Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK FIFTY-SEVEN :: How Do You Prepare For The Gym?

------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: How Do You Prepare For The Gym?

For the week of: Dec 29th - Jan 4th
    Wednesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------

How Do You Prepare For The Gym?

If you want to succeed in bodybuilding you must be consistent going to the gym. After awhile our daily gym visits become very repetitive.

We all have our own styles, how do you prepare for the gym?

What do you wear? Do you have certain clothes you wear all the time to the gym?

What do you bring with you? What shouldn't you bring with you?

How do gyms accommodate their members? Are there any trends (good/bad) you see from gym to gym that might need to be emphasized/addressed?

Bonus: What do you do with your kids when you go to the gym? Does your gym provide services for children?

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Will
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

RUTHLESS AFFECTION!!!! no_strain_no_ga's Avatar
    no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000)

I always bring a doufel bag so I can carry my clothing, waters, protein shake , towels and bathing products. I somwtimes forget something, so I always check it before I leave.

Clothing should be light and comfortable. No heavy shirts, like sweaters or wool shirt, go with a normal t-shirt or even a sleeveless shirt. I always wear my swim trunks, as i said, this is very light and comfortable will I workout. Never bring pants, espicially blue jeans, not a propen workout clothe. Always wear socks and shoes, mostly running shoes. Don't go with flip flops or some worn down business shoes. Everything must be confortable for you. If you would like, I do this, wear a head strap. I get sweaty sometimes and I have sweat pouring down my face and if I wear a head strap, it catches all the sweat. Rinse out in awhile too.

My gym has showers, so when I'm done with my workout, I always take a shower. So I bring a towel and shampoo and deodarent too. I barely have time to take a shower during my workout days so I always take on there. I would also bring aextra towel. Sometimes the people who just came off the bench was sweating and now the whole bench is covered with sweat. Groos, right. Luckily my gym has some paper towels to help us clean up. I bring my protein shak powder with. My gym has bottle slim milk, so I always mix it up. But if your gym doesn't, Bring a canten or a bottle of slim milk so you can mix it. Also bring a bottle or 2 after your cardio and on the drive home.

Please don't bring junk food or soda, why are you even going to workout anyways if you are going to bing on that. I don't bring any MP3 player or Ipod to the gym, because if I do, it always comes off and gets me distrated sometimes, and no I don't have ADHD.And NEVER, I say NEVER bring your girlfriend, just kidding. Yeah, I like to see my girlfriend workout too.

How do gyms accommodate their members? Are there any trends (good/bad) you see from gym to gym that might need to be emphasized/addressed?

My gym has everything basically, restrooms, all the equipment to do cardio and workout, basketball courts, vending machines fiilled with protein bars and slim milk, tanning salons, child care, and a rock climbing wall, yes you heard me right, a ROCKCLIMBING WALL. The reason that my gym has vending machines stckpiled with protein bars and slim milk and steroids, just kidding again, is because I advised it. They just had water and Gatorade and I asked if they could afford it and said yes and about 4 weeks wee had 2 vending machines with the new stuff. But, no one knows that I'm the reason that we have it . I would also encourage the basketball courts, One-on-One action against anyone working out is just so much fun, sad thing is I'm 5'6". I haven't gone to th tanning salons, but people come out golden.

***BONUS***
    What do you do with your kids when you go to the gym? Does your gym provide services for children?

I'm 15, so I have no kids to worry about, buy yes my gym provides child care for the mothers and sometimes fathers who have to bring their runt/s to the gym. It is pretty good actually, they have the thing that they have McDonalds, the balls and slide and have play houses and a room for nap time and provide with juice and milk and snacks. So I wouldn't bother bringing my children there when I have some of my own

Thanks

Mike Kramer
    I Rep Back!

Owe:

Recharge:
    jbodybuilder, nickrut

Owe Me:

Negs:
    Lecter(4 lyfe)

tails has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by webmaster
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: How Do You Prepare For The Gym?

For the week of: Dec 29th - Jan 4th
    Wednesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

If you want to succeed in bodybuilding you must be consistent going to the gym. After awhile our daily gym visits become very repetitive.

Bonus: What do you do with your kids when you go to the gym? Does your gym provide services for children?

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Will
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com

I first make sure I have everything I need, protein shake, lifting straps, bottled water, supplements, mp3 player etc....then on my way to the gym, I already plan ahead of what exercises I have to do, how many reps, how many sets. I also try to pump myself up by listening to hard rock in the car.

What do you wear? Do you have certain clothes you wear all the time to the gym? Comfortable clothing, I usually like to wear long sleeve jordans and a pair of jordan shorts. Also Under Armor is very comfortable.

Mp3 player, my journal log, water, protein shake, lifting straps/belt.

I think my biggest pet peeve that my gym members do is when they either a) dont put away the weights in the right spot or b) dont put away the weights at all.

n/a but yes my gym (life time fitness) does provide services for children.

kev2005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not to sound too negative but this weeks topic aint gunna have people rushing to find out what others do before they workout. It could give an interesting discussion on pre w/o meals but after that? It dont take years of reading and training experience to put a training bag together and get your ass to the gym! Credit well deserved too anybody that makes this one worth reading!

Location: Your mind, for I am only a figment of your imagination...
    Shaolin Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaolin Monkey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I first make sure I've eaten a big meal with lots of carbs and protein at least a half an hour before the workout, so that I'll have the energy I need to get the best workout possible. I don't want to get tired half-way through the workout.

I also make sure to stretch before (and after) my workout, to avoid any injuries.

I wear my gym shorts and a thin T-shirt. My gym shorts look like basketball shorts, and are very lightweight and breatheable. This is so I don't overheat. I also wear my lifting gloves, because I like the padding they provide.

I make a list beforehand of the number of sets and reps I'm going to do for the specific exercises I pick for that day, and I bring this list along with me. In addition to the list I bring my clothes, a towel, a protein shake and a couple of protein bars, and my lifting gloves.

You shouldn't bring things like bags of McDonalds or candy into the gym. Also, if you bring a duffel bag, leave it in the locker room. Too many times guys carry their belts/straps/water/what have you in a big bag and leave it lying in the way in the gym.

Gyms have the weights, treadmills, and all that jazz, but many also have things like tanning booths and saunas.

The thing I see the most is: people not putting the weights away after they're done. I'm no babysitter, and as such I shouldn't have to clean up after the other members of the gym. This issue should be enforced more, if it is at all.

Another issue that should be enforced: people should wipe up the benches when they're done with them. There is nothing more gross than lying down in a puddle of someone else's sweat. This ties in again to the fact that I am not anyone's babysitter, and shouldn't have to be.

I do not have kids to bring to the gym. It wouldn't matter even if I did, however, because my gym does not provide services for children. I think this is, at the same time, a good and bad thing. It's a good thing because it keeps your home life and gym life separate, allowing for more concentration and focus in the gym, and then also at home. However, it means, if you do have kids and don't have someone to watch them while you'd be at the gym, you might have some difficulty in making it to the gym.
    The only limitations you have are those you put upon yourself.

tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazB will become famous soon enough. (+50)

-

...First I pack all my needed stuff, for the gym. Like, water, protein shake, my routine schedule just incase.

I personally wear, light clothing, sweat pants, t-shirt. My shoes are running shoes also known as air force ones.

I bring my, MP3 Player, and my Routine schedule. I try not to bring my cell phone and any other thing else that can interupt me while working out

Well, I always wanted a gym that has like trainers, or experienced BB'ers to walk around or anything just incase someone needs a spotter or any help on there exercide. My gym is trying to do that, its getting harder with all the new members joining. The main problem I would say is the dumbells more of one weight like 30's there should be atleast 3 sets cause that is a major area, I hate waiting for people to finish.

Not that old.
    Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
    - Jimi Hendrix

Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charged will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I eat a banana and drink a glass of milk before I warmup.

Phase 1: General Warm-up. The main goal is to get you're core temature up i do this by doing bodyweight squats, crunches, back extensions, and pressups, not many, 10 of each.

Phase 2: Mobility Drills. Mobility training increases the blood flow to the joints, lubricates them, and keeps their surfaces smooth and healthy. I use different mobility training depending up on the situation.

Phase 3: Dynamic Flexibility. Once the athlete's core temperature has increased and the joints are lubricated, we move onto dynamic stretches. It's important to start each dynamic stretch with a limited range of motion and then gradually increase the range. If you force a muscle into a new range of motion it will back fire and actually contract the muscle and not relax it.

Phase 4: Frequency Drills. Before moving into your competition or workout, you want to excite your nervous system. I use exercises or drills that are overspeed-type movements. Low jumps in place for speed and quick steps are some of my favorites.

What do you wear?

I wear what ever i find comfy, Be it a vest and tracksuit bottoms or a shirt and jeans. Aslong as you can move in it and can't see why you shouldn't wear these clothes (dangers) then you should definatly wear what you like. Although if you sweat alot i recommend a dri-fit top as these help take away the sweat from you're body. As for footwear I personally wear asics tiger trainers as these are flat and very comfy.

What do you bring with you?

Water, obvious reasons I dont want to dehydrate. Water is very important when working out. Other then that i don't take anything else because the gym provides the rest (chalk ECT.) I dont take gloves, straps or belts because I dont feel truely strong in them and I personally feel you are cheating you're self and to do some farmers walk if you have a weak grip.

