Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I will break you. KING_OF_SQUAT's Avatar
    KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yeah PD, thats what im talkin bout

tuna, cottage cheese, tuna, protein powder, oats, brown rice.

ta-da. thats whatcha need

(btw, i likey your setup for the PTP workout. i want to see you squatting after these 12 weeks. knee or no knee. 1 legged squats if neccesary )

KS
    \

EDIT oh yeah, and MORE FREAKING TUNA!!!
    Deos fortioribus adesse.

Welders lift more metal.

perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by KING_OF_SQUAT
    yeah PD, thats what im talkin bout

tuna, cottage cheese, tuna, protein powder, oats, brown rice.

ta-da. thats whatcha need

(btw, i likey your setup for the PTP workout. i want to see you squatting after these 12 weeks. knee or no knee. 1 legged squats if neccesary )

KS
    \

EDIT oh yeah, and MORE FREAKING TUNA!!!

Thank you beastie bro

Came in around 2334 cals today, moderate to low carbs 5 meals and one PWO drink, PTP workout, 13 minutes cardio bike, 205 grams o' yerba in 3 liters water, animal pak & no others (Muscle Milk in PWO shake) edit - added short one mile walk after dinner just for circulation...

I can't find a strict journal of a PTP workout here so I am committed to Pavel's workout, Draper's Cardio, and Draper & Venuto's diet plan for the twelve weeks of the big boy 06 hosedown, er um I mean posedown...

If I don't die or grow a third head or anything I will post specifics for PTP and a link to diet log when it is over

I will go ahead and post my plans for week 13 now...

week 13
    chinese buffett
    ponderosa buffet
    Waffle house
    One armed *** *****
    Hagen Daaz rum raisin
    Remote curlsx60x4

see ya in the morning...
    Last edited by perldog007; 01-23-2006 at 06:34 PM.
    Adrenaline rules - got fear ??
    My yerba log/review ****
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=658762

perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10) perldog007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

A common problem

I got a p.m. this morning that I would like to share with the group.

I obviously love yerba mate for it's energizing effects. You have to stop and ponder how old, unhealthy, fat, busted up and generally unfit I have become in my short 44 years to understand the impact of this statement.

All of us decide to get fit, look better. We diet, exercise, feel better, push harder, then crash and quit. Supplement companies who are smart capitolize on our pain with clever marketing gigs.

Even though I am huge l@rd4$$, I used to be super huge and people ask me diet and exercise stuff all the time - no matter how fat you are dropping 6 inches off your belt in 6 months gets noticed. (unless you went from an 80" waist to a 74", you would have to lose at least 12 there...)

People on the forum who can't see what a tubbo I am are even quicker to ask for advice. I am very proud of my progress and happy to help. I may look disgusting to young ladies who are on the beach looking for hardbodies, but the changes I have made have me constantly looking in the mirror.

Please allow me to share a couple of things:

1. you don't have to do it all at once. Slow down if you have to, just don't quit...

2. Bodybuilding is about improving YOU... the elite compete, there is no shame in not being l337... somebody has to be average or there would be no point in having a stage. We should strive to improve, we should all apsire to our ideal physique, but don't eat a muzzle because you don't get your pro card in the first 6 months of working out.

3. Enjoy the journey. Find a way to love your program. I get great satisfaction from proper diet - and it makes refeeds more enjoyable. Nutrition is the big thing, a good diet provides stability.

4. Working out needs to be something you enjoy. if you hate it look at a different workout. There as many ways to get it done as there are people doing it. Beware of people who tell you their method is the only way. Let me put it this way... if the only exercise a person will do without suffereing simultaneous nausea, anxiety, and depression is jazzercise... well, that's the program for them. (at least until they get some therapy)

Having said all this, I would like to share the p.m. I got this a.m.

when I wake up in the morning somedays I can and somedays i cannot muster energy to workout......I lack that caffenated spike.....
    Please advise as to what I could do......Thank you.
    I'ts kind of like firefighting school in the Navy. They teach you that a fire triangle of fuel, oxygen, and heat has to exist for a fire.

Like wise, you need nourishment, exercise, and rest to be healthy.

It is human nature to want fast results. We diet, lose a little weight, exercise, circulation increases. We feel good. So we push a little harder.

Then you wake up one morning and lay there wishing that endless sleep had overtaken you because the last thing you want to do is get up. If you do make it out of bed, you want to phone in an order for pizza and get back under the covers. (well not that bad, but you see my point)

Do this check list for me :

1. I have calculated my caloric needs with the kartch Mccardle formula (370 + [21.6 x LeanBodyMass{in kilograms}]) x 1.5 _work_out_3_to_5_times_per_week_ if more use 1.75

and I get within 20% of my maintanence everyday.

2. I drink one ounce of water for every two pounds of bodyweight everyday, not counting beverages other than plain water.

3. I am taking a fiber supplement and having good regular bowel movements. (psyllium fiber is available in any drugstore or grocery store. Every Doctor and Nurse - including one swole asz nurse who bought a car from me - have said that taking a fiber supp every day will not hurt you, it can only help)

4. I respect my body and I know how much sleep I need to thrive, I am getting it.

5. When I wake up, before I consume anything or do any exercise I drink a liter of water.

6. I may have coffee, tea, or yerba mate in the morning before cardio - but I taper off of caffeine after 3:00 p.m. and will do so until I am sure I am getting good sleep.

7. I take a good multi-vitamin.

8. I will consider taking the advice of Dave Draper in "Your Body Revival" (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dd/ybr.html), who says to rely on muslce building and diet for fat loss and cut my cardio to max of four 20 minute sessions per week.

9. I am really good at consuming lean protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats every three hours that I am awake and I get my five servings of veggies per day along with the occasional peice of fruit.

