amythest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amythest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

dr. bernstein diet

While on holidays this Xmas season, I heard about a diet program thats been around for awhile called Dr. Bernstein. As far as I know it's based in Canada and is only available in Canada. This program has offices that you go to 3x per week which has registered nurses and doctors. They take your blood test 3x per week and you have to have your urine (first thing in the morning) tested 3x per week also. Apparently, while I was talking to a relative that is on this program, says that you don't do any type of cardio because if you need to lose body fat, cardio depletes your muscles.

Basically, the diet consists of low fat,low carb,low sugar,low salt, etc. but you're monitored all the time. The blood and urine tests determine how much body fat your burning or if you're burning at all.
    Check out the website www.drbernstein.com

Has anyone heard of this program?

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The blood and urine tests determine how much body fat your burning or if you're burning at all.
    I am unaware of any blood or urine test that can determine whether you are losing fat or muscle.

More likely, the prohibition against cardio and the need to monitor you so frequently is because the diet is inherently unhealthy. This is just a guess - I don't anything about this program. But I can't imagine why so much monitoring could be needed.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I found the answer

I went to the website you posted. On this program, the goal is to lose 16-20 pounds per month... 4-5 pounds per week.

Here's the reason why there is so much montoring (quoted from the website):

The only people who treat you at The Dr. Bernstein clinics are doctors and registered nursing personnel. We monitor your progress almost daily.

And for good reason. Without proper medical supervision and close monitoring, there can be serious repercussions to your health.
    Emphasis mine.

hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hey there

Yes, I have done this diet...After the Birth of my first baby, I was HUUUGE and needed SOMETHING to help me out, so I spent $125/week and went to the Dr.Bernstein clinic in Niagara Falls....it was worth it, in that I LOST weight...but it was VERY limiting as far as what you can eat....plus if you dont like needles...yikes.....
    Now the program has changed slightly since I went in 2002...but after the birth of my #2 and #3 babies, I used the eating from the diet to help lose the baby weight, only I tweaked it so I still had plenty of energy for my kids, and running....

If anyone has any questions I will try to help out and answer them the best I can from my experience

Leanne

amythest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amythest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yes, i would like to ask you, hottieboombody, a question,
    how restricting is the food and what are the recommended times they say you have to eat ie. every 2-3 hrs or more or less? and this diet has a lot to do with portions sizes, doesn't it?

ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ashley9601 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool hmmm....

That doesn't sound like a very healthy program to me at all. I think you're only supposed to lose 1-2 lbs. a week. Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't understand why "doctors" would recommend a diet that is unhealthy. It sounds like one of those fad diets to me. And then, to pay that kind of money?? They must be kidding. Call me old fashioned but I guess I still believe the only way to lose weight is to eat healthy and exercise. I don't believe in quick fixes, or starving oneself.

I'm willing to bet this is just another gimmick type of diet whose time shall pass.

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dbflgirl
    I am unaware of any blood or urine test that can determine whether you are losing fat or muscle.

Could it be ketones that they're testing for?

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hottieboombody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I completely agree

I think this diet is VERY VERY costly and limiting...BUT, I do think the principles behind the diet are very effective...as I have done a modified version after my #2 and #3 child...(BUT, I had to modify it mainly b/c the diet is based around NOT working out....and just like ashley said...working out is KEY in maintaining a healthy lifestyle FOR LIFE)...
    to answer all the questions I have seen you guys post..

1. yes, you bring in a morning urine sample...they test your keytones and can tell if you have cheated on your diet
    2. you are weighed 3 times a week and given B6/B12 injections
    3. The diet itself is based around, (now I figured this out, about...700-1000 calories/day)
    4. Diet leaves you with little energy, no bananas, carrots...they are VERY specific on what foods and brands of foods you can have. All food is weighed and/or measured.
    5. 3 meals and 2 snacks...but it took me 3 days before I didnt feel like I would eat my right arm.

