hockey999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockey999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockey999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockey999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lean Ground Beef

just a question. Do u guys make your beef into hamburgers or what? And is it ok to eat hamburgers if they are made in the oven and not fried.

Also what kind of steaks should i be buying from the stores?

Just trying to switch up my meals since eating chicken and tuna everyday can get boring.

getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i do different things with ground beef but yes hamburgers are fine, no need to bake and no need to fry, meat has its own fat, i highly recommend a cast iron skillet since it will get HOT and stay hot, perfect for getting a nice crust on meat
    "Why would you want to eat a vegetable unless it was wrapped in bacon?" Michael Symon

Alwyn Cosgrove steals other peoples work.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124530811

404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    browned ground beef + 3 scrambled eggs (or 5 egg whites)

browned ground beef with taco seasoning (or fajita seasoning)

browned ground beef solo - or sloppy joe without the sloppy

boiled meat balls + whole wheat pasta

browned ground beef + whole wheat pasta

browned ground beef in your oats (make sure you season the meat before cooking and not too heavily)

lean gb loaf - (day old bread, a couple of eggs & seasoning)

browned ground beef + brown rice (add you own veggie mmmm)

you can make patties - that works

just a few ideas

sirloin steaks (any sirloin meat says it is relatively lean) look for fat. top round beef is good. top round is more expensive. nothing wrong with bottom round. lamb is good. grilled ox tails are good (marinated in a mild marinate of your liking for the Xtra good taste). turkey breast meat from your local store is also good but at $3 a pack - it has got to be taxing on the pocket.
    Last edited by 404gb30044; 12-01-2005 at 08:19 PM.
    "diet today kicked ass.. had steak and oatmeal for breakfast lol..." - Twisted Steal

"...all i have to say is I hope to god everyone weighing 140 has a 6pack" - BOZZ (the vet)

Beef Rockmore to you. colo_beef's Avatar
    colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good ground beef on a whole wheat bun + 1/2 slice cheese
    however, get good beef, it's worth it; natural, not organic, corn fed, not grass fed
    good beef doesn't need marinades & all that crap

steaks: flat iron, sirloin, strip (new york strip); i only grill steaks

http://nakedsteak.com (yes it's safe)
    If you love someone, set them free.
    If they don't come back, call them later when you're drunk.

PRESS ON. Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
    Talent will not; nothing in the world is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
    Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
    Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Calvin Coolidge

hockey999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockey999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockey999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hockey999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    cool thanks for replies guys....you guys are really helpful , this forum is great quick replies

getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000) getgot211 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by colo_beef
    good ground beef on a whole wheat bun + 1/2 slice cheese
    however, get good beef, it's worth it; natural, not organic, corn fed, not grass fed
    good beef doesn't need marinades & all that crap

steaks: flat iron, sirloin, strip (new york strip); i only grill steaks

http://nakedsteak.com (yes it's safe)
    i disagree, first 'natural'? cows are ruminants so calling corn-fed beef natural is odd, as well as the fact that unless going quite lean natural would best be used sparingly...i'll add these

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=778816
    http://eatwild.com/

Originally Posted by getgot211
    Grass silage versus maize silage effects on retail packaged beef quality.

O'Sullivan A, O'Sullivan K, Galvin K, Moloney AP, Troy DJ, Kerry JP.

Department of Food Science, Food Technology and Nutrition, National University of Ireland, Cork.

The effects of three preslaughter diets on heifer beef quality were investigated. Heifers (n = 45) were divided into three groups and fed for ad libitum consumption either maize silage, grass silage, or a 50:50 mixture of maize silage and grass silage. Meat quality was determined by measuring color, lipid oxidation, alpha-tocopherol levels, and fatty acid composition. Beef from the maize silage group had poorest color stability (P < 0.05), whereas beef from the grass silage diet had best (P < 0.05) color stability. The visual panel least preferred the maize silage group after 2 or more days of display, and lipid oxidation was significantly (P < 0.001) higher in this group compared to the 50:50 maize:grass silage and grass silage groups. There was a significant (P < 0.001) difference in the alpha-tocopherol levels detected in the meat from the three dietary groups. Alpha-tocopherol levels increased in the order: maize silage < 50:50 maize:grass silage < grass silage, at levels of 2.08, 2.95, and 3.84 microg/g meat, respectively. Fatty acid analysis indicated 18:3 was significantly (P < 0.001) lower in the maize silage-fed group than in the maize:grass silage and grass silage groups. However, 18:3 was significantly (P < 0.001) higher in the grass silage group than in the other two groups. There were no significant differences in all other fatty acids among the three dietary groups. It was concluded that beef from grass silage-fed animals had better overall quality in terms of color, lipid oxidation, and alpha-tocopherol levels than beef from maize silage fed animals .

