jampolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Seated Cable Rows

Was wondering whats the diff between a narrow grip and a wide grip (palms facing ) ?
    Does one hit the middle back and the other the outer lats ?

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    The close-grip helps keep your elbows in close to your sides for greater emphasis on the lats. A wider grip using a bar shaped like this (]------[), allows you to put more emphasis on the middle of the back by allowing for greater retraction of the shoulder blades and ultimately a stronger contraction.

That's why as I've been saying for a long time, there's more than one way to perform rows. Most people will tell you to keep the elbows in close which is fine if your main goal is to work the lats, but if you're already hitting them hard with chins/pullups (which IMO is the best way to work them), it makes a lot of sense to use rows almost exclusively to target the middle back (traps, rhomboids, etc.).

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    The close-grip helps keep your elbows in close to your sides for greater emphasis on the lats. A wider grip using a bar shaped like this (]------[), allows you to put more emphasis on the middle of the back by allowing for greater retraction of the shoulder blades and ultimately a stronger contraction.

That's why as I've been saying for a long time, there's more than one way to perform rows. Most people will tell you to keep the elbows in close which is fine if your main goal is to work the lats, but if you're already hitting them hard with chins/pullups (which IMO is the best way to work them), it makes a lot of sense to use rows almost exclusively to target the middle back (traps, rhomboids, etc.).
    Good post Dom. You hit it right on the head. Some people here fail to understand that different grip widths can emphasize different aspects of a muscle.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    ^^^
    <->

jampolin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is there a diff between narrow grip seated cable rows and T bar rows (both with a hammer grip) ? Seems the same except one is seated and the other standing.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yes. that's like saying is there a difference between bent ove rbb rowing and t-bar rowing.
    <->

FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by $AJ
    yes. that's like saying is there a difference between bent ove rbb rowing and t-bar rowing.
    Well what's the difference? I mean, I agree they're different, but when I think of how, besides the obvious, it really isn't easy to say. But to try to answer it, you're working through a slightly different arc, hitting the muscles from a different angle. For me personally, with t-bar rows I generate more power because of the standing position - I do them very heavy (for me), whereas with cable rows (which I do less frequently) I go lighter.