Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Workout Journal..get big or get out.

After letting you guys offer opinions on the EAS 52 week program, I decided to keep you posted on the results. ( the website is EAS.com and the training program is under the "training" tab. I am following the plan pretty close, with a few substitutions for exercises I dont like.)
    I started out 6'3", 238 lbs, and 44 years old.
    I have been on this for five training days and seven days total.
    My diet consists of 160-180 grams protein, 150 grams carbs and 10-15 grams fat per day, spread out over 5-6 meals.
    Once I lose my gut I may add some protein to get larger.
    After one week I have lost two pounds, and since getting taller was not a goal, I am not surprised to find I am still 6'3".
    By the way, I am starting this after a four year layoff from any kind of weight training and an aversion to exercise in general.

I will update this thread periodically, whenever I have something to add.

"I wouldnt belong to a club that would have someone like me for a member".

the Epicurean bodybuilder A.FreeRadical's Avatar
    Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    10-15 grams of fat per day is not enough. Going this low over time could cause your metabolism to slow down and your testosterone to drop. 20-30% is a good range. Good fats are, olive oil, flaxseed oil, canola oil, nuts, salmon (and other cold water fish), natural peanut butter. Fats do not make you fat. Eating the wrong foods in the wrong amounts will make you fat.

I would suggest that you up your protein to 240 grams (1 gram for each lb of body weight.) Having a surplus of protein (along with resistance training) can help prevent muscle loss while on a restricted diet.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs up

Way to go with the 2 lbs loss, Zoo. Look forward to following your progress.

fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fitnessman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by A.FreeRadical
    10-15 grams of fat per day is not enough. Going this low over time could cause your metabolism to slow down and your testosterone to drop. 20-30% is a good range. *
    aA.FreeRadical a
    It is insane to keep fats this low!
    Psalm 121

zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50) zootalors will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do take a flax ,borage and fish oil supplement every night.

jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by A.FreeRadical
    10-15 grams of fat per day is not enough. Going this low over time could cause your metabolism to slow down and your testosterone to drop.

I believe I'm living proof that this can happen. My fat intake has been WAY too low for YEARS and I just learned that my test is low thanks to some recent bloodwork. I'm taking steps to correct this, and upping my intake of good fats is one of those things. I found a really great EHA fatty acid compound in Lemmon's Oil that I do believe is helping me in that department. I also do fish oil caps every day, eat salmon at least once a week, snack on almonds, and enjoy a PB&J now and again, too.

Cheers,
    jag
    My Music: http://jaguarr.spymac.com

Bite into the apple of discord and let it nourish away your complacency.

Location: Away from arbitrary power. "Freedom is the emancipation from the arbitrary rule of other men." ~ Mortimore J. Adler
    A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A.FreeRadical has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by zootalors
    I do take a flax ,borage and fish oil supplement every night.
    That is good, but I was talking about "food" that has healthy fats in it. 10-15% is extremely low. Did you get this diet from the EAS website?

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004
    Neck 16.5" Shoulders 49" Biceps 14.5" Chest 42" Waist 37" Hips 39" Thighs 21"....5' 9" tall 184 lbs bf 18%

July 2007
    Neck 17" Shoulders 50" Biceps 16" Chest 44" Waist 34" Hips 38" Thighs 23"..... 5' 9" tall 189 lbs 19% bf

Cool

No, the diet is my own contribution. My intention was to lose a little fat and then load up.

Originally Posted by jaguarr
    I believe I'm living proof that this can happen. My fat intake has been WAY too low for YEARS and I just learned that my test is low thanks to some recent bloodwork. I'm taking steps to correct this, and upping my intake of good fats is one of those things. I found a really great EHA fatty acid compound in Lemmon's Oil that I do believe is helping me in that department. I also do fish oil caps every day, eat salmon at least once a week, snack on almonds, and enjoy a PB&J now and again, too.

