Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fafpllfpal is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

best split to get big arms?

What is the best split if your main focus is to bulk up biceps and triceps. I am currently alternating back/bi and chest/tri workouts every other day. So can anyone give a split that focuses mainly on arms? WOuld they get bigger from doing biceps and triceps on seperate days or on the same day? remember, focusing mainly on bulking up arms.

Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

I do arms on the same day: bi's and tri's..
    I hit tris first and then bi's for 3 weeks. Andthen vice versa.. I always switch up the excersises every 4 weeks too.

AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That is also what i do. I don't train the biceps with the back because in my opinion as well as some others, your biceps gets to tired after doing back unabling you to do well with whatever biceps exercise you have planned on doing. And since many have said that the biceps gets easily overtrained, then training it on a seperate day is the best way. So in my case i do Chest and Back on the same day and then group my arms with my shoulders, and legs on another day.

blackbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackbird has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I train bis and tris together, also eat more.

Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Irishman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do bis/tris together as well. My gains have been great since adopting this routine - plus my arms get a bonus workout on chest/back day as well. Almost like two workouts for the price of one
    "Feelin' Good Is Good Enough!"

JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JayBro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I do biceps with shoulder and back, last, and when I start my bicep routine I am already pumped and have no problem with my sets.

It works for me but I do see the value in doing arms seperate. for me its the amount of rest days before they get hit again. if you are working a muscle group every other day I dont see adequate rest for growing that muscle, without gear to help recovery.

If you do arms mon, then chest tue, and shoulders wed, your bi's and tri's did not get enough rest, or let me restate that....mine would not have had enough rest.

JMHO

Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Smurf is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up

My routine I think works pretty well. I do Chest/ Tri's, and sometimes i do Tri's first. Then i do Legs/Bi's which is awesome because you have all the energy in the world for you biceps, then i do back and shoulders. and it does just fine for me.

masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I believe u should pair up bodyparts which get hit indirectly with other exercises, e,g Chest and SHoulders - Back/Biceps etc, u need full recovery before hitting a muscle again, so it you do your biceps on a different day from back, they'll still be a little fried from your back workout and once u work them on a separate day you'll go into overtraining for sure...... maximum recovery equals maximum growth...

Think of it this way, if you break your leg in an accident, and you wanna start walking again without braces, if you start walking on it before your bone heals it will never heal and get stronger will it now?? Same applies to your muscle.......
    A pump is like cuming - Arnold

Dorian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I mix it up for about 6weeks I will do back and bi's then chest and tri's. Then after that I do the arms together on one day. I really think the best way is to do them with the back and chest. Your arms really do work rather hard during these. i do pull ups with my hands at different positons and this really stresses the bi's.

imweak has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i do biceps with forearms.... I was just wandering, what is a good amount of sets to be doing for biceps? right now i am doing about 9-11 sets just for biceps......... is that to much?
    im weak

Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

no thats fine.. just remember to switch it up and do less sets after doing that routine for awhile

AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AllenP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    And what happened to the notion that the arms specially the biceps can get overtrained easily. If you do the biceps together with the back on the same day, isn't it overtraining already?

masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) masswithclass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Allen, i don't believe its overtraining, because if you train your back correctly with excercises like wide-grip chin-ups etc, your arms get warmed up and ready for an arm workout, why the hell would u wanna cool em off and train em another day??

Call it intelligent training, or listening to your body but for me its the only way to grow....

Allen, just read your other post in regards to training chest and back, bro thats a tough workout, how can you have enough strength to go full-on with deadlifts and stuff if your already stuffed from mega heavy benching etc, ever heard the concept of training ONE major bodypart i.e Chest, coupled with a smaller muscle group i.e shoulder??

If your believe in overtraining then Chest and back on the same day definetely would be the worst workout to go into a state of overtraining, unless ofcourse you're one of these guys that bench press a ton and then just to a couple of sets of rows and call it a day...

Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Christopher has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: best split to get big arms?

Originally posted by fafpllfpal
    What is the best split if your main focus is to bulk up biceps and triceps. I am currently alternating back/bi and chest/tri workouts every other day. So can anyone give a split that focuses mainly on arms? WOuld they get bigger from doing biceps and triceps on seperate days or on the same day? remember, focusing mainly on bulking up arms.
    Have you ever seen anyone who you would generally consider big yet with puny arms? I havent!

