ffGarcia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Funcitonal Lifting

Hey fellas!

Feeling great so far with my new tire and sledge! Just looking for some support in some of the workouts I do. I found some youtube videos on suggesting the proper forum and some lifts but curious if any of you have experience with very simple, not really "weight lifting" lifting (if that makes sense).

What I pretty much do are listed in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cg4DC-0t-s

My tire is too narrow in the middle to do deadlifts with it but it does weigh close to 250. I also dont do the kettlebells just because I dont have any. I am still looking for a rigging rope that I can hopefully use for shoulder and forearm work (or do you guys think a sledge is enough and the ropes would be a waste?). I am also on the hunt for something to drag.. Would be nice to try and make the tire last longer.

As a simple breakdown right now I do:
    Flips
    Deep squat to jump up to the top of the tire and back down
    Sledge hits (each side)
    Deep lunges (one foot on ground, one foot on tire)
    Backwards drag (about 20 yards) - hands on the middle of the tire and backpedal.
    Forward drag (rope attached around tire and pulling forward in sprinters stance about 20 yard)

For most of the workout I do it 3x10. I currently have a 8 and a 12 lb sledgehammer - use 8 twice and 12 once. I try to stretch a lot before and after, keep good form and run about a mile afterwords.

Suggestions? Comments?

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have a tire and a sledgehammer in my backyard and I'm probably going to build a sled this summer. It's good stuff for conditioning.

Progressive overload is difficult to apply with that kind of thing though if it's all you're doing. You will max out strength and hypertrophy gains relatively quickly.

ffGarcia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    I have a tire and a sledgehammer in my backyard and I'm probably going to build a sled this summer. It's good stuff for conditioning.

Progressive overload is difficult to apply with that kind of thing though if it's all you're doing. You will max out strength and hypertrophy gains relatively quickly.
    Im not really looking to get ripped. I find sitting in a gym and lifting for hours on end to be boring (I get super bored before even a warm up run). I am also a firefighter, lots of these styles are often times what I have to deal with during the job in awkward situations.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ffGarcia View Post
    Im not really looking to get ripped. I find sitting in a gym and lifting for hours on end to be boring
    Those two don't necessarily have anything to do with each other.

Definition (i.e., "ripped") is a byproduct of muscle mass and body fat. Increase muscle mass and/or decrease body fat to get "ripped". Your diet will be the biggest factor when it comes to your body fat levels. So if you aren't looking to get ripped, then it is probably rather easy as long as you have zero concern over your diet. You could not get ripped lifting for hours on end in the gym.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493