Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaolin monks

gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Lightbulb Shaolin monks

Ok these are the craziest mother****ers in the entire world. Heres some of the things they do:

All of this training starts at 5-6 years old
    1. do headstands for 1 hour a day
    2. get 5 ppl to ram your head into a sand bag (punching bag type thing) for 2 hours straight
    3. punch a wall for 2 hours a day. if the wall crumbles, replace the wall
    4. hold a spear against your neck and run up against it and break it with your chi
    5. meditate for hours in the most uncomfortable positions
    6. slap freezing cold water in the cold for 2 hours a day
    7. stretch your joints to the maximum capacity
    8. pour boiling water on you when your meditating
    9. hang yourself for 3 minutes by a rope
    10. stand for hours in a horse stance over sharp sticks with bowls of water on your head, 1 in each outstreched arm, and 1 on each knee
    11. maintain a strict vegetarian diet
    12. lay over a spear and hold your body up for minutes
    13. get karate chopped on the head for hours
    14. stick your fingers in beans for hours (incredibly painful because your fingers are SUPER sensitive and it feels like fire)
    15. crumble pebbles with your grip
    16. stand on poles and fight for hours
    17. do 1 finger handstands for minutes!!!! ****ING IMPOSSIBLE, ONLY ATTAINED BY ONE PERSON IN HISTORY. HE DIED IN 1989.
    18. practice 2 finger pushups for 2 hours a day
    19. walk with bricks on your feet so you can jump high as hell
    20. slap a sandbag atleast 2,000 times a day
    21. turn your legs in 180 degree angles (normal human is 90 degrees)
    22. punch a candle flame for 2 hours a day. try to put it out with the wind from your punch. if it goes out, relight it.
    23. throw needles through glass.
    24. break iron over your head
    25. karate chop bricks
    26. break rocks with your feet
    27. break sticks over your body: arms, legs, nuts, stomach, back, throat, forhead, you name it.
    28. climb a mountain with steps that takes an ordinary man 1 hr 30 mins to climb in 20 mins. after your climbed it, crawl down the steps on your hands and knees.
    29. lift stuff with your teeth until you can lift a bycicle with them
    30. drag stuff with your nuts until you can drag 250kg
    31. have 5 people punch you in the neck at the same time. as hard as they can.
    32. THEY TAKE BLOWS TO THE STOMACH WITH A ****ING AXE AND ARE UNHARMED
    33. they wash their face with glass
    34. place 2 blocks, one over your head and one under, and smash them with sludge-hammer.
    35. repeat 34 except on your chest and stomach

"The incredible feats of the Shaolin kungfu is the result of the incredible tempering. Just as the sharpness of a treasured sword comes from diligent whetting, the fragrance of the plum blossom is the result of undergoing the bitter winter. The kungfu monks of the Shaolin Temple are very particular about their exercise in the inclement cold of winter and the hottest day of the summer. Whatever the weather, they are seen practicing hard when the rooster crows in the morning, and they return to their bedroom when the moon is already up in the evening. They devoted all their energy to the hard training of the basic kungfu. During the snowy depth of winter, they would wear nothing on the upper part of the body while climbing the mountain. Along the 1000m long mountains path, they jump and crawl down. Under the scorching sun of mid-summer, they would be fully dressed and jump onto the pile tops, and they would lift the 50kg stone locks for countless times, until sweating allover. With a pole horizontally stretched, the monks can lie down comfortably thereon. With a log planted in the ground, the monks would dash their heads against it to train the iron-head kungfu. Even the rim of iron cauldron or bamboo crate could become the site for training their light kungfu and a small water pool or even a pot of water are where they exercise the palm kungfu. They exercise kungfu when eating, when sleeping and when walking. Even in the course of pouring water and making tea, they are training kungfu. They practise the kungfu of breaking a bowl with one finger. They use chopsticks to train the kungfu of stabbing the throat with bamboo stick. They get up at dawn and, when they are sweeping the courtyard, they waving the fans to alleviate the heat, they train their iron-fan kungfu. The cook chops the food on his own stomach. If they have some walnuts, they would crack them with their heads...... How tough and tenacious the Shaolin monks are! It is extremely auduous exercise in the most difficult environment that has rendered it possible for the monks to attain a state which the common people cannot attain."

http://www.namyang.co.uk/learn-marti...g-pictures.php

A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    And even after all that, it's ironic that they'd get their asses handed to them by any amateur boxer or grappler worth their salt.
    Every journey begins with a single step.

runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250) runjumpthrow has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Wasn't David Carradine a Shaolin monk in the "Kung Fu" TV series?

