ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ekolow is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Shoulder pain during bicep curls

I do delts lats and traps in one workout and I go back to the gym later that day to do biceps. Usually during my second circuit of barbell curls+hammer curls my right shoulder will get a very painful feeling in the joint and outer front delt. I'm able to pop the joint and it feels fine on my next set for about 6 reps then the pain sets in again and I can't pop the joint. This pretty much ruins the rest of the workout that involves any use of the shoulder. What can I do to keep this from recurring?
    Kings Age Crew

FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FasterStronger is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i had the same problem today....id call it phantom shoulder pain!!!! im so scared!

1. i did some pullups plus weight like always...fine....
    2. then i grabbed an EZ bar light weight, and when i started to curl it and right at the very beginning of the motion it kinda did a funny like pop back in sensation....and then i could still do reps but it just hurt.
    4. then i tried again and the same thing happened....its a light weight i always use to do a warm up set for curls
    5. so i stopped the curls...went over to the face pulls....put it at 50 (i usaully do 70) and started to do one...the first rep i had this weird crackle thing go on and then after that rep i didnt crackle anymore but my shoulder just hurt...

i haven't had a shoulder issue in a while now (i had shoulder surgery over a year ago)...i have a balanced routine that puts limited stress on my shoulder either acutley or overuse...and im freaking out! what could i have done! i just started doing shrugs and dumbell bench press...could that have stressed out my bicep tendon?

anyone got any ideas?
    anyways i didnt mean to hijack the thread...im just saying i too have pain now in my shoulder while doing curls....im just hoping its my bicep tendon and not my gleno-humeral joint.

brian81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brian81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brian81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brian81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brian81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brian81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brian81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brian81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Start doing internal and external rotations for your rotator cuffs. You can do them using a bench and a dumbbell or the cables. I'm sure the excersize guide in here has them.
    Basically, your shoulder is the least supported and most injury prone joint in your body. Although it's technically a ball and socket joint, like your hip, it has much, much less "socket" for the "ball" to sit in.
    Without going overboard on the anatomy lesson, you're entire shoulder girdle is pretty much held together by the muscles, tendons, and ligaments around it. Strenthening your rotator cuff helps keep your shoulder where it's supposed to be, which, in turn, eliminates the pain.
    Rotator cuff rotations are NOT a bulking exsersize. They aren't meant to give you addition size, ect, so your typical set/rep routine doesn't apply. You're not building much muscle, you're more or less toughening up the tendons and ligaments.
    Use VERY LIGHT weights. No more than 5 to 10 lbs to start. Use a moderate rep range, with 15-20 being as high as you want to go. 2 sets is plenty. You will feel a slight "burn" in your shoulder in the later reps. The key word is "slight". If it starts getting uncomfortable, stop.
    It's very, very easy to damage your shoulder, these excersizes, done properly, will prevent most shoulder problems and minimize any others.
    So, to recap; 5 to 10 lbs for 15 to 20 reps and 2 sets. STOP if you feel anything but a minor "burn".
    I do these twice a week at the end of my shoulder routine. You'll see some gains in your benches, presses, and curls as a result of the stronger shoulder.