neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) neo 17 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Shoulders ache when bench pressing.

My chest and triceps are all fine with the weight but my shoulders just can't handle the load. It's keeping me from progressing.

My shoulders hurt and I can only lower the weight slowly, then on the way up they're fine but 3-4 reps later all my strength is gone. Typically this gets worse as the workout continues.

How can I take stress of them? Any grips or techniques? I used a medium grip. I always lower the bar to my chest completely and then push back up, unless my shoulders give out and I have to roll the bar off of me again.....They're holding me back so much, I've only been gaining strength slowly for 3 weeks now, when at the beginning it was so much easier.. Advice? or is this normal?

user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10) user56534 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i dont think its normal but it did happen to me make sure you warm up and stretch your shouldrs before you bench. also if you cant go down all the way without hurting your shoulders and or rotator cuffs then dont do it. warm up and stretch out most importantly first though. atleast thats what worked for me. also maybe your shoulder muscles or shoulder accessories are underdeveloped? just tryin to help
    Last edited by Andy Vincent; 12-24-2005 at 01:18 PM.

Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000) Brink007 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    grap a 2.5 pound plate and do arm circles with each arm before benching. it works great for me
    max bench 325X1 315 Video ( http://www.youtube.com/user/jbrink2007?feature=chclk#p/u/0/kKFFPplNQ4c )
    max squat 380X1
    max deadlift 465X1
    DL 420 vid from a long time ago ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZkRDZPBm4w )

ChiseledLaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to have the same problem, but I started training my rotator cuffs very lightly and it has completely gone away (after about two weeks). I do exercise #2 in the link I provided in between sets with a very light weight. I also do something similar with a cable machine. I have also heard that the pain can be due to a muscle imbalance and working the back can help.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian1.htm

jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by neo 17
    My chest and triceps are all fine with the weight but my shoulders just can't handle the load. It's keeping me from progressing.

My shoulders hurt and I can only lower the weight slowly, then on the way up they're fine but 3-4 reps later all my strength is gone. Typically this gets worse as the workout continues.

How can I take stress of them? Any grips or techniques? I used a medium grip. I always lower the bar to my chest completely and then push back up, unless my shoulders give out and I have to roll the bar off of me again.....They're holding me back so much, I've only been gaining strength slowly for 3 weeks now, when at the beginning it was so much easier.. Advice? or is this normal?

could you post up a vid or something, if you are flaring your elbows out all the way to the sides this could be the cause. (ie: if your elbows make a 90 degree angle with your body then they are flared way out, you need to keep it more like 45 degree and touch down at the lower part of your chest) also, keep your shoulderblades pinched behind your back when you bench.