The Colbert Report Ya Heard Right's Avatar
    Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cholesterol in Ground Turkey and Ground Beef

Hey,

I have recently bought a lot of 99% fat free ground turkey and the leanest ground beef I could find (96% lean).

These meats have perfect fat to protein ratios, the turkey has 28 grams protein to 0.5 grams of fat, 0 grams saturated fat.

However, both seem to have relatively high cholesterol numbers, 22% of daily allowance for cholesterol per serving.

I am not that familiar with tracking or watching out for cholesterol, I have always been concerned about sat. and trans fat.

Am I really missing something by thinking that these meats are healthy?

I have grown tired of chicken so I have been eating these meats all the time.

SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SoWise is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    unless your a couch potatoe i wouldnt be concerned with cholesterol levels with what your eating... (doesnt mean you should be jacking up your egg and beef consumption).

trans fat, hell yea aviod it like the plague.. sat fat? why avoid it? you need some to help keep your test levels regulated, but high amounts are bad.

unless your cutting i dont see a reason to go 99% lean... i stay at 90-93% lean beef...its definitley cheaper ...if your still worried about the fat, i pan fry mine and drain the excess fat, some people use their george forman.. Lean beef can become soo dry too.

The Colbert Report Ya Heard Right's Avatar
    Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10) Ya Heard Right is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SoWise View Post
    unless your a couch potatoe i wouldnt be concerned with cholesterol levels with what your eating... (doesnt mean you should be jacking up your egg and beef consumption).

trans fat, hell yea aviod it like the plague.. sat fat? why avoid it? you need some to help keep your test levels regulated, but high amounts are bad.

unless your cutting i dont see a reason to go 99% lean... i stay at 90-93% lean beef...its definitley cheaper ...if your still worried about the fat, i pan fry mine and drain the excess fat, some people use their george forman.. Lean beef can become soo dry too.
    I was wondering if eating these meats (99% lean turkey, 96% lean ground beef) are ok? Again, it is wonderful for fat to protein ratio 0.5 to 28, but the cholestrol seems pretty dang high at 22% daily allowance for a serving.

Should I really be watching this?

spartanx21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) spartanx21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How is 28g prot to .5g fat a perfect ratio... I personally swear by the 40 40 20 as its worked amazing for me and every other person who spends time in the gym. Unless you are eating it within 15 min after your workout, the perfect ratio actually comes in 93/7 or even drained 90/10. THink its like 7g fat to 24g protien, bout as close to perfect as you can get.

Edit: Also as long as you are excersizing i wouldnt worry too much about chol... Most history has been dominated by extremely fatty meat and eggs, and they were fine...

Da_Finch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Da_Finch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ya Heard Right View Post
    I was wondering if eating these meats (99% lean turkey, 96% lean ground beef) are ok? Again, it is wonderful for fat to protein ratio 0.5 to 28, but the cholestrol seems pretty dang high at 22% daily allowance for a serving.

Should I really be watching this?

That depends on if the cholesterol is high compared to the respective nonlean meats? I mean, are you looking at the cholesterol alone as packaged and thinking "dang thats high" or do you know if it is abnormally high compared to what these specific meats normally are?

Either way, I think the benefits of lean would outweigh any cholesterol concerns.

Also as long as you are excersizing i wouldnt worry too much about chol... Most history has been dominated by extremely fatty meat and eggs, and they were fine...
    True but most of history was fraught with an unpredictable food supply, too. Sometimes you ate, sometimes you went hungry. Its not like that today, for the most part.
    Last edited by Da_Finch; 01-16-2008 at 06:35 PM.

dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirtyeggroll will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    recent research shows that cholesterol is a stimulant to muscle growth (i'll see if i can find the link)... also like said before, as long as your getting decent excercise and have a decent amount of soluble fiber and ldls in your iet you should be okay