Thread: Smoking

silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smoking

I’m having a hard time quitting.....
    How detrimental is it to your body while trying to build muscle?

muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muirsy88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I dont know about its effects on building muscle, but I'd be more concerned about my heart and lungs.It's not much uses having a nice body if you have to walk around sporting a tracheostomy tube..
    "Don't count the days, make every day count"

yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yahyo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    smokin wont necessarily effect muscle building, but more effects your stamina and your ability to get out that last rep.

silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silversky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i searched and found out most of the info i needed to know
    (i did it backwards post than search)

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by silversky

I've been smoke free now for 4 months as of today... (I smoked for 14 years, and have no desire to go back.)

Now there's two sides here to discuss...

1. What are the benefits of quitting:

Now a lot of the stuff they tell you on TV and websites about the improvement to your health is a half truth... Like your blood pressure plummeting low... It actually only drops by 5 or so points on average... And while battling the addiction it jumps up like 30 points (But that's understandable)
    Or how you'll stop snoring if you do... Bzzzzt... I actually started snoring for the first time since quitting smoking.

Or how everyone gains fat... NOPE... I went up 1-2% body fat in 4 months, and I'm bulking...

You'll have less cogestion issues... Uh what absolutely no change?

Okay so those are the things that I call "The Lies"

Now for the real positives...

-Your endurance level goes through the roof... I have absolutely no clue what the top end of my endurance is. (Granted I was an athlete who smoked, so I essentially just took the moron out of the word Oxymoron.)

-My Squat weight jumped 50 pounds in 2 weeks, and is continuing to sky rocket... I have to buy more weights now, because I'm squatting everything I have in the house with a boat anchor tied to the each end of the bar.

And when it comes to building muscle Squats & Deads are the milk, the bread, the butter, the cheese, the vegetable, and the sauce, that goes with meat of the Meal of gains.

-No more sucking wind...

-When you quit your body becomes a lot more effecient at battling the flu virus, as influenza lives in the lungs... Any "Bug that I catch" just glances off me in a day or two, while my girlfriend or others who catch the same thing get leveled by it. (Granted as an athlete, I have a heightened immune system already.)

-Smell... Sure you might realize that as a smoker you smell... But I didn't realize how bad until I quit... HOLY CHRIST do smokers, and their things smell terrible! I want to harf a dead monkey now when I come across things that smell like smoke... Even some of my favorite books smell like smoke, and I hate them!

-Pride... Have no doubt that what's causing you to smoke, and what's inspiring you with all these inane excuses, is a little piece of evil that's deep inside you, and it's friggin' liberating to be free of it... And it's something worth being proud to have beaten it... Not to mention when you look back at all the lame ass piece of **** excuses you've made over the years, you can see how F*ckin' pathetic you were, and discover how proud and strong you are now!

Now as for how to quit...

I reccomend checking with your Doc... He's going to reccomend a combo program, most likely the patch, zyban, and nicotine losenges.

-The losenges are worthless IMO... I only used like 5 total... They did nothing to help for me.

-The Zyban (Or similar) on the one hand... When you quit, yes your brain chemistry is all mixed up and the Zyban helps balance you out... But it has side effects that even though mild, they pissed me off...

-The Patch... Now there's the key... However, you have to know how to use it...

The keys to the patch effectively...
    1. You have to be ready to quit... By that I mean stop being a pussy... You're making lame ass ****ty excuses to keep smoking, and I know it! Personal accountability is the high water mark of a man... Embrace it and be prepared for a hard fight. Nothing worth while comes easy.

2. The patch isn't just something that gives you nicotine for a while an lets you buy some time between the smoking and non-smoker identity...
    You have to use it to "Beat" the addiction, as the Patch allows you to seperate the Physical and the Mental aspects of the addiction... The patch is taking care of the physical part, so you can work on the mental.

Step One Highest dosage...
    Day 1-4... Just get through it... Whatever you have to do to get through those days without smoking... Eat chocolate non-stop, Take a million walks, molest the neighbors lama, whatever you need to do to not smoke!

The remaining time on Step 1, is critical in that you spend it defeating your triggers... Keep expiramenting when the cravings pop up on how to defeat them... Pop a Halls Losenge (Which works best) Drive with your smoking hand on the wheel... Keep this up for the remaining month...

