heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Lyle McDonald Generic Bulk Routine Experiences & Modifications

Hi guys,

I'm considering switching to Lyle's generic bulk routine. Wanted to talk feedback on the program from those of you who've run it. I have a couple questions.

How did you like it? How many times a week did you workout (this routine is typically 3 or 4 times)? Did you make any tweaks to the program? Also, did you do standard deadlifts or stiff legged?

Thanks in advance

Back To Wreck Shyt!! Siafu4Life's Avatar
    Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Siafu4Life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you're going to follow a specific program...I'd stick to the program. Usually making tweaks means you're deviating from a proven program, that has worked for many folks. Personally, I do the 5/3/1 routine with maximum accessory exercises, and have yet to try Lyle's routine. Good luck if you try it!
    Second Bulk Underway...

07/09 - 194.00
    09/17 - 190.00
    09/24 -
    10/01 -

Follow my evolution @ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139784033

heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) heavyliftset is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Siafu4Life View Post
    If you're going to follow a specific program...I'd stick to the program. Usually making tweaks means you're deviating from a proven program, that has worked for many folks. Personally, I do the 5/3/1 routine with maximum accessory exercises, and have yet to try Lyle's routine. Good luck if you try it!
    Yah I was planning on sticking to most of the program. He says the following himself so was curious what others have done:

"For the Thu/Fri workouts either repeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12 "

Mon: Lower
    Squat: 3-4X6-8/3′ (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3′ rest)
    SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3′
    Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2′
    Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2′
    Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3′
    Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2′

Tue: Upper
    Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3′
    Row: 3-4X6-8/3′
    Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2′
    Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2′
    Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5′
    Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5′

Wed rest,
    Thurs: Upper
    Fri: Lower

thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10) thelemac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here is a FAQ section that may help:

Sorry apparently I do not have enough posts to attach a link. But, if you search under Lyle McDonald generic bulking there is a FAQ at jcdfitness that should answer most of your questions.

I personally am doing this while cutting 4 days a week I had to reduce volume on the lower days as it felt like too much. I do essentially Squats and Romanian deadlifts on Mondays and Trap bar deads and leg curls on Thursday. I am cutting so between cardio and reduced cals this is about all my legs can take.

witty comment goes here SimonThePieman's Avatar
    SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by heavyliftset View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm considering switching to Lyle's generic bulk routine. Wanted to talk feedback on the program from those of you who've run it. I have a couple questions.

How did you like it? How many times a week did you workout (this routine is typically 3 or 4 times)? Did you make any tweaks to the program? Also, did you do standard deadlifts or stiff legged?

Thanks in advance
    This is kinda what I do, but i am also cutting, but any changes i have made are around injuries and timing. If do typically 3 days. I'll either continue the rotation, but recently I have dropped the 2nd lower work out as I have lower back injuries and am doing a lot of running at the moment

I find it really enjoyable
    Saying Zyzz inspired you to lift is like saying Justin Bieber inspired you to sing

Thanks guys...

Originally Posted by thelemac View Post
    I personally am doing this while cutting 4 days a week I had to reduce volume on the lower days as it felt like too much. I do essentially Squats and Romanian deadlifts on Mondays and Trap bar deads and leg curls on Thursday. I am cutting so between cardio and reduced cals this is about all my legs can take.

Ok that's interesting. I'm thinking I'd do Romanian deads too.
    Originally Posted by SimonThePieman View Post
    This is kinda what I do, but i am also cutting, but any changes i have made are around injuries and timing. If do typically 3 days. I'll either continue the rotation, but recently I have dropped the 2nd lower work out as I have lower back injuries and am doing a lot of running at the moment

I find it really enjoyable
    What have your results been like?

SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks guys...

Ok that's interesting. I'm thinking I'd do Romanian deads too.

What have your results been like?
    I do Romanian deads too. Great exercise.

I have been out with an injury so I am working back up to strength again fine, but I am cutting so can't comment on mass gains
    Saying Zyzz inspired you to lift is like saying Justin Bieber inspired you to sing

Originally Posted by SimonThePieman View Post
    I do Romanian deads too. Great exercise.

I have been out with an injury so I am working back up to strength again fine, but I am cutting so can't comment on mass gains
    That or I'll do plain deads (maybe at least every other week).

That or I'll do plain deads (maybe at least every other week).
    what i used to do andis probably better advice

L1
    Deads
    Leg press
    **assistance execise**
    calves

L2
    Squat
    RDL
    ***assitance exercise**
    calves

chose the assistance for your weakness and preferences. Or skip altogether. Things like GHRs, leg curls, lunges, famer walkers etc I go a busy gym so i had a plan, but if what I wanted to use was busy i'd grab something else.

Bump for more feedback on the routine and/or how people ran it