sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)

Which weight category do you choose? Noob question, sorry.

I weigh about 58kg right now. The classes are 57kg and 63kg. The meet is in 4 months. I'm detrained - used to lift a lot, only lifted lightly for a few years, last kid born 5 months ago. Would it be reasonable to try and eat at a surplus to be at 63kg or just lose a little and come in at 57kg? Is it always unwise to try and lose a bit of weight when doing this?? Sorry if this is an irrelevent question, this will be my first meet. I'm 5'5. I'm not really sure how to eat for strength when detrained or if it even matters?

csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csday924 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    I weigh about 58kg right now. The classes are 57kg and 63kg. The meet is in 4 months. I'm detrained - used to lift a lot, only lifted lightly for a few years, last kid born 5 months ago. Would it be reasonable to try and eat at a surplus to be at 63kg or just lose a little and come in at 57kg? Is it always unwise to try and lose a bit of weight when doing this?? Sorry if this is an irrelevent question, this will be my first meet. I'm 5'5. I'm not really sure how to eat for strength when detrained or if it even matters?
    Depends on how much you weighed pre pregnancy and how much weight you still may be holding on to. You would be just fine dropping a kg.

But since this is your first contest I would worry more about having a good training cycle and meet then which class to fill. Classes really only matter if you are going for national or world records.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by csday924 View Post
    Depends on how much you weighed pre pregnancy and how much weight you still may be holding on to. You would be just fine dropping a kg.

But since this is your first contest I would worry more about having a good training cycle and meet then which class to fill. Classes really only matter if you are going for national or world records.
    Thank you, I'm actually a bit below my pre-baby weight (132lbs, now I'm 128lbs) but that was because I had just had 2 other pregnancies right before (I have been watching and not participating for way too long)

Okay, I think I'll just ignore the whole class thing for now. If history repeats itself, then locally, the only other girl anywhere near my size who ever shows up is a national champion so really, there's no competition there LOL. The other girls all are 80kg+ and there's no way I could be that size at my height without being a truck.

Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mumra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by csday924 View Post

this. I've never worried about trying to make a weight class. I just train the hardest/smartest I can and lift there lucky for me I've pretty much always been in the 220 since I started so it was no big deal.
    MuscleTech Supporter

APC/GPA, SPF 220
    http://americanpowerliftingcommittee-usa.com/
    Raw 216lbs bw
    Meet#/Gym#
    Squat 660bs/700lbs
    Bench 405lbs/415lbs
    DL 650/same

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    For local, just for fun meets, just don't even worry about it. Just weigh whatever you need to be strong. The only exception is going for records/qualifying for bigger meets.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."