Step 2... Yes you'll feel a little dizzy for the first two days... yes you'll probably have a headache... Yes your fuse will be getting shorter Just keep it up...

Step 3... All about confidence, and getting ready to step down to Zero...

Stepping to Zero... Final joy, and liberation... Now you just have to keep it up.
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dash Riprock will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why don't you just admit that you are wanting us to tell you it's okay for you to smoke..Think about what I just said...

We aren't going to do that so work a little harder.

By the way, I have seen many people die from lung cancer and the effects of smoking. You don't wanna go out that way..

Good luck

Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000) Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000) Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000) Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000) Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000) Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000) Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000) Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000) Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000) Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000) Togoro is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Nainoa
    I've been smoke free now for 4 months as of today... (I smoked for 14 years, and have no desire to go back.)

Now a lot of the stuff they tell you on TV and websites about the improvement to your health is a half truth... Like your blood pressure plummeting low... It actually only drops by 5 or so points on average... And while battling the addiction it jumps up like 30 points (But that's understandable)
    Or how you'll stop snoring if you do... Bzzzzt... I actually started snoring for the first time since quitting smoking.

Or how everyone gains fat... NOPE... I went up 1-2% body fat in 4 months, and I'm bulking...

-Your endurance level goes through the roof... I have absolutely no clue what the top end of my endurance is. (Granted I was an athlete who smoked, so I essentially just took the moron out of the word Oxymoron.)

-My Squat weight jumped 50 pounds in 2 weeks, and is continuing to sky rocket... I have to buy more weights now, because I'm squatting everything I have in the house with a boat anchor tied to the each end of the bar.

And when it comes to building muscle Squats & Deads are the milk, the bread, the butter, the cheese, the vegetable, and the sauce, that goes with meat of the Meal of gains.

-No more sucking wind...

-When you quit your body becomes a lot more effecient at battling the flu virus, as influenza lives in the lungs... Any "Bug that I catch" just glances off me in a day or two, while my girlfriend or others who catch the same thing get leveled by it. (Granted as an athlete, I have a heightened immune system already.)

-Smell... Sure you might realize that as a smoker you smell... But I didn't realize how bad until I quit... HOLY CHRIST do smokers, and their things smell terrible! I want to harf a dead monkey now when I come across things that smell like smoke... Even some of my favorite books smell like smoke, and I hate them!

-Pride... Have no doubt that what's causing you to smoke, and what's inspiring you with all these inane excuses, is a little piece of evil that's deep inside you, and it's friggin' liberating to be free of it... And it's something worth being proud to have beaten it... Not to mention when you look back at all the lame ass piece of **** excuses you've made over the years, you can see how F*ckin' pathetic you were, and discover how proud and strong you are now!

I reccomend checking with your Doc... He's going to reccomend a combo program, most likely the patch, zyban, and nicotine losenges.

-The losenges are worthless IMO... I only used like 5 total... They did nothing to help for me.

-The Zyban (Or similar) on the one hand... When you quit, yes your brain chemistry is all mixed up and the Zyban helps balance you out... But it has side effects that even though mild, they pissed me off...

1. You have to be ready to quit... By that I mean stop being a pussy... You're making lame ass ****ty excuses to keep smoking, and I know it! Personal accountability is the high water mark of a man... Embrace it and be prepared for a hard fight. Nothing worth while comes easy.

2. The patch isn't just something that gives you nicotine for a while an lets you buy some time between the smoking and non-smoker identity...
    You have to use it to "Beat" the addiction, as the Patch allows you to seperate the Physical and the Mental aspects of the addiction... The patch is taking care of the physical part, so you can work on the mental.

Day 1-4... Just get through it... Whatever you have to do to get through those days without smoking... Eat chocolate non-stop, Take a million walks, molest the neighbors lama, whatever you need to do to not smoke!

The remaining time on Step 1, is critical in that you spend it defeating your triggers... Keep expiramenting when the cravings pop up on how to defeat them... Pop a Halls Losenge (Which works best) Drive with your smoking hand on the wheel... Keep this up for the remaining month...

Step 2... Yes you'll feel a little dizzy for the first two days... yes you'll probably have a headache... Yes your fuse will be getting shorter Just keep it up...

