Sculpteur de physique JekDaMuscleFlex's Avatar
    JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to make widegrips easier for more reps

Hi guys im about to start a HST routine, and im doing widegrip chinups for one of the back exercises i've chosen, now while i can do 8 chinups with my bodyweight, any more i will struggle so in the 12, 10 rep cycles of my HST routine, how can i make it easier so that i can pull off the additional reps required?

as always thanks in advanced
    Age 18
    Height: 5'6"
    Current Weight: 170lb (77.2kg)
    bf%: 14

Eating is the secret to gaining in everyway

TO GET RESULTS PUT THE EFFORT DO THE RESEARCH

adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    use one of those chin asst machines..and adjust your wt so that you can get the required reps for your sets

have a spotter hold your feet and asst you that way

use a chair/bench to place your feet on, using it as a spotter/body wt support

im outta idea's now...
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.

wutdafukdidujusaytomeulib 1quick1's Avatar
    1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1quick1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Chin assist machine all the way.

iced_maggot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    another whacy thing i can do is get one of those really strong rubber tubes rite, and put it around your waist and hook the other ends to the handle bars so that the elasticity of the band helps you pull up some of hte weight, i just came up with on teh top of my head so i dont know if it works, but its worth trying

also btw, if youre doing HST and you cant do any more reps, then isnt it time fore strategic deconditioning?

TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) TKD has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You need to work on your strength for that exercise.
    Do lower reps (5 or 4-6) with added weight on a dip belt.
    Start with a low weight and graduly build up the weight.
    Every once and awhile try to see how many you can do witth just the body weight

JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JekDaMuscleFlex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by iced_maggot
    another whacy thing i can do is get one of those really strong rubber tubes rite, and put it around your waist and hook the other ends to the handle bars so that the elasticity of the band helps you pull up some of hte weight, i just came up with on teh top of my head so i dont know if it works, but its worth trying

also btw, if youre doing HST and you cant do any more reps, then isnt it time fore strategic deconditioning?

The rubber tubes elastical force would have to equate to my bodyweight x gravity, as for the strategic deconditioning, i havent started the hst routine yet, im going to this coming monday, its just a matter of being able to do 12 widegrip chins to follow the HST programs theories if u will,
    Age 18

Originally Posted by iced_maggot

The rubber tubes elastical force would have to equate to my bodyweight x gravity, because when it lifts me up, it would have to be able to pull both my body weight and more upward force than gravity which is the opposing force as for the strategic deconditioning, i havent started the hst routine yet, im going to this coming monday, its just a matter of being able to do 12 widegrip chins to follow the HST programs theories if u will,

i am training at home (well i have a gym membershp but much prefer the convenience of home) so the whole idea is to eliminate the need to go gym and thus renders me without the "assistant machine" apparatus henceforth why i bought a chinup and dip station for the home :P
    Age 18

Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know if the HST program allows this, but you could do 8 reps with your BW, followed by 2 reps of slow negatives to complete the set, thereby giving you 10. Or is that cheating too much?

zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500) zfan88 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Do what you can do by yourself, then jump up and do negatives for the rest

humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) humpty_dumpty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    TIE STRING AROUND YOUR WAIST WAIST THEN TIE A WEIGHT ON THE END AND HAND THE WEIGHT OVER THE PULL-UP BAR SO IT TAKES THE AMOUNT THE WEIGHT IS AWAY FROM YOUR BODY WEIght if you understand ps sorry for the caps lock

jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jocularric is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do as many as you can, rest a minute and do the rest.

Do as many as you can, then switch to CG Pull-ups. You won't be hitting the your lats in the same way but you'll still be hitting them.

Choose another exercise that you can do without assistance.
    You can play the game or live the adventure.

Goals--To be able to do the following exercises:
    Front Lever Pull-ups
    Planche Push-ups
    Muscle Ups
    Human Flag

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have tried pullups with bands (the rubber ironwoody ones). They work great, but you really need a spotter there to help you get into them, at least on my pullup bar. Best case is doing 8 yourself, then putting your feet in a spotters hands as he gives you just enough assistance to complete the rest of your reps. These work good. My roommate cant do any pullups, and I spot his feet and with that he can do 6 by pushing hard into my hands. I can do 3, 4 on a good day and with a spot I've done 15, using minimal assistance at first, then pushing harder and harder into the spotters hands as the reps get tougher.

Also slow negatives are good. Jump up to the top and hold yourself above the bar. Then slowly lower yourself, controlling the speed of the descent through the whole ROM. Dont need a spotter for these.

I'm not a fan of the assisted machines, I used one to work my way up to real pullups and I was shocked by how much I swayed even while hanging. While I was developing lat strength no doubt, my core wasnt doing any work at all and now its definately under-developed on the movement. I would try as hard as you can to stay on a real bar with the help of a spotter, using negatives, etc... instead of using an assisted machine.

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    DON'T DO WIDEGRIP PULLUPS

That's the weakest and most inferior version of the pull-up. Do normal grip or hammer grip. You'll be able to do more.
    I don't know either lol

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    two things that built up my pullups

-partial reps, keep the tensions constantly on your lats
    -static holds on the bar, just pullup until you reach peak tension and HOLD for as long as possible

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by humpty_dumpty
    TIE STRING AROUND YOUR WAIST WAIST THEN TIE A WEIGHT ON THE END AND HAND THE WEIGHT OVER THE PULL-UP BAR SO IT TAKES THE AMOUNT THE WEIGHT IS AWAY FROM YOUR BODY WEIght if you understand ps sorry for the caps lock
    Holy ****, that's a really good idea. Never heard that one before.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

iced_maggot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8
    DON'T DO WIDEGRIP PULLUPS

HATE CRIMMMMEMESSSSSSSSSS

Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just do the 8 rep,s or as many as you can ,until you can get 12.....which shouldn`t take too long if you train consistantly.

Reps should never be carved in stone,they should be goals!!

To think that because you can`t get 12 chins you can`t follow this program is ridiculous!!
    2012-Rising Like The Phoenix !!

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    avoid sissy-assed assisted machine.

do rack chins - the added leverage will let you do more.

and wide-grip pullups/benching/rows/etc... sucks ass. shoulder width all the way.
    <->