Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Walking Lunges vs. Stationary Lunges

Continuing with the leg exercise questions, what do you think. Walking Lunges Or Stationary Lunges. And while we're at it, alternate legs, or each leg to exhaustion?

I'd personally say walking lunges if there's space available although I'd wonder what my neighbors would say If I started going up and down the street with a barbell accross my shoulders. They'd probably call the police.

2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000) 2 HUGE is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Choktu
    Continuing with the leg exercise questions, what do you think. Walking Lunges Or Stationary Lunges. And while we're at it, alternate legs, or each leg to exhaustion?

I'd personally say walking lunges if there's space available although I'd wonder what my neighbors would say If I started going up and down the street with a barbell accross my shoulders. They'd probably call the police.
    LOL, the police... haha i use a BB and do stationary lunges, and don't alternate legs. space is an issue though in a gym.
    $

"No fck that, I'm not gonna miss any reps. I'll die before i miss a rep." - dynamik, #1

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I use DB's and do stationary lunges. I do not alternate legs, just a preference.

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do stationary and alternate legs
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

Suffers from mazophilia RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i do stationary lunges with DBs, and I do alternate legs

AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)
    Excellent Lunge info:

Phase One
    Your first objective as a neophyte lunger is to grow accustomed to the movement's range of motion. The exercises in this phase help you build your stabilizer muscles, diminishing the possibility of injury. Even the most advanced lungers should incorporate these into their workout as warm-up exercises. If you're already familiar with lunges and currently perform them with weights, you should also begin to mix Phase Two exercises into your routine.

Stationary lunge

Without using any weight, take a long step forward (your leer should be three or four feet apart). Slowly lower yourself until your back knee nearly touches the ground. At first, balance your body weight between your front and back legs so you feel the stress in both. As you become more comfortable with the movement, shift the emphasis of the weight toward your front leg. Do 10 reps, then switch legs. (If you're having trouble with balance, grab a squat rack or other piece of equipment. Work up to performing all three sets without assistance.) Once you've got the motion down, repeat the same process with a short barbell across your traps. Because of its length, a short bar allows you to develop better balance than an Olympic bar. Once you're able to perform three sets of 10 without wobbling, you're ready to take on stepping lunges, the crux of the lunge workout.

Unilateral/alternating stepping lunge

The execution of unilateral and alternating lunges is similar. With either variety, you must get used to the motion before you start piling on weight. With your hands on your hips, or holding a short barbell across your traps, step forward three or four feet and lower your weight until your back knee is almost touching the ground. Most of the weight should be absorbed by the quadriceps of your stepping leg. With the workload focused on your front quads, push up evenly from your front toe and heel, returning to the original standing position. For unilateral lunges, repeat until you complete 10 reps with one leg, then perform 10 reps with the other. As you get used to performing these, begin adding weight. Start with a light cambered or short barbell (20 to 45 pounds), or two light dumbbells. You can also begin to perform alternating lunges. For these, alternate legs until you've completed 10 reps with each leg. These exhaust your thighs at a near-equal pace and are somewhat more challenging than unilateral lunges, which allow one led to rest while you focus on the other.

Walking lunge

This is an excellent exercise for targeting your glutes. Because the thrust of your momentum is constantly forward, it's somewhat more difficult to target your quadriceps. Walking lunges are a bit risky because as your leos tire, you open yourself to the possibility of misstepping. Balance can also be tricky, so use dumbbells rather than a barbell. With several yards of clear space in front of you, begin the motion as you would for alternating lunges. Step forward three or four feet and lower your body. As you raise yourself back up, shift your weight onto your leading led and bring your back leg up. You may want to pause with the weight evenly balanced on both legs. As you become more experienced, take your trailing led through and continue forward without pausing, mimicking the motion of normal walking.

Phase Two

In this phase, you'll work on strengthening your stabilizer muscles. Keep doing the exercises from Phase One while slowly adding weight in small increments. You'll begin to see increases in both mass and definition as you incorporate the following exercises.

Dumbbell lunge

This exercise is basically a variation on other types of lunges, such as unilateral and walking lunges, and can be performed in place of them. It also offers several unique advantages: Dumbbells are easier to control, facilitating balance, and you may be able to use more weight than you would with a barbell. Stationary dumbbell lunges also exert less pressure on your spinal column, making them an excellent alternative for those with back trouble. Start with a dumbbell in each hand. Step forward two or three feet, then lower yourself until your forward thigh is almost parallel to the ground and the knee of your back led is almost touching the ground. Press through your front foot as you return to the starting position. Don't swing the weights as you complete the motion. Use wrist straps for support if necessary.

Phase Three

In this final phase, gradually add weight to the movements described above while also incorporating the following advanced movements into your workout. This is a serious mass-building phase, targeting muscles that are infrequently recruited during regular weight training but are essential for explosive athletic movements.