Cheers,
    jag
    Excellent! I don't know how to dispell this myth that fat makes people fat. Some days I feel like a broken record, but some people just don't get it. Thanks for the back up on the testosterone.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004

July 2007

Cool 7/20/2005

My schedule this week does not really lend itself to bodybuilding.
    I work in an operations office and when I am on day shift (this week) I get up at 0300 to be at work at 0530. When I leave work at 1330, I am usually ready for a nap, but since the gym is on the way home I stop.
    A good workout usually perks me up, but today I was lethargic.
    My diet consisted of;

0330 - 4 oz chicken breast

0630 - 4 egg whites w/1 yolk,
    honey and oat carb bar

0930 - can of tuna
    16 wheat thin crackers

1230 - large chefs salad w/ 1 egg white, 2 0z turkey, 2oz low fat ham.
    6 oz chicken breast

1330 - 1500 workout

1530 - protein bar 20 gr protein 21 carb

1830 - 8 oz chicken breast,
    whole grain rice
    multi grain bread.

( I usually have brocolli cauliflower, black beans or some other carbish vegetable but we seem to be out of almost everything.)

2130 - (planned) 4 egg whites and 1 yolk

My plan is if I feel half way decent, i will probbly hit the gym again tomorrow, primarily because even though I spent some time there today, I don't feel it was a good workout. Today ended up being arms and legs, tomorrow will be chest, shoulders etc (more of a whole body type thing).
    To achieve this, I may have to add a station or two to the workout.

Comments on the diet ?

"I wouldnt belong to a club that would have someone like me for a member"

Cool progress

Thursday I hit the gym after work and spent about 1 & 1 /2 hours getting a good full body work. (I did this because I had such a miserable work on Wed.)
    Friday I stopped by the gym just to work out a few knots and do a little cardio.

Saturday and Sunday are off.

Monday I will go to the gym before work. (shift change)
    probably 1130 to 1230.

I am now at 232 lbs. thats a 6 - 8 lbs loss in 2 weeks.
    I will endeavor to lose more but I dont think I want to go below 225. I will have to see how that looks, then bulk up or lose some more.

Originally Posted by zootalors
    I am now at 232 lbs. thats a 6 - 8 lbs loss in 2 weeks.
    I will endeavor to lose more but I dont think I want to go below 225. I will have to see how that looks, then bulk up or lose some more.
    2 weeks is too soon to tell. Some of your loss is likely to be waterweight loss. You want to strive for 1 to 2 lbs of fat loss per week. It has been shown that those who do it this way, are more likely to keep it off in the long run. You are also less likely to lose muscle if you lose it slowly and do resistance training. It is a good start. You probably should eat a little more and see what that does to the weight loss.

aA.FreeRadical a
    Jun. 2004

July 2007

Cool update

Today, (Wed. ) is an off day.
    I have converted the workout into a four day a week workout for now.
    Once I get a little shape back i will taper off to three times a week.
    For now I work chest and back on Mondays and Thursdays,
    Arms and legs on Tuesdays and Fridays.
    I have upped my protein and carbs, plus added a little fat.
    We'll see.

Cool Thursday

Good day today. Did chest and shoulders, with a little back thrown in.
    was done in about an hour and felt like I did myself some good.
    I am still lifting medium heavy...that is not as heavy as I could but with a few more reps.
    This is the third full week and I will probably start heavy next week.
    It has really kept the soreness down while still getting a good pump.
    I seem to be holding steady at around 232 lbs. with an increase in protein and fat. The carbs just seem to come along for the ride, no matter what you eat, you just have to make sure they are mostly good carbs.

I wouldn't belong to a club that would have someone like me for a member.

Cool checking in

I am still at it.
    Basically working out four times a week I am down to 230 lbs, or maybe a little less. I am quite pleased with my results so far.
    I am thinking of taking creatine when I get down a little leaner.
    Any ideas?
    My diet is still basically proteins, good carbs, good fats in proportions to help me lose weight.

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Down 6 in about 2.5 weeks, that's great!

I am taking CEE creatine which is the newer type that you don't have to load. I am unsure whether it makes you leaner, I think it makes your muscles able to lift more, and larger (i think). But since it doesn't make fat go away, you really aren't getting leaner when taking it. (as far as I understand) The more experienced people may have more insight than I.

Mike

Cool namtrag

Is that a powder or liquid?
    has it helped you?

