WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10) WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10) WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10) WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10) WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10) WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10) WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10) WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10) WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10) WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10) WildBillyT is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Shoulder injury-from a FNG

Hi everyone, new guy checking in. Looks like a great place to hang out. Please let me know where posts like this belong if this is not the topic it should be in.

Anyway, on Dec 19 I was doing my chest routine when I felt my left shoulder pop a little. I didn't drop the weight or feel any pain, and went about the rest of my workout with no further problems.

The next morning I noticed that when I moved my wrist behind my back my shoulder would pop in and out and I would feel a twinge of pain. I didn't want to injure it any further, so I took 4 days off, then did my cardio routine, then another 3 days off. After this time, the pop and twinge went away, and I was able to do my arm and leg routines with no problems.

Two days ago I attempeted to do my chest routine again, and when I did my first few reps on the flat bench I felt a mild pain in my shoulder, so I stopped and went back to cardio. I realize now that this was a mistake.

My shoulder appears to be healing fine and it doesn't pop, but I am curious as to what I should expect as far as when I can return to doing my chest routine. Or, in other words, how long do injuries like this usually take to heal?

I'm going to use this time to try and cut my body fat numbers on the bike, but I'm going a little crazy not being able to lift my chest hard. I was gearing up to ring in the new year with a PR, but I guess that just wasn't in the cards.

Also, is there any type of supplementation I can do to try and prevent these types of things from happening? I am already going to restructure my workout, and my form is good.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by WildBillyT; 01-03-2006 at 12:45 PM.

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by WildBillyT
    Hi everyone, new guy checking in. Looks like a great place to hang out. Please let me know where posts like this belong if this is not the topic it should be in.

Anyway, on Dec 19 I was doing my chest routine when I felt my left shoulder pop a little. I didn't drop the weight or feel any pain, and went about the rest of my workout with no further problems.

The next morning I noticed that when I moved my wrist behind my back my shoulder would pop in and out and I would feel a twinge of pain. I didn't want to injure it any further, so I took 4 days off, then did my cardio routine, then another 3 days off. After this time, the pop and twinge went away, and I was able to do my arm and leg routines with no problems.

Two days ago I attempeted to do my chest routine again, and when I did my first few reps on the flat bench I felt a mild pain in my shoulder, so I stopped and went back to cardio. I realize now that this was a mistake.

My shoulder appears to be healing fine and it doesn't pop, but I am curious as to what I should expect as far as when I can return to doing my chest routine. Or, in other words, how long do injuries like this usually take to heal?

I'm going to use this time to try and cut my body fat numbers on the bike, but I'm going a little crazy not being able to lift my chest hard. I was gearing up to ring in the new year with a PR, but I guess that just wasn't in the cards.

Also, is there any type of supplementation I can do to try and prevent these types of things from happening? I am already going to restructure my workout, and my form is good.

Thanks,
    Bill
    What's probably getting you is the "Gearing up to the PLing routine."

You have to keep in mind that connective tissue takes longer to heal and adapt than muscle...

Sounds like you probably just tweaked the AC joint, or have some RC inflmation...

Almost anything minor in the shoulder takes 2 weeks of rest...
    (If it's not better, then it's unquestionably doctor time!)

On the bright side it sounds like it's definitely improving...

I would give it the two weeks off to right itself...

I mean what's missing 2 weeks of lifting compared to the lifetime you have a head!
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha