Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mike_Jones_MISC is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Open letter to pro's. Best time to workout am or pm?

This has plagued me over the past week. Now that i have done extensive research on the topic. I have yet to come to a conclusion about wich time is the best to work out. For bodybuilding.

I have used the search function and have read over all 15 pages (300 posts). Along with random searches and articles ive found on the net. All with varying results about the optimal time to workout.

Such a simple question with such a difficult answer.

Arnold was always an avid early morning lifter. Usually before he did construction work. As well as Franco. When Arnold was in the Austrian Army he would get up before everyone else and lift.

Bill Pearl and friends for over 25+ years and counting would get up and be in the gym by 3:34 am to start there workouts. And in bed by 8pm.

Ever since i started bodybuilding i have structured my life around it. Yet to never become a slave to it.

I have worked out at all hours. Each with there own best workout ever. From 6am, 11am, 1pm, 5pm, 8pm 11pm, 1am... etc. Over the past 6 years with varying pro's and cons.

Going the scientific study route. Most have pointed that late afternoon 4pm+ is the optimal time to lift.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet....ime/index.html

The pro's for early morning:

Empty Gym, availability to use all equipment without wait.
    Accomplishment of having the rest of the day to do as you please.
    Less traffic if you have to commute.
    Feeding your muscles throughout the day to recoup.
    Test levels at there highest. Cortisol levels are at there lowest.
    Being able to utilize caffeine.

Con's for early morning:

Being tired or groggy.
    1-2 meals before lifting.
    Less strength (at least in my experience).
    Having to go to bed so early to get adequate sleep.
    Less of a late night social life. Due to most people staying up till 11pm on avg.

Pro's for lifting later in the day:

Increased lifts and strenght.
    According to research optimal muscle growth.
    Being able to stay up later and have a more active night social life.
    Enough energy and fuel due to a complete day of meals.

Cons for lifting later in the day:

Packed gym 5pm-8pm. Full house. (always a mad house no matter what gym, from a powerlifting to commerical).
    Possible being exhausted from working.
    Issues with sleep (the closer you workout towards your bed time the harder it will be to fall asleep).
    Not being able to use caffeine.

Im sure more can be added to each list. As i have always felt i was not a morning person and more of a night owl. I figured that statement is nothing more then an excuse alot of people use. With disicpline you can become an "anything" person. Due to my night owlism was nothing more then a lack of conditioning and habit.

Some of the greatest men who have lived. Started there day by waking up before sunrise. Getting in a good hard days work and retiring by sunset.

Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.
    Benjamin Franklin
    So my question to the pro's what are your experiences with am and pm workouts? What has worked best for you and why?

As i never intend to compete. I just want to get the most out of every workout. Even centring jobs around bodybuilding. From anything to working night shift up to now back to a 7am-3pm job. That lets me eat on shift as many times as i see fit.

I know the final answer most people will say is:

Whatever time fits your schedule. It's different for everyone.

But im willing to structure my time around it. Even if it means going to bed at 7pm and getting up a 2am. Just to add a quarter of an inch to my chest.

Obsession is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated.

IFBB Pro Bodybuilder Pro Bob Chick's Avatar
    Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pro Bob Chick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've always preferred 11-12 noon...

been awake for a while

got a few meals in me

time to recover if you have early a.m. cardio

gym is less busy
    Bob Cicherillo - IFBB Pro Bodybuilder
    IFBB Athletes rep

_Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    I like to go either extremely early or extremely late

Really ends up depending on my insulin/IGF-1 protocol...

AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000) AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000) AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000) AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000) AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000) AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000) AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000) AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000) AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000) AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000) AceMuscle22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i have worked out before around 6 in the morning and i have lifted late at night (9 ish) and i usually workout around 3. I think mid day is the best time to lift. Can get plenty of food in before and after. Can take stuff that gives you energy and dont have to stay up all night.
    bmbc

Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Captain Sagara is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My main thing about lifting so late if i'm bulking,is that by that time i'm already all bloated and farting lke an ape...If i lift to early i only have like one meal in me and i don't like it,so i prefer to lift 11 am or so...

ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghost007 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

i workout at 5am as soon as i wake up.no meal not even any supps. i eat my first meal when i get home before i go to work at 7am. it works for me.i have gains. so i would say that it must not matter.go with what you like to do.

The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The_Big_E is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    From everything I have read most agree that for cardio, early morning is best. For lifting it's pretty much what works for you, no real set time that is better.
    My church is a gym, services conducted by Lee Priest, Arnold is god, J.C. Stands for Jay Cutler and Ronnie is Moses! I use the preacher bench for confessionals and the squat rack to pay my pennance! Praise be unto Gold's!

MFT 2: 1stindoor, Johnnybomb, DonMegaR, NotMeAgain, TheSheepDog, girlygirl, sickdevildog1, MIH-XTC, awds, Sable Strenua, The Big E

Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50) Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50) Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50) Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50) Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50) Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50) Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50) Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50) Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50) Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50) Majors will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    as long as you are consistant it should not matter.
    "although you walk alone....you walk free."

Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Switch1983 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I too have also tried training at all times.
    I found when training early morning my strength didnt suffer that much, if at all. I usually train about 4pm but at the moment I am training at noon because Im on holidays and liking it, due to the gym being practically empty. But I like the idea of training early just so you have plenty of time to feed your muscles afterwards!

Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Shanecutler51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by The_Big_E View Post
    From everything I have read most agree that for cardio, early morning is best. For lifting it's pretty much what works for you, no real set time that is better.
    Cardio before breakfast or after breakfast? (no homo)

Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000) Eightpak is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I agree with Bob that 11-1pm or so seem like the best time. You already have a couple meals in you, your wide awake, and you have a few more meals to go. You also might have an empty gym. Thats when I prefer it but most of us can only go when time permits due to un-flexable schedules. Lately I've been forced to workout in the evening around 6 but it sucks cause of the rush hour traffic and the crowds.
    PharmD | IFBB Pro | ********.com/SwollenPharmD

Uz is a name known to all. (+5000) Uz is a name known to all. (+5000) Uz is a name known to all. (+5000) Uz is a name known to all. (+5000) Uz is a name known to all. (+5000) Uz is a name known to all. (+5000) Uz is a name known to all. (+5000) Uz is a name known to all. (+5000) Uz is a name known to all. (+5000) Uz is a name known to all. (+5000) Uz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I usually work out at 9-10 pm on the mon-thursday, then around noon-2 other days.