10. When I enjoy fruit, it is fresh, eaten on an empty stomach (except your liter of water) first thing in the morning, and I wait fifteen minutes before I eat anything else...

11. I have read the article http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek50.htm

written by my good pal perldog007

I promise that somewhere in there lies salvation for you. Sometimes you just have to take a week off and recharge. If you have been training regular for longer than 7 weeks this may be an issue.

Good luck to you.

dog
    When you have everything else in hand, then and only then can ANY fatburner/energizer help. My choice is Yerba Mate, but only after everything else is taken care of ... *_turns_soapbox_mode_off_ *
    My yerba log/review ****

Wink Yerba Mate makes you crazy - don't do it

Okay, so I am having a normal enough day of being a parasite on society (unemployed atm) . I go to the fitness complex here at the pd007 compound _aKa_the_laundry_room_ and do my ptp workout, deads and db presses. We have a relaxed protocol here at the dogpound. As long as you have your chuck taylors and mate - your attire is proper. Between sets I pull from the bombilla. As I rest the yerba recharges me.

After that I jump on the 4$$m4$t3r 9000 (stationary bike) for a short BlondeBomber (Mr. Draper) approved cardio session. During the brief heart pumping sweat inducing spin to nowhere, my thoughts drift to one of my favorite parts o' the day: post workout nutrition.

I love the taste of muscle milk, two flavors on the shelf. I have solid whey and can almost see the bottom of the tub. I have read the articles and the marketing _is_there_a_difference_? about how you need the fast absorbing whey immediately after working out or you will never gain.

Then with the very same browser I click on over to http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...pindex.htm#att and marvel at the bodies the old masters built without machines, gear, whey, creatine, thermex, clen, and all the crap we whine about here all day.

You see my ideal physique is more like Sandow, with some forearm and chest ala Draper, than the current pros. Nothing against Big Ron, I greatly admire the man. I would not kill myself if I was ever lucky enough to look like that, just not my ideal.

I marvel at Saxon and his 448 lb bent press. I wonder what they did for PWO? A hint from another old school ironwrecker can be found on page 84/85 of "Your Body Revival" by my main man Dave Draper. His meal four features 3 raw eggs, 1 ounce half&half, small protein shake, and fruit. He calls the raw egg a "pre-rocky" practice.

Hmmmm... it hasn't hurt the Bomber for sure. I don't need the sugar in the fruit, and to be really old school the protein powder has to go. So after my workout I man up and chug three raw eggs and wash them down with a pint of 1% organic milk. Not bad for real, and definitely gives you a sense of accomplishment. 37 grams of quality protein, 425 calories, enough fat to make some test after those deads - might work.

So the moral of this diatribe is that yerba makes you crazy, it is a good crazy and if you don't want to improve - don't drink yerba mate.

I enjoyed the experience so much, that I may do it more often.

Well I must prepare for dart league night. Anyone who was around the ADO in the '80s knows who D.K. is, he is my singles match tonight. Will need the travel mug, ultimate bombilla, and a buttload of Del Celbado for that assignment.

keep working out, keep sipping the yerba, and if you run out of whey.. STOP CRYING AND MAN UP TO SOME RAW EGGS!! it hasn't killed Mr Draper in many years of application.

edit -- instead of bumping this thread, I will post daily results here
    2 miles walking 120 avg hr
    13:20 minutes cardio avg hr 137
    PTP Deads5x2 db military presses 5x2
    2512 calories for the day including yerba mate (around 150 grams in 2 liters water today....)
    only supp today is animal pak {they have the best advertising, so if you think supps are purely mind games, these are the ones to go with}

I continue to watch the 200+ lb weight loss group with interest.
    Last edited by perldog007; 01-24-2006 at 10:04 PM.
    My yerba log/review ****

Refeeds & yerba

Well I have created a 1600+ calories deficit in 2 days figuring my LBM conservatively @ 182 and activity factor @ 1.5 (I am calling my four short cardio workouts one workout and counting my 5 ptp practice sessions as 2)
    This puts Maintanence around 3218 according to the Kartch Mccardle formula

370 + (21.6 x LBM{kilograms}) x activity factor(1.5 for working out, moderate intensity 3-5 times per week)

So for me 370 + (21.6 x 82.2) x 1.5 = 3218 per day.

Last serious 12 week effort at shedding I made, I stuck to 2 low one high mixed with 3 low one high one maintanence days and had excellent results. According to fat loss e-guru Tom Venuto (his e-book is rated number one) this is more effective than straight caloric reduction because the high calorie days keep your metabolism up and the "refeed" days greatly help to prevent you from losing muscle mass.

Today my goal is around 3600 calories, according to the scale, Omron bf analyzer and the experts this should still have me at a deficit for the three days, will keep my metabolism cooking and will help spare my muscle mass. Time will Tell. It worked last time, but beginner hormones even at age 44 are tricky and miraculous things. Sneaking up on the 6 month mark here that advantage should be fading.

SO I have arisen (late as hel ) this a.m. had liter of water and a great 1210 calorie meal one, and sit here with my mate of Canarias generally enjoying life.
    Any Moron can diet for two or three days. I find that putting the "extra" calories in the first two meals works out better for me.

If I can nail around 800-1000 clean calories in meal two then the other three meals can be pretty normal by bb cutting standards. I may only have time for five today, have to get my dead butt up earllier tomorrow.

Right now I am gloating over the undisputable fact that eating a roughly 40/25/35 protein/carb/fat meal of over 1000 calories after two days of caloric deficit and carb tapering then sipping a mate of Canarias has narcotic like euphoric effects.

