edhunter112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edhunter112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edhunter112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) edhunter112 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

large versus small muscle groups

Which muscle groups are considered large, and which are considered small? Most say chest, back, shoulders and legs are large and tris and bis are small. Is this correct? And are all muscles of the legs (ie. calves, quads, and hams) considered large?

Cheers.

KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by edhunter112 View Post
    Which muscle groups are considered large, and which are considered small? Most say chest, back, shoulders and legs are large and tris and bis are small. Is this correct? And are all muscles of the legs (ie. calves, quads, and hams) considered large?

Cheers.
    Most would say this I think:
    Large: Chest, Back, Shoulders, Quads, Hamstrings
    Small: Biceps, Triceps, Forearms, Abs, Traps, Calves

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KarateChris View Post
    Large: Chest, Back, Shoulders, Quads, Hamstrings, Mr Goodbar & the combustion-bustion brothas
    Well said.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Traps are a large muscle, far larger than the deltoids.

In general, as a muscle's distance increases from the center of your body its size decreases.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ecap will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I would say deltoids are a small muscle group, and include traps with 'back muscles'.

large: quads (4 rectus muscles), hams (bi femoris and its partners), pecs, back (traps/lats/rhoms/teres), glutes
    Small: bi/tri brachii, brachialis/flexors of the forearm, gastro/soleus (calves), muscles of head/neck/etc

This is actually a tough question because a lot of the 'larger muscles' are actually system composites of many smaller (but in some cases still relatively large) muscles
    ذربايجان ديلیMISC VIGILANTEذربايجان ديلی
    Current PRs:
    Squat - 275x1, 5x5@230
    Deadlift - 3x5@300
    Bench - 1 rep max@ 210 (shooting for 4 plates!!)
    Push-press - 2x5@ 140
    Bodyweight - 168-171lbs

KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000) KarateChris is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Kiknskreem View Post
    Traps are a large muscle, far larger than the deltoids.

In general, as a muscle's distance increases from the center of your body its size decreases.
    I understand the size of the traps is larger than the delts, but in making my list, I based it on not only size but how many exercises/sets are "normally" (i.e. the trend from other lifters and myself over the years of training) done for that given muscle group. I do 5 exercises for my delts, but only 2 for my traps (traps also get hit on back day and certain shoulder exercises). I have yet to see someone do 5+ exercises for their traps SPECIFICALLY (not including deadlifts and other rows that hit traps on back day) and only 2-3 exercises for delts. Thus the reason why I put traps in the small muscle group.

Again, my list is my opinion. Many will differ and that's fine.

FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It depends on the person too. I think my tiny calves are bigger than my tinier chest.

khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50) khajja will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IMO

large: back, chest, shoulders, quads,hams, abs
    small: biceps, triceps, calves, forearms, everything else

strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Large are mine

small are yours.

--I'm afraid of what I don't believe in--

Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500) Shylock is not very helpful. (-500)
    How can some say delts are large and traps small? wtf!!

I think people are confusing types of exerices you use for muscle groups with types of muscle groups. Just because people do 3 types of shoulder exericse does not mean they are large, far from it.

Large - Back, legs, Abs

Anything else is not large. And besides, why is their no middle ground? Chest is medium not large. Unless of course we are not talking about size anymore.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Pretty good list.

I understand the size of the traps is larger than the delts, but in making my list, I based it on not only size but how many exercises/sets are "normally" (i.e. the trend from other lifters and myself over the years of training) done for that given muscle group. I do 5 exercises for my delts, but only 2 for my traps (traps also get hit on back day and certain shoulder exercises). I have yet to see someone do 5+ exercises for their traps SPECIFICALLY (not including deadlifts and other rows that hit traps on back day) and only 2-3 exercises for delts. Thus the reason why I put traps in the small muscle group.

Again, my list is my opinion. Many will differ and that's fine.
    I agree with your logic. Notice the guy said BACK, not LATS.

Plus, most people train "traps" as traps 1 and 2. Most people train the lower parts with their general BACK routine.

I took the question from a bodybuilding perspective. What a concept on bb.com!!
    Last edited by Defiant1; 01-10-2008 at 06:55 AM.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) lesterarin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    My mother is a big lady, and big boned. Luckily i got her genes for the large muscle groups.

got my dads small arms and calves.

I guess im still happy. However it would be nice to have her arms.

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lesterarin View Post
    My mother is a big lady, and big boned. Luckily i got her genes for the large muscle groups.

got my dads small arms and calves.

I guess im still happy. However it would be nice to have her arms.
    Bio 101, buddy.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem