metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Does Chromium Picolinate Really work?

It is said to help promote muscle growth, but theres always been a debate whether or not it really works. What do you guys know about it? what are your experiences with it?
    I miss the twins :-(

sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawastea has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Veterinary Control and Research Institute, Department of Animal Nutrition, Faculty of Veterinary Science, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey.

1. The effects of chromium picolinate and biotin supplementation alone and in combination on performance, carcase characteristics, malondialdehyde (MDA), vitamin C, vitamin E, glucose and cholesterol levels were evaluated in Japanese quail exposed to high ******t temperature. 2. Two hundred and forty quails (10d old) were assigned randomly to 4 dietary treatments at room temperature (22 degrees C; thermoneutral, TN) or ******t (34 degrees C for 8 h/d; heat stress, HS). Both TN and HS were fed either on a basal (control) diet or the basal diet supplemented with 400 microg of Cr/kg (Cr group), 0.5 mg of biotin/kg of diet (biotin group) or both (Cr + Biotin group). 3. Supplementing the diet of heat-stressed quails with chromium picolinate improved live weight gain, feed intake, feed efficiency and carcase traits. Biotin supplementation during TN and HS conditions did not have any beneficial effects on body weight gain, feed intake, feed efficiency or carcase traits. 4. Either in combination or alone, chromium picolinate increased serum concentrations of vitamins C and E, but decreased MDA, glucose and cholesterol concentrations in birds kept at high ******t temperature. There was no difference in vitamins C and E and MDA concentrations between birds given chromium picolinate and birds receiving chromium picolinate plus biotin, while glucose and cholesterol levels were significantly lower in all groups. The lowest concentrations of cholesterol and glucose were found in the combination group under both TN and HS conditions. An interaction between diet and temperature was detected for glucose and cholesterol concentrations. 5. Excretion rates for zinc, iron and chromium were lower in TN groups than in the corresponding HS groups. Supplementing diet with chromium picolinate and chromium picolinate plus biotin decreased excretion of minerals while biotin alone did not effect excretion of minerals. 6. Chromium supplementation, but not biotin supplementation, attenuated the decline in performance and antioxidant status resulting from heat stress.

BioReliance Corporation, 14920 Broschart Road, Rockville, MD 20850, USA.

Chromium picolinate (CrPic, Chromax) is a dietary supplement that has been commercially available for the past two decades. CrPic has potential benefits for reducing insulin dependence in diabetics by increasing sensitivity of insulin receptors and in stimulating insulin binding. In this study, CrPic was tested for its ability to produce chromo****l aberrations in vitro using Chinese hamster ovary K1 (CHO) cells. CHO cells were exposed to a range of cytotoxic to non-cytotoxic concentrations of CrPic for 4 or 20h in the absence of metabolic (S9) activation or for 4h in the presence of S9 activation. CrPic was solubilized with dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) to attain the highest possible solubility for maximizing the test doses. Cells were treated with 96.25, 192.5, 385 or 770 microg/mL of CrPic for 4 h in the presence of S9 activation, and for 4 or 20 h in the absence of S9 activation. A distinct precipitate of CrPic was evident in the cell culture medium at 770 microg/mL, which was the highest dose tested. Results showed no statistically significant increases in structural or numerical chromosome aberrations were produced at any test dose level with CrPic in 4-h treatments up to a precipitating dose of 770 microg/mL in either the presence or absence of S9 activation. Additionally no aberrations were observed up to 385 microg/mL (the maximum analyzable dose) following treatment for 20 h in the absence of S9 activation. The percentage of cells with structural or numerical aberrations in CrPic treated cultures was not statistically different (p>0.05) from that quantified in controls at any dose level. The absence of significant differences from control levels demonstrates that CrPic did not induce structural or numerical chromosome aberrations up to doses that were insoluble in the culture medium.

PMID: 16216543 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Comprehensive NeuroScience, Inc., White Plains, NY, USA.

BACKGROUND:: In a small pilot trial, patients with atypical depression demonstrated significant positive therapeutic response to chromium picolinate. This finding is of interest because of the demonstrated link between depression, decreased insulin sensitivity, and subsequent diabetes and chromium picolinate's insulin enhancing effect. METHODS:: In this double-blind, multicenter, 8-week replication study, 113 adult outpatients with atypical depression were randomized 2:1 to receive 600 mug/day of elemental chromium, as provided by chromium picolinate (CrPic), or placebo. Primary efficacy measures were the 29-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HAM-D-29) and the Clinical Global Impressions Improvement Scale (CGI-I). RESULTS:: Of the 113 randomized patients, 110 (70 CrPic, 40 placebo) constituted the intent-to-treat (ITT) population (i.e., received at least one dose of study medication and completed at least one efficacy evaluation) and 75 (50 CrPic, 25 placebo) were evaluable (i.e., took at least 80% of study drug with no significant protocol deviations). In the evaluable population, mean age was 46 years, 69% were female, 81% were Caucasian, and mean body mass index (BMI) was 29.7. There was no significant difference between the CrPic and placebo groups in both the ITT and evaluable populations on the primary efficacy measures, with both groups showing significant improvement from baseline on total HAM-D-29 scores during the course of treatment (p < 0.0001). However, in the evaluable population, the CrPic group showed significant improvements from baseline compared with the placebo group on 4 HAM-D-29 items: appetite increase, increased eating, carbohydrate craving, and diurnal variation of feelings. A supplemental analysis of data from the subset of 41 patients in the ITT population with high carbohydrate craving (26 CrPic, 15 placebo; mean BMI = 31.1) showed that the CrPic patients had significantly greater response on total HAM-D-29 scores than the placebo group (65% vs. 33%; p < 0.05) as well as significantly greater improvements on the following HAM-D-29 items: appetite increase, increased eating, carbohydrate craving, and genital symptoms (e.g., level of libido). Chromium treatment was well-tolerated. LIMITATIONS:: The study did not include a placebo run-in period, did not require minimum duration or severity of depression, and enrolled patients with major depression, dysthymia, or depression NOS. CONCLUSIONS:: In a population of adults with atypical depression, most of whom were overweight or obese, CrPic produced improvement on the following HAM-D-29 items: appetite increase, increased eating, carbohydrate craving, and diurnal variation of feelings. In a subpopulation of patients with high carbohydrate craving, overall HAM-D-29 scores improved significantly in patients treated with CrPic compared with placebo. The results of this study suggest that the main effect of chromium was on carbohydrate craving and appetite regulation in depressed patients and that 600 mug of elemental chromium may be beneficial for patients with atypical depression who also have severe carbohydrate craving. Further studies are needed to evaluate chromium in depressed patients specifically selected for symptoms of increased appetite and carbohydrate craving as well as to determine whether a higher dose of chromium would have an effect on mood.

Publication Types:

* Clinical Trial
    * Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 16184071 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kieltyka34 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yes
    UniqueNutrition Representative
    www.uniquenutrition.net
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/uniq/uniq.htm

Disclaimer: The above statement is my own opinion and does not reflect the official position of Unique Nutrition.
    -----------------------------------------
    When I get under the bar, I don't worry about dropping the weight...because it's not going to happen

4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4amWorkouts has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I found no differance in muscle growth when I did or did not take chromium pic.
    The internet is equalled only by public education and network news in its ability to spread disinformation at an alarming rate...

Registered User iTransformed.com - Admin's Avatar
    iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iTransformed.com - Admin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All it ever did was give me diarrhea.
    ~LV~

Owner - www.iTransformed.com

Cutting Phase

5'10
    Start: 207.5

Current : 199

Goal: 180

It's Dark & Hell Is Hot MightyMouse1984's Avatar
    MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its included with my stack now and i think it works awesome......noticed a loss in body fat.
    "This Is The First Day...Of The Last Day" - NIN

metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) metswi6986 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MightyMouse1984
    its included with my stack now and i think it works awesome......noticed a loss in body fat.
    Do you relate the body fat loss to the stack, or the other products in your stack?
    I miss the twins :-(

xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I take 1-2 a day, one usually after my workout, so as to have it's effects come into play for the meal to follow. It increases muscle sensitivity for uptake of nutrients, so my meal following pwo meal is high in protein and has a good amount of good carbs, some of which hopefully get absorbed into muscle for repair and growth. The second dose depends on various factors. As posted above, studies do show that it does infact work. Personally, I think it's a good supplement to add to your regime. I'd recommend it.

It's Dark & Hell Is Hot MightyMouse1984's Avatar
    MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MightyMouse1984 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by metswi6986
    Do you relate the body fat loss to the stack, or the other products in your stack?

prolly mostly the stack but its cheap from bb.com...cant hurt
    "This Is The First Day...Of The Last Day" - NIN