Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gneal View Post
    lately I have considered using the Smith machine for starters.
    Avoid doing that, IMHO. The argument happens here all the time so I'm not going into that here, I'm just stating my opinion. What do I know?

It appears that squats are king when it comes to getting good results for your legs
    No, they're king for more than that. People forget that while your legs generate the power, your core has to transfer that power to the bar, that takes your muscles effort, and your upper body has to hold the weight.

but my question is this: Can lunges do the job as well as squats?
    In terms of what goal? Building muscle? If yes, no lunges can't replace squats, but nothing's wrong with doing both.
    Last edited by bigtallox; 10-03-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by smtp4me View Post
    Squats are to the legs what bench press is to the chest.
    Not a very good analogy, IMHO. Benching isn't strictly necessary ( I don't bench because I so a lot of overhead pressing with strongman events, benching is counter productive and it's not a strongman event ), squats are necessary.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

Threadweaver- Psyche Hero hochspeyer's Avatar
    hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hochspeyer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hmm... zombie thread about squats vs... lunges? And not one response questioning the sanity of the OP? Wow- kinder and gentler.

Squats for me.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by hochspeyer View Post
    Hmm... zombie thread about squats vs... lunges? And not one response questioning the sanity of the OP? Wow- kinder and gentler.

Squats for me.

Lol... I was thinking the same thing... sure was different back in 2007... not necessarily better, just different
    David

Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Squats do something else which I can't quite put a finger on - I've heard talk about them affecting metabolism, etc. - that when I do them I find my entire body grows; my upper body grows faster, more noticeably, than if I had skipped them.
    Working such a large muscle group sends your bodys recovery and growth systems into overdrive, this in turn assists with growth and recovery of other muscle groups also being trained. Basically squatting assists with your gains in other areas

LiftThingsUpPutThingsDown stereosteveo's Avatar
    stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50) stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50) stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50) stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50) stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50) stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50) stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50) stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50) stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50) stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50) stereosteveo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was uncomfortable with squats too, and even the thought of doing them scared me.
    I've found it was because I was too stiff and robotic, trying to follow the 'proper' form to a T, and using way too much weight.

Now I just relax a little and pretty much just focus on keeping my balance by looking straight ahead.
    I just do what I can 3x8, which aint a lot... But I'm quickly getting used to them and I'm actually starting to really like the challenge.

I can easily see why squats are what 'separate the men from the boys' so to speak.
    Even though maybe I'm only in the pre-teen category thus far.....

πολυμαθής ก้้้้้้้้้้้ ThundaHorz's Avatar
    ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ThundaHorz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    A few years ago I got away from heavy squats and did the majority of my building with my legs with leg presses. I rarely do lunges. I got really good results by doing heavy leg presses, moderate weight with squats. My legs look really cut by changing this. I still believe that you need to squats.
    I also do leg curls and extensions which I also believe is a must for definition.
    Originally Posted by Stenn View Post
    The first thing I thought when I read this was, "Not unless you do lunges with 200 lb dumbells." But since I don't do lunges, I can't realy say if that's true.
    Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Great post! Ditto....
    Originally Posted by Shreddedgeek View Post
    IMO Squats are a Mass Builder where the Lunges are Shape builder.

There is no better leg buiding exercise other than squats, being a compound exercise the primary target is the Quads but the secondary benefits are astronomical. (lower back, gluts, hams, core,..ect) The advantage with squats vs lunges with building muscle is that you just can't move enough weight with lunges. It does not matter if you are training to become huge or training to add some thickness, you must have enough weight to challenge the muscles and as you add weight you are not going to be able to do a lunge in correct form without risking injury. Overcome the fear of Squats and use the lunges to sculpt the Hams/Glutes.
    Found/bump...

