luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10) luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10) luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10) luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10) luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10) luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10) luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10) luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10) luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10) luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10) luckykris is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Evening gym goers, do you eat dinner before or after your workout?

Thanks
    kick some ass

gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500) gixxer2184 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by luckykris View Post
    Thanks
    Definitely after.
    1). cuz I need a post workout meal anyways and I usually like to eat the most after I work out
    2). unless you have 2-3 hrs to digest that food, when u work out on a "full" stomach u run the risk of indigestion, nausea, etc etc because the blood that runs the stomach organs when the food is being digested are forced to the muscles instead resulting in an unhappy digestion process

Hope this helped.
    ئەنسیکلۆپێدیایFlorida Gators Crewئەنسیکلۆپێدیای

B.S. in Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
    College of Health and Human Performance
    University of Florida

THEMACHOMAN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd also like to know, because I've heard conflicting views. Currently, I'm ahving it after and dinner is always light.

GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50) GreenEyedGinny will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    AFTER, unless you want to announce your presense with masssive gas.

i had a incident dinner than a hour later abs. oy vey never again

Wat_Ward has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1 hour before, and then no later than 30 minutes after.

TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000) TheKansan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I eat a meal an hour before, and usually drink a shake as soon as possible after my workout.

Pooki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thats what I've always heard, so I eat dinner after.. but how long after your workout should you wait to eat dinner if you drink a post workout shake?

my post-workout shake goes by the 4:1(carb : protein) ratio.. so its pretty filling after a workout.. at first I was chugging it directly after the workout, but remembered hearing somewhere that you can stretch out post-workout nutrition for up to an hour.. so I try to finish it as soon as comfortable possible now.. then usually wait for an hour after that to eat dinner..

Should I keep doing what I'm doing or am I missing something?
    Last edited by Pooki; 02-02-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: unwanted smiley

Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i think the common consensus is after, so you have enogh time to digest...unless you're eating 'dinner' at like 5/6 and work out around 8 but i don't see why you wouldn't just switch the two around in that case

Pooki has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sibrek View Post
    ...unless you're eating 'dinner' at like 5/6 and work out around 8 but i don't see why you wouldn't just switch the two around in that case
    well for me, thats something i cant do. I'm living in the dorms on an airforce base and only option for food(due to car and bike bills) is the chow hall, which unfortunately doesn't have optimal business hours for my current work schedule.
    Last edited by Pooki; 02-02-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: to prevent misconceptions

Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sibrek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Pooki View Post
    well for me, thats something i cant do. I'm living in the dorms on an airforce base and only option for food(due to car and bike bills) is the chow hall, which unfortunately doesn't have optimal business hours for my current work schedule.
    no problem with that then...all that matters is theirs food in you before or after.

PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PlateSlammer has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    eat after. especially if your dinner taste good i'll wait after words. takes 2-3hrs to digest so if you're taking NO i wouldnt eat dinner before hand.

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I generally eat dinner at 7ish and workout at around 9. I work out at home, and I get better workouts on this schedule.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000) Crazy_Desi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I usually eat dinner at 6:00-6:30, then I lift at 8:00.

My dinner is the following:
    1.5 cups brown rice
    4oz chicken breast
    veggies

Post workout is the following
    1 cup oats
    2 cups milk
    2 scoops whey

I'm pretty damn full after my pwo meal, so I just wait 3 hours and have my bedtime meal. Haven't had any negative results by doing this.

Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Thor211 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This is something I'm interested in too. I have just started taking a training class at 5 (when I usually eat dinner) and don't eat until 630 or 7. I don't want to eat right beforehand, so I'd eat at like 330, but I will definitely need something later. Eating at 7 is not great as I feel bloated when I go to bed (about 10). I tried eating a small dinner to avoid feeling stuffed but then was just so hungry the rest of the night.

ch671 is not very well liked. (-100) ch671 is not very well liked. (-100) ch671 is not very well liked. (-100) ch671 is not very well liked. (-100) ch671 is not very well liked. (-100) ch671 is not very well liked. (-100) ch671 is not very well liked. (-100) ch671 is not very well liked. (-100) ch671 is not very well liked. (-100) ch671 is not very well liked. (-100) ch671 is not very well liked. (-100)

Smile Definitely before!

Originally Posted by luckykris View Post
    Thanks
    Here's my reasoning, and it works for me, maybe not for everyone:

I have dinner between 5-6 pm, not before not after, I'm very rigid about it. My local gym closes at 10 so I can workout between 9-10 pm which also gives me time to shower and then get in bed. I can also hit snooze as many times as I want in the morning! The one big disadvantage to this is that after gym my energy levels are through the roof! And I find it hard to go to bed early so I just check memes :P

Another important reasoning is that I need fasting time after I have completed workout. This is because I don't have breakfast so basically 6 pm to next day noon is my regular intermittent fasting period and during this time insulin is very low, and human growth hormone (hgh) is very high. High insulin after meals suppresses hgh and also stores fat. Insulin tends to go down 3 hours or so after meals and then we can start burning glycogen/fat. hgh as we know helps repair tissue, muscles etc. So my priority is to workout during my fasting window and not during eating window.

EDIT: My thinking process about food and workout changed a lot after reading "The Obesity Code" and has helped me a ton! I lost 35+ lbs (took me a year because I was inconsistent)! 15 more to go!