Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Bench Press Hand Placement Question

When I normally benchpress, by hands are about shoulder-width apart. I've been watching lots of videos of large bench presses lately, and have noticed that many of the top lifters seem to place their hands as wide as possible. Is this a better grip? Does it reduce ROM or something?
    If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your
    mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest or some guy on TV telling you how to
    do your ****, then YOU DESERVE IT.

-Frank Zappa

A devoted acolyte in the Brotherhood of the Pink Elephant

part of DA...keep it on the QT

PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    find the grip where ur wrists are directly over elbows at bottom position of bench.

Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PitzaPapa
    find the grip where ur wrists are directly over elbows at bottom position of bench.
    Thanks dude. What is this, the ten thousandth time you've helped me?

-Frank Zappa

vascularing defination Newbtime's Avatar
    Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you a raw lifter?

Widegrip+raw=asking for injury

If you watch all the vids of guys benching ALOT raw(top guys,kenelly, scott etc) they use a close grip on raw, andwhen they use a shirt it gets alot wider.

Compair his grip in this 635 raw, to his 900+ shirted.

Originally Posted by Oldtime
    Are you a raw lifter?

Widegrip+raw=asking for injury

If you watch all the vids of guys benching ALOT raw(top guys,kenelly, scott etc) they use a close grip on raw, andwhen they use a shirt it gets alot wider.

Compair his grip in this 635 raw, to his 900+ shirted.
    Yeah, I don't have a shirt. These don't look narrow to me.

http://www.irongame.com/videos/RyanK...BP600x2Raw.wmv
    http://www.irongame.com/videos/ScotM...raw.warmup.wmv

Usually, when I bench, my grip is a lot narrower than that.

-Frank Zappa

Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Newbtime has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ryan kenelly uses ring finger on ring when he benchs raw, Which is pretty damn close.

Watch his 635x1 @ bench america, or www.irongame.com
    Last edited by Oldtime; 01-13-2006 at 03:51 PM.

Originally Posted by Oldtime
    Ryan kenelly uses ring finger on ring when he benchs raw, Which is pretty damn close.

Watch his 635x1 @ bench american, or www.irongame.com
    Yeah, that's a few inches wider than I usually use. My bar doesn't have those rings on it though, oddly enough. Any idea of the inch width of that?

Thanks for all your help

BTW, Ryan is the first powerlifter I have ever seen with black fingernails.

-Frank Zappa

pwrlifter21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pwrlifter21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    most powerlifters in comp. use as legally wide as possible to shorten
    the ROM
    limits(physical and mental) are made to separate the men from the boys

XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) XRAGEX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do a lot of my training with a narrower grip but wider in comp..The MM way...seems to work well, keeps the tricep's really strong without burning out the delts during a heavy workout.
    One rep..right through the ceiling!

youngster369 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) youngster369 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    When I'm benching I use shoulder width. You should just try different grips until you find the one that suits you best. Sometimes it may be wide, sometimes it may be close. Shoulder width is a lot more comforable to me so I stick with it.

T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100) T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100) T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100) T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100) T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100) T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100) T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100) T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100) T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100) T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100) T-man4lyfe is not very well liked. (-100)
    Wasting precious time on the internet to gain a few ego pounds on the bench press..... good one!

Originally Posted by T-man4lyfe
    Wasting precious time on the internet to gain a few ego pounds on the bench press..... good one!
    "ego" pounds?

Correcting your form, and doing it right, And adding more weight. Is considered "ego" lbs. Vrs 10 lbs less and bad form.... mmmkay......

Originally Posted by T-man4lyfe
    LOL WTF are you talking about?

-Frank Zappa

Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't think he even knows.

Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by youngster369
    When I'm benching I use shoulder width. You should just try different grips until you find the one that suits you best. Sometimes it may be wide, sometimes it may be close. Shoulder width is a lot more comforable to me so I stick with it.
    When you get older you will find that shoulder width just wont cut it. You are young and I wouldn't stick with the close grip. Bench, Squat, and deadlift are by no means comfortable lifts. If its comfortable chances are you probably aren't doing it right or probably aren't using enough wieght.