britt777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Does creatine cause weight gain?

I am a female and just started taking creatine (cell Mass)

I was just wondering if this causes weight gain. I see the scale going up quickly 2lbs in two days.

I have read muscles retain water with creatine, but I didn't expect that kind of weight gain so quickly.

deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deserusan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Creatine causes retention of water. They type of creatine and the transport system it utilizes determines how much water will be retained outside the muscle. I'm not sure what your goals are, but creatine will definately bloat a female up. You are more suseptable to water retention anyway due to monthly hormonal shifts. Just out of curiosity what are your goals and what is your diet like?
    "I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Heretic....

Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rippd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The first time you take creatine you can definately expect weight gain from 5-10lbs. the first week. Creatine draws water INTO your muscle, that is a good thing.
    Rep system sucks, we all agree, the only ones who really use it are idiots who think it makes a difference

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Krealk is the best creatine experience I have had- a have gained a few pounds early but no bloat and I look fine. Just remember 1 gallon of water is 8.65 pounds so a little extra fluid can go a long way on the scale.

RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    While I agree with what has been said here, remember, it is all water gain, creatine itself does not cause an increase in LBM, you need food for that.

britt777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does thin mean because I am a female I shouldn't be taking creatine.

My goal is to tone up big time. I have always been active.

I am 36 5'9" 137lbs. I have a very nice figure but have a lot of fat in the butt and thigh area. People say I must be a stick, but I am not. I am pretty muscular.

I am taking creatine to help with strength when lifting weights.
    I also supplement with Whey Protein 3x a day. Upon wake up, PO workout and before bed. I try to get the other protien in my meals.
    I also take 5grams glutimine before bed with protein.

My meals aren't probably the greatest, but I am going through a whole diet change. Trying to eat much healthier.

I have never been a big eater but when I eat it is almost all garbage. That explains the being thin, but having huge fat store up in the thighs.

As a matter of fact the whole diet and learning what to eat when is killing me.

An suggestions greatly appreciated.

Is is ok to mix creatine with Cranberry juice for po workout drink?

RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RB12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by britt777
    Does thin mean because I am a female I shouldn't be taking creatine.

My goal is to tone up big time. I have always been active.

I am 36 5'9" 137lbs. I have a very nice figure but have a lot of fat in the butt and thigh area. People say I must be a stick, but I am not. I am pretty muscular.

I am taking creatine to help with strength when lifting weights.
    I also supplement with Whey Protein 3x a day. Upon wake up, PO workout and before bed. I try to get the other protien in my meals.
    I also take 5grams glutimine before bed with protein.

My meals aren't probably the greatest, but I am going through a whole diet change. Trying to eat much healthier.

I have never been a big eater but when I eat it is almost all garbage. That explains the being thin, but having huge fat store up in the thighs.

As a matter of fact the whole diet and learning what to eat when is killing me.

An suggestions greatly appreciated.

Is is ok to mix creatine with Cranberry juice for po workout drink?

No, it does not mean that you should not be taking creatine, just that you should be aware of the effects. Some of the new creatines, like cee, cause less bloat than mono, so that may be something you want to consider. YOu can mix creatine with juice, water, etc. and not have any problems at all. Creatine can be quite helpful during a bulk or a cut.

Diet will play a much bigger role than supps in your changes and I am glad to hear that you are trying to get that in order. Here is some info that you may find useful in deciding how to eat and train. You may also want to check out the female section of this forum site, the women are quite helpful over there in order to specifically tailor programs for females:

Originally Posted by pu12en12g
    Diet:

-Total daily calorie intake. This is what will make / break you

- It is NOT efficient to try and lost fat AND gain muscle at the same time

- BMR and nutrition calculator (click here)

- Total Daily Protein Intake (for best results I recommend AROUND 2g per lb of bodyweight)

- Fatloss basics. READ IT:

- Foods (Good vs. Bad):

- If there was ONE SINGLE KEY to the gains I made in the 1 1/2 years when I went from 175-225 (my best.. leanest gains), it is OATS / STEEL CUT OATS ! The emphasis here is that oats / steel cut oats are a INEXPENSIVE, HEALTHY, yet VERY CALORIE DENSE FOOD. I saw lean gains like I had never seen before. But NO THEY DON'T TASTE GOOD. YOU HAVE TO FORCE FEED THEM. This gets old fast. I added about 1 cup of oats to each protein shake.

