SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SilentBob has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Confusion over RMR for weight loss

If I am meant to be 500 calories under RMR, what about exercise?

If my RMR is 1800 per day, do I have to add the 600 calories or so that exercise requires, and the 300 or so that lifestyle requires?

So should I be eating

1800 + 600 + 300 = 2700 Kcal MINUS the 500?

Clearly Im a bit stupid for not being able to grasp this.

JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    RMR = resting metabolic rate, the number of calories your body burns with no activities at all. Also called BMR, Basal Metabolic Rate.

AMR = active metabolic rate, the number of calories required to maintain your weight including all daily life activities. (But exclude workouts if you like.)

So, your calculation looks like this:

RMR x Activity Factor = AMR

AMR + Workout = total calories burned

Total calories burned per day - 500 = calories to eat to lose one pound per week.

So, in your case, let's presume your activity factor is 1.5 (light desk work) and your RMR is 1800 (wherever you got that, presumably from an online calculator), and your workout is 600:

(1800 x 1.5) + 600
    = 2700 + 600
    = 3300 for maintenance

So, 3300 - 500 = 2800 to cut

Of course you don't work out every day. Just work out your total calories burned for the week, subtract 3500, divide by 7, and that's what you get to eat every day.

Once you do this for a couple weeks, you will find out what you are actually losing per week and you can tune things from there.

I will say, from my own experience, that the 1.5 activity factor was more than sufficient to cover my activities, so I had to cut calories a bit more. But again, it is experience that tells you this, so just work out a good guesstimate of the number, stick to it for two weeks, and evaluate.

Toxic Shock Syndrome toxicSHOCKzero's Avatar
    toxicSHOCKzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) toxicSHOCKzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) toxicSHOCKzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) toxicSHOCKzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) toxicSHOCKzero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If our calorie allowance is so high why the fat?
    My RMR is 2200 and assuming that I walk cumatively with a 30 pound bag an hour a day, I burn about 180 calories.

My intake is about 1700 on the gluttonous days and lower other days. Shouldn't I be losing weight rather than staying the same weight?

emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by toxicSHOCKzero
    If our calorie allowance is so high why the fat?
    My RMR is 2200 and assuming that I walk cumatively with a 30 pound bag an hour a day, I burn about 180 calories.

My intake is about 1700 on the gluttonous days and lower other days. Shouldn't I be losing weight rather than staying the same weight?
    How do you know your RMR is that much?

What are you eating?

JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    What are your height, weight, and BF?

Rowdy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rowdy1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can find out your RMR by visiting a Healthsouth facility. For around $40.00 they will give you a 5 minute breath test and it can give you an approximate RMR to work with.