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It is a powder which tastes like s**t, you mix half a teaspoon into 16oz of water and drink it 1/2 to 1 hour before you lift, they also recommend you do the same dosage immediately after you finish. It is hard to really say , but I think it has helped my strength a lot, and I can definitely see my muscles better. You never know though, it could just be because I have lost some fat, and the muscles show better. Probably it's a mixture, creatine plus fat loss.

I ordered off the bb.com website, it is Higher Power brand, which bb.com owns.

Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000) Gunn27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Have you used creatine before, and if so did it work for you? Reason I ask is that quite a few people here are trying the relatively new Kre Alkalyn (by Sci-Fit). It comes in capsual or powder form. I am using the caps, and seem to be getting some benefit after trying creatine monohydrate and CEE, both of which I did not respond to. Just another option to consider.

jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm pretty much a non-responder to creatine. Even the Kre-Alk. For people who do respond to it, though, it can help increase cell volume and therefore help them realize some size and strength gains. Just be sure you're getting enough water! This is true all the time, but especially true when you're taking creatine.

Some points of interest on this topic:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/creatine.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/cee.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/microcrea.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/kre.html

Hope that helps!
    jag
    My Music: http://jaguarr.spymac.com

Bite into the apple of discord and let it nourish away your complacency.

Cool

I have been out of town and unable to hit the gym since Tuesday of last week. I feel guilty, but really had no way or time to do anything involving lifting. I did walk around Kings Island for two days..so that couldnt hurt.
    I wont get back to working out until Wed. ( and the rest of the week), I will hit it hard.
    Sometimes a little layoff can help, but after only one month or so, I dont expect to see much difference....Had my wifes personal trainer check my bodyfat...16.6%..much better than I expected. I weighed in at 230...she calculated 193 lbs muscle and 37 lbs fat.
    I still think the 37lbs fat is too much, would like to cut down although I'm not sure how much. I dont know if I posted this but I started out about 21% body fat.

Making progress and getting pumped for Mexico in Nov.

Question Todays workout

If anyone is interested, here is todays workout.

Bench press 3x8 205 lbs
    2x6 185 lbs
    Calf extension
    (standing) 2x18 240 lbs

Upright rows 4x8 100 lbs (not sure about weight of bar)

Military press 5x8 100 lbs

Back extension sit ups 2x30

press off back of neck 4x8 100lbs

Dips 2x10

pull ups 2x10

this took me roughly one hour today and after a week off it felt great.
    I am looking forward to tomorrows work out. (legs and arms)

mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000) mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000) mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000) mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000) mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000) mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000) mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000) mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000) mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000) mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000) mom24boys is just really nice. (+1000)
    hang in there....you will see results!

Cool Mom24boys

Saw on another thread that you are a Hoosier...I am native of Terre Haute but work in Indy.

Cool 8/21/05

Worked out yesterday for the fourth day in a row.
    Taking today off so yesterday did a full body kind of work.
    this is the only time so far that I have deviated (besides subbing some lifts I like better that accomplish the same goal) from the EAS plan I started with.
    Yesterday I did: (not in this order)
    Bench press (barbell and dumbbell)
    clean and jerk
    military press
    dumbell curls
    curls (on a machine that lets you add more weight to the beginning, middle or end of the movement,)
    upright rows
    dips
    leg press
    squats (machine)
    calf extensions
    4 sets each except for the dips and calf extensions, which were three sets each.

My weight seems to be steady between 228 and 232, which is fine because I am seeing much more definition, and lo and behold, my abs are back!
    They disappeared for a few years but if you look hard enough, you can see them. (still a long way to go). Thats about a ten pound loss with some fat being replaced with muscle. If I adjust my diet a bit I could drop some more but I want to see how this plays out first. I am more concerned with how I look as opposed to how much I way. I am optimistically thinking I have also cut my body fat to below 15%, but this has not been verified.

I have been taking:
    Liquid Creatine with AKG
    Tribulus
    Rutin
    Just added:
    L-Arginine
    L-Ornithine
    The tribulus and rutin are mainly for hemorrhoids aquired years ago.
    Any benefit they add to my program is just a bonus.
    (tribulus has a lot of saponins that are benificial in treating rhoids)

I should proofread

That should be weigh, not way.