The fatty acid composition of muscle fat and subcutaneous adipose tissue of pasture-fed beef heifers: influence of the duration of grazing.

Noci F, Monahan FJ, French P, Moloney AP.

Department of Food Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University College Dublin, Dublin 4, Ireland.

Our objective was to determine the effect of the duration of grazing before slaughter on the fatty acid composition of muscle fat and s.c. adipose tissue (SAT) of beef heifers. Sixty crossbred Charolais heifers (n = 15 per treatment) were assigned randomly to one of four dietary treatments: 45 animals (Treatments 1, 2, and 3, respectively) were housed at the beginning of the experiment, and 15 (Treatment 4) were fed at pasture. Two groups of 15 heifers were moved to pasture 40 d (Treatment 2) and 99 d (Treatment 3) before slaughter, respectively, resulting in preslaughter grazing periods of 0, 40, 99, or 158 d for Treatments 1, 2, 3, and 4, respectively. Before grazing the predominantly perennial ryegrass pasture, animals were housed and offered grass silage ad libitum and 3 kg of concentrate diet (650 g of grass silage/kg of total DMI). After slaughter, the fatty acid profile of the neutral (NL) and polar lipid (PL) fractions of muscle fat from the LM and the total lipids from SAT were analyzed by gas chromatography. Duration of grazing showed a quadratic tendency on mean carcass weight (P = 0.08), but did not affect growth (P = 0.27) or the lipid content (P = 0.13) of the LM. Increasing the duration of grazing led to a linear increase (P < 0.001) in the concentration (on fresh-tissue basis) of CLA in muscle fat (from 11.80 to 17.75 mg/100 g of muscle in NL, and from 0.52 to 0.82 mg/100 of g muscle in PL) and in SAT (from 3.98 to 10.23 mg/g of SAT; P < 0.001), and increased the concentration of C18:1trans-11 in both muscle fat fractions (P < 0.001) and in SAT (P < 0.001). In the total muscle lipids, the polyunsaturated to saturated fatty acid ratio (P:S) increased from 0.12 to 0.15 with increased duration of grazing following a linear (P < 0.05) and cubic pattern (P < 0.05). Increasing the duration of grazing led to a linear decrease in the n-6:n-3 ratio of muscle fat from 2.00 to 1.32 (P < 0.001), and from 2.64 to 1.65 in the SAT lipids (P < 0.001), mainly as a consequence of the increased concentration of C18:3n-3. It is concluded that muscle fat and SAT fatty acid profile was improved from a human health perspective by pasture feeding, and that this improvement depended on the duration of grazing.
    "Why would you want to eat a vegetable unless it was wrapped in bacon?" Michael Symon

colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50) colo_beef will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    DUDE!? I can't taste "color, lipid oxidation, and alpha-tocopherol levels", least don't think i want to
    I've grown up raising cattle and cutting them up, most everyone in the industry thinks corn fed tastes better

i disagree, first 'natural'? cows are ruminants so calling corn-fed beef natural is odd, as well as the fact that unless going quite lean natural would best be used sparingly...i'll add these
    I don't follow 'corn-fed & natural = odd', cattle (steers, heifers, bulls, and cows) have been grazed for a period and finished on corn for ages

Per the USDA and the industry "Natural and Minimally processed" means there are no additives, preservatives, colorings, ... nothing but beef as it came off the carcass

Wal-Mart, for example, adds preservatives & water to their beef, hence the ingredients label, "solution added"
    you're paying beef price for water & salt & what-not

Talent will not; nothing in the world is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.

