! We barely made it...
    Someone with a 40K a year job is doing fine...

i see you edited your message already haha thanx for the link.. very informative

Originally Posted by Fallen_Horse
    What are you smoking? I lived with just me and my Mom and she made $12,000 a year! We barely made it...
    Someone with a 40K a year job is doing fine...
    i live in california..nuff said

Yeah sorry about that, I was confused for a second...

Originally Posted by Monte_Cristo
    i live in california..nuff said
    Ok, that counts lol...

WTF? Why did my rep just die???