paint94979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Diet and Running

How's it going? long story short i have committed myself to running just a mile a day to get started until my stamina increases... i have dieted before and for me i can't limit myself to 5 different meals like i did before. I have since started eating like this:

Breakfast - 1.Fat Free Yogurt, granola, and blueberry's..., 2.plain oatmeal, 3.egg whites with some ketchup(1g of sugar stuff not much in it)

10am snack - 100% Whey Protein Shake

Lunch - 1.Can of Tuna with or without onions and fat free sour cream... 2.Sliced turkey breast(local market has Low Salt, I usually get that), 3.grilled chicken breast (prepared several ways... cilantro and fresh lime juice, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and some times a little lemon pepper seasoning it is a little high in sodium but not so bad) 4.I will also do a Turkey Sandwich on whole wheat sliced bread, tomato, lettuce, onion and some yellow mustard thats it no cheese.

Snack - Plain bagel or whole wheat bagel with fat free cream cheese usually an hour or so prior to a run, i do sometimes skip this snack if i am not hungry

Dinner - I repeat my lunch but will add in green beans, or a mixed green salad with some lemon juice or a little light Italian dressing

I drink water and only water between 1-1.5 gallons a day some days a little more than others

I am trying to dump some pounds this way... i am a 23 yr old guy about 5"11 235lbs. I will start doing some light and easy weight workouts in time but the reason i am just starting out running every time i start to try and lose weight i hit the gym WAY to hard and the last time i hurt myself and i do not want that to happen again. Let me know what every one thinks. thank you

MP4AU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks ok for weight loss. Make sure to keep protein high while cutting to help prevent muscle loss. I'd drop the yogurt breakfast, it's high in simple sugar carbs and hardly any protein. I'd also drop your pre workout snack. 1 mile doesn't burn many calories at all. Your preworkout snack has more calories in it than you'll burn. I might suggest walking 30 min on a slight incline or elliptical for 30 min as well as your one mile if you really can't run more than a mile. You might consider a ECA pill before you run to help burn more calories. Above all, start lifting weights. It burns calories, preserves/ builds muscle, and helps raise metabolism. So you really cant go wrong with lifting. Otherwise, keep it up. If you keep eating right and exercising you'll be dropping weight in no time.

Ejay8400 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you say you injured yoursefin the gym... Rememberthat running easily gives you injuries aswell, so invest in some good shoes! Take it from someone who has just recovered from infected achilles on both feet from running.
    "It ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward! THATS HOW WINNING IS DONE!"

BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BLab5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    MP already, said, edit the afternoon snack: ditch the bagels.

seeing is how your planning on only running 1 mile, it will be a waste of calories to commit to a bagel/cream cheese.

if i could recommend a running program for you: Cool Running Couch to 5k. Its a great program that will allow you to get into running w/out pushing you too hard. I think you will burn more calories and be able to get more out of running than just a 1 mile per day. Its a great program to do on the treadmill(b/c of the time/speed intervals), but if you can do it outside, i recommend using http://www.gmap-****meter.com/ to figure out your running route.

also, have you figured out your calorie profile and what you need to shoot for on a cut? there are varying takes on it, some simply figure their maintenance levels and always stay 500 cals below that. reason I ask is: looking at your diet plan, there are days where I could not eat what you eat and stay below my calorie level. i'm 6'2" and 233 and my calorie limit right now is about 1,700/day.

as stated, lifting weights is great, but be smart. don't let your ego get in your way when you are lifting 20lbs next to a guy who is lifting 50lbs. you will get there eventually, it will just take time. don't try to do it all at once...or you'll hurt yourself(again).

best of luck. (i'm not authority on the subject, just letting your know from my experience)

paint94979 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Ejay8400 View Post
    you say you injured yoursefin the gym... Rememberthat running easily gives you injuries aswell, so invest in some good shoes! Take it from someone who has just recovered from infected achilles on both feet from running.
    I was lifting... did something to my nerves started out in my left arm and after another lifting session it also went into my left leg. Doctors diagnosed it as "Neural Tension" took me about 6 months of physical therapy to fix it. I also wasn't doing anything very heavy, i am guessing it was from a weak core and the added weight caused my body to get thrown out of wack

kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by MP4AU View Post
    Looks ok for weight loss. Make sure to keep protein high while cutting to help prevent muscle loss. I'd drop the yogurt breakfast, it's high in simple sugar carbs and hardly any protein. I'd also drop your pre workout snack. 1 mile doesn't burn many calories at all. Your preworkout snack has more calories in it than you'll burn. I might suggest walking 30 min on a slight incline or elliptical for 30 min as well as your one mile if you really can't run more than a mile. You might consider a ECA pill before you run to help burn more calories. Above all, start lifting weights. It burns calories, preserves/ builds muscle, and helps raise metabolism. So you really cant go wrong with lifting. Otherwise, keep it up. If you keep eating right and exercising you'll be dropping weight in no time.
    Don't drop yogurt in the morning. I love that meal. I have it a lot. With the oatmeal you want some more protein. You are a big guy who needs a lot more protein than you are letting yourself have. I'd start higher on your calorie intake. It looks like your eating less than 1500 calories. A typical male should not have less than 1800 calories in a day. You will probably lose weight around 2400 calories a day with a higher protein intake and a higher carb intake. Weights and cardio together are best. You'll hit a wall only doing one, and by only doing cardio you'll burn up some muscle as well if you don't lift.

Also running EVERY day is too much. 5 days a week is plenty. Never do more than six days in a week of exercise. The body needs rest. You probably only need .5-.6 grams of protein per pound of body weight in your diet at the moment.

kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kmac27 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by BLab5 View Post
    MP already, said, edit the afternoon snack: ditch the bagels.

seeing is how your planning on only running 1 mile, it will be a waste of calories to commit to a bagel/cream cheese.

if i could recommend a running program for you: Cool Running Couch to 5k. Its a great program that will allow you to get into running w/out pushing you too hard. I think you will burn more calories and be able to get more out of running than just a 1 mile per day. Its a great program to do on the treadmill(b/c of the time/speed intervals), but if you can do it outside, i recommend using http://www.gmap-****meter.com/ to figure out your running route.

also, have you figured out your calorie profile and what you need to shoot for on a cut? there are varying takes on it, some simply figure their maintenance levels and always stay 500 cals below that. reason I ask is: looking at your diet plan, there are days where I could not eat what you eat and stay below my calorie level. i'm 6'2" and 233 and my calorie limit right now is about 1,700/day.

as stated, lifting weights is great, but be smart. don't let your ego get in your way when you are lifting 20lbs next to a guy who is lifting 50lbs. you will get there eventually, it will just take time. don't try to do it all at once...or you'll hurt yourself(again).

best of luck. (i'm not authority on the subject, just letting your know from my experience)
    At your height and weight portion size is the biggest factor and just making sure protein is in every meal. No need to starve yourself. If your stomach is grumbling eat something no matter what. If your stomach isn't grumbling wait a bit or drink a glass of water and see if your still hungry.