needahobby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needahobby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needahobby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needahobby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needahobby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needahobby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needahobby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) needahobby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower Back Muscles

Alright, I've posted about back workouts before, and I've been looking and reading about back exercises. I've even been doing some, but mostly I don't feel like I'm using the lower back part because I'm not feeling any burn.

I know in the real world if you've got something heavy to pick up you lift with your legs, but in some cases you've got to put your back into it too, at least a little bit.

That said, do those muscles normally become stronger indirectly, or can you more directly work them? Thanks

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by needahobby
    Alright, I've posted about back workouts before, and I've been looking and reading about back exercises. I've even been doing some, but mostly I don't feel like I'm using the lower back part because I'm not feeling any burn.

I know in the real world if you've got something heavy to pick up you lift with your legs, but in some cases you've got to put your back into it too, at least a little bit.

That said, do those muscles normally become stronger indirectly, or can you more directly work them? Thanks
    I can deadlift more than I can squat. That "lift with the legs" crap was made up by employers who don't want to pay workmans comp.

Do deads, rack pulls, good mornings, and hyperextensions. Pick the one or two you like most.
    I don't know either lol

Still admirin Xmas brah? BaSsSiKk's Avatar
    BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    THE best way to work lower back muscles are heavy ass deadlifts using legs and back believe me the pain from these are immense and do promote growth all over the body.
    Another exercise is Good Mornings having the bar behind the back and leaning over keeping the core tight and stretching the lower back muscles and then coming back up. And finally there are hyperextensions which can be useful. Exercises such as squats also help strengthen lower back muscles.

Still admirin Xmas brah? BaSsSiKk's Avatar
    BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8
    I can deadlift more than I can squat. That "lift with the legs" crap was made up by employers who don't want to pay workmans comp.

Do deads, rack pulls, good mornings, and hyperextensions. Pick the one or two you like most.
    beat me to it

iced_maggot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    u dont realy need to directly work lower back (erector spinae lol, erector) as theyre a postoral muscleand are basically working 24/7, if u do deads and stiff legged deads, you should be fine, but if u absolutely must hyper extensions r the best to directly isolate it

geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50) geoffsherman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    (a) You should be lifting with your legs and not your back or else you are asking for problems. It was not invented by employers, it was invented by doctors.

(b) W8 has listed some great exercises for lower back movement

(c) A proper deadlift should involve your legs on the 1st half and your lower back on the second half of the lift

_Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by geoffsherman
    (a) You should be lifting with your legs and not your back or else you are asking for problems. It was not invented by employers, it was invented by doctors.

(c) A proper deadlift should involve your legs on the 1st half and your lower back on the second half of the lift
    Amen.

Lifter,
    "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless." Bruce Lee

"The pain of bodybuilding is inevitable, but whether you suffer or not is entirely up to you."

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by geoffsherman

if you keep a tight arch in your back, theres no reason not to lift with it.

i dont think its as black and white as "legs first half, lower back second". they're used at varying levels of intensity the whole time. its a compound lift, you're pulling with your upper back while thrusting your hips forward while pushing with your legs. people deadlift differently though, my buddy squats the weight halfway up then thrusts hard at the top, you can see 2 distinct motions but he deadlifts 100lbs more than I do so i'm not about to correct him. i do it in one pretty smooth motion. i really dont get much of a leg workout from deads, besides my hamstrings. i never feel it in my quads, its all lower back, hams, traps, upper/middle back and glutes for me.