When bulking (to gain lean muscle mass), I aim for:

- 1lb lean beef per day
    - 1 Gallon Skim Milk per day
    - Around 2000 cals per day from oats
    - Lots of protein shakes (up to 8 per day)
    - Lean chicken
    - Lean turkey
    - Lean beef / sloppy Joes (manwich)
    - Hamburger Helper
    - Lots of pasta
    - Lots of tuna
    - Potatoes
    - Rice (Note: If you can afford it you can do things like boneless chicken breast, steaks etc.. etc..)
    - Veggies (Fresh if possible)

When cutting (to lose fat):

- I eat many of the same foods above, but with a lower TOTAL DAILY CALORIE INTAKE

- I put a emphasis on PRE- and POST-workout nutrition, and the end result is that most of my calories are eaten before my afternoon workout. I have found this to be ideal (for me).

Supplements:

- Supplements / Companies to avoid: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...0&postcount=81

- SAVE $$$$$ ! ! STICK WITH THE BASICS ! ! )- Stay on creatine, there is no need to cycle it ! (cycling and loading are totally optional)

- Creatine timing (when / how to take it):- For best results, aim for AROUND 2g of total daily protein intake per lb of bodyweight EVERY SINGLE DAY ! !

Example:
    Bodyweight: 200lbs
    Total daily protein intake: 400g
    Here is why:

Workout / Routine:

- I recommend a MAX-OT, 5x5, HST (or similar) routine with a EMPHASIS ON:
    - Squatting / Leg pressing
    - Deadlifts
    - Barbell benchpress
    (Including flat / decline / incline)
    - Both BB's and DB's for best results

- Concentrate more on measurements and less on bodyweight

- Weigh yourself once a week. Should gain (or lose) around 1lb per week (depending on goals).

- Concentrate on form first, in order to stay injury free

- Emphasize both range of motion, and mind-muscle connection

- With intensity, strength gains, and a proper bodybuilding diet, the size gains (or fatloss) will come

- Make sure and have a spotter when working out your major muscle groups, preferrably someone bigger than you

- Don't be scared of overtraining. Simply listen (pay attention) to your body, and ask more questions later if you think you are overtraining.

Cardio:

- If possible, do cardio at least 8 hours from when you lift weights

- If possible, do cardio in the AM after sleeping.

- No need to do cardio on a empty stomach, but many prefer to due to nausea

- Jumping rope is a very efficient form of cardio

- HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a efficient form of cardio

Recovery (A.K.A GROWTH !):

- With proper intensity MUST COME PROPER RECOVERY !

- Make sure and get enough protein right before you go to sleep.

- Make sure and get enough protein/carbs right when you wake up

- Make sure and get enough deep, quality sleep (Not getting enough quality sleep is the #1 newbie mistake. You should aim for at least 8 QUALITY hours of sleep per night): - Make sure and get enough protein / calories on off days (This is when your body will be recovering) It is important to be consistent !

- Make sure and get proper pre and post-workout nutrition:
    Carbs pre and post workout.
    Protein pre and post workout.
    Creatine pre and post workout:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=272067

H20 / Cell volumization:

- Make sure and drink enough water throughout the day (This is CRITICAL ! !) I drink about 1 liter per hour. (Keep in mind I am currently over 240lbs so you may not need this much) Click here to read about why this is SO IMPORTANT:
    Good luck !

Disclaimer: The above post is IN MY OPINION, or IN MY EXPERIENCE, unless otherwise noted.