AdamJackson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamJackson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AdamJackson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

OK to workout on empty stomach.

I workout first thing in the morning. I've heard working out on an empty stomach is not a good idea, but I've been told by a local bodybuilder, who is huge by the way, that working out on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning is good, because the blood will go to the muscles where it belongs, and not to the stomach to digest the food.
    Also I read a recent interview in which Lee Preist says that he sometimes works out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
    Just wondering if anyone else trains in this manner with good results??

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AdamJackson View Post
    I workout first thing in the morning. I've heard working out on an empty stomach is not a good idea, but I've been told by a local bodybuilder, who is huge by the way, that working out on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning is good, because the blood will go to the muscles where it belongs, and not to the stomach to digest the food.
    Also I read a recent interview in which Lee Preist says that he sometimes works out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
    Referring to weight training only...
    Not a good idea... Optimally, you would have at least a small meal 60-90 minutes before. That way, you'd have time to digest your meal.

If you don't believe me, try it yourself. If you don't run out of gas 10 minute in, you're not training hard enough
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dom_88 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not OK! Don't fall into the trap of listening to huge people all the time b/c some of these people, like Priest, have genetics which enable them to get huge DESPITE the things they do, not necessarily BECAUSE of those things.
    Friendship b/w women:
    A woman doesn't come home one night. The next day she tells her husband she slept over at a girlfriend's place. Her husband calls 10 of her best friends. None know anything about it.

Friendship b/w men:
    A man doesn't come home one night. The next day he tells his wife he slept over at a friend's place. His wife calls 10 of the husband's best friends. 8 of them confirm he slept over, the other 2 claim he's still there.

AlexKidRock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If your hitting the weights then you will need some fuel,but if your after cardio for fat burning then it is good to work out on empty stomach.

tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AdamJackson View Post
    I agree with your local bodybuilder and Lee basically. I apparently made some of my best gains at one point due to working out after an overnight fast. HOWEVER, I want to conclusively prove this point to myself so I need more experimentation. Personally, I plan on lifting after an overnight fast, but I'll take some form of liquid supplement containing protein, creatine and other factors, e.g. whey and Animal Pump, prior to the lift and BCAA during the lift. Other than a good meal immediately after the workout, I'm still thinking about post workout supplementation.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 01-20-2008 at 04:53 AM.

jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jf1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

morning workout

the process of digestion, depending on the size and composition of the meal, is fairly rapid; your meal should be digested 30- to 90min so that you will have an 'empty stomach' after that time period.

yes, you should be done digesting your food when you workout;
    the process of digestion requires blood and energy to be shunted to the digestive tract, away from skeletal muscle etc...

i used to workout first thing in the morning for years during school:
    i would eat a bowl of cereal w/ milk before bed thus ensuring my glycogen stores were full.

upon waking; a glass of juice and banana to increase blood sugar levels and a cup of coffee to stimulate the central nervous system (CNS) and mobilize fatty acids, all readily digested and absorbed by the time i got to the gym and i was ready to workout!

empty stomach, full glycogen load, blood sugar up and CNS ready to roll!
    "As sure as the world stands, you jf1 shall spend an eternity in Hell in eternal torment..."
    jake24

TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100) TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100) TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100) TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100) TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100) TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100) TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100) TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100) TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100) TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100) TranceMaestro is not very well liked. (-100)
    its ok its ok

dunt u lizen 2 dem hat3rz m@ n1guh