Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does anyone actually believe in "Core" training?

I can't begin to describe how much this word annoys me, but anyways between Bosu balls and Swiss balls, I just can't deal with it. I guess my question is, does anybody buy into direct core work. If you are a serious lifter then I probably already know your answer.

Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    for what purpose? bodybuilding or sport?

its definitely an important part of functional strength for sport training, but having a strong core is going to increase your lifts and translate to bigger gains in the bodybuilding sphere too

But I only wanted to tone Viking22's Avatar
    Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by RUCKJN View Post
    I can't begin to describe how much this word annoys me, but anyways between Bosu balls and Swiss balls, I just can't deal with it. I guess my question is, does anybody buy into direct core work. If you are a serious lifter then I probably already know your answer.
    Most refer to core as simply abs, but it's actually everything from your knees to the top of your chest, front and back.

The balls, bands and goofy gadgets are rediculous, but in my short experience in working with swimmers and golfers, there's definitely a "core" part of the body that can be strengthened through normal compound movements to improve performance in those activities.
    Green: It's the new Red

Let's just pray we're still allowed to vote in 2012.

viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000) viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000) viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000) viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000) viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000) viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000) viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000) viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000) viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000) viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000) viper2510 is just really nice. (+1000)
    ive found the swiss ball to be useful for abs, but thats about it
    Member of the True Spartans

Don't be afraid to make mistakes, stumble and fall, because most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. Maybe, you'll get everything you wish for. Maybe, you'll get more then you could ever have imagined. Who knows where life will take you. The road is long, and in the end - - the journey is the destination.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Core work is extremely important (especially if you are training for things other than solely aesthetics).

Don't let the idiots who have watered down the meaning of things like 'core' and 'functional' win..... they are very important concepts... neither of which have anything to do with bosu or swiss balls.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rude boy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    until you get results from this kind of stuff, i can understand the skepticism people feel about it.. but start training with that type of equipment (bosu, swiss ball, med balls, etc..) and you will eventually have a tight, flat stomach and shapely back. it takes time..

knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rude boy View Post
    until you get results from this kind of stuff, i can understand the skepticism people feel about it.. but start training with that type of equipment (bosu, swiss ball, med balls, etc..) and you will eventually have a tight, flat stomach and shapely back. it takes time..
    Nah.
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165969711

MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000) MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000) MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000) MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000) MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000) MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000) MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000) MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000) MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000) MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000) MawkieMawk is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by knowles.ja View Post
    Nah.
    You're wrong, unfortunately.
    Core training helps a majority of your major compound lifts, too.
    There are articles I have read regarding these issues.

And, there is truth that core training is something that comes with given time, on a very strict type workout.
    Train Hard! -
    MawkieMawk

If Debt is the Problem, Why is more debt the solution?

knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) knowles.ja has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MawkieMawk View Post

And, there is truth that core training is something that comes with given time, on a very strict type workout.
    Oh.

Wait... nah.
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165969711

J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) J.L.C. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Core is an important part of my sport, but it develops as a result of the competition lifts.

Swiss balls don't do much to help split jerks, but split jerks sure as hell train the core like crazy.

therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) therorschach has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What?
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Having a strong core has nothing to do with a "tight flat stomach" or a "shapely back".
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i do some core training... back extensions and abs..... everything else i work during normal workout days.

i found it useful to do back extensions to help my body support heavy lifting for deadlifts squats etc.....
    Height:5ft 8
    Weight:156
    Body Fat %: 10%

biceps:14.50
    forearms:11.50
    thighs:22.00
    calves:14.0
    chest:40
    waist:30.75

max bench: 225
    squat: 325

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    This word/concept has been raped and bastardized more than the sudan.

blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blightning has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no ab work for me, if thats what your meaning by core work.

pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes, deadlifts.

RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RUCKJN has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I guess from a fitness stand point, I can't stand the term core. Yes, there is a "Core" of your body, if you will. I guess when people debate that the core needs direct work, is when I can't stand it. I'd like to tell these people to take a decent amount of weight, and complete a lift. Let's use shoulder press for example. If they sat there unflexed in their body, no decent amount of weight would be able to be moved, you must tighten up your body(Core) to complete the lift. Therefore, if you lift heavy at all, your core will be strong. I don't know, just one of many things that annoys the hell out of me.

cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10) cmdurham is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Viking22 View Post
    Most refer to core as simply abs, but it's actually everything from your knees to the top of your chest, front and back.
    So... basically everything I use when I deadlift?