I wanted to lump all these together for the awesomeness within. I rarely see people doing lunges but every other accessory movement... IME lunges are the 2nd best leg exercise to squats.
    fui quod es, eris quod sum

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Old thread but never too many topcs about legs. If you are not beating the **** out of your legs, you really should not be here. I love squats and have come along way with them...but I feel I get more size from heavy high rep leg presses. I also do walking barbell lunges...heavy. We have a shorty bb thats great for walking thru the gym. Hell, even stading bb lunges are nice...but these seem to work more on the ass than quads. Hacks kill my knees.
    Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141126481

zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100)
    BTW squats are a posterior chain exercise... I learned that lingo here from BIGTALLOX. Google that in images. And lunges are for shape and like others have said you won't be doing heavy weights with them.

I can always tell when someone is trying to think their way out of doing squats because I used to do it also. I'm pretty sure I made every excuse not to do squats in the book. Even after I first started to do them I made excuses why I should quit.

When I first started my lower back would basically feel like it 'went out.' I kinda limped around for awhile until it healed. It did this a few times before it stopped doing it.

If you want to do something right look it up in youtube. There are plenty of experienced people gladly making videos to share their secrets.

When I started I used 115 and it felt heavy. About a year later I do 225 for a couple reps deep.

Do squats religiously. You will soon realize as you look around the gym while you are in your squat area, that only handful of people do squats. You want to be part of this group trust me.

goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000) goranothos is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've never been real comfortable with doing squats. It appears that squats are king when it comes to getting good results for your legs.
    I think you answered your own question.
    He which hath no stomach to this fight, let him depart.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ok, first of all, I'm not training to become huge(not possible genetically anyway). I would like some additional muscle and definition in my legs and lunges have always been part of my training. I've never been real comfortable with doing squats, although lately I have considered using the Smith machine for starters.

It appears that squats are king when it comes to getting good results for your legs but my question is this: Can lunges do the job as well as squats? I would be interested to hear everyone's opinion on these two exercises and hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks in advance...
    Greg
    The short answer is no.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    posting in a 4 year old thread. heck yeah!!
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just started doing squats about two months ago, as I have a disk herniation in my neck, and squats have been known to aggravate it. But, seems to be working itself out, now. (the neck issue & squats)

I also do lunges. I do both on leg day, now. There's benefits to both, I think.

vintage90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up change up

No single exercise should be in your work out for to long, I suggest starting with a set on the leg press at a light weight to get deep stretches then either do weighted lunges or squats. Not in the same workout out though, switch them in and out of your work out for the other one about every 8 weeks. Take the benefits from both but you will get none by doing both and over training or sticking with the same workout for to long.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So 4.5 years later I wonder if the OP managed to avoid getting huge.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    imo lunges are better for running, while squats are better for jumping. Doing both is optimal though. I see way to many people going waaaaay too light on lunges(pretty much any healthy male should be strong enough to use the 50s after just a few months of training)

mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) mtpockets has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hip belt squats, no load on the spine.
    Air Force Veteran 1976 - 1999 - Cannabis Enthusiast since the 1960's

Retired at 40 Crew - Social distancing expert - Living the Dream

I use the gender neutral pronouns "Fukker/Fukkers" a lot.

****** I don't always agree with the memes I post ******

I tell it like it is, if you want smoke blown up your ass or something sugar coated. I suggest you get a Hooker and a powdered donut.

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Ok, first of all, I'm not training to become huge(not possible genetically anyway). I would like some additional muscle and definition in my legs and lunges have always been part of my training. I've never been real comfortable with doing squats, although lately I have considered using the Smith machine for starters.