How do gyms accommodate their members?

Well as in life you get good things and bad things, gyms are no exception to this rule. I do think alot of the members with attitude should be kicked out and also I think the gym staff should really make sure peole don't hog the machine, I once saw a guy lie down resting on the bench press for 5 minutes between sets.

Bonus: What do you do with your kids when you go to the gym?

I do not have kids (I am 16) but they have a kids area on the other side of the building i workout at which is fun for the kids, they let children as young as 12 workout. But betwen 8-10 i guess there is nothing to do which is a real shame, an arcade wouldn't go a miss.

Then after my workout i drink a Whey Protein Shake, Have a hot cold shower and sleep for 3 hours then i get up and strech, I strech 3 hours after because if you do it straight away you're CNS (central nervous system) will be fired up and you will not make any flexibility gains.

Dave.
    Last edited by Charged; 12-31-2005 at 11:23 PM.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing." Albert Einstein.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein.

"A person starts to live when he can live outside himself." Albert Einstein.

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." Albert Einstein

mrob231 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

As preperation for the gym there are some things that I make sure I always do. First I will take a premier nutrition 30 gram protein bar before I go to the gym. I make sure that I don't take it too close from when I go to the gym because then I get stomache aches. Next, I bring my duffle bag with these items: Boxing gloves, water bottle, lanyard with member tag on it, iPod Mini, swimming trunks, towel, lock, and a basketball depending on the day. On the ride to the gym I will try to go over what I will do for the day, reading over my fitness log. Pop in some rap to pump me up and I am ready.

I usually wear a loose, comfortable, T-Shirt and basketball shorts, and some basketball shoes that give me good support for running and other activites. There isn't really a certain shirt or lucky shorts that I wear, rather its whatever's available to wear and will do the job.

I bring (like I listed above) my duffle bag with these items: Boxing gloves, water bottle, lanyard with member tag on it, iPod Mini, swimming trunks, towel, lock. I never bring any necklaces or extra pieces of clothing that could interfere or get in the way of my workout at all.

My gym provides many items neccesarry for a proper workout, although there are some items that they are missing.

First off, they provide basketballs for the basketball courts if you ask the front desk, and the same with vollyballs (they put up a vollyball net from 8-10 on saturdays) They have punching bags, but as expected don't provide any boxing gloves. One feature about my gym that I really like is, they have alot of waterfountains, which can be really handy in between sets if you need a drink. Also they provide lots of lockers for free, as long as you have a lock.

Although likewise they are flawed in some parts. They don't provide towels, which can be a big problem if you forget one and are in the pool. There are also no supplements or shakes to be found anywhere in the gym.

A trend that I see at my gym is people never seem to wipe thier sweat off with the paper towels and spray that the gym provides. Multiple times I have sat down after another bodybuilder has finished thier reps and I find a pool of sweat. That has to stop. Another trend that I have noticed is that people never seem to return the basketballs or correctly put the weights back into the right spot.

As I am only 13 years old I do not have any kids, although my gym does have a pretty nice daycare type place for the kids, equipped with playplaces and video games to keep them entertained. I think that they have a small fee though for the childcare.

Bronze Account Holder Whomper107's Avatar
    Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Whomper107 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

One of the most forgotten and important pre-gym steps that I see people avoid is a good preworkout meal eaten 45 minutes to an hour before working out. This meal should be light, but provide some good quality carbohydrates for energy in the gym, and also give you a shot of protein. One example of such a meal is a peanut butter or lunch meat sandwich on wheat bread with a piece of fruit for additional carbs. Another possibility, my personal favorite, is of my own creation which I have deemed a "yogurt surprise." Take 2 cartons of yogurt, half a cup of oatmeal, a handful of raisins, and a banana. Mix it all up in a bowl and you have a great high carb, high protein meal that won't stuff you before a workout, which is never a good thing. A preworkout supplement such as NO2 can also be taken one half an hour to an hour prior to working out if you can afford it, or choose to take one.

I myself usually stick with a t-shirt, sleeveless shirt, or wifebeater (all of the bodybuilding.com variety of course), thin, nylon basketball shorts, and a good pair of running shoes. Whatever you wear should be comfortable, light, and nonrestrictive so it does not get in your way while lifting. A good pair of shoes is particularly important on a day when you will be working legs, as damage can be done to them without proper support.

Always make sure to bring a water bottle, all postworkout supplements in a ziploc bag, a shaker with skim milk (unless of course you use water for your shakes), an MP3 player if you enjoy music while you workout, lifting gloves and straps if you wear those, and last but not least, deoderant, the most important of all postworkout supplements.
    Although it is ok for some supplements, mixing more than an hour before drinking it can sometimes cause them to begin to decompose, such as the transformation of creatine to creatinine, a far less beneficial subpart of it. So be sure to seperate the supplement and milk/water until you're ready to drink it. Perhaps the most valuable piece of equipment is a good training partner to act both as a spotter and a motivator.
    In my early days of working out I found I would unintentionally surround myself with distractions such as cell phones, which should be left in your car or locker, and non training partner friends or girlfriends, who not only distract you, but often cause you to resort to bad form so as to use more weight in the hopes of impressing them.
    Gyms, just like most everything in life, follow one rule in my experience: you get what you pay for. If you are willing to pay the big fee that comes with a big gym, then you will get all the good features that come along with that. If you skimp and go to the little one room shack of a gym, then you cannot expect to get the same variety and quality of equipment that you would find in a large club.
    What makes a good gym is fairly obvious... good, well maintained equipment, a knowledgable and helpful staff, preferabely with many certified personal trainers to help new members with exercises and training, amenities such as basketball courts, tennis courts, raquetball courts, saunas, and tanning beds, and of course enough equipment to where you do not spend ten minutes waiting between sets. I have even seen some gyms provide vending machines with milk, protein powders, energy drinks, and waters for those who come unprepared.

Being 16, I do not have kids of my own yet, so need not worry about this. However, my current standpoint is that a gym is a place for working out and fitness, not young children. The best thing would be to keep your kids at home if at all possible. If not, then a babysitting service would be a big plus in a gym.

GMH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How do you prepare for the gym?

Well, I'm only just two months in bodybuilding & really keeping it simple.

I make sure I have eaten before training but have given 1 hour to digest my meal. Before I begin my warm ups I have a good drink of water.

Before I leave home for the gym, which is only a 15 minute drive, I have a long hot shower. It aids my warm ups & removes fatigue or cold that might have set in. I think this is as important as drinking & eating & training!
    ----------------------------------------
    I'm one of the 'over 40' crowd & loving it!
    Best wishes
    GMH

nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10) nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10) nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10) nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10) nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10) nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10) nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10) nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10) nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10) nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10) nextteenamateur is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here is mine:
    Attached Files
    Testing for AX baby!

SECOND PLACE!!!
    My Scivation/Primaforce Contest Bulk Log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608005

You can't fool mother nature - she's one smart bitch.

PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10) PitzaPapa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    spell check ladies

Pecasaurous has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Topic 57

The battle with the iron begins at home. The most crucial thing I do before hitting the gym is to ensure I am well rested. After a long days work I need nothing more then a power nap. A quick 10-15 minutes nap guarantees me I will have the energy I need to set new personal bests. Next I make sure I eat a good meal, a meal that contains a fair amount of complex carbs and protein. I feel a meal with a good amount of carbs gives me that extra boost to my workout. Finally before leaving I make sure my gym bag has all the items I will need for my workout.

What you wear to the gym says a lot about you and a lot about why you are there. Like the men in jeans and button up shirts laced in cologne just looking for a date or the stick like teen guys with –2% body fat in tank tops trying to show off there definition and lack of fat. I guess we all feel comfortable in different outfits and that’s what it comes down too. Wear what feels comfortable to you. Personally I stick to loose fitting sweats. In my sweats I am free to sweat and not worry too much about it getting on the equipment. For my footwear I usually stick to a light flatfooted wrestling style shoe, it gives me great stability when squatting or any other exercise where I need a good base.

Do’s
    Before hitting the gym I always make sure my gym bag has the following items:
    protein shake (for post workout),
    large bottle of water (to prevent dehydration),
    lifting straps (only on back day),
    mp3 player (with good heavy beats to keep me pumped),
    training log,
    and a towel (I sweat like a pig).
    I think everyone attending a gym should bring a bottle of water and a towel to practice good health and hygiene. I also believe that having my routine planned before hitting the gym makes sure I keep to the game plan, don’t slack, and give it my all every set to achieve what I planned to do. I would recommend everyone bring a training partner, which is as motivated as they are, with him or her to the gym. They will help you break through plateaus and will give you that push to the next level.

Don’ts
    There is nothing that steams me up more then when I see some guy holding up a machine because his cell phone rang. A cell phone has no place in a gym. LEAVE THEM IN THE LOCKER. The only other thing that bothers me and has no place at the gym is my girlfriend. When I bring my girlfriend to the gym, she doesn’t shut up. Between sets she’s talking, during sets she’s talking, every chance she gets she’s ruining my, “screw the world” gym mentality. She is nothing but a distraction to me and often causes me to cheat and use bad form. So if your other half is like this, leave them at home.