Not meaning to be such a smartass, but most of the people I see at the gym regarding anything foam or inflated with anything but disgust are the same people you'll never see in a squat rack or deadlifting. So if you're a tennis player maybe playing with beach balls will help your swing; but if your sport is bodybuilding, shouldn't your routine already be servicing your core?
    Metal in my hands, Metal in my ears

Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    Core work is extremely important (especially if you are training for things other than solely aesthetics).

Don't let the idiots who have watered down the meaning of things like 'core' and 'functional' win..... they are very important concepts... neither of which have anything to do with bosu or swiss balls.
    Yes.

No.
    Interested in investing in militarizing poultry? Based in our Southernmost continent, no local taxes, no laws to worry about, guaranteed return! PM for further details

jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrs25 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I see these guys at the gym doing wierd single arm presses kneeling balanced on a ball, and all sorts of goofy lifts and exercises. Then I see them on the bench struggle with 135lb and on the squat having trouble with those as well. And they tell me they are building up their core, then they'll work on their lifts. WTF?! Lift hard and heavy, quit dickin' around with dat junk! The "core" will come. The core is an abused word that someone has previously already explained very well - something about Sudan.

dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dLewis187 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

in order words slow results
    im pretty sure i can work my core enough with deadlifts and squats

zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zarg02 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Some people do stupid **** and call it "core training," but if you dont think its important to have a strong core then you should really re-think your stance on fitness. It helps with everything from balance to power to stability.

zarg02, did you read my second post?

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    Can't we do both?

I do.

Try to do dumbell presses on a swiss ball, and freeweight squats on a bosu... THAT is hard my friends(enemies)
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

Originally Posted by nickmanzoni View Post
    Can't we do both?

I do.

Try to do dumbell presses on a swiss ball, and freeweight squats on a bosu... THAT is hard my friends(enemies)
    I do agree that is hard, but also is where some of my frustration comes from. Some (not all, if they are good) trainers have these people doing all of this goofy stuff, telling them it will be functional. Yes to a point it is, but sitting under something sturdy and moving more weight, will make them stronger...period. Functional is a loosely thrown around term for the common person. When does the ground move underneath us, like a bosu ball, never. Now don't get me wrong, if you were a professional skier or water skier, then it may have a place, since the ground is moving.

UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) UtahRocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Really? Athletes and serious lifters do direct core work. Not the kind the exercises you associate with core work though.

Originally Posted by UtahRocks View Post
    Really? Athletes and serious lifters do direct core work. Not the kind the exercises you associate with core work though.
    If you had read on, I don't consider those core work. We are in agreement.

Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Duckenheimer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you had read on, I don't consider those core work. We are in agreement.
    Weighted Crunches, Side Bends, Back Extensions etc aren't core work? What the hell are they working?
    Interested in investing in militarizing poultry? Based in our Southernmost continent, no local taxes, no laws to worry about, guaranteed return! PM for further details

pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10) pomaikai is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do agree that is hard, but also is where some of my frustration comes from. Some (not all, if they are good) trainers have these people doing all of this goofy stuff, telling them it will be functional. Yes to a point it is, but sitting under something sturdy and moving more weight, will make them stronger...period. Functional is a loosely thrown around term for the common person. When does the ground move underneath us, like a bosu ball, never. Now don't get me wrong, if you were a professional skier or water skier, then it may have a place, since the ground is moving.
    I see the ground move all the time. It creeps up on me or drops down when I am not expecting it to. Curbs just pop out of no where at anytime. The ground also cracks right in front of me as I am walking and causes me to trip. There is alot of surfaces with uneven or slippery footing and having a strong core helps to keep you from falling and getting hurt. Try walking on football size rocks. They never stay in place and without a strong core you will easily loose your balance. You have to remember that alot of people have almost NO strength in there core and need very basic almost rehab work. There are alot of people who cant even do one full situp.

Originally Posted by Duckenheimer View Post
    Weighted Crunches, Side Bends, Back Extensions etc aren't core work? What the hell are they working?
    Agree. Is there another definition for core that I am missing?