I loved that show when I was a kid...

gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gr8fubar420 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by A & B
    And even after all that, it's ironic that they'd get their asses handed to them by any amateur boxer or grappler worth their salt.
    ROFL. Do you know why they do these things? to train to fight. they can use any body part as a weapon. they are faster and tougher and more flexible and stronger than them. they train to feel no pain and function under terrible conditions. for instance they practice hanging by their necks to get out of headlocks, punching a wall for hours so their fist is strong as steel, headbutting things so their heads are up to 4x as strong as an ordinary person and they can think under that stress, they train 24/7 so their attacks are subcontious. every single part of life is training for them. they train for the most effective breathing and striking.

StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000) StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000) StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000) StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000) StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000) StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000) StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000) StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000) StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000) StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000) StoneJaw is a name known to all. (+5000)

Yea sure....Cause boxers and grapplers are even hardcore enough to wash their faces with glass.....

These monks would pwn mike tyson...
    5'10"
    183 lbs
    8% bodyfat

A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by gr8fubar420
    ROFL. Do you know why they do these things? to train to fight. they can use any body part as a weapon. they are faster and tougher and more flexible and stronger than them. they train to feel no pain and function under terrible conditions. for instance they practice hanging by their necks to get out of headlocks, punching a wall for hours so their fist is strong as steel, headbutting things so their heads are up to 4x as strong as an ordinary person and they can think under that stress, they train 24/7 so their attacks are subcontious. every single part of life is training for them. they train for the most effective breathing and striking.
    *sigh*

You've been watching too many movies and buy into too much myth. Yeah I've seen them do crazy stuff, demonstrations and so forth. Yeah they do lots of seemingly incredible stunts and see very tough.

Never the less, how many MMA fighters train in Kung Fu??? I'm a big MMA fan and I've trained myself in several grappling arts, and I can tell you from personal experience that the answer is zero. MMA (mixed martial arts) is the most unrestricted sanctioned fighting anywhere, and trust me, nobody trains in kung fu. None of these little monks would last 1 round against pro-mma fighters, not even close. It's actually kind of a running joke in the mma/nhb world.

This is the difference between traditional martial arts (karate, tae kwon do, kung fu, capoeira...) and practical martial arts (boxing, thai boxing, brazilian jiu jitsu, sambo...) Traditional martial arts are really impressive looking, and do lots of really cool stuff. But they are not practical for real fighting situations.

These traditional martial arts were exposed during the early years of MMA in North America, Europe and especially Japan. These guys were dominated and destroyed by wrestlers, boxers, kickboxers and particularly BJJ (brazilian jiu-jitsu) practitioners like the Gracies. Don't think these Kung Fu fighters haven't tried, the have, and they've got knocked the **** out.

There aren't really any full contact or Kung Fu tournaments, or NHB (no holds barred) tournaments. A martial art can very accurately be judged by this. Unless you train under practial fighting conditions (full contact, standing + ground fighting, few rules) your art is incomplete and vulnerable. This is why MMA fighters train in a variety of styles and diciplines.

It's as simple as this. Kung Fu is great for excercise, flexibility, heath, spirituality, physical fitness and really cool looking stunts. But it is not a practical fighting art, period. Kung fu fighters and monks would, and have, get the **** beat out of them in a hurry.

Watch all these kung fu techniques, they look great I know.

But it's simple body mechanics. Their punches and kicks are designed to be fast and cool. All these off balance stances, high flying blows, spin moves, trapping, blocking styles, animal styles, finger strikes... all very impractical techniques. Very impractical. Like I said, traditional and meant to look cool, but they have very little value under real fight condition, this has been demonstrated time and time again.

Kung Fu guys train to do tricks and stunts like you described, and yes, it's very tough and very impressive. MMA fighters, boxers, grapplers, train to beat the living **** out of people. That's the difference.