Trends that should be emphasized
    In my four years of bodybuilding I have attended three different facilities, a well known popular chain, a five-star health club, and a run down hole in the wall. I am currently training at the health club and wish nothing more then to be able to return to the hole in the wall. Unfortunately it has closed. The reason I want to return there is it was for hardcore athletes, we slammed weights, grunted, sweated and had more then 100lb dumbbells. The people here didn’t care how much you lifted, stank or screamed. Everyone there was there for the same reason, to lift.

Trends that should be addressed
    Every wall in my gym has a sign asking members to put away weights when finished, but to no avail, I sit down to row and Mr. poor form before me forgot to take off his 20 45lb plates. If you’re strong enough to use the weights you are strong enough to put them back. This should definitely be enforced.
    Gym trainers should be looked up to and aspired to because of their bodies and strength. So how come is it that all of the trainers at my gym are out of shape no it alls who could be corrected on their form for more then one exercise. Trainers should be in top shape and practice what they preach. It’s a joke when a trainer can be out lifted by my little sister.

Kids? I am only 19 so this question does not apply to me. If it did, however, my gym has a great play place and babysitters to look after the kids. There is also a closed circuit camera that displays on a television over the cardio equipment to keep an eye on your child.

I wanna transform my body falloutpat's Avatar
    falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falloutpat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Before going to the gym, I always make sure I've had my pre-workout meal and a lot of rest. Pre-workout meals consist of high carbohydrates, protein, and minimal fat. But it all depends on what type of workout I am going to do, or what I'm going to do in the gym.

1. If I'm going to do cardio in the morning, I usually have a protein shake before hitting the gym. Then I pack a carb+protein+creatine shake to take after my cardio, if I'm going to lift weights after that. I usually bring a shake with me instead of packing a meal to save some time since the shake will digest faster.

2. If I'm just going to lift weights, I have good carbs+protein source. If I lift around 2 pm, I have brown rice and chicken/fish for lunch. Then at around 1 pm, I take my 5g of creatine. I pack my protein+carb+creatine shake.

3. If I'm going to do some type of sport (I do rugby and boxing) which requires endurance, I have a lot of slow digesting carbs, such as wheat bread. I also often have an apple for some simple carbs. I pack my protein+carb shake.

I usually wear just a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. I'd rather save my money on supplements rather than buy expensive gym clothes. I say, wear whatever you are most comfortable in, but if you are willing to spend on some expensive gym equipment, buy some good shoes you can work out in. Generally, running/crosstrainers should work well for you.

I always bring an extra shirt and my post workout shake. The gym I go to provides me with a hand towel, so I don't bring a towel with me when I go to the gym. You may opt to bring another protein shake, so you've got something to sip on during your workout. You may also opt to bring your own jug of water, but I don't find this too necessary if your gym provides you with water. If you use the showers in your gym, bring extra clothes (shorts, underwear, shirt, and socks/slippers) and your own towel so you can dry yourself off. You can bring your own soap/shampoo if you wish, or if your gym does not provide this for you. You may also bring a brush/comb, if your hair is long enough. And of course, deoderant. You could also bring your mp3 player, to pump you up during workouts. Bring your lifting gloves/straps, your workout/training log, and of course you should bring your determination and willingness to work out hard in the gym!

You should not bring anything too bulky to carry around. If you are going to bring your cellphone with you, leave it in your locker. It won't interrupt you or others during your workout. I would also suggest not bringing anything too expensive to the gym. You should always look after your belongings.

It depends which gym you go to. If you go to an average commercial gym, they usually provide their members with the essentials and a bit more. Towels, water, good gym equipment, the service of trainers, plus others like punching bags, pilates/yoga equipment. I have only been to two gyms, one in a country club, and the other is a commercial gym. What I have noticed is that there are more people in the commercial gyms, they provide you with better and more equipment, and the trainers help you out more. In the gym in a country club, (if you are a member of the club), there is no fee because it is free, but the equipment is a bit outdated, and the trainers don't really help you out as much.

Something that should be addressed in every gym is that gym trainers should adjust to what their clients want and not the other way around. Trainers should tell their clients about proper nutrition, the importance of weight training and cardio, and the benefits of living a healthy lifestyle, especially if that client is beginning a workout program. It will avoid all newbie mistakes.

I don't have children .. I'm only 17! But I have seen children (8-12 years old, average) in the gym, they usually go there to do cardio, and not to lift heavy weights. If ever they do lift weights, it is under the supervision of a trainer (and SHOULD BE under the supervision of a trainer) and the weights are at a light/moderate weight, simply for gaining strength.

Another type of service would be a play place/or a sort of day care center, where gym members can leave their child for a few hours as they work out. This would allow members to have more time to work out. But I think parents should be parents FIRST and then fitness buffs/bodybuilders. While a play place is a great addition to a gym, they should also remember to take time out and play with their kids.

built like a brick house Dallas68's Avatar
    Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation ::EDIT::my mother has fallen sick so i am not going on holiday yet and will edit this

EN: How Do You Prepare For The Gym?

Preparation (according to wordreference.com)

The activity of putting or setting in order in advance of some act or purpose

Basically it means that it is the actions that are set out before an event or as they say purpose. Something of importance to which must be done right with ones own planning.

The idea is to be totally at rest and to know what is to happen before the event is even to take place.

It is all very important to prepare. For the power lifter looking to win his meet, to the bodybuilder who needs that extra few reps to truly bring out a certain lagging body part.

There is a difference between pumping out a 200 pound bench press or being mentally prepared and doing a 230 pound bench. This could in turn really help your chest and front deltoids grow more than usual.

So do you want to be prepared? Or be like 75% percent who go in throw weights around and wonder why they don’t grow?

You should make it simple. There is no point trying to keep long lists in your head. Keep it simple as if you’re looking at key cards.

First I want to emphasize for you to remember it’s not hard to prepare for gym and think about this: Remember it is said that an activity takes 3 weeks to become a Habit.

These are examples of habits which you do without thinking

• You get up every morning for work or school

• You greet your family, friends or spouse everyday.

• You groom yourself

• Eat food and drink water

• Educate and communicate with people daily.

And here is the overview on what feelings and ideas should be floating around your head around gym time

The need
    • As the idea of wanting to be in the gym creeps up, that is your moment to get up and start preparations. You either do it now or you don’t.

The reason
    • First you must know what you should be training on that day, go find that out. Preferably should have something on the wall to keep track of your workouts.

visualization
    • Go through the motions of what your going to do, the best way to prepare is to know what you’re going to do. Specifically what exercises which will help you achieve maximum muscle growth.

The feeding
    • The aggression from work, school, and colleagues use it to your advantage. It’s the time to not be timid and you must be able to unlock that beast inside. That fire which will send you to powerful levels.

• Another plus is to have all your kit together. Example:

• Gloves if you have I recommend them as you’re able to handle more weight, plus if your lifting hard enough you will still get calluses. The mark of a bodybuilder.

• Light shirt which makes you mobile, your not trying to look fancy you’re there to lift.

• Shoes such as running shoes or any comfortable shoes. You’re going to have to put a load of pressure on your feet.
    • Short pants, not the kind that make you look spastic. But ones that come to about knee level. Easy mobility once again.

• A small but usable hand towel. Most gyms have it as a rule for members to bring their towels for sanitation purposes.

• A easy to carry bag for your change of clothes and to put your towel and any other essentials such as a wallet with money in case you need to buy a chicken for supper.

If you want to succeed in bodybuilding you must be consistent going to the gym. After awhile our daily gym visits become very repetitive

I did provide an overview of how to prepare but personally these are the emotions I go through

• Firstly I train at home so I can prepare as much as I please and take my time.

• My mind says I need to go train intensive.

• I get up

• Go to my room

• Find my gloves put them on tight

• Find my Animal chain that I have made I always have it on for gym

• These words flash in my head like “shut up and train” or “pay your dues”

• Put on the necessary lighter and easily mobile clothes on

• Find a large jug fill it up with 1.5 liters water

• Walk to the room with my gym

• Turn on the lights

• Look at the mirror and shout at it once

• Walk inside the gym

• Put my jug down

• Ok so im doing back today

• Awesome and then I have a brilliant workout.

Here is a saying from one of the most motivational places on the earth. AnimalPak.com and from the rep on here G diesel it’s his personal blog of thoughts

“Immerse yourself in the process. There is no time as valuable as the present moment, no mission more crucial than the task at hand. With this approach, and a solemn internal pledge to never let your dream die on the vine, you can be unstoppable. Stuff all the disappointments of the past. The day is here. The time is now.”

That alone will get me to think about my soul mission what I want to achieve for myself, no one else that’s why bodybuilding is such a good sport. It’s a personal journey.

There is no time like now go out and be involved, don’t be scared with anything you do ever.

KEEP IT IN YOUR HEAD AND IT WILL MAKE SENSE!
    Last edited by Dallas68; 01-02-2006 at 03:00 PM. Reason: a good reason...
    going full blast!

workout journal (random rambling)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168460783

Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dallas68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Cool the next page that means its another 0.2 cents so its 0.4 cents now!

It doesn’t matter usually to me as most of the time I wear as I have stated light clothing, plus your not there to win over people or look pretty. However on Days that I do legs, I always wear certain pants as it’s like good luck paranoia and for easy squatting. They hide my quads but expose my calves.