Now I know this sounds harsh, but for me I did this diet as a "last resort" I was 230lbs AFTER having my son...I worked out for NEARLY a year and only went to 195lbs, and I am 5'2....I was a mess....so the diet gave me the kickstart I needed to motivate and discipline myself...of course, I reached my goal weight, and got prego again...then I reached my goal weight, and got PREGO again..lol...so now I am less than my goal weight...happy and most of all HEALTHY...
    Hope this helps...
    let me know!!
    Leanne
    Mom of 3....

Height: 5'2
    Weight: I dont know, 120 ISH and I feel good, on my way to feeling great!!

When the worst in life happens, you have to make the best of it...and no matter what anyone says, it is OK to move on....1.5 years later and I am STILL finding out who I am and just what I am made of.

barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barenaked has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by amythest
    While on holidays this Xmas season, I heard about a diet program thats been around for awhile called Dr. Bernstein. As far as I know it's based in Canada and is only available in Canada. This program has offices that you go to 3x per week which has registered nurses and doctors. They take your blood test 3x per week and you have to have your urine (first thing in the morning) tested 3x per week also. Apparently, while I was talking to a relative that is on this program, says that you don't do any type of cardio because if you need to lose body fat, cardio depletes your muscles.

Basically, the diet consists of low fat,low carb,low sugar,low salt, etc. but you're monitored all the time. The blood and urine tests determine how much body fat your burning or if you're burning at all.
    Check out the website www.drbernstein.com

Has anyone heard of this program?
    Amythest,

Before you decide to go on this diet, evaluate what your goals are. If you are obese then this diet might be worth considering. If you are "skinny fat" or out of shape or less than 40lbs overweight, then I strongly recommend AGAINST this diet.
    Your caloric intake is restricted so much that you cannot exercise. In fact, they do not want you to exercise while on the program because you don't have enough fuel (carbs) to keep you going. Therefore, your body composition never really changes because you don't gain any muscle.

Many years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Stanley Bernstein who was a client of a company I used to work for. He convinced me to start his diet because I commented on some cellulite problems I was having.
    Since I was 5'7" and about 135lbs at the time, I really didn't have much weight to lose, but found myself 20lbs lighter after 6 weeks. No one at the clinic bothered to stop me from what friends and family thought was the beginning of anorexia. In addition to losing the weight, I also lost my period. When I approached Bernstein when my menstrual cycle initially went crazy (3 weeks of bleeding in 4 weeks) he told me I was having a breakthrough bleeding. Then nothing for 6 months. My GP explained that my body stopped producing estrogen since I was not healthy enough to get (and stay) pregnant. Since then, everything else has returned to normal.

While my experience was negative, the diet does work for people with SERIOUS weight problems. However, if it's a few pounds you need to work on, then this quick fix will end up backfiring. The better approach would be to follow a diet program that includes lean protein sources, "good" carbs and fat, doesn't starve you and provides you with enough energy to hit the weights. And a proper diet and training regiment is definitely more satisfying than getting needle jabbed in your ass every other day!
    Good luck!
    bn
    Nuke. Pave. Repeat.

shenadefinn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Modified version of Dr. Bernstein

Originally Posted by hottieboombody View Post
    I think this diet is VERY VERY costly and limiting...BUT, I do think the principles behind the diet are very effective...as I have done a modified version after my #2 and #3 child...(BUT, I had to modify it mainly b/c the diet is based around NOT working out....and just like ashley said...working out is KEY in maintaining a healthy lifestyle FOR LIFE)...

1. yes, you bring in a morning urine sample...they test your keytones and can tell if you have cheated on your diet
    3. The diet itself is based around, (now I figured this out, about...700-1000 calories/day)
    4. Diet leaves you with little energy, no bananas, carrots...they are VERY specific on what foods and brands of foods you can have. All food is weighed and/or measured.
    5. 3 meals and 2 snacks...but it took me 3 days before I didnt feel like I would eat my right arm.

