FitHopeful has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Anti-depressants and weight loss

First time poster and loooooooong time lurker. The search function has most definitely been my best friend.

For about 3 years I had been taking 20 mg of Lexapro for "social anxiety." Within the last couple of months I've weened myself off them by cutting my dosage to the point where I haven't taken Lexapro in any form in the last week(I still have minor withdrawls in the form of dizziness but it's nothing I can't handle).

As part of my personal reformation, I've gone from lifting exclusively to 4 days of low intensity, 45 minute cardio. In the last 3 days or so, I've experienced some fairly drastic weight loss(I've lost 3-4 lbs in 3 days) despite the fact that I'm closely monitoring my caloric intake and exercise.

My question is, how much will dropping Lexapro increase my weight loss?

I know there are studies that show anti-depressants like Lexapro cause weight gain (I believe that was a contributing factor to my personal weight gain - I went from around 165 to a high of 215 in the last 3-4 years), but I'm curious if it affects weight loss and whether this sort of "quick" loss could be a result of finally flushing my system of this crap?

Thanks and sorry for the long-winded post.

PS: I'm the last person to give someone advice on mood altering drugs, but if you're considering something like Lexapro, make sure you don't make the mistake that I did and know what sort of side-effects you can expect from such drugs. For me, self-confidence has improve my anxiety more than large doses of Lexapro ever did.

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FitHopeful
    My question is, how much will dropping Lexapro increase my weight loss?
    Lexapro is an SSRI, and as such is not considered to be addictive. There can be come symptoms of withdrawal. You hsould only stop taking it on a doctors advice.

I dont think taking/not taking Lexapro will have much affect of weight loss. However there are various studies that show mild exercise improves serotinin levels & depression/anxiety symptoms.

I'd stick with the cardio, it does wonders for weight loss for me too. Losing weight will tend to impove esteem.