At gym or home I will not wear long pants or any baggy clothing as it wears you down and can catch on to the sides of barbells which is very annoying and possibly embarrassing.

I train at home so I have anything whenever I need it. I do go to gym very scarcely but when I do all I have in my small gym bag is a

• Small gym bag ( able to hold with one hand)

• Hand towel

• Gym card ( don’t forget it)

• Gloves if you need them.

• Gym has water.

• Change of clothes

Don’t bring

• A large gym bag that could be used to go on holiday with.

• All your bathroom kit your there to train and then go home and freshen up properly

• Do shower but as I said just shower don’t bring your grooming kit with you.

• Your ego. Leave it at the door

• Leave your flirting skills at the door. The women are there to train as well.

• Your buddies if they won’t train intensely

Gyms I think unfortunately that I have seen are too mainstream. They are called Fitness centers now and are where those mostly un-educated about their bodies go to train and have conversations instead of buckling down and lifting. Gyms across the board are good and of course provide what one needs to grow.

My personal thought many novices do not have the full understanding of many machines. I would like a mini poster on each machine etc to explain how to do the exercising safely.

Good trends

• Clean
    • Many machines
    • Lots of free weights
    • Swimming pool
    • Sauna
    • Helpful fellow old school bodybuilders
    • For both sexes
    • Many types of physical exercising portrayed I.E yoga, spinning.

Bad trends

• People don’t change physiques. ( feel as if your in a timeless zone)
    • Unmotivated people
    • People talking instead of improving their bodies
    • Gym trainers not helpful ( I have had only one bad experience)

For me right now I don’t have any kids that I know of.

Yet the gym I do go to provide a kids room with caretakers. It seems the kids have fun in there and it is very visible in case you get a bit over anxious of your little one.

Last edited by Dallas68; 01-02-2006 at 02:57 PM.
    going full blast!

Cool

ek se die veld is baie goed met die somer ne?
    Attached Files
    going full blast!

pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pimpgoose has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

TOTW 57 Being Prepared

TOTW 57 How Do You Prepare For The Gym?
    If you want to succeed in bodybuilding you must be consistent going to the gym. After a while our daily gym visits become very repetitive. But that’s something you are going to have to live with if you want to reign with supremacy up on stage. That’s what separates the true warriors from the cowards. Everyday, you will step through those doors and enter a whole new world. A world with not only metal, steel, and cables, but men swimming in their own blood, sweat, and tears. Each of which are working towards sporting the ultimate physique. But what fuels their fire? What keeps these animals motivated to go through their routine everyday. From the moment they wake up, to the time they shut their eyes and asleep, bodybuilders are working to put on muscle. But with anything in this world, if you are not prepared, you won’t have the tools you need to work on you project. So how do we get prepared for another ball busting workout? If you go up to any mortal they will give some stupid answer like “uh, well I need a friend because working out alone is boring.” but that’s not the kind of answer you get from the gods, the rulers of the weights. Bodybuilders don’t need someone to hold our hands, ****, if I could workout with no one around I would. You can’t have any distractions while you are in that hell hole called a gym.

1. We all have our own styles, how do you prepare for the gym?
    How do I prepare for that next battle with the weights? I make sure that I am mentally ready for yet another balls-to-the-wall training session, another visit to the pits of hell. I make sure that I know what is expected of me when I walk through those doors. But what is really to be expected from a soldier in this lifelong war that I am fighting in order to achieve a god-like status and be superior to all mere mortals? I am expected to give it 110% in there. I am expected to leave an impression on everyone else in that gym. I am expected to burn up every last little bit of energy I have. Hell, I might even end up puking my guts out. But that is just a sign of a good workout. As I wait for my supplements to kick in I sit in the corner of the gym and think of all these things. That’s how I get prepared. That is how I get psyched up and motivated to work my ass off.

2. What do you wear? Do you have certain clothes you wear all the time to the gym?

Sure I have certain clothes I wear to the gym, but it’s nothing fancy. I’ll throw on an old t-shirt and pair of shorts, doesn’t matter to me if it’s clean or looks good. I’m not going to the gym to show off and participate in some fancy fashion show. I’m going there to get my hands dirty, bust my balls, and lift some heavy ass weights. Also my gloves are a piece of **** to. They are old and ripped, like of the clothes I wear. It sickens me to see people lifting lights weights and caring more about how they look in the gym with their fancy clothes and accessories. What do they show that off for anyways? A bunch of sweaty guys trying to concentrate on what they are doing themselves. In my mind it’s also a waste of valuable money. Why not spend that on some more chicken and tuna?

3a) what do you bring with you?
    Like a soldier preparing for war, I need to make sure I have all my supplies. I only make sure I have what is absolutely necessary to help me with my journey through the depths of hell. I don’t leave the house to go the gym unless I have my sups with me. All the other little accessories I could care less if I have, but I try to keep them with me. I use my gloves for better grip on the weights, and I use an iPod to eliminate any and all distractions that will keep me from lifting. With all my supplies on me I prepare to enter the battlefield.
    3b) what don't you bring with you?
    There are two things right now that I can think of that are never with me when I lift. These are two things that I also have a deep, passionate hatred for if I see them in gyms. The first of which is a little piece of paper and a pen that I see people using to record every single lift and every single thing they do. These people spend more time sitting around writing useless **** down, than they spend actually lifting weights. The second thing I never take with me, and I know no bodybuilder ever wants to see in a gym, is an ego. I can’t stand all skinny little pricks that walk into a gym followed by a group of fifty people, just so he can show off a one hundred pound bench with horrible form. Or the guy that works out to impress people already in the gym. Ya, you know should know who I’m talking about. It’s that guy that grabs heavy ass weights for curls and throw all their bodyweight into a couple reps. It just makes me want to puke.

4. How do gyms accommodate their members? Are there any trends (good/bad) from gym to gym that might need to be emphasized/addressed?
    There is a great lifting atmosphere in my gym. There are lots of people in there for a purpose, and that purpose is to lift and get big. That’s how I feel every single person in every single gym should be. None of these jerk off wannabe’s that are in there to show off to their friends. Just everybody in there to get bigger and stronger. Making their transformation from mortal human to animal-like god. You don’t see professional athletes at practice screwing around, so why does it happen in gyms? As for the staff, they’re alright. I haven’t been in many gyms, but I have found that if they know what they are talking about, they spend more time helping lifters out or working out rather than working. If they are clueless then they stay behind the cash register and mind their own business. I like that.

Bonus: what do you do with your kids when you go to the gym? Does your gym provide services for children?
    Personally, I don’t have kids. But I do know people at my gym that do, and they do the following things: either leave the kids home alone, leave the spouse to take care of them, workout while they are in school, or drop them off at a friends house. And thank go for that because I don’t believe a gym is any place for little kids. I believe a gym is a battlefield for warriors. Not a playground for runts. The only service for kids at my gym is the pool which is in the same building.

Now with that, I hope all of you are prepared. So get off your ass, quit reading these articles, and go lift some weights.
    "There are no home runs and touchdowns in our world. What I can promise you is pain, struggle, rage and true beauty."

forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) forcefedfreak has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One of the most important things for me is getting a good night's rest. I work out in the morning, so I don't want to try to work through an hour of lifting with no sleep. I get out of bed, give myself 10-15 minutes to wake up and become alert, maybe hop on the forums for little tips I can incorporate into my training on that day. You can always learn something new! I get dressed, make myself some breakfast, and i'm out the door. You can bet my head phones are on soon after I get out of bed, getting myself pumped up.

During my ride to the gym I envision myself lifting. I picture doing sets and reps, and different exercises. It really helps me focus on what I am going to do that day.

I do have certain clothes! I wear tear-away pants because they let my legs breath. I also always wear a sweatshirt to help get my muscles warmed up. And I always wear gloves. I am a guitar player so keeping my hands healthy is extremely important. Plus gloves just help give you that "lifter" look, and seeing yourself as a body-builder helps you get pumped up!

You have to bring what you need! For me it's a bottle of water, my MP3 player, and a bottle of water. Yes I bring two. (The fountain water is gross there)

You definitely shouldn't bring your cell phone into the gym with you. When I go to the gym I'm lifting so much weight I have to really focus mentally or I'll injur myself, or just won't be able to lift. If you can talk on your cell phone while you work out, you aren't pushing yourself enough to see good gains.

My gym has accommodated it's members by providing a very wide selection of equipment, so that you can get a very well rounded work out. I think a big problem with a lot of gyms however is they either focus on cardio, or weights. It's rare that you find a gym that has equipment for the serious lifter, and someone looking to just get a great cardio workout.

I'm only 20 years old and do not have children. The gym I attend does not have any services for children. It is in a sense a "no frills" gym and that is how they offer such a great membership rate. I do know that when the gym first opened, a man signed his kids up for memberships, and would drop them off when he went to work...essentially using the gym as a day care.
    The best Weightlifting forum on the web:
    www.WLForums.com

Location: Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

-

First I need to get into the right mindset. There's no point going if prior I'm feeling lazy and not up to it. Either look forward to it or don't go. Weightlifting should never be a chore and if it starts feeling like one, chances are you're going to quit going. If I have gym the next day, I make sure I don't oversleep as that puts me in a state of lazyness once awake. I slap on some music that pumps me up and check out some pictures of other bodybuilders. Seeing the body I want to achieve and looking at the body I want is my biggest motivation to get to the gym and pump some iron.