Last time I did this I lost faster than I thought I should have and some of my high calorie days were near 5000. Before I found out I was diabetic regular cheat meals too... In August September October I lost 50 lbs at least, and actually seemed to gain a little muscle.

The only thing I can imagine is that my activity factor should have been higher and that only zig zag caloric cycling saved me from a serious metabolic crash.

Maintained in November with the Warrior Diet and had lower back pain that kept me quiet. Started exercising moderately and sporadically in December(2-3 ptp "lite") sessions per week and serious refeeding. Eating pretty much whenever and however the wind motivated me, even had a one day water fast in there cause I felt like it.

My initial thought was to regain 20 lbs before dieting again, I would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for those pesky kids. But since somebody decided to start a weight loss challenge on the 23rd I stopped at 18 lbs (almost perfect with gaining 11lbs muscle and 7 lbs fat according to analyzer...) and head south again.

I am not calling this a weight loss thread though. I could care less about weight. I am concerned with body composition and health. My thing is fat loss. This thread is going to compare results with yerba as primary supp to what I got last time taking the kitchen sink. (everything but gear...)

I decided to do it now because my supplement choice, workout plan, and caloric cycling is different from what I read that most people are doing. So it will be informative for forum members to compare my results to what happens in the twelve week 200+ thread.

Appearance is actually secondary to me also, I would rather be like this and healthy than look like that poor fellow whose liver shut down in flight when he was in competition form. But if I can feel this good and look more like that... and ditch the diabetes... well now we are talking about my goals.

Anyway I had seven weeks of eating with abandon, looking forward to doing it again in May, maybe for only 4-6 weeks this time (progressive resistance) .

Alot of people including my Doctor have asked me, why don't you just stick to dieting and loose all of your weight. I know one person who did a starvation diet and kept it off.

I can't tell you how many people I talk to who say that yo-yo'ing has made them morbidly obese. The thought occured to me, what if you reversed the cycles and went the other way... would the reduction be as permanent as the gain seems to be for those poor souls?

My hypothesis is that if you deliberately break the diet at a reasonable interval and have a period of regain (shorter than the diet) before engaging in reduction through caloric manipulation again one might attain permanent results.

What did I have to lose by trying? When I thought of this I was sedentary, 50% or better bf, and morbidly obese, and losing my vision to diabetes. Even if I never make any more positve gains (which I will) I am better off like this and I really enjoy my new hobby of lifting. Not to mention being able to post like a tard without having to wear those damn reading glasses.

Besides, If I had just gone on Jenny Craig and gotten a portable C.D. player and water bottle for the "Go Walking" program (my doctor would have nutted on himself with joy) I would have never seen CitadelArmyJag's BIG Yerba Thread, and I would still be paying $5.00 for 50 grams o' yerba in teabags...

More later after workout and daily intake caloric count is concrete.
    Last edited by perldog007; 01-25-2006 at 12:38 PM.
    My yerba log/review ****

Awesome PTP today

Had a good "practice" today, took my huge mate I got from the 100% Brazillian Store with 100 grams of taragui despalada and a liter of agua caliente.

Went through the whole liter, took my time and had a great workout. Have to do MM and 1% milk now, out of raw eggs until I hit Sam's tonight
    My yerba log/review ****

Came close to my calorie goal today 3311, good enough. Lots o' protein in there.

130 grams o' yerba in 2 liters water. Slept in late after dart night and only got five meals (including PWO) in. Have to drag it out earlier tomorrow and do a little better. Tomorrow's intake should be in the 2300-2700 range next refeed on Sunday (maybe) .

only supps are 1 animal pak and 6 grams psyllium fiber and the PWO muscle milk.

TOmorrow is another day...
    My yerba log/review ****

taking the BFM (big freestanding mate) with about 100 grams of Canarias on board ATM

looking for a perfect 2700 calorie day today. DANG!! I love that first pull

Also got in a cup o' senseo dark roast this a.m. I still love coffee but drink a lot less of it, and rarely later in the day anymore.

Today and Monday are critical days in the PTP program need a good "practice" today.

Even though I feel pretty jacked, checked my resting Heart rate sitting here, 57 B.P.M. 49 first thing in the a.m. is the lowest I have seen of late.

The stimulating effects of Yerba Mate are definitely a mystery. I would definitely be more stimulated if I did my old trick of 25 mg ephedrine, 2.5 mg yohimbine, and a cup or two of strong coffee. I would also be a jittery, a little uneasy on the stomach and racing heartrate.
    My yerba log/review ****

Good ptp workout today deads and military db presses 2x5 each

2900 calories - 200 over 2700 oh well...

2 mile walk

150 grams o' yerba mate in 2 liters water.

animal pak and psylllium for sups and no others.
    My yerba log/review ****

35 degrees and sunny

Here in the Northeastern Yerbasphere as the Algarrobo mate of Triunfo Organic is taking on agua caliente and awaiting the first pull o' the day.

Wonderfull! today is a critical day in the PTP wave cycle. The weight of the bar is only a problem holding on to it. I have never had strong grip and research seems to suggest that all those wrist curls were a wast of time. Deadlifts are the thing according to more than one authority.

How convenient that my PTP program is built around deadlifts. Oddly enough, I feel like taking ECY - but think I will stick to the good ole yerba for today's evolution. Calories don't really matter today, as long as they come in under 3000.

An interesting post occured over on the big yerba thread yesterday. A new forum member was doing his research on Yerba mate and came across this tidbit on WebMd:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/46/2731_1669.htm

Originally Posted by WebMd
    Yerba Mate. Also known as Paraguay tea, yerba mate is a strong brain stimulant (the doses typically used mimic that of 100 to 200 mg of caffeine). The principle side effects reported are excessive stimulation and high blood pressure. It has not been proven to promote weight loss. Some case reports of poisoning (leading to hospitalization) with this agent have been reported and excessive use may be linked to cancer of the eso****us.
    Hmmmmm Suspishzous..... WebMd?? The page was generally a slam on herba over the counter weight loss formulas. Now I made it clear on post #2 of this thread that yerba mate would not lift the weights for you. I even set my sport bottle and ultimate bombilla down near my weights just to make sure. I took a deep breath and tried again, nada.