Also beneficial not benificial.

Cool New split

I have decided to change my workout and split routine.
    With the old routine, it seemed there were too many days that I did not feel as if I got a good work. (probably my fault but....)

My new split is thus

Day one...
    flat bench press 3x8
    incline dumbell press 3x8
    Dips 2x8
    close grip bench 3x8
    skull crushers 3x8

day two...
    bent over barbell row 3x8
    pull ups 2x8
    deadlifts 3x8
    barbell curls 3x8
    hammer curls 3x8

rest day

day four...
    squats 3x8
    lunges 3x8
    hack squats 3x8
    stiff legged dead lift 3x8
    seated calf raise 3x8

day five.....
    military press 3x8
    lateral raises 3x8
    bent over lateral raises 3x8
    upright rows 3x8
    shrugs 3x8

The other split did seem to work... I am down to a steady 228 and have been seeing gains all along. It may be a mistake to switch up this soon, but we will see.
    I was taking creatine, but it made me gain weight (no I dont mean muscle, I think I started it too soon.) When I get to about 225 I will probably start trying to gain muscle weight. Right now I like to think I am exchanging some fat for muscle and shedding some of the other fat.
    So far I am happy with the results....I have always been a quick responder to exercise and diet and it seems I havent lost that.

I will post more often this week to track the new split.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi zoo,

Guess I was extra slow finding this journal. Sorry!
    Glad you are seeing progress!

The only thing I noticed that perhaps could be improved was the fats thing, as others have pointed out. In my nutrition plan, the fats were lower when the carbs were higher, but not that low -- plus I was having 260 grams of carbs and the lowest my fats were taken is the upper 30s, even then. I've had up to 60 to 80 grams of fat per day when my carbs were lower (i.e., 100 carbs) and I'm only 5'4.5" and weigh approximately half of what you weigh.

Even though you seemed pleased with your progress (and you should be ), if you keep your fats and calories in general too low for too long, it will slow your metabolism and eventually stall out your progress. You don't want to sacrifice too much lean mass either as that is what is keeping your metabolism going at a higher rate. Are you not getting hungry with fats and calories that low at your size? I would be ravenous. I suppose though, if you do it a while, the hunger pangs go away if your metabolism slows.

In any event, all of that is just constructive food for thought. I think the BFL is good nutrition plan and a decent weight lifting plan for beginners, but I thought their plan was more of a 40/40/20 plan as far as nutrition is concerned? Oops -- nevermind -- I just saw where you said the diet is your own contribution.

Your weight lifting looks like it is going well for you. I'm glad you're seeing gains! I'd do pullups first on back day.

Take care and Happy Labor Day!
    "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7

GOOOOO COCKS!!!!!! GOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!

Cool

Glad you mentioned that Hibby,
    I have altered the diet some...but it may make some of you shudder.
    I dont really keep track of calories,fats etc anymore, (crazy talk to some of you), but i do eat foods that are low in fat/with mostly good carbs. 6 egg whites and two yolks are the breakfast and before bed meals...Oatmeal with breakfast.
    Fish, chicken,turkey, occasionally a steak,etc are dinner meals, with tuna,salmon, and turkey wraps thrown in as afternoon snacks.
    Also the ubiquitous protein bar and protein shake for pre and post workout with a banana thrown in post w/o

I take a multi vitamin and a flax/borage oil capsule every day.
    when i cook, it is usually with olive oil

I guess my point is that the fats and carbs are probably higher than what I posted..I guess I should sit down and see what my average intake is...just for reference.

It does, however seem to be working, and since I am not hungry and thinking about food all the time, I think I am getting enough stuff to keep me going.
    One plus is at my job, I can eat when I am supposed to (every three to four hours,depending on whether I have worked out or not) also the menu adjusts for workout days....more protein etc. I guess I am just to lazy to put it all in here, plus I am not really a "detail" type person.
    I tend to hit the high spots and let the details work themselves out.

No labor on labor day (gym closed)
    I will hit it tomorrow.
    Thanks for the interest, and I will endeavor to keep everyone more up to date.