Comfortable is the key word. Nothing tight and nothing fancy. I go the gym to workout, not look good. I don't care if I look fat or not, as if I do, more motivation to workout as I look into the mirror. Loose sports pants, socks, trainers and a t-shirt is my standard.

MP3 player for music. After all, the music they play in the gym might not be my style. I have to make sure I'm hearing clip on earphones though otherwise I'll spend more time adjusting the things as they keep falling out from moving alot. Don't bring anything that gets in your way like rings, necklaces etc and please put your mobile phones away. I don't want to watch you sit on the machines texting. The gym is for everyone, so don't waste other peoples time. So, come in the right mindset. Leave the cockyness at the door. I also bring my lifting belt, a water bottle, gloves and my PWO Shake to drink right afterwards.

Locker rooms are a good way to make sure nothing is stolen. My gym has automatic doors which needs to be pressed to be opened. This helps stop theft as no one can run out after stealing something. Also a private area for women can be found at my gym. This helps stop distractions that take away from your workout and also makes you feel more comfortable. After all, how can you lift heavy and not worry about looking good if theres someone you find attractive watching? There's also separate areas for cardio, upper body and lower body workouts at my gym. So no arm curling at the power rack.

I don't have any.
    - NOTICE: Not all posts represent my own opinion. I enjoy playing devil's advocate.

mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Intro

In order to be successful in the sport of bodybuilding, we must make it a habit to attend the gym on a regular basis. After awhile, going to the gym becomes rather monotonous. Obviously, we all have our own styles of preparation for the gym. Some of us are more animated before attempting a big lift, while others are somewhat quiet and keep to themselves.

Below is a list of guidelines that will help you prepare for the gym!

Establish a workout routine!

I've seen it way too many times - teenagers who waltz into the gym and crank out reps on the bench press with too muchweight, having their spotter (who weighs less than the weight being used) give assistance to the bench presser. These teens then follow up their awful bench pressing form with bicep curls - where they use too much momentum and back involvement. Now the last time I checked, bicep curls are supposed to target the biceps - not the back. After these horrid sets of bench pressing and curls, the group of teens leave the weight room expecting to grow off of what they had just done.

I hate to break it to you, but a few sets of improper bench pressing and bicep curls aren't going to get you very far in the bodybuilding game. That is why it is imperative to establish an effective workout routine, which conclusively will better prepare you for the gym!

By establishing a workout routine, you can better prepare for the gym because you will have a plan of what you are to do in the gym for that particular day. Going into the gym with no plan or purpose is simply setting yourself up for failure.

The importance of pre-workout nutrition

Before even stepping foot into the gym, I make sure that I had a solid pre-workout meal consisting of predominantly carbohydrates, moderate protein, and a small amount of fat. I cannot stress how important pre-workout nutrition is in order to maximize your performance in the gym.

A good rule of thumb is to have consumed a proper pre-workout meal 45-90 minutes before your workout. This will allow for optimal digestion, and prevent any gastric discomfort.

Below are two of my favorite pre-workout meals:

Meal Option #1
    • 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
    • 2 scoops whey protein
    • 1 cup skim milk
    • Handful of strawberries

I like this meal because it's quick, easy, and gets the job done. Preferably, I like to use Vanilla Bean Primaforce Substance WPI as my source of whey protein. I mix the oats, whey, and strawberries in a large bowl, and then pour the skim milk over the mixture and eat it like cereal! It's absolutely delicious!

Meal Option #1
    • 2 slices whole wheat bread
    • 1 cup cottage cheese
    • 4 oz. Chicken Breast

I like this meal because it's light, simple, and tastes excellent. I simply toast the 2 slices of whole wheat bread, and spread the cottage cheese on top of the toast. The 4 oz. of chicken I eat separately for extra protein.

The importance of pre-workout supplementation

This aspect of preparing for the gym is widely overlooked. Often times, we don't feel like going to the gym because we're just too tired. Sometimes we fail to train with all out intensity, and need a supplement to enable us to train harder and longer. Or maybe you're just looking for a product that will give you a mind-blowing pump! Whatever it is you're looking for, my recommendations are below!
    • ErgoPharm AMP
    This product is one of my absolute favorites. The energy and rush this product gives you is simply unbelievable. I can recall days where I felt like sleeping in and not working out, but once I took ErgoPharm's AMP I was ready to go! This product will ultimately help you prepare for the gym by increasing your energy levels and mental alertness for training!
    • Controlled Labs White Blood
    This product is another one of my favorites. White Blood enhances blood transport, and contains a wide array of substances that all work in synergy to increase the volume of muscle cells, which in turn is very anabolic! This product will help you prepare for the gym by giving your a mind-blowing pump going into your workout - which will ultimately encourage you to train harder and more intensely!
    • Scivation Xtend
    This product is my favorite supplement out there. The watermelon flavor is simply amazing! It tastes just like watermelon candy - it's so good! I recommend sipping on some Xtend prior, during, and after your workout for optimal recovery and enhanced performance!

Beat the log book!

If you're an organized bodybuilder, you should be keeping a log book, in which you record sets, reps, and weight for each exercise. Each session, you should prepare for the gym by establishing goals to increase in either weight or reps on a few of the exercises. This will overload the muscle each workout and force it to grow!

I personally prefer to keep my log online, conveniently located right here on bodybuilding.com's forum in the workout journal section. Doing so allows me to interact with other members on the message boards - and they're great for giving me some motivation to lift heavy and hard!

Mind over matter, always

Before heading to the gym, mentally picture yourself cranking out reps on the exercises you are scheduled to do that particular day. Lifting is almost completely mental for me - and I always convince myself that I can do it before attempting a heavy lift. So before you step foot into the gym, make sure your mentally ready to lift some heavy weight! It's mind over matter, always.

Don't forget your gym bag!

Before going to the gym to workout, make sure that you have all the essentials packed in your gym bag. This includes your lifting gloves or lifting straps, chalk, weight belt, whey protein for your post workout shake, a shaker cup, water bottle, and your MP3 player, and whatever else you may need! If you have somewhere to be after working out, don't forget your clothes to change into after training!

I'm a pretty intense guy when it comes to bodybuilding. I'm currently preparing for my very first bodybuilding competition for next year, so before I enter the gym, I like to make sure everything is in check including my pre-workout nutrition and supplementation. Everything has to be just so.

I usually train later in the afternoon after work or school (depending on my schedule). First, I eat a solid pre-workout meal about 45-90 minutes before working out. I take all my pre-workout supplements at this time as well. As I'm eating my meal, I look over my log book. I establish goals I want to achieve on each exercise, and say to myself I have to get those goals no matter what!

If my energy levels are stagnant, I'll watch an intense scene or two from my favorite bodybuilding videos. The infamous squatting scene featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger from the documentary, "Pumping Iron" always gets me motivated. "Ronnie Coleman : The Cost of Redemption" is another one of my favorites to watch if I'm feeling low on energy and need some motivation to lift.

I then prepare for the gym by packing all the essentials I need for the gym in my gym bag. This includes my bodybuilding.com shaker bottle, towel, lifting gloves, change of clothes, water bottle, whey protein, and dextrose for my post workout shake. I also pack my MP3 player for some hard hitting music to get me amped to lift some serious weight!

On the drive to the gym, I blast some hard rock music with powerful vocals which gets me completely pumped to attack the weights! I mentally picture myself accomplishing all of my goal lifts for that particular day.

Once I begin to enter the gym, I begin to sip my Scivation Xtend, turn up the tunes on my MP3 player, take a good look in the mirror and let out a few shouts for extra motivation. By now, I'm ready to attack the weights!
    Last edited by mivi320; 01-02-2006 at 07:13 PM.

mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mivi320 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    continued

What do you wear?

I usually wear athletic shorts with a comfortable short-sleeve T-shirt. Since I live in the Southeast, it's pretty hot for the most part. On days when the heat index is elevated, I usually wear a tank top or my bodybuilding.com racer-back tank top.

I also wear my athletic shoes with my low top socks since the heat is usually scorching. On days I do squats, I wear my high top shoes for extra ankle support.

Do you have certain clothes you wear all the time to the gym?

Yes, I often dress occasionally to the body part I'm training that particular day. For example, if I'm training my biceps and triceps tomorrow, chances are I'll wear a sleeveless shirt so I can better concentrate on the muscles I'm training. Dressing occasionally to the muscle I'm training has allowed me to increase my vision of training the particular muscle to the fullest, and conclusively has improved my mind-to-muscle connection!

What do you bring with you?

Items I bring to the gym
    • Gym bag
    • Bodybuilding.com shaker cup
    • Towel
    • Scivation Xtend or BCAA mix diluted in water bottle
    • Lifting gloves, straps, chalk
    • MP3 player
    • Whey protein and dextrose for my post-workout shake
    • Change of clothes

What shouldn't you bring with you? [list][*]Your cell phone. The last time I checked, the gym is for lifting - not for idle chatting or negotiating business deals.[*]Your kids. The gym can be a dangerous place for young ones. If your gym has a nursery, drop them off their. Otherwise, don't bring them for safety reasons! [*]Sports equipment not related to weight lifting. I see so many people bring basketballs into my gym because the indoor basketball court is adjacent to the weight room, and these people often dribble the ball in the weight room. This is extremely annoying and is a big distraction. Again, the gym is for lifting.[*]Your ego. This isn't the 9th grade and nobody cares how much you're bench pressing.[*]Your flip-flops and bathing suit. I see this one all the time at my gym too, as the pool is located right next to the weight room. Folks go for a quick dip in the pool area then come into the weight room and crank out a few sets of curls, and then proceed to the indoor pool.

