eze232 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eze232 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eze232 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eze232 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eze232 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eze232 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eze232 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) eze232 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

YMCA bench press test....

I have to do the bench press test today at my ymca, Its 80 pound bench as many times as possible to the beat of a metronome at 60 bpm.

Does this type of exercise increase strength? doing as many reps as possible until failure?

Last time I did 50 reps with 80 lbs.. I max out at 235.

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by eze232
    I have to do the bench press test today at my ymca, Its 80 pound bench as many times as possible to the beat of a metronome at 60 bpm.

Does this type of exercise increase strength? doing as many reps as possible until failure?

No, it does not increase strength.... and tell the YMCA personal trainer to take that physical fitness test and shove it.

ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ExplosiveOne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree, I work at a Y doing personal training, Im still in school one more year, and its just a job for me. The YMCA tests are useless for the most part. If anything, the YMCA bench press determines muscle endurance, but i dont think accurate, but a relative range of where you should be at.
    Tryin to be an all-around stud:

bench max = 250lbs
    squat max = 355lbs
    deadlift = 365lbs
    Power Clean = 185lbs
    40 yard dash = 4.5sec
    1 mile run = 5:04 min

darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf
    No, it does not increase strength.... and tell the YMCA personal trainer to take that physical fitness test and shove it.
    Your PT's an idiot.
    *Someday I want to meet this "Everyone," he seems to have written so very much, yet all of it is wrong.
    *Nature is the master of design, and knowledge is the master of nature.
    *Uncertainty is the seed of all knowledge - it is the catalyst of investigation

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by eze232

What?

You're kidding me right?

The most effective thing that workout could do is get you hurt, from simple sloppy form that comes with having to move anything of any significant weight that fast...

Other things it can do...
    It can...
    -Be the crappiest cardio workout in history...
    -Prove nothing
    -Waste your time
    -Make me pissed off that someone was stupid enough to suggest it to you... And that the person in question might be polluting the gene pool if his kids were ever to meet mine!
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

Originally Posted by Nainoa
    What?

You're kidding me right?

The most effective thing that workout could do is get you hurt, from simple sloppy form that comes with having to move anything of any significant weight that fast...

Other things it can do...
    It can...
    -Be the crappiest cardio workout in history...
    -Prove nothing
    -Waste your time
    -Make me pissed off that someone was stupid enough to suggest it to you... And that the person in question might be polluting the gene pool if his kids were ever to meet mine!
    Haha, reps, so true...
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf
    lol, with authority.
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Eze232:Notice the name the ymca bench press TEST. Your trianer is off base and needs to be corrected. Teh test is fro muscle endurance. If he had read the rule he would not use it on anyone but untrained persons. The test loses all valitiy once a person exceads 60 reps.
    I think you need to find talk to your trainer he or she is eather new to excercise or fails to understand when to use the bench press test.

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    having worked at one, u gotta realise they're just basic trainers who are looking to train the general public to get "into shape" they dont have a quarter of the knowledge that some of us do around here... to the common person a ymca is a "fitness centre" to us its just a gym with weights to use.
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511