vilemn333 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy I'm stuck! How many sets per body part???

I'm 1.71m, and 71.5 kilos. and i'm trying to bulk up, without getting too fat (hopefully i can manage to c my abs throughout)

I'm currently doing a 3 day split

Monday: Chest/Back
    Tuesday: Cardio by swimming
    Wednesday: Shoulders/Abs/Legs
    THursday: Cardio by swimming
    Friday: Biceps/Triceps
    Saturday: Cardio by swimming

Currently doing 2 different exercises per muscle, at 4 sets of 8 for each exercise. So each workout, each muscle will get a total of 8 sets of 8.

And i'm quite curious how I better work out my chest, as there are lower, middle, and upper chest to workout. Currently, I do 3 sets per portion of chest. Which makes it 9 sets for the chest.

I currently take whey protein before excise, and a weight gainer after exercise.

I've been working out for some time, with not much gains in strength ( it seems that i cant seem to add weight to the exercises that i do)

Questions
    1)Am I doing the right number of sets and reps per muscle, especially for my chest which has 3 portions?
    2) Should I take whey protein before weights, would it help?
    3) Should I take whey protein before cardio, and weight gainer after cardio? Would it prevent muscle loss?
    4) How come I'm not gaining strength even though i'm gyming thrice a week?What is the best way to know when to increase weights? (i've heard of 1 rep max programs)
    5) Should I take whey protein before I sleep?

Please advise!

Thank you All!

Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well for a beginner i would suggest 3x3x10 (3 exercises, 3 sets, 10 reps) but the more advanced you get and the more you muscles begin to stop responding to that, you need to increase sets, weights, exercises, etc. I'm currently doing 16-25 sets with 4-7 exercises per body part on a 5 day split. I wouldnt recomend something like that unless you really feel up to the challenge (its a tough demanding workout) so i would say maybe increase to at least 3 exercises, try 3-4 sets and stick with that and you should be good to go.
    At The Gates is going on tour!!!

Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lilkj is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Also, about the protein: Take it after before and after a workout, sometimes even during. Post workout be sure to mix it with water so it digest quickly (since casein protein found in milk cancels the quick digesting effect that whey protein has.) I also take it before bed, 2 scoops mixed with milk and i also have some flax oil mixed in. Also keep in mind its very important to have carbs before and after a workout so you body doesnt use the protein you have stored for energy, since thats protein you could be using to build muscle. Cardio workouts, stick with the carbs, fast digesting carbs like potatoes, white rice, anything thats gone through some kind of processing.

vilemn333 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Lilkj
    Cardio workouts, stick with the carbs, fast digesting carbs like potatoes, white rice, anything thats gone through some kind of processing.

hmm? why shouldnt one have protein before and after cardio workouts?
    wouldnt that prevent muscle loss?

I'm not telling you to avoid protein prior to cardio, just simply stating carbs are the most important before any intense training. If you dont have enough carbs, your body is going to tap into your protein storage and use that for energy...And if that protein is getting used for energy, you wont have it to build muscle and therefore, either make no gains, or lose your progress all together.