How do gyms accommodate their members? A

Of all the gyms I've trained at, the gym personnel have been extremely accommodating. For example, there has been times when I've forgotten to pack my towel, and the gym accommodated me with one.

Another thing I noticed is that the gym’s staff located at the front desk are very accommodating as well. There was an instance when I had cut my finger on a piece of equipment in the gym, and it started bleeding excessively. I went to the front desk and showed them my finger, and they fixed me right up!

The current gym I train at is very considerate of their members - as several members requested for a broader dumbbell selection, and within a few weeks, the petition was fulfilled! They just ordered all new machines not too long ago, so I'm anticipating those as well!

Are there any trends (good/bad) you see from gym to gym that might need to be emphasized/addressed?

One of the biggest problems I see at most gyms is members fail to wipe down the equipment with a paper towel and provided sanitizer. This often leaves the equipment covered in somebody else's sweat, which is just plain disgusting!

Another trend I see that needs to be addressed is members using awful form for the sacrifice of using more weight. I see this mostly in beginner lifters and young teens. This problem certainly needs to be addressed at my gym, as it is way too common.

Another big mistake I see from gym to gym is folks performing dangerous exercises that place too much stress on the joints - particularly the rotator cuff. Behind the neck barbell presses and upright rows are two very dangerous exercises, as they both put pressure on the rotator cuff and may cause shoulder impingement. These exercises should be avoided, as their are several alternatives that target the shoulders much more effectively.

Bonus: What do you do with your kids when you go to the gym?

If you have young children, you can simply leave them in the gym nursery while you get your workout in. If your gym doesn't have a nursery, you can simply let your kids play in the indoor basketball gym if they're old enough.

Another good alternative is to leave your children with your wife, relatives, or friends to watch over them while you get your workout in. As a last resort, you can always hire a baby sitter to watch your kids while you go to the gym.

Does your gym provide services for children?

Yes, and many of the gym members find it very convenient. I don't have young kids, but have talked to several of the members and they love the program the gym implements. The gym members simply drop their kids off in the nursery, get their workout in, and pick up their kids when they're done working out! Easy as that!

Good luck with all of your training goals!

Mike

RUTHLESS AFFECTION!!!! no_strain_no_ga's Avatar
    no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by no_strain_no_ga

I always bring a doufel bag so I can carry my clothing, waters, protein shake , towels and bathing products. I sometimes forget something, so I always check it before I leave.

Clothing should be light and comfortable. No heavy shirts, like sweaters or wool shirt, go with a normal t-shirt or even a sleeveless shirt. I always wear my swim trunks, as i said, this is very light and comfortable when I workout. Never bring pants, espicially blue jeans, not a propen workout clothe. Always wear socks and shoes, mostly running shoes. Don't go with flip flops or some worn down business shoes. Everything must be confortable for you. If you would like, I do this, wear a head strap. I get sweaty sometimes and I have sweat pouring down my face and if I wear a head strap, it catches all the sweat. Rinse out in awhile too.

My gym has showers, so when I'm done with my workout, I always take a shower. So I bring a towel and shampoo and deodarent too. I barely have time to take a shower during my workout days so I always take on there. I would also bring aextra towel. Sometimes the people who just came off the bench was sweating and now the whole bench is covered with sweat. Gross, right. Luckily my gym has some paper towels to help us clean up. I bring my protein shake powder with. My gym has bottle slim milk, so I always mix it up. But if your gym doesn't, Bring a canten or a bottle of slim milk so you can mix it. Also bring a bottle or 2 after your cardio and on the drive home.

Please don't bring junk food or soda, why are you even going to workout anyways if you are going to bing on that. I don't bring any MP3 player or Ipod to the gym, because if I do, it always comes off and gets me distracted sometimes, and no I don't have ADHD.And NEVER, I say NEVER bring your girlfriend, just kidding. Yeah, I like to see my girlfriend workout too.

My gym has everything basically, restrooms, all the equipment to do cardio and workout, basketball courts, vending machines fiilled with protein bars and slim milk, tanning salons, child care, and a rock climbing wall, yes you heard me right, a ROCKCLIMBING WALL. The reason that my gym has vending machines stockpiled with protein bars and slim milk and steroids, just kidding again,The reason we have them stuff is because I advised it. They just had water and Gatorade and I asked if they could afford it and said yes and about 4 weeks we had 2 vending machines with the new stuff. But, no one knows that I'm the reason that we have it . I would also encourage the basketball courts, One-on-One action against anyone working out is just so much fun, sad thing is I'm 5'6". I haven't gone to the tanning salons, but people come out golden.

***BONUS***
    What do you do with your kids when you go to the gym? Does your gym provide services for children?

I'm 15, so I have no kids to worry about, buy yes my gym provides child care for the mothers and sometimes fathers who have to bring their runt/s to the gym. It is pretty good actually, they have the thing that they have McDonalds, the balls and slide and have play houses and a room for nap time and provide with juice and milk and snacks. So I wouldn't bother bringing my children there when I have some of my own

Thanks

Mike Kramer
    I fixed some stuff on my essay, so go off this on webmaster
    I Rep Back!

Owe:

Recharge:
    jbodybuilder, nickrut

Owe Me:

Negs:
    Lecter(4 lyfe)

artist47 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

First and most important, I schedule time for the gym along with my other weekly appointments, and pick up missed workouts when I can or at home if I have to. Secondly, I always keep work out clothes, gym towels, music and a book in the car, so if I get a chance for an extra work out I don't have to go home first. I try to eat reasonably well and keep well hydrated so I don't have to play catchup.

My gym wear includes a good athletic bra, a sleevless tee, sweatpant, good socks and decent lightwieght shoes. I shop forfunctionality not style and recently I also wear a zipping sweat shirt which I can peel if I need to.

I bring gym towels, a book for cardio, otherwise I get bored and try to talk myself into quiting early, and music, becuase what they play at the gym sucks and is often too loud. I try to bring friends but they usually don't show more than twice. I also bring a water bottle becuse I don't want to catch things. I don't bring food, and I keep the phone in the car. And hair ties. This is not a fashion show and I am not there to make friends or find lovers, so I don't care how I look, but I think it is important to be clean and to leave germs at home. So I don't work out if I am sick.

Don't come drunk!

My gym is okay, but usually far too crowded. It is clean and they provide disinfectant to wipe off the cardio machines, but none by the weight benches. You have to bend to get a drink if you choose to use the fountains, hard on the back, and I am only 5'4! i see we now have taning, I haven't checked it out, I tan else where, there is a gear shop, a basket ball gym, a gym for classes, a spin room and a pool which is often out of order. The locker rooms are clean, but have TVs. why do you need a tv at the gym?
    There are showers which I have not tried, and sinks, but benches to change are small and few. I tyr to schedule my workouts so I can shower at home. I worked with a trainer for about a year and he was polite and helpful till I could no longer afford him. The fees are tremendous and the trainer is paid by the gym. There is no incentive to help people who are not clients of the trainers and coaching by the body builders or other memebers is strictly forbidden. Penalty is loss of memebrship with no refund. So unless you already have a workout partner, I doubt you will pick one up.
    There are a lot of people all the time except late at night. My feeling is that once you've paid they don't know or care who you are. I've been going three years and only one guy knows my name. Turnover seems to be a problem.

I have been to two other gyms in town and by comparison, mine is well lighted and well equipped. the one is dark with yucky carpet to work out on, the wieght machines are few, and while new, not top notch, but thier cardio machines are brand new. I have used thier wet sauna, and it was great, but not tried the hot tub. On the plus side, it is never crowded. There is not child care at all. Also the free weights are located in another part of the building. I glanced in and did not feel there was enough room for safety.

The other had newer cardio machines but they were in a small room and weight machines in a long hall like room which does seem to encourage moving on. They have a running track and basketball courts, swimming pools and a hot tub. They have excellent childcare and some classes for kids and familes. They are usually busy and they are expensive. the free weights were once again in another part of the building.

***BONUS***

Child care consists of a play room with some climbing stuff, a TV and VIDEO GAMES. They have the gall to call it a kid gym! Kids under 12 are not allowed on the floor even with supervison and there are no classes for kids. Childcare is not included with the membership and hours are very limited. They are often looking for help and it makes me nervous to see such a turn over. my son, normally very active gels into a blob in fornt of the video games, so I quit bringing him. he could do that for free at home on rainy days.
    Last edited by artist47; 01-03-2006 at 10:11 PM.

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OK thios aint gonna win no prizes. I'm not going to bother answering all the bullets.

Here's how I prepare for the gym:

Preparation starts the day before (sometimes even DAYS before). I think about the session coming up, and begin to plan and visualize the rouitine. If it's leg day, or another highly taxing routine I find this mental preparation vital. It gets me psyched up for the pain. I asess my body's state of recovery form the last session.
    I ask myself, 'has it recovered from last session? Is my back still sore from deads? Is my mind recovered? Do I feel ready to train again?' I need to feel ready for a session. I get a good nights sleep and plenty of food.