My arms are growing with the rest of my body and I do ZERO thats right folks ZERO direct arm movements. I feel my tris get worked well in my bench, ohp and deads and i feel my bis get worked well enough with my pulldowns or chins. Are you even working your legs? If not you have alot to learn about the sport and this every other day upper body/arms routine wont get you the gains your after.

Well as far as i am concerned, i am quite happy with my routine at the moment. I would really like to split my chest and back on seperate days, but then, i don't have that much time. Anyway, it is more on how your body reacts to a training routine. If the reaction is favorable then it is fine. The last four months, i gained 1 1/2 inches on my arms doing my routine. And currently i am about 184 lbs at 5'7" height. The back and the chest are two opposite muscles in my opinion. As long as i am prepared to work out the two on the same day and have enough energy to do so, i don't think that there is a problem. And after that, I would take 76 hours before i hit the gym again giving my body enough time to rest. The last four months, my bench has increased tremendously gaining about 35 kilos on the weight i lift. And so are the the weights i am lifting during my back training. I guess with my improvements, i am not overtraining. Listen to your body, even the great Arnold train so hard that if we adapt what he was doing then, we will surely overtrain. But he got big, i guess he is special. The best thing you can do is experiment and give everything a try before any conclusion is made.

Rusk1e has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been doing chest/back for a month now and it's been pretty good
    What is best in life??
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women!

khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250) khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250) khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250) khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250) khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250) khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250) khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250) khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250) khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250) khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250) khatari has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do chest/Back on the same day, take a day off then do Legs/Shoulders, day of rest again then do arms works fine for me
    Sorry for my english...
    It wont affect me repping you back

Vision is purpose, and when your purpose is clear so are your life choices.
    Vision creates faith and faith creates willpower.
    With faith there is no anxiety, no doubt - just absolute confidence

- Arnie

BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Have you ever seen anyone who you would generally consider big yet with puny arms? I havent!
    It will be a nice day when every teen and newb realize this...

Bench goes up - your triceps will grow
    Deads and Rows go up - your biceps will grow
    Last edited by BigKev23; 08-22-2009 at 08:56 PM.

BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigKev23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by masswithclass View Post
    I believe u should pair up bodyparts which get hit indirectly with other exercises, e,g Chest and SHoulders - Back/Biceps etc, u need full recovery before hitting a muscle again, so it you do your biceps on a different day from back, they'll still be a little fried from your back workout and once u work them on a separate day you'll go into overtraining for sure...... maximum recovery equals maximum growth...

Think of it this way, if you break your leg in an accident, and you wanna start walking again without braces, if you start walking on it before your bone heals it will never heal and get stronger will it now?? Same applies to your muscle.......
    this was a joke right?
    unless you are doing a huge amount of sets per bodypart or doing nothing but failure training then you can easily get away with training each bodypart more than once a week. As far as 'recovery' you are never really recovered 100% (complete tissue remodeling takes a long time), protein turnover returns to baseline in a couple of days, the limiting factor in weight training tends to be the nervous system rather than the muscle tissue (and overtraining is all about the nervous system and is systemic rather than working your biceps too often).

Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Arm_Wrestler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As far as your alternating workout, that seems like too much. I know when I train chest, it typically takes about 5 days before it is even close to go again. Back I could hit twice a week. I would suggest that you stop doing Bi's with your back and Tri's with you.r chest. They are both already worked during the process of your chest and back workouts, so let that be their "light" workout for the week. I switch it up between tri's alone, bi's alone, and every once in a while (every 2 weeks or so) I do them together. But isolate them away from your chest and back.

Ultimately you have to do what feels best for you. Don't train them if they are so sore it hurts to stretch them. I usually do the tri's 2-3 days after chest, and bi's 2-3 days after back.

I am certainly no bodybuilder, but this approach has worked to give me decent sized arms.
    "To get where you want to be, you have to train like you want to get there."

parry32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    my routine i think works pretty well. I do chest/ tri's, and sometimes i do tri's first. Then i do legs/bi's which is awesome because you have all the energy in the world for you biceps, then i do back and shoulders. And it does just fine for me.

but if u do triceps first u woodnt be able to lift as much for chest ??

Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shank_Nasty7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I workout on a 5 day split mon-fri. I'll work back on mon, chest on tues, legs/core on wed, shoulders on thur, and full arms on fri. In essence, this allows me to get two arm workouts through the week and plenty of rest between them. My arms arent tired on fri, seeing as i'm not primarily working them out on mon or tues, and 3 days to rest them between (for the most part). You could switch back and chest, but i do it that way because i get an extra days rest between my back and shoulders excersices. aside from that, i pick about 8 exercises for each muscle group that seem appealing and do 4 different every week for a couple months before i get bored with them and mix em' up.

canucks09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BigKev23 View Post
    It will be a nice day when every teen and newb realize this...

Bench goes up - your triceps will grow
    Deads and Rows go up - your biceps will grow
    what are key exercises for gaining size in biceps? i am 155lbs and i went from benching 275 to 345 1RM in a few months of hitting hard my tri`s , but hitting the biceps in the same manner only improved strength not size .... do u have any suggestions how i can improve size now that i developed some strength. thanks

hajdugabor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fafpllfpal View Post
    My suggestion is do not do split days if you do not need to, train your arms once a week but then hit them hard with about 3-4 different exercises for both bi and tri. When you do the exercises focus on the contraction phase of the movement, feel your bi contracting, keep it there for a sec then slowly lower the bar, it gives you a great pump and then growth ( I personally added 1-2 inches to my arms just by doing this).

lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lionsman81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do bi's and tri's together and superset them. I've always had trouble building my arms, but this has been working really well for me so far.

ChaseTaFer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChaseTaFer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChaseTaFer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChaseTaFer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChaseTaFer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChaseTaFer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChaseTaFer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChaseTaFer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ChaseTaFer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do bi's Tri's on different day's to focus on the one muscle
    EX.
    Monday-Biceps
    Tuesday-Triceps ETC

kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10) kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10) kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10) kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10) kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10) kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10) kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10) kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10) kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10) kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10) kapsemajj is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Shank_Nasty7 View Post
    I workout on a 5 day split mon-fri. I'll work back on mon, chest on tues, legs/core on wed, shoulders on thur, and full arms on fri. In essence, this allows me to get two arm workouts through the week and plenty of rest between them. My arms arent tired on fri, seeing as i'm not primarily working them out on mon or tues, and 3 days to rest them between (for the most part). You could switch back and chest, but i do it that way because i get an extra days rest between my back and shoulders excersices. aside from that, i pick about 8 exercises for each muscle group that seem appealing and do 4 different every week for a couple months before i get bored with them and mix em' up.
    Originally Posted by canucks09 View Post
    what are key exercises for gaining size in biceps? i am 155lbs and i went from benching 275 to 345 1RM in a few months of hitting hard my tri`s , but hitting the biceps in the same manner only improved strength not size .... do u have any suggestions how i can improve size now that i developed some strength. thanks
    Originally Posted by hajdugabor View Post
    My suggestion is do not do split days if you do not need to, train your arms once a week but then hit them hard with about 3-4 different exercises for both bi and tri. When you do the exercises focus on the contraction phase of the movement, feel your bi contracting, keep it there for a sec then slowly lower the bar, it gives you a great pump and then growth ( I personally added 1-2 inches to my arms just by doing this).
    Originally Posted by lionsman81 View Post
    I do bi's and tri's together and superset them. I've always had trouble building my arms, but this has been working really well for me so far.
    Originally Posted by ChaseTaFer View Post
    I do bi's Tri's on different day's to focus on the one muscle
    EX.
    Monday-Biceps
    Tuesday-Triceps ETC
    strong bumps
    Read this before you make a thread.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132597403

abdulthepro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i do biceps with back and tricep with chest is it a good idea to build big arms

calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calvinlifter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by fafpllfpal View Post
    Super intense workouts with primary focus being on muscle contraction. 9-10 total sets for bi's and 12-14 sets for tri's. Alternate heavy to medium every 2 weeks and take 10 days off every 3 months.