legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ketostix = negative! Wft!?

I was browsing the forums and found several references to Ketostix, so I picked some up. However, ALL of my tests (tried yesterday about 5 times, and once this morning as soon as I woke up) came out negative!

I'm on CKD right now, a day before my carb-up, and I'm flummoxed. I'm very diligent about what I take in; I mean, the vast majority of my diet consists of tuna & mayo, pepperettes, cheese, salmon and nuts.

The only explanation I can think of is either I'm not using them correctly, or I drink so much water and pee so often that any ketones would be so diluted as to come up negative. Can anyone with experience with this gimme some feedback? Thanks in advance!

Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    How long have you been dieting the CKD phase for?

What do your workouts look like? Are you getting enough intensity?

How much liquid do you drink a day?

As far as using them correctly, you're supposed to urinate and wait for the color for 15 seconds. It usually shows up instantly though but for very slight changes in hue (i.e. to maybe see some pink) then you may have to wait your 15 secs.
    *****/*****
    Obsession with nutrition starts here.

Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    2.17: How can I tell if I'm in ketosis?
    A: The primary method: Ketostix (urine analysis strips) . Ketostix can be obtained at a pharmacy. If your pharmacy has a diabetics supply area, it will be there, otherwise simply ask the pharmicist. Ketostix measure the prescence of ketones in the urine. If the strips get dark, you're in ketosis. Ketosis is also evidenced by particuarly bad or "fruity" breath and foul smelling urine. A metallic taste in the mouth is also commonly noted. Many people notice a different mental state when they're in ketosis. For some, they get "foggy" about things while others are exactly the opposite: they feel more alert. This appears to vary considerably from individual to individual. Ketostix are not a completely reliable indication of ketosis, but it's the best we have. [HC]

2.18: What if my ketostix aren't getting dark?
    A: There are varying degrees of ketosis. If the strips aren't changing color at all, you may still be in, just not excreting sufficient ketones to react the sticks. But as long as you are showing at least "trace", you are in ketosis. The correlation of the degree of darkness of the strips to fat loss is unclear, the strips represent the amount of ketones present in the urine (i.e. excreted). If you burned up all your ketones as energy , the strips won't show anything. Darker strips don't necessary indicate greater fat loss. Some individuals find that lesser degrees of ketosis are better for fat loss although this is not universal. [HC]

Hope this helps. Got it from http://low-carb.org/faq/#Q1

Jason

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ketostix are for entertainment purposes only. Seriously, they mean nothing. I rely more on the acid taste in my mouth than I do ketostix.
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) legking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Man2kx
    How long have you been dieting the CKD phase for?

What do your workouts look like? Are you getting enough intensity?

How much liquid do you drink a day?

As far as using them correctly, you're supposed to urinate and wait for the color for 15 seconds. It usually shows up instantly though but for very slight changes in hue (i.e. to maybe see some pink) then you may have to wait your 15 secs.
    Well, I started CKD on the 28th, I'm lifting 3 days a week, cardio 6 days a week, drinking 6L of water...

I dunno, I'm not gonna worry about it overly much - there's no way I haven't used up my liver glycogen at this point, and I know what I'm taking in, so I'll just keep at it for now.

Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Man2kx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by legking
    drinking 6L of water...
    This is why you are showing negative. You are perfectly fine. What's the scale say and what does the mirror show?

BTW, the way I figure out is usually a weird taste in my mouth but for certain its the first time you piss out a strange color (very strange orange) in comparison to before. Yours may not even be that orange because of less concentration.
    *****/*****
    Obsession with nutrition starts here.

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Man2kx
    BTW, the way I figure out is usually a weird taste in my mouth but for certain its the first time you piss out a strange color (very strange orange) in comparison to before. Yours may not even be that orange because of less concentration.
    Never had that, except for the neon yellow caused by B vitamins.

coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000) coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000) coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000) coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000) coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000) coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000) coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000) coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000) coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000) coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000) coach Hale is just really nice. (+1000)
    you can definitely be in ketosis and not show on ketostix

varies factors can affect this

coach hale
    coach hale
    www.maxcondition.com
    where practicality meets science

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Quite apart from the amount of water you drink diluting your urine to the point you can't register on ketostix, after a while your body adapts and stops wasting those ketones by pissing them away. Most experienced keto-ers never show unless they are seriously dehydrated.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Eileen
    Most experienced keto-ers never show unless they are seriously dehydrated.
    Chalk me down as one of them.