Stepping to Zero... Final joy, and liberation... Now you just have to keep it up.
    Awesome post man, almost makes me want to start smoking just so I can quit! Reps for that one. If smokers aren't motivated to quit after this, they're already dead.
    If one is born a male, at least once in his life he'll dream of becoming the strongest man alive.

"Once you do them you will own the squat."

-Fitnessman referring to 3-count squat pauses.

scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scarybubba has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sticky for that wonderful post

SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SkinnyFat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Its been 49 days since I had my last cigarette. I quit cold turkey without the aid of the patch, zyban, or lozenges. Although I did find that if i use Listerine mouth wash 2-3 times per hour it left that minty taste in my mouth which allowed me not to crave a cigarette, for the first week or so. I assume halls can do the same.

I found that my endurance increased which allowed me more gym time, as well as inceased strength.

Also, good post Nainoa, very informative.

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    WOW GUYS... Thanks for all the reps...

I had been thinking about making a post in the Misc, to encourage and educate people who were going to quit smoking for their New Years Resolution...

I'm starting to think I should copy over this post, and go for it.

Thanks

Nainoa
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) musclemass22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Don't know much about muscle building effects but can't be good. I chew tobacco a lot and have heard that all nicotine, especially through smoking constricts the blood vessels making vascularity less visible. I got much more vascular after quitting smoking and switching to chew. Not a healthy alternative, I know. I have done a few shows though and see many competitors that chew tobacco. If your going to quit though, QUIT! Don't pick-up another nasty habit

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

Originally Posted by Nainoa

-No more sucking wind...

Wonderful post...very well put
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've quit, well, I went from a pack a day to about 1 cig a day (because that with a little coffe makes me crap before I have to go to work honestly).

But, I know this will piss people off, nicotene does help prevent muscle loss in periods of starvation.

Originally Posted by Mattguy

But, I know this will piss people off, nicotene does help prevent muscle loss in periods of starvation.
    LOL... No it doesn't...

For 1, the whole, "I'm eating too low of cals for a day, and my body is chowing on my muscle mass like a lion on a wounded gazelle" is a fallacy...

Any appreciable atrophy/muscle loss, say from injury or prolonged rest/lazinees takes 3-5 weeks to actually happen and then it's slow, up until the 8-12 week mark, when one starts to plummet down towards large amounts of muscle loss.

The reason the misconception exists is because many people out there don't understand how nutrient load during bulking affects the volume and appearance of muscle tissue... And when they go into a cut or a period when they aren't on bulking level of cals they "Look Flat." As the nutrient load and water retention of their muscles goes down and returns to normal... The reality is that at that moment, they're actually seeing their muscle mass as it really is.

It's this same principle as to why female body builders were generally pop some little sugar treats an hour or so before they go on stage... As weeks of cutting leaves them "Flat" looking... But the insulin spike and Glycemic increase causes more "Pump" into the muscle's making them look bigger for the short period of time that it lasts.

Now it is true that a biological mechanism happens when one is in "True Starvation." Meaning an extreme state of famine that has occured for 5+ days... They body has run out of all available glycogen stores, and it begins to pure burn fat... But in doing this it also compromises muscle... The lower the fat stores go, the more the body has to dip into the vast caloric battery that is the muscle tissue.

It's also note worthy that the body goes after muscle as a last resort because the burning of muslce creates toxin's in the blood which are incredibly hard for the kidneys to process out... Often resulting in fever.

The taking in a stimulant such as nicotine, caffine or what-have-you, is going to serve to increase the metabolism, meaning the body's caloric need is going to go up, meaning that Should you happen to come to this level of dire straights, that smoking would be a bad idea!

Cliff Notes... Sorry Bro... But you're dead wrong on this one.
    6'4"

wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wood78221 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Originally Posted by yahyo
    smokin wont necessarily effect muscle building, but more effects your stamina and your ability to get out that last rep.

so therefore hindering muscle gains when it really comes down to it.
    Rammer Jammer, give em' hell Alabama

Not what I use to be..... StrongEnough?'s Avatar
    StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Two words.... Cold turkey.

After 2-3 weeks, it's the habbit that bothers you. The nicotine at that point is out of your system. I did it, 14 months ago, and haven't looked back. It's amazing how much better you feel, how much money you save, and how much smoking really turns you off.