DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Fasting to get into ketosis... faster?

The other day I remembered that when I was young I had to get a physical. Well to keep the story short, I hadn't eaten much the day before and didn't eat breakfast before I went. After he looked at the urine results I remember him asking if I ate breakfast, he said he asked because I had alot of ketones in my urine.
    I was thinking, would it be possible to do a 24 hour fast to enter ketosis and then the next day continue a keto diet (I'm saying for when you're first starting a keto diet). Maybe 12 hours of fasting would get you into ketosis? I'm not sure, but I figured this could be a quick way to get into ketosis without having to wait 3 or even 4 days when you first begin.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you are young and active, then you'll get into ketosis quickly. Someone who is older or less active will take longer the first time.

Fasting will get out into ketosis, but so will eating high fat meals. Don't know about you, but I get very crabby if I miss my breakfast.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeah it sure will. I remember reading in Good Calories Bad Calories that the original recommendation for the ketogenic diet was to start with a 48 hour fast, however, atkins was the one who changed it to a 2 week induction period of minimal carbs.

DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DustinX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jg_girl088 View Post
    yeah it sure will. I remember reading in Good Calories Bad Calories that the original recommendation for the ketogenic diet was to start with a 48 hour fast, however, atkins was the one who changed it to a 2 week induction period of minimal carbs.
    Thanks for the info. I've been on it for 3 days and still come up negative with ketostix. Everything is correct in my diet after reading tons of info, so if by tomorrow I'm not in it I think I'm going to try fasting for 24 hours and hopefully that will finally get me into it

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    for me its never the 3rd day
    I always start getting into ketosis on day 4 or 5.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It's best to eat.

tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tweety09 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well..let`s say .. if i carb up saturday, then sunday i`ll eat only protein and monday will start with a high fat diet. it`s a tip i got from a nutritionist, it works out really well..
    If you`re always guiding after peoples thoughts what`s the point of having your own?

eat the yolks : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=937460

calories needed calculator : http://www.nutritiondata.com/tools/calories-burned

Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have been poping a few R-Ala caps before cardio to get me down into keto when I need to.

Also I like flaxseeds and fish oil to help with energy. I think they work well and go well with other keto foods.

tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Bo DeLone View Post
    I have been poping a few R-Ala caps before cardio to get me down into keto when I need to.

Also I like flaxseeds and fish oil to help with energy. I think they work well and go well with other keto foods.
    might not be a smart idea to be messing with r-ala when you are not eating carbs. especially pre cardio. but if you are not feeling hypo then you are probably fine.

Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10) Tiny Tim is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't know how healthy this is, but it works for me.

I'll just do a couple of Whey protein shakes (mixed with water) and alternate that with drinking shots of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, usually I'll make sure I'm getting twice as many grams of fat to protein, and I keep it low - like 1,200 to 1,500 calories.

It will put you into keto fairly quickly.

Tim
    Tiny Tim

"In other words your body can't make fat without crabs." - Athletichunta

aex3x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aex3x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aex3x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aex3x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aex3x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aex3x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aex3x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aex3x has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    How about more exercise to get you into Ketosis faster?

tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tj500 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DustinL View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've been on it for 3 days and still come up negative with ketostix. Everything is correct in my diet after reading tons of info, so if by tomorrow I'm not in it I think I'm going to try fasting for 24 hours and hopefully that will finally get me into it
    those as wildly inaccurate when you are drinking 2 liters of water a day. The ketones are there, they are just diluted down.

martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tosca View Post
    might not be a smart idea to be messing with r-ala when you are not eating carbs. especially pre cardio. but if you are not feeling hypo then you are probably fine.
    Why not? It's a glucose disposal agent.

martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) martinibluex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fasting? Dropping leptin levels, promoting fat storage through starvation and burning muscle? How about a shorter carb up instead. I took a 20-hour one and was back in ketosis in 12 hours. ALA should speed things up too.
    Last edited by martinibluex; 01-05-2008 at 04:33 PM.

jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jg_girl088 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by martinibluex View Post
    Fasting? Dropping leptin levels, promoting fat storage through starvation and burning muscle? How about a shorter carb up instead. I took a 20-hour one and was back in ketosis in 12 hours. ALA should speed things up too.
    none of those things happen on a fast unless the fast is greater than 40 hours

Finally got into ketosis! Today the strips turned dark pink which is good news. You might have been right about too much water to get accuracy, because yesterday I drank around a gallon so that might have led my urine to be a little more concentrated as it's supposed to be. Also I mean't 2 gallons not litres... I am really foggy right now, but I have been eating everything recommended (close to 45-50 g of carbs as well as alot of fat). I feel good though, even though I feel kind of foggy and tired I feel really healthy , haha. It's kind of hard to explain but I like where this is going

Also should mention that this is my first time on Keto so that might have been the delay

Originally Posted by jg_girl088 View Post
    none of those things happen on a fast unless the fast is greater than 40 hours
    If we go catabolic overnight, then wouldn't 24 hours be even more damaging?

unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000) unkept_ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by aex3x View Post
    How about more exercise to get you into Ketosis faster?
    ^^

I'm a big advocate of this.

Eat more, do more. But don't eat less and do less.

When it comes down to it, your body is smarter than you reducing your calories by 500 a day and losing a pound a week. It will work shortly, then your metabolism will slow down. Bad move. Why not keep the metabolism up and exercise more?
    Last edited by unkept_; 01-06-2008 at 01:32 AM.

Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Bo DeLone is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Good point. I take r-ala before cardio and it helps me get down in keto faster.

Nice posts here.

If you want to get in keto faster, once you have the eat keto foods part down, then training and supplements in the right ways can help get down in keto.

I have never personally had any sides from r-ala pre cardio except getting into keto quicker.

adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) adidamps2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If we go catabolic overnight, then wouldn't 24 hours be even more damaging?
    please dont tell you believe that BS...6-10 hrs of reduced metabolic sleep is not going to cause you to go catzbolickz!!!!!!!

if that was the case the guys who follow IF dieting would never get any results...considering they fast any were from 16-20hrs between their refeed periods.
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.

Originally Posted by adidamps2 View Post
    please dont tell you believe that BS...6-10 hrs of reduced metabolic sleep is not going to cause you to go catzbolickz!!!!!!!

if that was the case the guys who follow IF dieting would never get any results...considering they fast any were from 16-20hrs between their refeed periods.
    yeah seriously...
    if you still dont believe, check out http://www.leangains.com

tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10) tosca is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    um....because you are not eating glucose.

hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hatemakinsns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tosca View Post
    um....because you are not eating glucose.
    Don't have to be. Remember the body will still make Glucose to some extent from protein and the few carbs it is given. I guess the theory is that by completely emptying the glucose reserves (however small) pre-workout, there's no chance of burning anything but body fat.

Originally Posted by hatemakinsns View Post
    Don't have to be. Remember the body will still make Glucose to some extent from protein and the few carbs it is given. I guess the theory is that by completely emptying the glucose reserves (however small) pre-workout, there's no chance of burning anything but body fat.
    i understand the theory here but i still dont know how anyone can take ala and then hit the gym in a keto diet. i'll admit i havent tried this while on keto myself, but usually if i pop 200mg of r-ala and dont eat carbs i tend to get extremely hypo.