A like minded experiment involving my stainless travel mug, Ultimate bombilla and a copious amount of yerba mate in the cupholder of my stationary bike yeilded remarkably similiar results. Yerba mate won't do your cardio for you either.

I am drinking yerba for it's energizing effects, it's wealth of nutrients, it's economy, and it's appetite suppressing effects. But if it's bad for you...

The article did link to a page of "good weight loss tips" so I decided to check that out... http://www.webmd.com/content/article/46/2731_1664

The usual blah blah, one sentence about increasing "physical activity" nothing about resistance training, and ad links to fad diet books.

Back to the damning appraisal of yerba mate... I looked up the doctor that posted these claims without citing any scientific research to back it up..

Originally Posted by WebMd
    After residency she joined the U.S. Air Force and worked in Layton, Utah for three years. During her active duty employment she focused on treating patients....
    OK boys and girls, right here I call WTF??? A military doctor? Unless they have gotten a whole lot better since I was in the military ( a possiblity given the amount of time elapsed, but doubtfull due to the true nature of beaurocracies) You better start drinking your yerba mate yesterday!!

The only study I could find claiming a yerba mate and cancer link was the Israeli study and they noted that their control group also used alchohol and tobacco. The poisining and the hypertension, well I posted my resting heartrate during a pleasant Canarias "rush" ... I would really like to see the studies that bear this out.

If anyone knows where they are please post them up. I think that this whole thing is part of the "mainstream" medical community's (pharmaceutical companies) effort to smear cheap holistic alternatives to their expensive dangerous drugs.

This log entry is also intended as an invitation for Tracy C. Shuman, MD to post up her facts to support these alarmist conclusions.

Her email is not posted, but I did use the feedback form and requested links to studies that support those conclusions. We shall see.

Based only on empirical data (that means bull$#!*) this poster is taking the position and projecting the following hypothesis "More persons have expired due to medical misadventure at the hands of Air Force Doctors than have ever been killed by drinking yerba mate".

I invite rebuttal.

This could be a good cyberscrap, the yerba pimp v.s. the pharma ho....

Sounds to good to be true. Oh well gotta eat, l8r
    My yerba log/review ****

KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KING_OF_SQUAT has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lol. you are the cyber pimp.

good stuff doggy dog. what was your weight at the beginning of this log? now?

waistline then, and now?

w00t. PTP deads are good mane. i still suggest some DB rowes.

like 1-2 sets. thats it. PLEASE???

paul.
    Deos fortioribus adesse.

Welders lift more metal.

well, started counting calories on monday was 305, scaled 299 today so initial water has gone. waist was 48 at beginning of log, still same. LBM has gone from 182 to 185 according to daily reading on OMROM hb305 analyzer. I am going to post diet and workout logs for this week on Monday. The light weights are a little embarrasing to post in a forum of weightlifters, but I couldn't find a "fat over 40 and medically messed up" forum to post on

Started taking an interest in my health in July '05 weighed around 337 and estimated (by doctors and on line calculators) at 43-48% bodyfat. Have added an inch to arms so the bf analyzer numbers and the 54-48 waist reduction tend to support the percieved improvement in body comp. ( waist may have been a little larger, I was struggling to get into 54 waist pants)

12 week goal is to scale around 270 and have waist of 46 or less, and to complete that 12 week ptp layout. According to the analyzer I have 185 lbs lean mass, that is enough for now. Long term goal is 220 12%.

PTP is about training the muscle you have to lift more, something I definitely need as people with less total mass than I have LBM can totally own me in several lifts. Even some inquisitive teenagers

I hear you on the assistance exercises young brother, but this is a marathon not a sprint I will give Pavel's program a good honest try. Doing a half @$$ version thereof got me walking upright and working out after my lower back problems so I am intrigued. And I feel better, and my belt did not have to be let out when I regained the 18 lbs. So ptp it is. Besides I couldn't find a good PTP log on here, bunch o' folks asking about it though.

Hang in there, I will be cyring to you for help with my squat program after I run this one.
    My yerba log/review ****

first week of 12 week ptp completed

But that's just the good news. I had to use straps after the second time I 'red lighted" a ridiculously light dead lift attempt.

There is good news, I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance and bodybuilding.com threw in some free lifting straps with an order a while back. Once I had the straps, the weight went up easy.

I asked a much younger and much more knowledgable powerlifter for advice and he re-inforced what I was thinking. I need to get some core strength, use the straps and start a grip training program. Mrs. Perldog is out getting some little sissy grippers @ Wal-Mart, and Wednesday I will be putting in order with ironmind.

The alternative was to check my ego and scale my program way back. Since the weight went up with relative ease once I strapped in, this does not make much sense to me. A weak core is what caused my last setback, would like to not repeat a month of lower back pain.

around 100 grams o' yerba today, and a little light with just under 2500 calories, and a short Draper approved cardio spin on the bike.

I am not worried about going more than 20% below maintanence here and there, because I am cycling with regular refeeds. Last time I had some retarded low days and it didn't hurt me. Wouldn't recommend it for too long, but I do personally know one exception to that generally accepted rule.