Of all those things you mentioned above in the original post, I'll admit they seem very tough and hard and impressive (though I will say, that some of them appear to be myths instead of practice), but how many of them have anything to do with fighting another human being? Don't go getting the impression that these guys are indestructible. If a person gets hits in the chin hard enough, no matter how 'tough' they are, they will be KO'd. There is no way to train this reflex, or make it stronger, it is physiologically determined.

I'm sorry, but this is all really quite funny to me. I've been involved with mixed martial arts for years, and I'm not used to people taking things like Kung Fu seriously. Like I said, it's something of a running joke in the MMA world, a myth like spot reduction is in the bodybuilding world.

If you want to see what actually professional full contact fighting looks like PM me, I'll be more than happy to provide you with some links I can't post here. Organizations like Pride Fighting Championships (Japanese equivalent of UFC) are the best in the world. You will find the best martial artists in the world fighting there. UFC (which IMO is inferior to Pride) is a top notch organization for MMA fighting. That is what real fighting looks like, that is what world class martial artists look like (if you consider wrestling, boxing martial arts as well).
    Last edited by A & B; 11-24-2005 at 12:20 AM.

The basic argument is not whether or not these monks have a effective fighting style. Because if not then nepal, and tibet would not have been able to defend their civilizations years ago. The fighting style is power, that is not the question. Their knowledge of pressure points, speed, power, and the ability to take a hit without any marks makes them crazy. They can take a ****ing axe to the abs with no blood. If you think that a simple punch to the face is harder than a sludgehammer or 5 ppl hitting you in the neck at the same time, think again. you would have to see a master fight a pro MMA guy because masters are the most skilled.

the shaolin practice since they are 5 yrs old, how long have mma been practicing? so who is more skilled because of subcontious attacks?

Shaolin Kung-Fu has been around a lot longer than MMA... i think the Chinese have had time to develop what works!

shaolin takes alot longer to master and it sucks if you havent mastered it. if you put a guy that has trained mma for 1 yr vs a guy that has trained shaolin for 1 year the mma guy will dominate him but if you put a master of shaolin vs a master of mma the master will win.
    Last edited by gr8fubar420; 11-24-2005 at 12:40 AM.

The basic argument is not whether or not these monks have a effective fighting style. Because if not then nepal, and tibet would not have been able to defend their civilizations years ago. The fighting style is power, that is not the question. Their pressure points, super speed, super power, and the ability to take a hit without any marks makes them crazy. They can take a ****ing axe to the abs with no blood. If you think that a simple punch to the face is harder than a sludgehammer or 5 ppl hitting you in the neck at the same time, think again.
    Oh my poor friend. You have seriously been watching too many movies. How old are you? I'm not trying to sound patronizing, but you are buying into pure fantasy. Don't tell me they don't bleed when they get hit with an axe ok?

Read my posts alright. This isn't supposed to be a debate, it is a well established fact that arts like Kung Fu have very little practical value.

There are many different arts which seem very impressive, and can accomplish seemingly superhuman feats. But when the money is down, and these guys actually fight another man, time and time again, arts like Kung Fu get beat down. I've seen it over and over again man. Believe me when I say, this notion that these monks are invicible is legend, fantasy, myth and nothing more.

This is hilarious to me, I'll have to post it over at www.sherdog.com, a MMA site.

Allow me to put this in context for you. This Kung Fu stuff is the equivalent of me posting about how you can achieve a Jay Cutler physique by using ankle weights or the bow flex. Yes, it's actually that rediculous.
    Last edited by A & B; 11-24-2005 at 12:36 AM.

Last edited by gr8fubar420; 11-24-2005 at 12:48 AM.

karmazon is just really nice. (+1000) karmazon is just really nice. (+1000) karmazon is just really nice. (+1000) karmazon is just really nice. (+1000) karmazon is just really nice. (+1000) karmazon is just really nice. (+1000) karmazon is just really nice. (+1000) karmazon is just really nice. (+1000) karmazon is just really nice. (+1000) karmazon is just really nice. (+1000) karmazon is just really nice. (+1000)
    i heard they can shoot fireballs out of their hands and jump 40 feet

reread my post above yours

http://www.namyang.co.uk/learn-marti...g-pictures.php

thats the axe.

post the topic link at sherdog i wanna see what they say
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showth...81#post7558481

Well, like I said, Kung Fu is very impressive, and they've got lots of parlour tricks for show, apparently that axe thing too.

But I don't know how to explain this to you any better, Kung Fu is simply not a practical fighting style.

There is a reason why guys like these monks don't compete in NHB fighting. Same goes for all these world champion, 19th degree black belts in arts like TKD, Capoeira... Because they have built their whole lives and reputations on being this huge invincible badass. Their life's work would be destroyed when they got mauled in an MMA arena.

what if a shaolin monk trained in mma for a couple of years? would he be unstoppable due to pain tolerance?

Shaolin monks are ACTUALLY masters. Their whole life is martial arts, they only break to eat and sleep. They have no outside life. They can jump 6-7 feet high. Shaolin masters are not affected by pain like a normal person and they have super high endurance.
    Last edited by gr8fubar420; 11-24-2005 at 01:14 AM.

what if a shaolin monk trained in mma for a couple of years? would he be unstoppable due to pain tolerance?
    It doesn't really have anything to do with pain threashold. If you get hit in the chin hard enough, you will go out, no matter how tough you are. If somebody has a choke sunk in on you, you will go out, no matter how tough you are. If somebody has you in an armbar, you either tap out, or your arm breaks. (Though, there are exceptions, like Antonio Nogueira, who it seems, cannot be KO'd, he's a freak of nature.)

I'm not saying these guys aren't tough. They are probably mentally and physically very, very tough. But Kung Fu simply does not offer very many good techniques.

But I have no doubt that if some of these buys started training in styles like kickboxing/wrestling... they would make great fighters.

Good fighters are born, not made. You have to be born with the toughness it takes, some of these guys obviously have it.

Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Taffin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    "Cruelty has a human heart, every man does play his part." -Iron Maiden, "Paschendale"

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

"but why make a topic to see other people get mad? answer that question. is this your life that you stay on the computer for hours and make a topic to see other people get mad. then if you do then u have no life. move out of your parents hose and read a book called noob"

Location: Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Taffin
    Thats not Shaolin Kung Fu. You guys do know there are different types of Kung Fu right? Popular kung fu styles include Bagua Zhang (Pa Kua Chang), Choy Li Fut, Drunken boxing, Eagle Claw Kung Fu, Hsing I (Xing Yi), Hung Gar (Hongjia), Shuai Chiao (Shuaijiao), Monkey Kung Fu, Praying Mantis Kung Fu (Tanglang Quan), Shaolin, White Crane, Wing Chun and T'ai Chi Ch'uan.

And the reason true Shaolin monks don't fight in MMA is because they are taught to only use their art when in real life danger. The stuff you see on shows like 'The Wheel Of Life' is all just training.

And no, if you really knew the degree of Shaolin, you wouldn't say they'd get their ass handed to them. I can't stand people that generalise one fighting style to another.

There are boxers that can beat MMA. There are MMA that can beat Shaolin. There are Shaolin that can beat MMA and visa versa to all links possible. Martial arts depends not only on the person who has been taught, but also the rules in combat.
    - NOTICE: Not all posts represent my own opinion. I enjoy playing devil's advocate.

Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    can someone post cliffnotes ie.

pros for monks winning

pros for mmas winning.

Official Board Barbarian The Kurgan's Avatar
    The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) The Kurgan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    11. maintain a strict vegetarian diet
    I call bull on that one! The others, ok, MAYBE, but that? It's just a bunch of smoke and mirrors!
    "... like a spring storm in an eastern wind, retiring only to return with more fury."

- James Hogg

~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~Serpent~ will become famous soon enough. (+50)

You cant compare Shaolin training with a modern martial sport with rules. Obviously they will get owned if they fight an MMA fighter under set rules.

Ancient fighting arts were meant for real life or death survival. Weapons training, mental training, empty handed combat, grappling, philosophy were all just as important in the development of a warrior. This is how the samurai or the noble knights of europe would train. It was part of warfare.

Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Chopperreid has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by ~Serpent~
    You cant compare Shaolin training with a modern martial sport with rules. Obviously they will get owned if they fight an MMA fighter under set rules.

Ancient fighting arts were meant for real life or death survival. Weapons training, mental training, empty handed combat, grappling, philosophy were all just as important in the development of a warrior. This is how the samurai or the noble knights of europe would train. It was part of warfare.
    exactly the reason kungfuers dont do mma, is because eye gouging, face pulls, headbutts, groin attacks etc.(the most effective techniques) are banned.

if they were allowed mma winners would be whichever is lucky enough to get an eye or groin attack first.

all vital attacks are banned are they not.

Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    1) fact #1- you can not possibly get hit with an ax full force ( sharp part) and not bleed.

fact #2- they would get destroyed in an MMA match. end of story, its all for show.

Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Desahogo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

9. hang yourself for 3 minutes by a rope
    not by the neck.
    13. get karate chopped on the head for hours
    not full force. its PHYSICALLY impossible, their pain threshold might be higher than other people, but they are not aliens.

23. throw needles through glass.
    what?
    24. break iron over your head
    not possible, im sorry.

http://www.humankinetics.com/product...xcerpt_id=3398

Myth 7
    Today’s Shaolin monks in China represent traditional Shaolin skills development and combat training.

Fact
    The latest craze of acrobatic stunts to impress onlookers stems from the film industry’s romanticization of combat training and the advancement of wushu performances for athletic competitions. They serve to entertain. If there is any truth to this myth, it only begins to take shape and form in the past 10 years when the communist government decided to restore training at the temple in support of a groundswell of popularity over kung fu movies and implications of their Shaolin roots. In truth, the most knowledgeable Shaolin teachers fled communist oppression to the Western world over 40 years ago. The real knowledge of traditional Shaolin as practiced and developed over the past 15 centuries is now spread (and fragmented) across the globe. A few truly dedicated teachers have humbly traveled extensively to study from numerous teachers and lineages in an attempt to piece the fragments back into a whole science.

These myths continue to confuse legitimate research into Chinese Kung Fu history. Their impact has been greatly magnified with the advent of the Internet. It is time to put them to rest and get on with legitimate research using traditional methods reviewed and challenged by competent research authorities. Once these myths are dispelled, a proper distillation of the true treasures of Shaolin Kung Fu is possible.

DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DinoT1985 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Desahogo
    not possible, im sorry.
    Yes it is possible.
    - NOTICE: Not all posts represent my own opinion. I enjoy playing devil's advocate.

1) fact #1- you can not possibly get hit with an ax full force ( sharp part) and not bleed.

fact #2- they would get destroyed in an MMA match. end of story, its all for show.
    You just love throwing your opinions around like facts dont you?

Originally Posted by dinot1985
    You just love throwing your opinions around like facts dont you?
    its physically impossible to get hit with the sharp part of a blade and come out unharmed. its not opinion, its fact.

sure their pain threshold is higher than the rest of us, but they are still made out of flesh and simple physics will tell you that if you get hit with an ax it wont be pretty.

Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50) Woden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How can those white guys in your link be Shaolin monks? I doubt they've been training since they were five, probably more like 18-24
    If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your
    mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest or some guy on TV telling you how to
    do your ****, then YOU DESERVE IT.

-Frank Zappa

A devoted acolyte in the Brotherhood of the Pink Elephant

part of DA...keep it on the QT

Originally Posted by dinot1985
    Yes it is possible.
    right, because now they dont need to breathe, wow these shoalin monks are really something eh?

its physically impossible to get hit with the sharp part of a blade and come out unharmed. its not opinion, its fact.

sure their pain threshold is higher than the rest of us, but they are still made out of flesh and simple physics will tell you that if you get hit with an ax it wont be pretty.
    Well it seems that it isnt a fact, because they do it. I've been to Shanghai and watched Shaolin perform this act using a Dao (a sword) and I felt the Dao prior. It was real. So it seems it isn't fact.

right, because now they dont need to breathe, wow these shoalin monks are really something eh?
    You really need to study Shaolin more because so far you only know what is possible by what doctors and your body can do. Amzingly enough, we havent even reached the limit of knowledge on what our bodies can't do. You're making yourself sound ignorant.