Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Joelio36 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question Complete aerobic overhaul

I'm 16, and 4 years ago I started weight training with no cardio. Now I've started playing rugby, and whilst I'm stronger than most when I'm fresh, after 15 minutes on the pitch I'm getting thrown around because I'm so tired.

I realise I made a BIG mistake building anaerobic fitness ontop of a weak aerobic base, and now I'm going to try and fix this problem.

My first question how much strength, power, muscular endurance (pull ups, dips, etc) am I likely to lose if I start an aerobic program with minimal anaerobic work?

And second, I anyone is kind enough, could you give me a program to follow or a good link on developing a solid aerobic base?

And finally, my fitness goal is it be able to run the whole match, with 30metre sprints every 45 seconds (eventually, I realise this will take time); does this type of fitness rely heavily on anaerobic systems? (because although it is over a long period, there are intense bouts of effort)

And any tips at all on getting fitter and overcoming this fatigue would be really appreciated.

soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Joelio36 View Post
    I'm 16, and 4 years ago I started weight training with no cardio. Now I've started playing rugby, and whilst I'm stronger than most when I'm fresh, after 15 minutes on the pitch I'm getting thrown around because I'm so tired.

I realise I made a BIG mistake building anaerobic fitness ontop of a weak aerobic base, and now I'm going to try and fix this problem.

My first question how much strength, power, muscular endurance (pull ups, dips, etc) am I likely to lose if I start an aerobic program with minimal anaerobic work?

And second, I anyone is kind enough, could you give me a program to follow or a good link on developing a solid aerobic base?

And finally, my fitness goal is it be able to run the whole match, with 30metre sprints every 45 seconds (eventually, I realise this will take time); does this type of fitness rely heavily on anaerobic systems? (because although it is over a long period, there are intense bouts of effort)

And any tips at all on getting fitter and overcoming this fatigue would be really appreciated.
    try GPP (general physical preparedness)

soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) soccergod has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Joelio36 View Post

and if you eat enough you probably wont lose any strength.

if you dont wanna have to make your own schedule you cant use ws4sb3 strength and speed template

kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000) kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000) kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000) kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000) kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000) kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000) kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000) kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000) kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000) kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000) kevn594 is just really nice. (+1000)
    why not continue with anaerobic activity while slowly building your aerobic base?
    Growing like a weed

MikeyBob365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeyBob365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeyBob365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeyBob365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeyBob365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeyBob365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Walter Paiton (bears), and Wilbert Montgomery (eagles) HATED each other, and they would run up and down a hill neither of them would give up, just straight on sprinting. People would join in and try to keep up with them... of course it was pretty difficult for them!

But before you do the hills you might want to run [not full speed, but a nice pace] a mile just for a warm up, take a three minute break. Since you're beginning, you might want to do 30-40 minutes sprinting up hill then striding downhill. After you do the hills take another quick break and go for another mile, this time push yourself! Because that will help you're stamina, and in rugby you'll really need that!

JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    fartlek??????????(helps both)

FullChris has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fertleks can be good sometimes, GPP is a great idea! Honestly, if you are trying to increase your stamina, you need to run.

Kevin had a good idea...slowly increase your aerobic training while you keep strength training.

However, do not run 1 mile warm ups and cool downs...complete waste of time for your sport. You need to really think about how your sport is played and try to emulate that when you train. Yes, stamina is important and you will increase that with short bursts. Running for distance is generally not a good idea for any kind of explosive power sports. I can find references if need be, but I am tired and want to go to bed! haha If you have questions about what to run you can message me off of here...I don't check this too often.

Hope that helps

Chris
    Chris Gooden, M.A., CSCS, USAW, NSCA-CPT

killermony has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killermony has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killermony has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    rugby does not consist of long distance runs so you should not train that way. you said that it invovles jogging followed by quick bursts and that is one goodway to train. maybe something like sprint 40 meters slowly jog 60m then repeat and do that for a few laps around a track.