prosperity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Sore fingernails

Does anyone know what sore fingernails might be a result of? In bed last night my fingernails were so painful. It felt like someone was pulling them out. They?re still a bit sore this morning, too, and the only thing that seems to help is applying pressure to the nail (which doesn?t really help, because it?s not like I can apply pressure to all 10 at once.)

I haven't done anything specific that would make them sore (like gardening or knocking my hands about). Except, perhaps, for a LOT of typing in the past few days.

Yesterday I did remove nail polish, but I play with my nails at least once or twice a week - putting on polish, taking it off, filing them, etc. All I did yesterday was remove the polish. I've never had acrylics or anything like that which may account for the pain. My nails are long, strong, and quite healthy.

I was having a crash yesterday in regards to fatigue and motivation, so perhaps that is part of it? Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas what it might be?

FiTmUm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FiTmUm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FiTmUm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FiTmUm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FiTmUm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You may have a fingernail infection, hard to know. I have had this once due to being a little over zealous when digging in my cuticles and it got infected and throbbed, had to have antibiotics.
    AKA BuLKy FLoWeR :)

Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000) Lckymii is just really nice. (+1000)
    When I have long nails and I type a lot or use my hands a lot my fingers get sore. Probably because the nail is tapping constantly against something and being pulled at from all the constant use ect. I wouldn't worry unless it persists.

Thanks. I figure it's not an infection, because there's no redness or swelling, and they don't look any different. They're just sore.

They are heaps better right now, but still a little tender. Who knows? Probably just a bit run down. My skin has been more sensitive in the past week, too, which would point to me being over tired.

antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10) antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10) antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10) antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10) antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10) antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10) antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10) antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10) antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10) antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10) antiquemom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by prosperity View Post
    They are heaps better right now, but still a little tender. Who knows? Probably just a bit run down. My skin has been more sensitive in the past week, too, which would point to me being over tired.
    When you say sensitive do you mean prone to out breaks or tender? My daughter and I both have days when our skin in tender to touch. I've had this ever since I can remember, but have never given much thought to it till I read your comment.

pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10) pga617 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have strong, thick natural nails too & I've noticed that my fingernails often hurt after using nail polish remover. Usually only for a day, & it goes away, but that may be it.
    ***Taste is temporary....your body is forever***

IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000) IronCamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by pga617 View Post
    I have strong, thick natural nails too & I've noticed that my fingernails often hurt after using nail polish remover. Usually only for a day, & it goes away, but that may be it.
    x2, removing nail polish from natural nails, after having the nail polish on for a couple of days, will cause them to be sore...not sure why, but happens to me too!
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    I will choose a path that's clear
    I will choose freewill

Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174190821&referrerid=1173311

Originally Posted by antiquemom View Post
    When you say sensitive do you mean prone to out breaks or tender? My daughter and I both have days when our skin in tender to touch. I've had this ever since I can remember, but have never given much thought to it till I read your comment.
    Tender to the touch. And wearing ********* is irritating and makes the skin tenderness worse. I often find I notice it later in the evening, so I think it has a lot to do with being overtired.

I'm also noticing a correlation between being overly tired and using nail polish remover, and that's when my fingernails will be sore.

Moral of the story - more sleep for me!
    Last edited by prosperity; 01-26-2008 at 06:33 AM. Reason: poor grammar!

partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) partsRheavy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Post acetone

Nail polish remover is predominantly acetone, which is extremely drying to skin and nails. The combo of the acetone and the typing is probably causing the soreness.

To avoid the problem, use it less frequently and don't use it when tired. If you must use nail polish, keep the same polish for awhile rather than just changing it all the time.

Personally, I avoid the stuff...it's a pretty harsh chemical. I understand using it for special occasions but once a week is kinda often.
    investigating mechanics of pulleys, levers, and mass.

Yeah, I hadn't really thought about how much I used it. I live alone, and tend to get really bored in the evenings, especially if I'm watching TV. So I usually do something else at the same time - stretch, make *********, change my nail polish. I know, thinking about it now, it sounds incredibly prissy! Hahaha.

traildrifter2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink Sore Nails

It is the nail polish remover. I do not know whats in the nail polish remover that causes such sensitivty, However you can avoid this by washing your hands with warm soapy water after using the nail polish remover. Hope this helps.

Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i have quite long fingernails (yes they are acrylic, but my natural ones are the same length as the coating on top).
    Im a PA (personal assistant) so i do alot of typing and never find that my fingers are sore due to it.
    If you believe that it is from the nail polish remover you use, you can actually get acetone free nail polisher remover. thats what ive always used, seeing i have sensitive skin and ive never had a problem with it.
    other then that it could be a fungal infection. if the pain persists i would see your doctor.

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How can a fingernail be sore when fingernails are keratin and have no nerve endings?
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower

Ass courtesy of StepMill, Kate1's Avatar
    Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kate1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by pga617 View Post
    Yep, the acetone in the remover is very drying to your nails.

Dee-Dee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Sore Fingernails

You describe exactly what I experienced 2 nights ago. I woke up around 12:30 am in excruciating pain. I had no idea what had happened. The strange thing with my pain is it's only 2 fingers per hand - the ring fingers and baby fingers. It feels like something sharp had jabbed me up under each nail, or someone tried to lift my nails off. They are still sore today but not as bad. The only thing I can think of that I did different was use a new nail hardener on them. The instructions are to apply a coat every night for a week, then take it off and start over again. (My nails are so weak I need this) When the pain hit, it was the 3rd night of me applying the hardener. But if the hardener is to blame, then why don't all my nails hurt?

I've been wearing nail polish off and on for as long as I can remember - I'm 50 now - and I have NEVER experienced this before. They also look normal, no fungus or infection.

Dee-Dee

Originally Posted by prosperity View Post
    Does anyone know what sore fingernails might be a result of? In bed last night my fingernails were so painful. It felt like someone was pulling them out. They?re still a bit sore this morning, too, and the only thing that seems to help is applying pressure to the nail (which doesn?t really help, because it?s not like I can apply pressure to all 10 at once.)

I haven't done anything specific that would make them sore (like gardening or knocking my hands about). Except, perhaps, for a LOT of typing in the past few days.

Yesterday I did remove nail polish, but I play with my nails at least once or twice a week - putting on polish, taking it off, filing them, etc. All I did yesterday was remove the polish. I've never had acrylics or anything like that which may account for the pain. My nails are long, strong, and quite healthy.

I was having a crash yesterday in regards to fatigue and motivation, so perhaps that is part of it? Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas what it might be?

Dee-Dee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by EnigmaPower View Post
    How can a fingernail be sore when fingernails are keratin and have no nerve endings?
    Technically, it's the flesh immediately under the nail. It just feels like the nail is sore!

danicorum has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Sore Nails

My finger nails have been super sore the last week. It hurts every time they bump into anything or if i touch them. I do not wear finger nail polish or removed any. I have been tired all week. Well tired is an understatement. But there is no redness or swelling so its not an infection. I was just wandering if there was any other reason our nails would hurt? Everyone seems to think its nail polish remover.

kamig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Skin Sensitivity

Originally Posted by antiquemom View Post
    I am having the same issue here with the skin sensitivity. Seems to be occurring more frequently now...mostly my left hand and just ring finger and pinky. Suddenly my nail hurts, which is weird because I cut my nails regularly.

As for the skin sensitivity...been reading about it and it points to two illnesses: Diabetes and Fibromlygia. Anyone know or been tested for this with the given conditions?

figsdatesseeds is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by traildrifter2 View Post
    It is the nail polish remover. I do not know whats in the nail polish remover that causes such sensitivty, However you can avoid this by washing your hands with warm soapy water after using the nail polish remover. Hope this helps.
    So this has been happening to me for over 30 years... it is not the acetone, as I have filed the polish off to experiment... researching the topic for many years, it is a vitamin deficiency, mainly calcium and vitamin b. That will also explain being tired.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You haven't happened to move from lower altitude to higher altitude recently, have you? I had a similar issue (along with many others) after we moved to Colorado Springs from Dallas. My nail beds bothered me when I applied pressure to my fingertips, though.

hothanhtam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    maybe it's an infection or you catch Nail fungus