Side lunge

This advanced exercise develops your hip abductors and abductors, plus your quads. It's ideal cross-training for tennis, basketball and any other sport that demands quick lateral movement. Perform these with a barbell across your shoulders, and use less weight than you've been using on the simpler moves. This particular exercise motion is tricky and may feel uncomfortable, so warm up with no weight before you begin. Start as you would for stepping lunges. With your left leg, step out two or three feet to the side, keeping both feet pointing forward. Keeping your right leg straight throughout the motion, bend your left leg, lowering your body until your left thigh is nearly parallel to the ground. Press up through your left heel, returning to the starting position. You can perform these unilaterally, completing 10 reps with one leg and then switching, or alternately, switching back and forth between legs.

Reverse lunge

This advanced movement mimics a one-legged squat and requires more balance than many other types of lunges. As with all these exercises, strict form is crucial. Step two or three feet back with one leg, placing only the toes of your back foot on the ground. Lower yourself until your back knee is almost touching the ground, keeping your upper torso upright, your abs tight and your hips rotated back. Maintain continuous tension on your front quads to emphasize them. Mirroring the motion of the squat, push through your front foot to lunge your body back to the starling position.

LUNGE TIPS

* The wider the step, the more you recruit your glutes. A narrower step tends to emphasize your quadriceps.
    * To target your quads, keep your weight evenly distributed on your front foot. Putting too much weight on your heel overemphasizes your glutes at the expense of your quads.
    * You don't want your knee to move out over your foot when you lunge forward. This puts undue stress on your knees and poses a serious injury risk.
    * You can use a Smith machine for reverse lunges. This reduces the amount of balance required, making it simpler than doing barbell reverse lunges.
    * Lunging onto a raised platform or similar incline is another way to target your glutes

text pasted from (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...14/ai_53286963)
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

bizzump

MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDominatus has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This is GREAT info.. thank you so much. Reps to this.
    Height - almost 5'10"
    Current weight - 152 - WTF?

Workout Journal... http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=677394

[url]http://www.myspace.com/msnubility[/url]

Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wang Chung has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Walking or stationary, either way it's PURE PAIN!!! Lunges have to be my least favorite exercise. But that thanks for that article, crazy german guy. :up:

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah, they are pure pain! For those who dont do them, mix it up sometime and try them. They give a crazy pump thoughout the entire leg/ass. They will make you sore for days!

Crazygerman; great article!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to crazygerman again.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    when i do stationary lunges i like to do each leg for a whole set. i guess like everyone said its preference. i dont like the feel of switching, i like to get in to the groove of the one leg vibe

ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ATrainer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Lunges are way overrated. There are squat variations that are far better use of time, resistance.
    www.revised-training.com
    Training got better

Originally Posted by ATrainer
    Lunges are way overrated. There are squat variations that are far better use of time, resistance.
    I disagree, but we are all entitled to our own opinions right! Maybe a one leg squat variation would be comparable.

olava has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I alternate plus use a front grip like variation much like the clean rack position.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Choktu

Alternate-this forces you to do equal reps per leg.

Back step lunges allow for the greatest ROM possible on lunges (which, coincidentally, allows for more ROM than any leg exercise).

I'm glad you're doing lunges-they are #1 in my training regimen and they ALWAYS will be.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

jblack1485 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Choktu View Post

Def stationary, as the push backwards from the bottom is the most important part. Hits the top of your glutes.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Every time I do walking barbell lunges (and I do them every week) I feel like I sprinted 5 miles.

Not sure if this is good or bad, because I'm not after cardio.

But I'm also pretty sure it's nailin my quads, hammies, and the hip muscles responsible for lateral stabilization (they don't get hit much from other exercises I do)

The lateral stabilization aspect is the main reason why I do it. I feel it really helps achieve hip and knee joint balance which is crucial for the 300+ lb squats I'm doing.

I also feel that walking lunges hit my quads harder than squats. My squats are always posterior chain dominant. 'Cept front squats, which I also do every week.

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by jblack1485 View Post
    Def stationary, as the push backwards from the bottom is the most important part. Hits the top of your glutes.
    But he never said he wanted to hit that...

That's the problem with lunges, nobody knows what they're trying to hit.

Although the top part of your glute region you're referring to is the same I said I was trying to hit: the muscles that stabilize lateral movement in the hips and knees.

magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For the longest time I did db lunges and now I do bb lunges. My personal preference is barbell now but I've always done stationary and think walking might me worth switching to eventually.
    East Coast Mecca
    http://bevfrancis.com/

Originally Posted by magic15 View Post
    For the longest time I did db lunges and now I do bb lunges. My personal preference is barbell now but I've always done stationary and think walking might me worth switching to eventually.
    Barbell lunges is 10000x more manly than DB lunges. You will never see a girl doing BB lunge but they do DB all the time.

+ the bar is very well supported by your core.

Does thou even hoist? TheMinimalist85's Avatar
    TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheMinimalist85 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Sorry to bump an old thread!!

Would cyclists and wrestlers be better off doing the forward stationary lunge or the reverse stationary lunge?

amandacake is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kanis999 View Post
    Barbell lunges is 10000x more manly than DB lunges. You will never see a girl doing BB lunge but they do DB all the time.

+ the bar is very well supported by your core.
    Yeah, um, this girl does BB lunges AND I do both walking and stationary, depending on the space available.