sshibilia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

dislocated shoulder...what to do?

i started working out religiously about six of months ago and have been taking it very serious. i have lost around 40 pounds of fat, probably more due to the gained muscle. i have mad a lot of gains. for example i went from the 45's on dumbbell chest presses to 85's. for a clean 3 sets of 8. but i dislocated my shoulder at work 2 weeks ago. i dunno what the best thing for me to do it. when i get back to the gym will i be able to go at it as hard as i was before...after going through physical therapy?

i was thinking that i would just do cardio 5 days a week until i can go back to the gym to get rid of the last 15-20 pounds that i need to lose to get a 6 pack...hopefully...and then when i can go back just start packing on the muscle again? sound like a good idea? what would u reccomend?

TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you dislocated your shoulder and only need physical therapy? Im surprised there wasnt labrum involvement. did you see a ortho or just a pt?

cardio sounds good just try not to lose muscle mass, take it nice and slow.
    --Top Secret Nutrition gets TerpMuscle and his gf back on track!--
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162841961

Gluta-Tren Log -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144285241&p=871267361#post871267361

i went to the orthopedic and she said that i would probably start some physical therapy next week (3ish weeks after the incident) and that her goal is to get me back to lifting like normal and everything being normal again

i think the way it happned it didn't hurt me too bad....it didn't pull out and pull down it pulled out and went down then it slid over toward my arm pit. so i assume there was just a lot of muscle stretching. maybe i got lucky

it does seem like its already healing alot faster and better than the doctor made it seem like. she told my parents that i wasnt going to be able to type, or to put on my own shoes and socks, or tie my shoes etc. which as of 4 or 5 days after the accident i can do all of

any labrum tearing would be able to be seen in an MRI. correct. and if it wasn't torn or harmed then that would mean that I will heal back to 100% normal. because when the labrum tears that is what causes the shoulder to be more susceptible to future dislocations...right?

Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mr. Chainsaw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For me, it was about 2 months before exercises with light weight didn't result in excruciating pain. It took about 4-5 months total before I was back to where I was pre-injury. The ortho actually told me I could go back as soon as I felt like it, but to avoid certain exercises. He didn't recommend physical therapy or anything. Well, basically every exercise that involved using my arms hurt, so I just stopped going. When I got back into the gym, I was using the 5-10lb. dumbbells and the machines a lot. Eventually most of the pain went away, and as it did I slowly went heavier.

TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TerpMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sshibilia View Post
    any labrum tearing would be able to be seen in an MRI. correct. and if it wasn't torn or harmed then that would mean that I will heal back to 100% normal. because when the labrum tears that is what causes the shoulder to be more susceptible to future dislocations...right?
    Yes any labrum tearing would be visible on an MRI. if the labrum is torn the shoulder is over 80% likely to have future dislocations or subluxations and with each injury after that the number goes up. If you dislocated your shoulder and had no tearing then yes, you are very lucky. the 4-5 days isnt necessarily true. both times i dislocated my shoulder i couldnt lift my arm overhead for almost 2 weeks and sleeping on that side was very uncomfortable. maybe you had a subluxation, which is maybe why the labrum wasnt torn?
    --Top Secret Nutrition gets TerpMuscle and his gf back on track!--
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162841961

Gluta-Tren Log -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144285241&p=871267361#post871267361

if it was a subluxation does that mean that it will eventually be back as good as new

BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's easier to spot a labral tear when using a MRI with arthrogram. They inject contrast into your shoulder.

if it was a subluxation does that mean that it will eventually be back as good as new
    No. It could be, it couldn't be. If your shoulder subluxates again -- game over

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    With a dislocation, you are more looking at damage to the capsule, which is usally apparent from MRI.

However, MRI not necessary as the fucntional stability of the shoulder is more important than the MRI finding. If there is ongoing instability or problems, then MRI is indicated.

Early moblisation of the shoulder, and not jus 6 weeks in a sling, can be very successful in returning the shoudler to normal function.

So yes, the shoulder should be able to return to normal function, with correct rehab, in about 3 - 6 months.