It appears that squats are king when it comes to getting good results for your legs but my question is this: Can lunges do the job as well as squats? I would be interested to hear everyone's opinion on these two exercises and hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks in advance...
    Greg
    My only question: after 5 years since this post, did the OP accidentally get huge?
    David

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    So 4.5 years later I wonder if the OP managed to avoid getting huge.
    Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    My only question: after 5 years since this post, did the OP accidentally get huge?
    Haha!
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    that sucks
    walking around minding your own business and then BAM!!!
    you're huge

bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Squats do something else which I can't quite put a finger on - I've heard talk about them affecting metabolism, etc. - that when I do them I find my entire body grows; my upper body grows faster, more noticeably, than if I had skipped them.
    Releases testestrone for one
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't...
    Gen George S. Patton

US Army Desert Storm Vet

GOOOO STEELERS

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Testosterone raising after squating has been found to be very brief.

jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500) jrctherake is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by chodan9 View Post
    that sucks
    walking around minding your own business and then BAM!!!
    you're huge
    I had a similar problem.........well, kinda anyways.

I was laying around on couch watching tv, eating chips blah blah blah.......

and BAM

I got fat/weak for no reason what so ever. Just don't understand it.

bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bassing68 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JRT6 View Post
    Testosterone raising after squating has been found to be very brief.
    Brief is all u need
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't...
    Gen George S. Patton

US Army Desert Storm Vet

GOOOO STEELERS

Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Merkava has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Depends on your goals of course. I do elevated stationary lunges, split squats and dumbbell squats. Anyway, don't do anything you don't want. Always listen to yourself and ignore the idiots who think they know everything, or that everyone should have the same goals.. such as getting HUUGE. LOL.

retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100) retro36 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
    Just started doing squats about two months ago, as I have a disk herniation in my neck, and squats have been known to aggravate it. But, seems to be working itself out, now. (the neck issue & squats)

I also do lunges. I do both on leg day, now. There's benefits to both, I think.
    I used to soft contact Taekwondo when I was younger and I recommend the stretching excises as a warm up before you so leg work. As they are designed to improve limb flexibility.

/watch?v=zisnttKPGNw

Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zoosh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by mridgley View Post
    I do the leg-press and can rep 450 lbs 3 sets. I tried the squats today and could only do 135 lbs. The bar killed my shoulders and was not comfortable at all. I did not have a spotter but I can honestly say that I will NEVER get to the 450 mark with squats - with or without a spotter!

I have heard that squats are the best for overall core training though.
    :: not to derail but...:: the one thing my doc told me NOT to do was squat. Some mish mash about a bad disc congenitally smaller in mid thoracic causing lots of unpleasantness. Soo, I immediately went to the gymn and began squatting only the bar. I started adding a few %pts. a week or two and now I have a pretty decent weight on the bar and I'm enjoying the progress in my entire body. Oh and the doc has given me the ok. Seems by going so slowly ( albeit for fear of getting caught ..by my wife ) my back strengthened and has compensated for the deficiency. Don't do what I did..stupid stupid man , BUT don't sell yourself short on what you can accomplish either. BBing is a long haul -no silver bullets of physical excellency. Just crappy hard work. You might find you could out squat your press in a year if you simply added a little at a time and if you don't? Who cares as long as you are enjoying what you are doing and seeing results. ::back to regular programming::
    The first and the best victory is to conquer self. To be conquered by self is, of all things, the most shameful and vile. — Plato

nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000) nexgensupps is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by namtrag View Post
    I need to find someone to workout with me who can help me with my form. I watch myself in the mirror, and I'll be damned if I can tell what I am doing wrong.
    Put a bench behind you. Just enough that your ass checks touch the edge. Now hands on your hips. Yes just your hands. Now sit down properly...no not just flopping down, but in a nice controlled manor, bend at the knees, back straight. That is the proper way. Now once you are comfortable with that, do it with just a bar...keep the bench behind you. Once you are comfortable with the bar then move up in weight. Stop looking at yourself in the mirror. Head up and eyes towards the ceiling.

ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ChristopherNV is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    In on zombie thread.

Deadlifts are a reasonable alternative to squats, however, squats are awesome, start light until your comfortable and get your form right. Lunges are f'ing medieval, they make me curl up into a fetal position and cry.

offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) offcakes has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    pm sent op.