The morning comes. I have a large breakfast of eggs, oats, fruit juice and protein drink. Depending on what time of the day I'm training I'll just eat and eat right up until an hour before the gym, making sure I get lots of complex carbs in me. I'll eat some fruit half hour before I go.

I take a shower before I go, so I smell nice.
    I make sure my shoes are clean, on the soles especially. I grab a t shirt and some bottoms, making sure they are clean and don't smell.

I spray a little deodorant over me but no cologne. It's a training session, not a date.

I make sure I have all the tools I might need for the session - lifting straps, powder, some fruit incase I get hungry mid-session, etc.

I grab a water bottle and fill it right up. I like to keep hydrated thoroughly throughout the session.

I get to the gym and do my thing.

Soap box squatting. Andrew.Cook's Avatar
    Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Gym preperation is something that really depends on the individual. I'm a big fan of routine. My pre-gym routine involves mentally running through my workout, assessing any aches/pains that I may be dealing with, and how I want to work around them (or work through them). I've found that this kind of mental rehersal helps me stay in focus once I hit the gym.

Clothing should be functional when it comes to the gym. I've found that thrift stores carry an ample supply of cotton t-shirts just begging to protect me from an old chalky and dirty olympic bar. I've found that lifting is a dirty business, and I have issues with destroying a $50 shirt when it feels so much better to wreck my "Joe's car wash" shirt for a whopping 75 cents. That being said, I find that clothing for cardio days is a totally different story. It is worth the extra coin to buy clothes that have moisture wicking capacity, and that allow you to move in a very unrestricted fashion. No chaffing, rubbing, or heavy sweat soaked cotton ever makes cardio more fun. I think someone famous once said that. Perhaps Bronson Pinchot? Generally speaking, I find that almost anything is acceptable with the exception of pants with rivets, as they tend to dramatically add to the wear and (literally) tear of benches and seats in the gym.

I have become a bit of a gadget man in my workouts. Sleeves to keep joints warm, wrist wraps, straps, grips (not a fan of gloves because I always get pinched by them)... of course I find the most important thing I bring with me is my journal. Now, it took me a very long time to get into the journal habit, but I find it an absolute necessity for tracking my progress. I can have a great workout without any of the other "stuff", but without the journal I'm just wasting time.

I workout in a fairly unique environment, for the most part. I am in the military, and thus I work out in military gyms. How do they accomodate the members? Well, between you and me they open the doors, and that is where the support ends. They are always staffed but rarely, if ever, by anyone that could provide a spot on squats or give you nutritional advice. All of that is fine, as I'm a motivated individual. The one trend that I see in my gym is the lack of courtesy towards the equipment. People throwing dumbells, not putting away plates... etc. Not that I've ever been directly disrespected (it is the military, there are still rules there) but it really aggrivates me to go into the gym and one of the 75 pound weights is cracked because someone wasn't man, or woman, enough to treat the equipment with respect.

Kids at the gym... boy, that is an interesting question. At some of the family accessible gyms, there are kids from time to time. I bring my son with me from time to time to take a couple laps around the track with me, or to play some basketball, but I never bring him when I lift. Of course, at the gyms I go to there is no child care. Frankly I love the idea of the gym child care! Single parents should not have to suffer physically because they don't have a spouse around to watch the kids for an hour. Plus I think it is a great message to send to your children. Fitness is important and more than hearing that you went to the gym, they should see the gym, and see that you enjoy yourself when you are there. I think there is a strong psychological impact there. Perhaps someone should study that.

scubasteve2105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scubasteve2105 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For me the gym is very mental. I do things in order. T-minus 1.5hrs, multivitamin, meal w/ protein & carbs, little fat (usually chicken or turkey sandwich, mustard). 30 minutes to go, I take my dose of NOxplode thinking about pounding those weights, visualizing my whole workout from my warmup to post lifting cardio. In the car on the way the music is loud, it's leg day and the squat rack is mine. I walk in slamming down the protein shake, I think the girl at the counter said something to me but I can't hear her, all I hear is the pounding iron.

Always sleeveless shirt and shorts. Not b/c I want the girls to oogle over my arms, I want to see them in the mirror. I want to watch the muscles swell. Loose and lightweight. I like underarmour, but I sweat a lot so the towel is like clothing for me. The shorts, Southampton College Lacrosse game shorts, that's why I'm here, I'm an athlete, it's a constant reminder that even though I graduated I'm an athlete. I play once a week, and I will be ready for that game.

I always bring a large bottle of water. If my workout partner is there no music, I can't hear him yelling at me to get those last few reps. If not, my ipod is going in my ears, keeps the adrenaline up. Towel to wipe up my sweat. Shake for when I'm done. What don't I bring? Negativity, pessimism, a bad attitude. Try not to bring the girlfriend, I'm there to pound cold iron, not make out in the corner. No magazines for cardio, if I can read my heart rate sure isn't gonna be high enough. My bag is packed with the essentials, weight belt, straps, change of clothes, plastic bag for my soon to be soaked shirt. Don't bring any clothes that cover a body part you don't like, if Arnold can rip off his pant legs to let the world watch his calves grow so can you.

My gym has a few fridges stocked with shakes and drinks, all healthy. A+. Skim milk too!!!! But if i forget my towel I have to pay $2 to get one??? Then you get mad when people sweat. Free lockers, awesome. Good cardio class schedules, silver sneakers program. Free day with the trainer. But most important, enough squat racks and smith machines so I don't stand around waiting and losing my pump on leg day.

Only 22 and engaged, not married, I have no kids. I feel that my gyms day care center though is inaddequate. It is too small and not open enough hours. It's a large closet with some toys and a tv. We want the parents to be healthy and spend money on daycare, but we want their kids locked in a small room with only one person on hand. No good. Give the kids something to play on. Children need fitness too!

Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thread of The Week page 1

My preparation for a workout starts at early morning. I know that this day is hallowed. If I can let myself to cheat a bit when I have a day off, my workout day is perfect. Everything is carefully planned since all beginning. Every time I train – I want to be sure that I reach maximum on every workout.

Generally my preparation starts with:

Pre Workout Hydration – I try to consume most water before and during my workout. I believe it affects my gains at a gym.

Pre Workout Nutrition – My last meal before a workout is one of biggest meals of a day. Usually I eat chicken breast with rice and sweat corn (my favorite). I like to train with full stomach, because I can’t concentrate on weights when I’m hungry. If I’m feeling tired, I drink a cup of strong coffee or two cans of red bull.

30 minutes after my pre workout meal I take 1 packet of Animal Pak. I like this product. It helps to keep my vitamins intake high and it contains ginseng and other performance enhancers, so I feel better during my workout.

1h after my pre workout meal I take a serving of Green Bulge and White Blood and after some time I hit the gym.

Watching Something for Motivation – I like watching pictures of great bodybuilders or watching videos. It really motivates me to workout harder. I know that I can’t achieve anything if I’m lazy. Movie “Pumping Iron” with Arnold and “The Cost of Redemption” with Ronnie Coleman has really inspired me. I always watch fragments of them before my workout. The part where Ronnie is doing squats or leg presses just blows me up.

Packing My Bag – Ok, the time has come. It's time to hit the gym. Just last step left – putting all stuff to my bag. Even when I carry many various things to gym – I don’t like big bags. I always prefer smaller ones. I hate when changing room is congested with huge and nearly empty gym bags. My gym bag usually contains:

My tank top or sleeveless t-shirt

Light, medium length shorts

Heavy athletic shoes

Towel, sponge, shower gel, deodorant (all I need for a good shower)

Pair of gloves and straps (only for critical weight)

Post workout shake (1 scoop of Optimum Whey, 50gr of Dextrose, 2.5gr CEE, 500ml low fat Milk)

Few bodybuilding.com water bottles filled with water

Extra socks, underwear, clothes

My workout log with my training routine

I don’t have any special prejudices regarding workout clothing but I do have some clothes I like to wear when I’m training. I usually wear:

Tank Top – I like to wear tank tops instead regular t-shirts because I just like to see myself pumped in the mirror. It may sound egocentric, but good pump motivates me even more. I enjoy seeing my pumped biceps and if it even helps to my motivation – why not? Also it helps to control my technique when I’m doing bicep and tricep exercises.

Light, medium length Shorts – I wear shorts instead of pants or tracksuit because I feel more comfortable when I’m doing squats and many other exercises. It’s warm enough too.

Low Socks – Nothing fancy, I just like the way they look and I’m feeling comfortable.

Heavy Reebok Sneakers – Yes, they are heavy, but I feel more balanced when I wear them compared to lighter shoes. Good stuff if you are true squats fan.
    Last edited by Squat_lt; 01-04-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Squat_lt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thread of The Week page 2

In my opinion, what you bring to the gym is very important. Some things can greatly boost and improve your workout, while others can distract you of training and ruin your workout.

Every bodybuilder should consider about bringing these things to gym:

Clothing: Good dressing can also slightly improve or decrease performance of your training.

Shoes – Shoes are very important when it comes to lifting heavy weights. Good shoes will make you feel comfortable, will stabilize your feet and improve your balance. It is even more important if you are squats of deadlifts fan. In addition, do not go overboard with comfort. You do not want to wear light tennis shoes while you are squatting with few hundred pounds. Your shoes must be appropriate for your training goals.

