punkboy1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working Inner Chest

I'm having problems building my inner chest.
    My routine is:
    flat bench 4x8-12
    incline press 4x8-12
    decline press 4x8-12
    flat bench flyes 3x8-12
    cable crossovers 3x10-15
    sometimes pec deck 3x8-12
    any suggestions on what I could add to that routine to help my inner chest?
    thanks.

smoothdster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    im not one to complain about this...but SERIOUSLY...SEARCH...with your eyes

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i'd drop the decline presses and replace them with the pec deck where you hold at peak contraction for 5 seconds or longer between each rep. also make sure that you use complete range of motion in the bench press and try holding at the top of each rep for 3 seconds.

do you do close grip presses when training ur triceps? and conventional bbing wisdom would probably advise against 4 sets. perhaps they are working well for you, but if u haven't already, try 3 more intense sets.

do keep in mind however, that chest shape is largely genetic (in terms of inner and outer, upper and lower is a very different matter). there is no real "inner chest" area that is actually isolable with lifts, but you can do a little something something in there.
    Last edited by Pump Freak 86; 07-08-2006 at 05:18 PM.

Lateral Raise Promoter RippedGuitarist's Avatar
    RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RippedGuitarist has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Take your cable flyes beyond ROM. Another words let your hands pass each other and go until your elbows touch. Alternate each rep as far as which arm is on top.

One arm cable flyes, as far across chest as possible.

Hold contraction briefly. I don't see any point in 3-5 seconds, especially in the bench press, but to each his own.

Atrainer flyes might be worth a shot, I have yet to try them(Supinated cable flyes, using a flat or incline bench is suggested.) I was gonna try them this week, but I got a damn cold. Can't wait till tuesday!

Also you probably already know, your volume is extremely high. If your chest is lagging this could be why. I'm not saying your volume is too high for you, because I can't make that judgement online, but just be aware that its a possibility if your having trouble.

Give it time, inner chest usually takes more time to respond, this is why you get a lot of newbies asking how to build it up, it takes time.

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)
    Inner chest... weeeeeeee!

:-(

Time+fullness=better looking "inner" chest
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by crazygerman
    Inner chest... weeeeeeee!

:-(

Time+fullness=better looking "inner" chest
    I know GERMAN: the amount of dejaVu on this board is amazing........

here we have another guy probably with a limited amount of training, beating his "pecs" to death.......

PUNKBOY: how old are you, how long have you been training, your height and weight please: also, if possible, a picture, and then we can start from the beginning and see if your 21 set workout is justified and doing you good or harm.....

thanks!

de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by punkboy1987
    I'm having problems building my inner chest.
    My routine is:
    flat bench 4x8-12
    incline press 4x8-12
    decline press 4x8-12
    flat bench flyes 3x8-12
    cable crossovers 3x10-15
    sometimes pec deck 3x8-12
    any suggestions on what I could add to that routine to help my inner chest?
    thanks.
    holy ****.
    all that volume makes me sad.

tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    jesus that's a lot of sets.. IMO you don't need so many "stretching" exercises - pick either flyes, crossovers, or pec deck and do your 3 sets. alternate each workout if you have to, but discontinue burning out your chest at the end.
    2007 INBF Long Island Experience:
    1st Place Novice Lightweight & Overall
    Best Legs
    ----------------------

Disclaimer: The above can at best be considered an opinion or an offering of advice, and should be treated as such.

Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Too many sets IMHO.

Do 3 sets each.
    Squats are easy.

wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wbwell has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Drag
    Too many sets IMHO.

Do 3 sets each.
    ditto

punkboy1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 19 i've been training seriously for two years i'm 5'11 163lbs 7%body fat i'm sorry i dont have time to sit here and stare at the boards all day and i didnt find ne decent information when i searched
    i didnt realize doing so many sets would hurt my progress because i dont work chest anymore than anything else...twice a week at most

DYSFUNCTIONAL strength I dont work at Ballys's Avatar
    I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000) I dont work at Ballys is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You cannot work out your "inner chest"

The bigger your chest gets the bigger it will look when you squeeze your pecs together. Thats it.
    If what I see does not amaze me, I am not looking hard enough.

The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

My YouTube Vids: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ajcharmoz

Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Drag
    Too many sets IMHO.

Do 3 sets each.
    Not too many sets... too many exercises.

There is NO need to do Flat, Incline, Decline in addition to every variation of flyes possible.

Alternate each workout between Flat and Incline (DB's preferably), and do 4-6 sets of it before moving on to weighted dips and finish with a fly movement if you really feel its necessary.
    Audentis Fortuna Iuvat

Fredoom1995 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Bump. Does anyone have anymore suggestions? I've this problem, my outer chest is developing so much faster than my inner and upper chest.. Is it purely genetics? Or can I do something about it?

Exercises:

Bench Press 4x15,10,8,6
    Incline Bench Press: 4x8
    Bent-Arm Dumbbell Flys 5x10

And some Dumbbell Pull-Overs once in a while.

Thanks in advance.

Bump, this moves fast...

isavukmaas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Incline bench flies! They are really good and when do you cable flies hold one arm out and then workot out one arm at a time

Ok, I'll actually try that. That will target the upper chest, and inner chest?

isavukmaas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Fredoom1995 View Post
    Ok, I'll actually try that. That will target the upper chest, and inner chest?
    If you're talking to me then yeah and do chest press (with DB) or super wide regular bench those help with outter and inner, but make sure you squeeze the chest like you're flexing