eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

regular oats vs quick oats

Why are regular oats better than quick oats? I always buy the big tub of regular oats, but this time I accidentally bought quick oats...I compared the nutrition label and everything is exactly the same (and they are plain quick oats- not the sugary flavored packets...this has 0 sugar and the only ingredient is "100% whole grain rolled oats") So what is the difference? Why are regular oats better even though the ingredients (or should i say ingredient) and nutrition facts are exactly the same?

Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zenree has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Instant oats are more processed -- while they are a better choice than the sugary crap that's out there, they are broken down even further from their natural state than "natural" or "steel cut" oats.

It takes your body a bit longer to digest the "old fashioned" oats as opposed to the instant variety.

Not a big deal for 1 tub --- but keep using the other type
    *Obssession is a word the weak use to describe the dedicated

*That which does not kill me ... only makes me stronger!

Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000) Tiffany_P is just really nice. (+1000)
    I eat the 1-minute oats, and I don't stress out about it. Maybe I digest them a little bit faster, but unless I eat more of them, it won't affect my results. I don't like the old-fashioned variety as much.

iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10) iflyjets is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I asked this same question months ago and finally decided not to worry about it. Adding protein powder, ground flax seed and wheat germ will "bulk up" your oatmeal (and add good flavors). That's what I do. Just because the oat itself is faster digesting, doesn't mean you can't add healthy stuff to it to get more out of it. That's my opinion anyway I don't think it's a big deal all things considering.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As above - there is no 'real' difference except for how the oats have been prepared.... To go through oats:

* Whole oats - the whole grain. Least processed and have their intact outer coating. You have to cook these for a LONG time. Will be chewy.

* cracked oats/scotch oats/kibbled oats - Cracked/cut oat like above. These you also have to cook for a long time.

* Rolled oats (or porridge oats) - These are steamed and rolled whole oats. They have the entire grain still intact so fiber/ nutrients are slightly higher. As they are already steamed, you do not have to cook them but they will be chewy and harder to digest.

* Instant oats/one minute oats - one step further than above. These are rolled oats that have also been steamed once more and rolled again. They, once again, don't need cooking. Often used in packet oats with added flavours etc....

* Quick oats - As above but usually without the flavourings. They are chopped into smaller pieces for ease of cooking/ eating.

^^
    All of them are still OATS (with the exception of the flavoured packet stuff) > so gram for gram they will be roughly the same MACROnutrients (similar to if you took YOU and then ground yourself into bits - your total composition wouldn't change, just how you were 'presented')... The things that will change will be:
    1. volume you can eat ->> obviously, whole oats are more energy DENSE.... so 40g will only be 1/4 of a cup uncooked.... while 40g of rolled oats will be 1/2 a cup
    2. cooking time - the more they are processed, the less you need to cook them
    3. texture - chewy v's creamy or mushy....
    4. micronutrients - if the outer husk/hull is removed you lose some of the vitamins and fiber
    5. *mild changes in GI* - slight increase in GI with processing, but overall not really big changes (due to the resistant starch found in oats you don't get massive changes - and in the grand scheme of things this doesn't have a massive impact on your body anyway)

END MESSAGE: Eat what you want to eat... As long as total intake is the same, there is no difference.
    Last edited by Emma-Leigh; 09-09-2009 at 01:21 PM.

eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eleni611 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks everybody for the responses!! I liked the pictures and explanations..it made the whole thing very clear

SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoBaySick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great breakdown, thanks a lot!!
    2nd go 'round on Keto...

9/11 - 198 lbs down to 179 lbs
    4/11 - 184 lbs down to 176 so far...

www.lndapparel.com

KenKage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow, great info already provided, especially with the pictures and explanations. The only thing I can add is that regular rolled oats, or old fashioned, have a lower glycemic index number than quick oats. Even though the only difference is that quick oats have been chopped finer than rolled oats, that makes the carbs more readily available and puts quick oats just barely in the "medium" range of the GI while rolled oats remain firmly seated in the "low" range. I think the numbers are 55 for rolled oats, and 66 for quick oats. In the end, eat what you want, I eat both no problem.
    www.living-warrior.com Bujinkan Martial Arts Meridian, Idaho

Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Swamp Dog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KenKage View Post
    Wow, great info already provided, especially with the pictures and explanations. The only thing I can add is that regular rolled oats, or old fashioned, have a lower glycemic index number than quick oats. Even though the only difference is that quick oats have been chopped finer than rolled oats, that makes the carbs more readily available and puts quick oats just barely in the "medium" range of the GI while rolled oats remain firmly seated in the "low" range. I think the numbers are 55 for rolled oats, and 66 for quick oats. In the end, eat what you want, I eat both no problem.
    Put it in milk and those numbers change. Add butter and those numbers are destroyed.