jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Tips For Breaking Past DB Shoulder Press Plateau

Hey guys, I've been stuck at the same weight (55lbs x8) for about 2 months now. I took a break around thanksgiving and actually dropped down a bit (couldnt complete a full 8), then got back up to being able to do about 2 sets of 8, and now I'm stuck there again. I've never done a shoulder workout without it, so I'm thinking of giving it a rest for 6 weeks, and doing
    1) Standing Military Press (with Bar)
    2) Behind the Neck Press

instead. Good idea? Any other suggestions?
    journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=134704251

_Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Switch to a BB press to the front or back if you got the flexability, and go back to it.

Lifter,
    "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless." Bruce Lee

"The pain of bodybuilding is inevitable, but whether you suffer or not is entirely up to you."

Consistency + Knowledge BodySculpting's Avatar
    BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BodySculpting has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had the same problem until recently. This is what I do whenever I plateau:

Say I am doing DB Shoulder Presses with 95lb and I can only get 6-8 reps on average. The next workout I will move up to 100lb and squeeze out as many reps as possible. In other words; your reps (8) are already pretty high, just keep moving up in weight. I would hardly call your situation a plateau and I am sure you can bang out 60's for at least 5 reps.
    "The only way out of hell, is through it. "

wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wannab-BIG- has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    lol yeah, sometimes heavier weights are easier try to figure that 1 out

jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jackstah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks guys. I will give those 60s a try then!
    journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=134704251

LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LiftingIsLife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BodySculpting
    I had the same problem until recently. This is what I do whenever I plateau:

Say I am doing DB Shoulder Presses with 95lb and I can only get 6-8 reps on average. The next workout I will move up to 100lb and squeeze out as many reps as possible. In other words; your reps (8) are already pretty high, just keep moving up in weight. I would hardly call your situation a plateau and I am sure you can bang out 60's for at least 5 reps.
    sounds like a case of just not having enough stamina to complete a set of 8 at a certain specific weight. i agree with BodyS, go up and cut down the weights.

best,
    ~lifer
    They ARE who we THOUGHT they were.....

PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Believe this one or not, bump up the weight and try to perform 4-6 reps for 3 sets and do the till you can get 3 sets of 6. But that really doesnt sound like a plateau in the first place.

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah just constantly change your rep schemes around, dont do "the same thing" all the time - if get stuck somewhere for too long, change it up a bit. And +food

Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Punch1546 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

aslo....

Try doing partial reps. Sometimes a "plateau" can just be that you are weaker at certain points of the lift than others. Lift from the bottom and halfway up and lift from the top and go halfway down. I agree with the others though, 8 reps is not a plateau. 8 reps is fine. My plateaus come from the 3 rep range. I usually do a 10, 8, 8, 6, 3 rep sceme. 3 is when I do the money weights and if those aren't continually growing, then I have a problem.
    I admit it. I like to use machines. I am a weight mahcine-aholic.