I will post diet and workout logs with weigh ins and Omron HB-306 readings on Sunday nights. I do feel better about completing my layout now that I have tried the straps, but my ego is suffering a little, better have another mate of Triunfo to ease the pain...

edit - added cals wrong, came in @ 2668 just about perfect... according to my twisted plan...
    Last edited by perldog007; 01-27-2006 at 06:15 PM.
    My yerba log/review ****

Not a bad day, The Draper plan and some others call for a day off from measuring and logging every gram of nourishment, even some forbidden foods. Couldn't go that far, did get more than normal complex carbs and around 3500 calories in 3 meals.

No weights, no cardio, only grip training Thanks to my young powerlifting beast KOS for some great techniques. If anyone else suffers from grip insufficiency (meaning you have not closed the iron mind #4, so all of you) King_of_Squat shared one of his animalistic training secrets with me.

Take a bucket of water and mark the water level. Put a towel in the bucket and let it soak up as much water as it will. Then wring it out and try to get all the water back in the bucket. (If you are doing this while on PTP do it after your fifth day...) LIke I said, it's a closely guarded secret. This young man can deadlift 370 without straps and he just turned 16. His static holds surpass the 500 lb mark. So use it yourself but don't tell anyone

As I was looking for information of grip strength training, I came across a lot of hard guys that did not look like anything to write home about with pics and videos of incredible feats of strength. Really cool world to look into. I am learning so much about everything I thought I knew.

I actually thought that isolation exercises would be good tune up for compounds... oh well, live and learn. Turns out that hand strength and core strength support everything else, not the other way around.

Mild yerba intake, around 110 grams Canarias Sin Palo and Taragui Despalada.

Walked about 3.5 leisurely miles today, good day to soak up fresh air and sunshine.
    My yerba log/review ****

hey, how did that work for you? seems like you like it

-paul
    Deos fortioribus adesse.

Welders lift more metal.

Originally Posted by KING_OF_SQUAT
    hey, how did that work for you? seems like you like it

-paul
    Good stuff old man, and no credit card required
    My yerba log/review ****

Week 1 of PTP/yerba fat loss log

Monday-
    Meal one -1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 2 oz ham - 451 calories

Meal two - 2 cups puffed wheat cereal, one cup 2% milk - 250 calories & sufficiently carbed up (I hope)

Meal three - 7.5 ounces tuna, 3 tbsp wal-mart Salad Dressing (miracle whip/generic) 360 calories

pre-workout snack - 2 oz lite string cheese 140 calories

Workout - PTP

Deadlifts 205x5, 195x5

Dumbbell Military Presses 23x5x3 23x3

PWO shake - 12 oz 1% milk, 2 scoops Muscle Milk 505 calories.

Meal four - 5.5 ozBNLS SKNLS chix breast, 5 oz steamed asparagus, 2 cups broccoli cauliflower. 253 calories

cardio - 13:16 level 8 110 calorie goal avg H.R. 127 schwinn 112

meal five - 4.75 oz lean eye of round steak, 1/2 cup cottage cheese 375 calories.

2334 total for the day trying to get 2800 or better tomorrow

one mile walk after last meal
    Tuesday -
    p.i.p.e. weigh in 302 @ 38.5% bf

meal one - 8 oz lean eye of round steak, 1/2 cup oats 578 calories

meal two - 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup oatmeal and 1 scoop vanilla solid whey - 392 calories.

leisurely 2 mile walk - average heartrate about 120 for 40 minutes or so.

meal three - 12 brussel sprouts, 4 oz lean eye of round steak, 1/2 cup cottage cheese 424 calories.

PTP workout -

deads 215x5, 205x5
    presses 28x5x2

cardio - 13:20 avg HR 137 stationary bike

pwo meal - 3 raw eggs, 16 oz 1% organic milk. 425 calories.

meal five - 5 oz lean eye of round steak, 85 grams baby spinach and 2 tbsp Kens lite olive oil vinagrette dressing - 348 calories

meal six - 7.5 oz tuna pouch, 3 tbsp miracle whip free, 1 stalk celery (call it tuna salad) 255 calories

Yerba mate - around 150 grams maybe 90 calories...
    Wednesday -

p.i.p.e. weigh in 300 @ 39% bf

Refeed day, goal is 3600 calories/clean

Meal one - 7 oz lean eye of round steak, 1/2 cup oats, 2 tbsp natural peanut butter, 2 eggs, 4 oz ham, 2 ounces lite string cheese, 3 whole wheat tortillas - 1210 calories

meal two - 7 oz sweet potato, 1 cup cottage cheese, 4 oz lean eye of round steak, 14 brussel sprouts - 746 calories

ptp workout -

deads 225x5, 215x5
    db mil presses, 33x5x2

PWO shake/Meal three 16 oz 1% milk, 2 scoops MM 545 calories.

meal four 8.5 oz boneless skinless chix breast, 6 brussel sprouts, 1 cup baby lima beans - 510 calories 3011 s/t

meal five - cup o' cottage cheese 240 cals

with yerba, 3341 for the day, close enough
    Thursday -

p.i.p.e. weigh in 301 38.5% bf @ 0627

looking for 2700 cals today - between 2300-2800 is good

meal one- 3 eggs, 2oz lite string cheese, 3 whole wheat tortillas, 3 oz ham, tabasco713 calories

meal two - whole wheat english, 1 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup cottage cheese - 380 calories

ptp workout

deads 234x5, 225x5
    presses 38x5x2

pwo 3eggs, 1 cup milk, 1 oz lite string cheese - 395 calories.

meal four - 8 oz chix breast, 83 grams baby limas - 360 calories

mela five - 7.5 oz tuna pouch, 3 tbsp mayo, 2 stalks celery 510 calories.

meal six - 5 oz chix breast, 250 grams brussels sprouts - 415 calories

Friday -

p.i.p.e. weigh in 300 & 38.2% bf

Meal one - 4 eggs, 2 oz LOL chipotle jack cheese, 4 oz ham, 1/2 cup oatmeal - 814 calories

Meal two - 7.5 oz tuna pounc, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 tbsp smart balance - 445

ptp deads 245x5, 235x5
    presses - 43x5x2

meal three - PWO three raw eggs, 1 pt 1% milk, - 425 calories

Meal four - 3 oz Tiliapia, 85 grams sweet peas, 5 oz sweet potato (raw wt) , 1 tbsp smart balance, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, 1 slice whole wheat bread. 534

Meal five chix breast & cottage cheese 450 cals

50 deadlifts, 50 db military presses, 12650 lbs lifted in week 1

Weekends, revert to civillian lifestyle, no fried food, no fast food, limit refined anyting...

Two meals today, around 3800 cals, 4 miles walking, no weight training.

leg is feeling good, I am feeling good, am curious to see how my unorthodox program will stack up to younger guys on strict 12 week contest log...

Back to measuring and weighing tomorrow, oh yeah and no yerba mate today and no withdrawl symptoms either - does not appear addictive.
    Last edited by perldog007; 01-29-2006 at 06:47 PM. Reason: insert title
    My yerba log/review ****

Great day for sipping yerba here, having my first mate since Saturday. Based on Yesterday no addictive effects noticed.

Back to measuring every gram of food today, it was nice being a civillian for the weekend. Still I found it hard not to mentally measure everything. Having cooked professionally in for some houses with fairly strict portion control, I have a good eye.

I found that I was still measuring oatmeal. I had more oatmeal and whole wheat toast than normal in the a.m., and had a sizeable dinner in the p.m. My only exercise was grip work on saturday, and walking on both days.

Dave Draper wrote about how in the golden years of bodybuilding they would eat strict and clean during the week, and take to the buffets that were available on the weekend. I am a lot tubbier than they were, so some modification seems in order.

I am willling to go for more complex carbs for breakfast, and dinner with the civillians as long as they have some veggies. A leisurely walk after a meal like that seems to help with my blood glucose levels.

Having had two meals and a nice 1.8 mile walk this fat man must make like the mighty hunter and bag some tuna. Mo l8r.
    My yerba log/review ****

coffmanj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey perl,

I used your link for yerbamatecafe and purchased 1 kg of Canarias, 1 kg of Rosamonte, and the office mate + ultimate bombilla. Figured I'd help you out with a little commission since you showed me a much cheaper supplier.

My loose Guayaki, gourd, bombilla should arrive soon. Probably get the YMC later this week. Will post reviews of all 3 soon.

thanks

Originally Posted by coffmanj
    Hey perl,

I used your link for yerbamatecafe and purchased 1 kg of Canarias, 1 kg of Rosamonte, and the office mate + ultimate bombilla. Figured I'd help you out with a little commission since you showed me a much cheaper supplier.

My loose Guayaki, gourd, bombilla should arrive soon. Probably get the YMC later this week. Will post reviews of all 3 soon.

thanks

Muchos gracias! I thought I found cheap local yerba (in Southern Delaware of all places) but it was very old and stale very disapointing since it was only 2.00 per kilo..... they did give me a large chimarro mate and stand for an ultimate bombilla though so it was not all bad.

I think you will like the gourd better, but the ultimate bombilla makes it easier to get your yerba on amongst the unimformed public. really love the canarias, happens to be in my mate right now. Enjoy! if you have never had y.m. it may take a little getting used to but worth the effort for the benefits.
    My yerba log/review ****

Orion35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orion35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I started drinking Yerba Mate about 2 months ago after reading all of the positive feedback in CitadelArmyJAG's thread.

I decided to buy the Taragui Despalada (no stems). And the http://www.yerbamatecafe.biz/product_p/t501.htm "Mate Travel Tumbler 16 oz." (comes with Ultimate Bombilla). I like the tumbler for the acrylic green container and the recessed lid (which is not shown). The recessed lid has a flap on it to allow you to sip from it or place a bombilla through it to drink from. The recessed lid also catches any excess liquid when the tumbler is moved around (exception of course if you tip it over), and I find this handy because I like to fill it all the way up and not have to worry about extra spilling over.

My initial reaction to the taste was that it was natural tasting... no significant bitterness to it. I'm surprised that some people thought it was unpleasant. I'm not a tea or coffee drinker either, always stuck to distilled water.

After 2 weeks of drinking it, not once did I feel like going to sleep at any time. I don't understand how people can say they can sleep, when they feel energized LOL. I will concede that it is POSSIBLE, but whether you want to is another story. I noticed that drinking past 10pm was bad, as I would end up staying up late at night because I was not sleepy at all. It would be analogous to trying to take a nap during the time you normally workout during the day...I guess it could be possible but you would have no desire to do that.

I found the full effect to kick in after 30 minutes. So drinking it just before you lift doesn't really help me at all. I don't even use it for lifting because I have no problem with energy for workouts. My problem is pushing my body to stay active throughout the day to discourage a slower metabolic rate from being sedentary- and I think Yerba Mate helps a lot in this regard.

About a month ago I switched to a ketogenic diet. I was concerned the 6g of carbs listed on my Taragui would be an issue, so I have not been drinking Yerba Mate.

So I have a quick question- just how much is "50g" weight (the serving listed in nutritional information on Taragui Despalada) in fluid ounces ? And is there really carbs in it or not? Someone said there is research indicating no carbs?
    Last edited by Orion35; 01-30-2006 at 01:41 PM.

Here is a link to a picture of what 50 grams of yerba looks like on a portion scale like the ones the sell @ bodybuilding.com

http://www.doublebad.net/images/yerbamate/yerba3.JPG

I have some brands of yerba that list 0 carbs and some that say they have 12 carbs per serving.... the number varies.