If not, then there might be something to investigate.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Suffers from mazophilia RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    sorry to hi-jack your thread, but if there is a labrum tear, where does one go from there? Surgery?
    Ravens fan and Gators fan 4 life

***Florida Gators Crew***

i can answer that one...my doctor went over that with me....she siad the labrum could tear, break, and completely rip off. if it tears you would most likely wait to for it to repair itself. and if it can't, then surgery. if it is broken probably surgery, and if it is off then surgery.....basically thats the guideline

and FRESCH what do u mean by

Early moblisation of the shoulder, and not jus 6 weeks in a sling, can be very successful in returning the shoudler to normal function.

do u mean starting to use the shoulder as soon as possible rather than leaving it in a sling....because i have been using my more and more day by day since about 2 or 3 days after dislocation.

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes.
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10) BradleyS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i can answer that one...my doctor went over that with me....she siad the labrum could tear, break, and completely rip off. if it tears you would most likely wait to for it to repair itself. and if it can't, then surgery. if it is broken probably surgery, and if it is off then surgery.....basically thats the guideline
    if your labrum is torn, it will not repair it self!

You'll know if it is torn soon enough...

Do the PT as directed, return to normal as directed, see if the shoulder stays

Natural born world shaker Joezilla's Avatar
    Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joezilla will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i dont have any scientific answers but ive dislocated my shoulders 3 times and broken my scapula once (mountain biking)

ive found the best way to heal quickly is swimming, its low impact and it strengthens the tissue around the joint and pulls i tback together, my shoulder would fall out of socket at random for a couple weeks, after that alot of swimming and i was lifting again not long after.

update

the doctor said that my rotator cuff was fine i think i didn't get too bad of a dislocation..

8===D~~~~ (.) (.) p0opstlnksal0t's Avatar
    p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) p0opstlnksal0t has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just take it easy and try some rotator excersizes. ive dislocated both of my shoulders numerous times, once its been dislocated it almost never goes back to normal, and it will be easier to dislocate next time.
    MY PROGRESS PICS 330lbs-50%bf to 225lbs 19.5%bf
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2233281

Im Back!!! with progress pics... 330lbs to 230lbs.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2112301

is there any supplements i can take to help keep the tendons and cartilage strong...maybe glucosamine and chrodointin

i read that keeping your rotator cuff muscles strong can play a huge role in helping to prevent another dislocation.... true?

i read that keeping your rotator cuff muscles strong can play a huge role in helping to prevent another dislocation.... true?

That, along with correct shoulder posture!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bondi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.ori.org.au/bonejoint/shou...troduction.htm

Here's an ortho intro to dislocation.

The majority of the time the ligaments are stretched and not torn. It really depends on how you did it too.

It's happened to both my Dad and my brother, it does take months to get better. Brother had an operation broke his collarbone in the accident too. My Dad's got better by itself.

Getting basic movement back is important, and doing light strengthening movement. Chances of it redislocating are very high, so being a little apprehensive and taking it gradually is normal. If you do dislocate again, you'll quickly realise which movement it was that caused it, usually arm flexion (lifting your arm above your head)

Hope the link gives you the right idea. Better to educate yourself.
    Currently trying to substantiate these claims:
    Originally Posted by Fresch
    By the way..
    Degree in Physiotherapy
    Research in Masters of Sports Physiotherapy on core muscle stabilisation.
    11 years in private practice.
    AND..
    Originally Posted by Fresch
    Oh, I have 20 years of real clinical experience, not a few years of academia... Having had a patient list of over 7000 people.

chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) chronicelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    This is an excellent thread guys, my brother dislocated his shoulder and I am taking all of this information to heart!! I will let him know what I have learned here thanks so much guys. I feel guilty because he will DB military pressing and I thought he had it..... but he didnt, so he went to throw the weights and the weight caught his hand and extended it back behind his head and popped it out. I had never seen him (a big tough looking guy) in SO MUCH PAIN. I will suggest swimming!

scp1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Core Exercises

Hi guys,

This thread has been really insightful. I dislocated my shoulder a few weeks ago and was wondering if I could go back to do abs (core) exercises? And if yes are there specific exercises that should be avoided?

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    9 year old zombie thread, why? If you dislocated your shoulder you probably messed up your labrum somewhat. Go get it checked out by an Orthopedic Surgeon and then go from there.