Now I know this sounds harsh, but for me I did this diet as a "last resort" I was 230lbs AFTER having my son...I worked out for NEARLY a year and only went to 195lbs, and I am 5'2....I was a mess....so the diet gave me the kickstart I needed to motivate and discipline myself...of course, I reached my goal weight, and got prego again...then I reached my goal weight, and got PREGO again..lol...so now I am less than my goal weight...happy and most of all HEALTHY...
    Hope this helps...
    let me know!!
    Leanne
    Hello:

I appreciate your post as I have just come off the Dr. Bernstein diet about 2.5 months ago. I am only 5'1 and started at 220 lbs in 2010. I managed to get my weight down to 135 lbs as the very least but this last time I came off of it, I followed the maintanence program (my husband had it handy as he made it to maintanence before me) and started at the gym with a personal trainer. I ahve gained about 10-15 lbs now since I've started working out but I know its b/c I went from now doing any exercise for 2+ years to going full fledge at the gym. However, I am concerned as I was enjoying my weight in the 130's...it hasn't been there since I was a teenager!

I am wondering if you can give me some tips for your "modified" version of the diet? I am going to the gym and am enjoying having muscle on my body again and like that I'm getting curves from it. I really don't want to spend another $600/month on this diet if I don't have ot and can do it on my own for a short time. Did you take the vitamin B6 and V12 pills or did you get the injections from your Dr? Also, did you even take the vitamin B? If not, what was your diet like?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I eat and live a VERY healthy lifestyle and haven't done the nejerk and gone back to McDonalds and eating lots like a lot of people have done. I just want to maintain my weight or lose a little more but by doing it he healthy diet and fitness way!

Thanks and looking forward to your response :-).

Shenade

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Strong bump from 2005.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm wondering if she did a forum search for "bernstein" and just didn't notice it was from 2005 or what. It is always bizarre to see super old threads bumped. When it's that old, it's ok to start a new thread for questions, right?

kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000) kjake55 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JenMc14 View Post
    I'm wondering if she did a forum search for "bernstein" and just didn't notice it was from 2005 or what. It is always bizarre to see super old threads bumped. When it's that old, it's ok to start a new thread for questions, right?
    Oh of course it is, ask away. But if you have researched it I would mention that also so people don't come at you saying that your topic has been done to death and that you should have researched it! Kind of a double whammy, gets you comming and going if you know what I mean. lol I only put the bump note in bc the recent poster was asking questions and looking for advise and the OP probably isn't around anymore.
    You have to train your mind the same way you train your body. You must protect it against the negative and feed it with the positive. Be mindful of what you watch, what you read and who you allow to influence you. Learn to consider your thoughts emotions and actions. Trust your gut face your fears head on and never quit. AJ Roberts

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143102443

JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JenMc14 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kjake55 View Post
    Oh of course it is, ask away. But if you have researched it I would mention that also so people don't come at you saying that your topic has been done to death and that you should have researched it! Kind of a double whammy, gets you comming and going if you know what I mean. lol I only put the bump note in bc the recent poster was asking questions and looking for advise and the OP probably isn't around anymore.
    Yeah, I figured that's why you did it. Hopefully the bumper will see this and start her own thread that starts out "I have questions about the Berntein diet. I searched, and the only thread was from 2005...."

ZachBatch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thats because its a food eating lifestyle designed for diabetics. Not a diet

ZachBatch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have done this food plan for about 2.5 months and Ive lost 59 pounds as of today. I also live in the states and dont go in for injections or any of that. Thats the scam part. Just listen to your body. If your getting sick, add more protein. Everyones different, you just have to find the sweet spot.

Wickdwitch76 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question

Originally Posted by hottieboombody View Post

Hope this helps...
    let me know!!
    Leanne
    I started doing this diet at home. I can’t afford $279 to register then $700+ a month. I’ve done quite a bit of reading on it and know about vitamins and such. I tried it once before - lasted 4 days and lost a size. Now I have better will power and more imagination for low carb food lol
    I bought all the vitamins in pill form (People don’t have to have them injected). The one thing I haven’t found is if someone is walking daily or doing mild strength training (using ones own body weight - squats, push ups) how much more should a person be eating? I know the point of this is low carb = ketosis = fat burn and not muscle burn. So I imagine it would be extra protein not carbs.
    Thanks
    Shannon