Calvin Coolidge

404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 404gb30044 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wal-Mart, for example, adds preservatives & water to their beef, hence the ingredients label, "solution added"
    you're paying beef price for water & salt & what-not
    <-- butcher apprentice

i agree with that walmart meat - gross and expensive . i heard it was salt water basically.
    "diet today kicked ass.. had steak and oatmeal for breakfast lol..." - Twisted Steal

"...all i have to say is I hope to god everyone weighing 140 has a 6pack" - BOZZ (the vet)

cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmc0108 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i always take 8 oz of ground beef brown it, and put pepper on it. Then i lay it on a huge plate of greens and top it off with fat free french dressing.

Originally Posted by 404gb30044
    <-- butcher apprentice

i agree with that walmart meat - gross and expensive . i heard it was salt water basically.
    I didn't know anyone was doing apprenticeships anymore. Good for you! Where?

You're right, salt & water. Salt tenderized & preserves; water adds weight ($$).

I will grant that grass-fed beef is higher in omega-3s, but i get that from TUNA baby!
    Corn-fed just tastes so much better, admitedly, it has more fat, but most all that cooks away, esp if you grill

Calvin Coolidge

Originally Posted by cmc0108
    i always take 8 oz of ground beef brown it, and put pepper on it. Then i lay it on a huge plate of greens and top it off with fat free french dressing.
    why do i feel like Homer Simpson having read that, and drooled?
    that sounds SO good

Calvin Coolidge

MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MCJJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

I Don't Get It

forgot to mention:
    added solution (water), say 10%, on a pound of meat, any meat
    ground beef price $3.00 / lb.; you really get 0.90 lb; => $3.33/lb.
    steak @ $8/lb => $8.89/lb real cost

gotta be natural!

Calvin Coolidge

Originally Posted by MCJJ

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tchen&v=glance
    or
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=286168

note: the first is used when the using the other will result in freezing ones balls off, or when one wants to make a pan sauce

or

note: the first is used when the using the other will result in freezing ones balls off, or when one wants to make a pan sauce
    That reminds me of a nother cut, the Rocky Mountain Oysters. Really need to try them. Bruce's in Severance, CO does 'em up right. They have a huge bike rally / "nut run" every fall.
    http://www.windsortribune.com/module...ticle&sid=3106

Calvin Coolidge

2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 2bbig is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That reminds me of a nother cut, the Rocky Mountain Oysters. Really need to try them. Bruce's in Severance, CO does 'em up right. They have a huge bike rally / "nut run" every fall.
    http://www.windsortribune.com/module...ticle&sid=3106
    Some things are just wrong.

SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10) SPAM is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i just cook it up and eat it un-packed with hot sauce and pepper.

Originally Posted by 2bbig
    Some things are just wrong.
    Nah, if they weren't fried, I'd have 'em more often. They're good for what ails you.

"Northern British Columbia"? Wow strong lat-itude

Calvin Coolidge

Not what I use to be..... StrongEnough?'s Avatar
    StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10) StrongEnough? is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hockey999
    just a question. Do u guys make your beef into hamburgers or what? And is it ok to eat hamburgers if they are made in the oven and not fried.

Also what kind of steaks should i be buying from the stores?

Just trying to switch up my meals since eating chicken and tuna everyday can get boring.
    I use lean turkey meat. Makes burgers (forman grill) and meat loaf!

Jumpjackflash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jumpjackflash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I grind up my own meat. This is the only way you can trust what you eat. I learned to do this in Argentina.
    Bodybuilding perfection is like the wind. You know it is there, but you can't ever grasp ahold of it!

The Jack

Originally Posted by 404gb30044
    browned ground beef + 3 scrambled eggs (or 5 egg whites)

browned ground beef with taco seasoning (or fajita seasoning)

browned ground beef solo - or sloppy joe without the sloppy

boiled meat balls + whole wheat pasta

browned ground beef + whole wheat pasta

browned ground beef in your oats (make sure you season the meat before cooking and not too heavily)

lean gb loaf - (day old bread, a couple of eggs & seasoning)

browned ground beef + brown rice (add you own veggie mmmm)

you can make patties - that works

just a few ideas

sorry but what do u mean by browned ground beef? u mean fry them? or oven

JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JamesInLA has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    or

I use this one all the time for indoor grilling ... love it for burgers, chicken breasts, pork chops, steaks etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507