joosauce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

drinking and working out...is wine OK?

I was talking to a former bodybuilder at a supplement shop the other day. I am a college student with a well balanced diet and excersize routine, however, in the past my main vice has been drinking regularly (c'mon its college). and by regularly i mean weekend drinking socially. (Friday and saturday, sometimes thursday, 3-4 mixed drinks, light beer ect.) The guy told me this was terrible and after reading alot of these articles posted on the boards about alcohol, i agree. However, the guy at the shop said that red wine is ok to drink. (Men's Health magazine also stated this, claiming 1-2 glasses a night is good for you.) The problem is,1) i have a very high tolerance, so 1-2 glasses doesn't buzz me, and 2) drinking wine isn't the most "socially acceptable" form of drinking.

So here is my question: Is it better to consume 3-4 glasses of red wine 2x a week, or 2 mixed drinks 2x a week? Obviously the best answer is don't drink at all.. but dude... like i said before.. its college.

loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10) loz86 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    alcohol stops protein synthesis so i dont tend to drink within 48 hours after training, but other times i do quite a bit.. gotta have fun while ya young and life aint all about training

also at a young age i wouldnt worry about the extra calories, unless your cutting of course

DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoItUp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    when mens health said too drink 1-2 glasses of red a night its for the health reasons and antioxidants apparently in the wine. It's irrelevant how high your tolerance to alcohol is, its not the alcohol in the wine that is good for you its the other stuff, so drink 1-2 a night if you want it for health reasons, but as for the weekend drinking, if you want to drink that bad then go w/ light beer

any kind of alcohol in general is bad for working out( protein synethesis) the guy above me posted, so if your serious about your gains then you probably just wouldnt drink, but thats your choice
    PTS, NCCP, going to be working on CSEP once I finish my undergrad

Working on my honours BASc in Kinesiology and health and fitness promotion

-education and application need to used together, without one the other is useless

On the way to 200+ pounds KevinSorbo's Avatar
    KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KevinSorbo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    mens health is completely wrong, the antioxidants can be found in other non-alcoholic foods, and that is the only supposed benefit. The negatives of the wine far outweigh the one benefit of antioxidants.

-Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Undertow- is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by loz86 View Post
    life aint all about training
    fail
    current goals:
    17'' arms
    16'' calves
    lean 190 lbs

joosauce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    alcohol stops protein synthesis so i dont tend to drink within 48 hours after training, but other times i do quite a bit.. gotta have fun while ya young and life aint all about training

also at a young age i wouldnt worry about the extra calories, unless your cutting of course
    Right now i'm in a bulking cycle....does that mean its ok? haha..and whats worse.. the extra calories packed on by the beer/hard liquor or the sugars that usually follow it in sports/energy/fruit/soda drinks. (i try to only use sugarless club soda as a mixer)

MKAce has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by -Undertow- View Post
    fail
    thats why ur small and hes jacked, when you take things too seriously you fall off

smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) smbrown3706 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    gotta have fun while ya young and life aint all about training
    Truth. Also, it's only training if you're actually planning on competing in some sort of event. Otherwise, it's just working out, and life's definitely not all about working out