DeltaRage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeltaRage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeltaRage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeltaRage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeltaRage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Why Does Carb Cycling Work?

Can some tell me why carb cycling works, as opposed to spreading one's carb intake out between the low/moderate/high days?

Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    because you're constantly shocking your body,it's also great to burn muscle,that's why i don't use it...

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There are a lot of articles on the main page and on t-nation.com .. read up if you want.. they detail it pretty damn well

or serach it on google there are tons of articles that explain it well

Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Robbyrh10 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SickBoy_Cage View Post
    because you're constantly shocking your body,it's also great to burn muscle,that's why i don't use it...
    What? "Its great to BURN muscle"

Im lost on that one.

Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Robbyrh10 View Post
    What? "Its great to BURN muscle"

Im lost on that one.
    Different diets,give different results for different people,i need my carbs stable to preserve muscle...I do whatever agree that's an awesome diet for recomps...

lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50) lednasmr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    well everyone responds differently to carb cycling diets.

i personally respond very well to them, but when i increase my carbs i blow the fu*k up really quick.

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    I sort of blew up on the 6 weeks I cycled (Nov-Dec)...I gained a lot of strength and size, but a little fat too. I went back on 40/40/20 and I'm looking much better. But I still have the muscle and strength, and I'm loving it It's definitely great to break a plateau, but like any WOE it does affect people differently. I wanted to cut, but I recomped instead.

DeltaRage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeltaRage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeltaRage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeltaRage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DeltaRage has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LayzieBone085 View Post
    There are a lot of articles on the main page and on t-nation.com .. read up if you want.. they detail it pretty damn well

or serach it on google there are tons of articles that explain it well
    I've read everything there is on T-Nation, and none of it really explains why it works. I've searched google as well, but none of their explanations go into any depth.

gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000) gfundaro is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DeltaRage View Post
    I've read everything there is on T-Nation, and none of it really explains why it works. I've searched google as well, but none of their explanations go into any depth.
    Well...you enter periods of a caloric surplus as well as deficit, you manipulate insulin levels, eat a lot of protein. Just read up on leptin, carbs, insulin, and amino acids and it takes about 30 seconds to realize why it works.

dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SickBoy_Cage View Post
    Different diets,give different results for different people,i need my carbs stable to preserve muscle...I do whatever agree that's an awesome diet for recomps...

So long as your protein is high enough, that shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by gfundaro View Post
    I sort of blew up on the 6 weeks I cycled (Nov-Dec)...I gained a lot of strength and size, but a little fat too. I went back on 40/40/20 and I'm looking much better. But I still have the muscle and strength, and I'm loving it It's definitely great to break a plateau, but like any WOE it does affect people differently. I wanted to cut, but I recomped instead.
    Then your overall calories were too high. If your cals are sufficiently under maintenance, you will lose weight.
    NPC Bodybuilder, Mother and Hater Extraordinaire

Sponsored by Prep & Rep Kitchen

Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000) Jules Verne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Very shots 'answer' as I see it is it helps prevent your body from becoming really efficient at using one particular energy source for fuel.

Similar to mixing up cardio types and/or lifting protocol (reps/set/workout length etc..).

Exactly how this 'works' on a fundamental biological level, I have no idea.

You're doing it wrong. BladeRun's Avatar
    BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BladeRun is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've had very good results from carb cycling when I cut. Last cut I cycled 100g carbs/day for 3 days, 300 g carbs for 1 day, repeat.

I dropped about 30 lbs & maintained muscle and stregth about as well as you can when cutting.

Edit: Profile photos were taken during last cut.
    "You are a factory of sadness."

So Fly My Ash is Lined Up rainieravesouth's Avatar
    rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BladeRun View Post
    I've had very good results from carb cycling when I cut. Last cut I cycled 100g carbs/day for 3 days, 300 g carbs for 1 day, repeat.

I dropped about 30 lbs & maintained muscle and stregth about as well as you can when cutting.

Edit: Profile photos were taken during last cut.
    does 1g/ bw on lifting days, and then .75g/bw on non lifting days consitute as carb cycling? or is that something totally different?

Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50) Todd_A will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rainieravesouth View Post
    does 1g/ bw on lifting days, and then .75g/bw on non lifting days consitute as carb cycling? or is that something totally different?
    it would to an extent, but it isnt' as radical as most of the examples i've seen out there. Plus that would only be about 1800 calories on lifting days if you ate only 1g/bw of protein adn assuming abotu 40 g of fat assuming a 180 pound person. That just seems low to me.

it tends to look something more like 1.6 g/BW on high carb days and .6 g/BW on low carb days. But the cycling does not seem to be connected to your lifting schedule. You could design it that way, but you would have a lot of HIGH carb days. However, that would be about 2400 calories on HIGH carb days for about a 180 pound person, and 1750 on LOW carb days. It would average about 2140/day over the 5 days of a work week, and that should be low enough to promote weight loss, depending on what you do on the weekends.

amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) amgdoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    carb up 200g+ every 3 days or 1 wk (tend to do it on the days of WO). On non-carb days, I do practically <50g, almost less than 10g sometimes! But it is important to have fat replace the lost carbs on non-carb days.
    mmmmm saturated fat....and cholesterol.
    My favorite and daily foods are chocolate and yolks!
    last lipid profile 1/2008:
    TG- 45 mg/dL
    HDL- 88 mg/dL
    LDL (calc)- 51 mg/dL
    Cholesterol- 148 mg/dL

We see only what we look for, we recognize only what we know

rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rainieravesouth has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Todd_A View Post
    it would to an extent, but it isnt' as radical as most of the examples i've seen out there. Plus that would only be about 1800 calories on lifting days if you ate only 1g/bw of protein adn assuming abotu 40 g of fat assuming a 180 pound person. That just seems low to me.

it tends to look something more like 1.6 g/BW on high carb days and .6 g/BW on low carb days. But the cycling does not seem to be connected to your lifting schedule. You could design it that way, but you would have a lot of HIGH carb days. However, that would be about 2400 calories on HIGH carb days for about a 180 pound person, and 1750 on LOW carb days. It would average about 2140/day over the 5 days of a work week, and that should be low enough to promote weight loss, depending on what you do on the weekends.
    thanks for the thorough response!

what i was thinking about trying was doing what i mentioned. on workout days. I was actually trying to get in 1.25g/lb of protein, 1g/lb carbs and then the rest be fat, around 50-60g.

on non, it would be the same amount of protein, .75 carbs, and the rest fat
    would be around 70?

haha im not sure if my math is right though.

40/40/20 doesnt seem to work for me because i seem to be really responsive to carbs. so if i just time it around my workouts and keep them moderate (no more that 1gm/lb.) i hope to see fat loss.

by the way, im 5'11'' 183@ 24% BF

bump