Clothes – You must choose proper clothes regarding the environment you train. Generally, simple t-shirt or tank top and light shorts would suit most bodybuilders, but sometimes you need to make exceptions. You must feel warm enough, to feel comfortable. Of course, there is no need to bring winter sweater to gym and sweat all the time. However, you should not be freezing too. Training in the cold gym probably is the worst thing to do. Therefore, you need to adjust your clothing wisely to bring your training to A level.

Training accessories: Nowadays there is huge choice of various accessories regarding weightlifting. Some of them helps to train more comfortably, while others are essential if you are serious about weight training. I will write about few most popular bodybuilding accessories that you can see in the gym almost every day.

Gloves – Many bodybuilders and others who are familiar with sport wear gloves while training to protect their hands. Even when I propose to train barehanded to everyone, sometimes gloves are useful. Good gloves will help to protect hands and strengthen the grip when you are lifting heavy weights. So it’s up to you whenever to train with gloves or barehanded.

Straps – Straps are fastened around your wrist and twisted around a bar to strengthen your grip. They might be very helpful when doing deadlifts, pull-ups and various other exercises when grip strength is important. Straps might be good aid in your back workout. However all straps and gloves keep hand strength from fully developing naturally. So it’s the matter of personal preference to use them or not.

Wraps – Wraps are used to support weak or injured joints ant muscles. Most popular types of wraps are wrist wraps and knee wraps. Mostly knee wraps are used when doing very heavy squats. They can aid tremendously in injury prevention. Knee wrap helps to stabilize and support knee joint. Wrist wraps are used in pushing exercises. Such as heavy bench press or military press. Some gloves already come with wrist wraps.

Belts – Belts are essential when doing heavy full squats or deadlifts. They helps to protect lower back and abs from injury. However, you can’t use belt too much. I see some guys wearing belts even when they are doing tricep pushdowns or dumbbell kickbacks. That’s certainly bad way to train. Gradually your lower back and abs strength will suffer and you will be prone to injury. So use belt only when you need to. Most gyms provide lifting belts but it’s always worth to have your own.

Chalk – That’s the old school diamond! Most bodybuilders in 70’s and 80’s didn’t use any fancy gloves or straps. Chalk keeps hand dry for a secure grip. Hardcore bodybuilders always suggest chalk instead any other grip enhancers. If you are serious about lifting, you must have chalk in your stash!

Manta Ray – It’s squatting accessory that’s made of soft plastic. It promotes effective load distribution and prevents bar from rolling or slipping. I didn`t try it myself but description is interesting and customer testimonials are very good. It’s not very cheap. But I think if you feel very uncomfortable while doing squats or it’s hard to keep your back straight you should try this “squat enhancer”. You can also try Sting Ray for front squats.

You can find all accessories for your workout here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/acc2.htm

Nutrition: Nowadays probably everybody knows the importance of post workout nutrition. More and more people call post workout meal as most important meal of the day and it’s definitely true! After hard and exhausting workout glycogen stores are low and protein breakdown is increased. You need to consume simple carbs and some protein quickly. Post workout meal may not be a problem if you are living few minutes away from gym, but to most people it takes much longer to travel back home ant prepare a meal. Then post workout shake comes into play.

Post Workout Supplements – PW supplements are getting more and more popular every day. Every time you finish your workout, you see more and more people drinking protein shake or popping amino acids after a hard workout. It’s convenient and easy way to consume all nutrients needed for your body. Most popular PW supplements today are:

Whey Protein – It’s highest quality and best form of protein today. In addition, it’s digested very quickly (30min.) and it’s excellent source of protein after your workout. You get a free shaker bottle with every bigger bodybuilding.com order so it’s very easy to mix a tasty and nutrient rich shake and carry it to gym. You should get up to 50 grams of protein from whey after your workout.

Dextrose – You may ask – why I need sugar after my workout? The answer is simple – your glycogen stores are dead low after your workout and you need to replenish them quickly. Dextrose (glucose) simple sugar derived from corns. It’s cheap and has high glycemic index. It’s perfect source of carbs straight after your workout. I suggest mixing about 50 grams of it to protein shake. Some people prefer weight gainers for post workout shake, but in my opinion, it’s only waste of money. Keep it simple! Use dextrose!

Amino Acids – Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. It can be very effective way to decrease protein breakdown after a workout. There are many amino acid blends in the market today, but I would prefer BCAA for post workout. BCAA prevent protein breakdown, glutamine breakdown and muscle damage. It’s certainly an awesome product. I would suggest taking 10 gr. of BCAA right after your workout. Then drinking a protein shake after 30 minutes.

Creatine Ethyl Ester – Creatine Monohydrate arrival to supplement market nearly caused revolution. Simply it’s most popular and effective bodybuilding supplement on a market. However it’s poorly absorbed by a body and scientists attached ester to creatine molecule. It greatly improved creatine and everybody are making amazing gains with this product. You should definitely try it. You should take 2.5 grams before and 2.5 grams after your workout. After you finish your workout – it’s critical time when your body is craving for nutrients and creatine is best absorbed after a workout.

You can find all supplements for your workout here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/

Water – Hydration during a workout is not less important than anytime. You need to consume between 1-2 gallons a day. You should consume most of your daily liquids before and during the workout. Most gyms have vending machines and provides water, but I prefer to bring it from home. I always bring a few bodybuilding.com water bottles with me. I offer to sip water after every set and exercise.

Other things that you should bring to gym:

Hygiene Kit – Everybody knows the importance of proper hygiene so I won’t explain it in a great detail. I strongly suggest taking a shower after a workout if your gym has one. Moreover, don’t forget to choose and bring all essential things for it: towel, shampoo, shower gel, soap, sponge, deodorant, perfume, etc. It’s up to you what you will use to keep yourself clean. Of course don’t forget to bring some extra clothes and socks. You don’t want to “kill” people with a smell of good cardio workout.

Workout Log – I would highly recommend to keep a track of your progress in gym. It’s way easier to see if you are doing a good progress towards you goals when you keep your training diary up. So keep up your training diary. Write everything you want to: training routines, measurements, weight, note of sets, reps and weights, write down even the way you feel that day or what you think. It all helps to reach your goal.

Mp3 Player – It’s not a necessary thing in gym, but sometimes it helps to keep you motivated. Some guys might not like gym music, so it’s also worth to bring it at this case. Just make sure that you feel absolutely comfortable with your player. Falling earphones and cables can seriously distract you from primary thing in the gym – lifting weights.

Things that you should not bring to gym:

Mobile Phone – You don’t want to be distracted with long conversations during your workout!

Valuable stuff – There’s no need to bring all your money or jewelry to gym. You are not here to look beautiful. Leave all that stuff at home.

Kids and pets – Bringing your child to gym can lead to disaster and leaving your barking dog outside is certainly bad if you want to concentrate. It could be an exception if your gym provides services for kids, but I would leave my child at home anyway.

Junk Food – Keep bad food away from you all the time! Especially when you are going to gym.
    Last edited by Squat_lt; 01-04-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Thread of The Week page 3

Nowadays most gyms have many various facilities. Such as swimming pools, saunas, jacuzzis, tanning beds, various classes, basketball and tennis courts, etc. You should choose a gym regarding your concerns. If you are serious about bodybuilding, you should leave all fancy health centers with swimming pools and choose good gym with sufficient range of free weights, machines and cardio equipment. You don’t need anything more. Ussualy membership for this kind of gym is cheaper too.

I think one of the biggest bad trends in gyms is poor knowledge of trainers. Every gym has instructor, but we can count good ones on a fingers of a single man. I’m in bodybuilding for a while and I saw really bad trainers at gyms.

I remember one very skinny guy in my old gym. He was training for years without any progress. He was always crying that he needs to gain weight. Fat or muscle, no matter what, but gain. He was strictly following training routine made by trainer. He trained every muscle group 2 times a week and he was doing cardio for almost an hour before every workout! I tried to speak with him – how can you gain weight and muscle if you are doing almost 4 hours of cardio a week?! How can you build your muscle if you train after one hour marathon on a treadmill?! But he blindly followed that workout anyway… He supported his marathons that cardio is good for heart… sad and funny… Not mentioned that instructor was a "joke" too. He couldn’t even bench 200 pounds…

So we can see that a bad gym instructor can certainly distance and destroy goals of person who’s new to sport.

Another bad habit in gym would be free weights… I’m sick of people leaving weights everywhere. It’s always big hassle if you want to find small plates. You need to search all gym before you find them somewhere in the corner. I’ve been training in many gyms but “bring weight to it’s place” discipline was emphasized only in one. More gym trainers and owners should bring order to gyms…

Actually, it’s not a big problem for me because I don’t have any children yet. But services for children at gym should be essential part of every gym. It’s great to bring all family to gym. Both you and your partner could train while your child is having fun at the same time. Hassle with children would be avoided at this case.

However most gyms don’t have services for children, my gym as well. Sometimes even worse – some gyms allow little kids in training hall. It’s dangerous and it creates big distraction for bodybuilders. Gym management shouldn’t allow this!
    Last edited by Squat_lt; 01-04-2006 at 06:42 PM.