I am trying the Dave Draper old school moderate complex carbs during the week and a little carbing up on the weekends and not strictly carb cycling (yet) so I continue to enjoy my yerba, but I don't have 200 grams on a day when I want to be very low carb.

When I stop getting results from calorie cycling then I will get into macro-nutrient cycling to the gram like I do now with calories.

Some people do report that yerba mate keeps them up, so you are right respecting your individuality. So far I don't think there are any miracles lurking in yerba, just a good cheap appetite suppressant and mild stimulant that is safe to use and contains vitamins, minerals, amino acids, fatty acids, and polyphenols with anitoxidants.

Green tea is great too, and I have not thrown out my lipo 6 , ephedrine, yohimbine ( I really like stimulants) but these have always been occasional "pep me up" treats (the pills not the green tea, I think green tea is awesome and often put in my mate with the yerba) Now and then I really enjoy a cup of strong dark roasted coffee, and once in a blue moon an acidic light roast.
    My yerba log/review ****

Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000) Fuelish is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by perldog007
    Here is a link to a picture of what 50 grams of yerba looks like on a portion scale like the ones the sell @ bodybuilding.com

http://www.doublebad.net/images/yerbamate/yerba3.JPG

Looks about right Just got an order in from ymcafe - picked up the bistro cup/ulti bombilla for work, a # of elderberry salante (ym, ginger, ginseng, stevia, elderberries, and,ummm, whatever I've forgotten at the moment ), a kilo of Rosamonte, 4 oz of Siberian ginseng, and the "freebie" sample of the honey etc etc ym. Tomorrow is going to be a GREAT day at work

Originally Posted by Fuelish
    Looks about right Just got an order in from ymcafe - picked up the bistro cup/ulti bombilla for work, a # of elderberry salante (ym, ginger, ginseng, stevia, elderberries, and,ummm, whatever I've forgotten at the moment ), a kilo of Rosamonte, 4 oz of Siberian ginseng, and the "freebie" sample of the honey etc etc ym. Tomorrow is going to be a GREAT day at work
    Not if you're a waiter who likes to run his yap at the chef

how was the price value ration on that gensing.... thinking about gettin some
    Last edited by perldog007; 01-30-2006 at 03:34 PM.
    My yerba log/review ****

I <3 PERLDOG007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Deos fortioribus adesse.

Welders lift more metal.

Today is in the books...

meal one - 3 eggs, 2 oz cheese, 3 oz ham, 2 slices whole wheat, 1 tbsp smart balance - 783 calories

meal two - 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 scoop solid whey - 272 calories

1.8 mile walk

meal three - 8 oz skinless boneless chicken breast, 2 cups baby spinach leaf raw with 2 tbsp Kens lite olive oil vinagrette, 1 sice whole wheat bread, 1 tbsp smart balance - 498 calories.

Deadlifts - 225x5, 215x5
    db military presses 28x5x2

total lifted - 2480

pwo nutrition - 3 raw eggs - 225 calories

meal five - 4 oz talapia, 1.5 cups frozen veggies (california medley) 1 slice whole wheat bread, 1 tbsp smart balance- 310 calories

60 grams of yerba in 2 liters of water - 2188 calories for the day

good PTP practice barehanded, fear that I will use straps from here on out, but I am working on my grip. 100 lb grippers are on the way from bodybuilding.com after they get here I will decide which ones I will get to go with them.
    My yerba log/review ****

Angry heavy bummer

Even though I fived 245 for deads on friday I was only able to get one good rep @ 235 today... huge bummer, problem was holding on to it, even w/straps.... damn my grip is weak and/or I don't know how to use straps. Might have to order hooks... Dart night tonight, may head down beach early and check leisure fitness. Occasionally they have some real wieghtlifting stuff in there.

It's all good, we are all here to fix things. I will take two days off and do a lite workout on thursday, redo my layout and continue. the nice thing about ptp is that Pavel tells you to take extra days off if you need them. If I cant triple a weight I fived last thursday and friday, I need time off.

My cycle was very ambitious was trying to eclipse my pr in a short time. May have to rethink that. I also may not be ready for the volume of ptp 5 days per week. maybe 3 is better. Time will tell and this is why we keep logs.

My heavy gripper from bb.com has shipped should be here anyday. We have no stones around here but I found a bag of quick dry cement that got wet and hardened before somebody dumped it on my woodlot. Close enough.

I am feeling 110 % better since I read Pavel in December and will continue to do PTP . I told a freind that I felt like I should concentrate on this until I could five three wheels. Looks like it won't happen next week

In order to keep to my t.u.t.d.p. (totally unorthodox training and diet plan) I have decided to order some kettlebells tomorrow. I have been putting it off, but in light of my dainty grip strength predicament maybe need to do some basic swings and stuff. Have been researching them for about 6 months now, and doing kb exercises with dbs' definitely an interest.

might add swings on new days off from ptp ....
    My yerba log/review ****

Orion35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orion35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That's funny you should say you attempted 235 lbs. on DL, because that's what I'm doing now lol. I'm up to 3 sets but I don't think that's pathetic. It seems like a reasonable amount of weight to me. I can't imagine having to hold onto a barbell weighing 300+ lbs. for 3 sets.

When I first started doing deadlifts I couldn't even hold onto the bar for more than 2 sets @ 6-7 reps. I think I started out with 205 lbs.

So I ordered some straps w/dowels to compensate. Apparently it has helped me gain a little grip strength too because I can do 235 lbs. for 3 sets without straps. My forearms at the end though lock up bad (complete fatigue).

BTW, could you do me a favor and pour the 50g of Yerba Mate into a measuring cup and tell me what it amounts to? I have no weight scale nor a use for one (other than to weigh *just* my yerba). I'd like to start drinking it again, but not until I know how much to measure so I don't exceed my total carbs per day.

Also forgot to mention that I didn't find it to be much of an appetite suppressant. I ended up getting hungry more often, and typically I rarely if ever get hungry other than the times I normally eat. I think because most of the time my metabolism is slow, and this increased it. And the effects of an increased metabolism effecting hunger were greater than the appetite suppressant effect of yerba.

I should probably explain how it acts as an apetite "suppressant". According to clinical results, yerba mate "delays gastric emptying" by an additional 15-20 minutes. In a sense it works similarly like fiber, making it feel like you are full for a longer period. So it only delays appetite- not suppresses it !

Of course like most clinical studies it's not a generalization that applies to everyone but it's probably applicable to some people. You may find it delays gastric emptying for a shorter time or longer...everyone's body is different.

I'm a good example.

Your Order
    Item Name SubTotal
    1 Kettlebell 35 lb 49.95

Subtotal: 49.95
    Shipping: 18.17
    Tax: 0.00
    Total: 68.12

This is from Muscle Driver - maybe Ryan will use his unsurpassed buying power and distribution machine to get us some kettlebells even more reasonable. I don't understand why they cost so much more than plates?

Dragondoor and MaxKettlebells really try to "grease your groove" .

If anybody can find cheaper kettlebells than this please post up here. Since they are touted as a fat burning aid it ain't so far o/t in fat loss, right?

Thanks for the words on deads Orion, I just poured 50 grams of del cebador (finely ground with stems) into a measuring cup... just a little more than a half cup measure holds, if you go with a half cup measure you can't go wrong. You should be just a little under with taragui traditional.

I am getting a kettlebell because I found out that I really like freewieghts once I started checking my ego and treating workout time as "practice" of a skill. I have tried some swinging movements and other kb moves with a regular bell, and think it is a fun way to spend a practice.

since last Friday I got 245 1 rep without straps I am treating that as my absolute 1 rep max. I willl get booed by the p.l. crowd for this but I am scaling back my overly ambitious 12 week layout goal. If I can't pick it up barehanded I don't want to pick it up. (the party is always right comrade no straps, no pink gloves, no belts, no sissy mirrors, barefoot, deadlift slippers or chuck taylors please)

PtP is a blast, and makes you feel good. I am just going to treat last week as a peaking effort, take a couple of days off and come back at it. It will take me longer for the poundages to go up, but I think my body sent me a message yesterday - "Back off dumbass, you are you and don't need to compare stats to anybody else" turns out I had the straps bassackwards, but this is a moot point.

I am not in a competition, if I was I would lose, I am winning every time I progress, PTP it is. May add some kb swings once my bell gets here, we shall see. I am reading that some people train PTP some days, kb on other days, but training is seldom done to exhuastion or "on the nerve".

BTW Orion35, the mate that comes with the Taragui starter set that Rick offers is near perfect for 50 gram servings.... a tight@ss like me would just dump a half cup measure into a mug though.

Whatever problems I had yesterday, it weren't low test methinks. My dart team played a much stronger team last night, we got beat, but I personally put 6 of our nine points on the board.

I won my singles match with bones twice. (dart talk) the first game went to nerves and I got it first (prolly because I practice the wheel) then in the third leg a sloppy attempt at double top (x5, 15) left me with fifteen. I decided to be an @ss but missed the thirteen and hit a 6, so I threw a 7 then bones.

My captain had a stroke, but I told her "hell, I had three darts"... , won a leg in the doubles with a 48, 28 out. Took a game dart in the gallon too, x7, one dart.

Moral of this story, yerba helps you beat up on stronger dart players. I had never beaten my opponent that I played last night in the four years that I have been with this league. OK, maybe it wasn't the yerba but it didn't hurt.

got in almost maintanence with 3100 cals yesterday. 1.8 mile walk and I lousy @ss dead @ 235.... definitely a day off today, maybe a walk later.
    My yerba log/review ****

same new plan

bb.com 100 lb heavy grippers got here today, perfect for me. I can get ten reps in good "form" with other hand and at least 3 inverted closes with each hand. Doing that "Grease the Groove" style right now, alternating that with 3 regular closes per hand. Am going ahead with getting 150's right now.

I had originally said I was going to get iron mind, but bb.com had some nice looking ones for less. BB.com only had them down to 100 lbs. I got that one and to my great surprise it is a good starting point for me. I can probably get one close out of the 150 and it would nice to have 200s' for negatives and max attempts. bb.com is cheaper than the manufacturer's site. I am pleased with the heavy grip 100 for now. Will stick to this brand until know better.

Re-read power to the people this morning. So my great plan to undo five years of convalescence and many more of sloth in 12 weeks has been doomed.

Based on my five rep set without wraps ... I have made a new layout for the twelve weeks of this PTP portion of the log. It will of course be adjusted if needed. If I think I can take any of the peaks higher, the cycle resets every 11 workouts after the next reset. The peak could be stretched 20-30 more pounds in five workouts if needed.

Twelve week goal is reach clean five of 275 and go for 285x3. Based on what I re-read that seems like a reasonable progression. It would be fine with me to pull a lot more, but first we crawl.

My grip strength might increase more if I do not use the straps. Pavel says so anyway so I used the formulas published in PTP to the best of the stuff that I have. Don't have 2.5 lb oly plates so I am dong two practices at a weight before moving up 10 lbs, generally. First wave is a little quick maybe but I already singled the weight I want to five.

So far just watching diet and yerba mate and ptp. I am very curious to see how it compares to other programs. I am expectiing that a more moderate regimen will be more sustainable for the masses(and hopefully me) yet less effective initially as other methodologies.
    My yerba log/review ****