redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Excercising for bodytype

Do any of you believe in this? I have read articles that tell pear or hourglass shaped women not to do kickboxing, step aerobics, or squats with weights. I can see a point if women would not want to build muscle at all but I just wondered what others opinions on this was.

Thanks!
    chocoholic

musclar smurfette Sunshineslynn's Avatar
    Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sunshineslynn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hmmm. I train for my shape but I still train heavy. I am hour glass or mesomorph so to speak. I do lots of squats and heavy ones at that my legs actually have gotten tighter which in turn made them smaller. Never heard that we were not supposed to do that but oh well I like the results...

smiles
    s
    "You can't take some pill and hope your fat will jump off of you like you have the plague. You must work out and eat clean to have a lean, green, fighting machine." Sunshineslynn

'If you always do what you always did, then you will always get what you always do'

I dip, you dip, we all dip....dip to the east, dip to the west ......dip to get that tricep.

MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you are thick on the bottom and don't want to be, it's best to use lighter weights and more reps, set's and exercises to keep from adding bulk. The stepper will thicken the legs if you are prone to it. I do believe there is something to it. We are not all built the same, so the same training program won't work for all goals.

Just as in the diet... some need more carbs, others don't need many... some carb load for shows, I fat load for shows.

People vary, diets vary, and training should vary.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by redhead75
    Do any of you believe in this? I have read articles that tell pear or hourglass shaped women not to do kickboxing, step aerobics, or squats with weights. I can see a point if women would not want to build muscle at all but I just wondered what others opinions on this was.

Thanks!
    In the 40's and 50's this was big.

I actually agree with it, in principle. Much workout advice comes from the routines of those with great genetics. There is also the contradiction that some of the most knowledgable people are not in the best shape, due to the AAS or drug issue. Meaning, a great body does not mean great knowledge.

Many people train without a SPECIFIC goal. One must take stock of where they are, where it is POSSIBLE to get, and where they WANT to get. Then determine how to get there.

So body type must be considered when training.

Here are some basics. JUST GUIDELINES.

Heavy types or pear shaped (Endomorphs,short limbs, stocky) should gravitate toward DBs and cables. Low carb diets for fat reduction.

Thin types (ectomorphs,lanky) should gravitate toward basics with BBs. If bodyfat reduction is necessary, low fat. Keep protein high.

Muscular (can manifest itself as "hourglass" type) should do a combo of basics and isolation exercises. Balanced, calorie reduction diets work for fat loss.

Since you asked about pear shaped, I'll assume that is your concern. First, I would not do HEAVY squats. Pear shaped usually means relatively low center of gravity, if you squat heavy your butt will get bigger, and you will lean forward a lot on your squat. I would use lunges as your main thigh exercise, which will work your butt and thighs but not bulk them like squats.

You can also use hack squats, which will concentrate the thigh work on the lower thigh area.

Hope that helps. If you have more specific questions you can pm me.

fit123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face confused now

oopss.. I am definitely pear shaped and I do both kickboxing and squats.

I did see a difference in my legs (and saddlebags even if they're not completely gone) when I was dieting hard (now I'm a little more relaxed in my diet so I know I gained weight in my thighs and butt).

Now I'm confused...squats are supposedly the best thing for your glutes(getting rid of cell and fat).

How do you really know what your body type is? I'm really petite on my upper body and tend to accumulate fat in my lower body, I'm short but I really don't think I'm stocky ...

Now this were my stats back in September. I think I gained 10 lbs since then but still it should give you a good idea of my "shape"

Height: 5'
    Weight: 107
    BF %: 19.2 Taken with a digital caliper - the girl said she might have gotten a little muscle tissue on the second measurement...who knows.

Arm: 8-3/4"
    Chest: 30"
    Waist: 25-1/2" (my waist now is at leat 26-1/2")
    Hip: 34"
    Thigh: 18-3/4"
    Calf: 12-1/2"

MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by fit123
    I did see a difference in my legs when I was dieting hard

Now I'm confused...squats are supposedly the best thing for your glutes(getting rid of cell and fat).

How do you really know what your body type is? I'm really petite on my upper body and tend to accumulate fat in my lower body, I'm short but I really don't think I'm stocky ...

Now this were my stats back in September. I think I gained 10 lbs since then but still it should give you a good idea of my "shape"

Height: 5'
    Weight: 107
    BF %: 19.2 Taken with a digital caliper - the girl said she might have gotten a little muscle tissue on the second measurement...who knows.

Arm: 8-3/4"
    Chest: 30"
    Waist: 25-1/2" (my waist now is at leat 26-1/2")
    Hip: 34"
    Thigh: 18-3/4"
    Calf: 12-1/2"
    Detoxing, clean diet, exercise, etc. gets rid of cellulite, not just exercise alone. However, dieting right does help greatly in it's reduction.

Don't put too much emphasis on trying to figure out your body type. If you see you gain size in your lower body easily, then do exercises according to that and the same for the upper body. Just from what you said so far, you're either pear shaped or "A" frame. If so, train to not add more bulk below and train to bring out your width and add some size for the upper body.

Stats help to find a caloric and macro range. It doesn't really give info on where or how you store fat. From looking at your measurements, I would say you're a pear.

Focus on bringing up your shouders and the width of your back to take emphasis off your lower body.

fit123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=MsFit]Detoxing, clean diet, exercise, etc. gets rid of cellulite, not just exercise alone. However, dieting right does help greatly in it's reduction.[QUOTE=MsFit]

Yup, I'm doing that candida cleanse..

[QUOTE=MsFit]Don't put too much emphasis on trying to figure out your body type. If you see you gain size in your lower body easily, then do exercises according to that and the same for the upper body. Just from what you said so far, you're either pear shaped or "A" frame. If so, train to not add more bulk below and train to bring out your width and add some size for the upper body. [QUOTE=MsFit]

I guess go really heavy weight and low rep (4-6) for upper body and the opposite for lower body (8-12 reps) then?

I tend to go heavy on my lower body because I have so much more strength there ...it makes me feel good.

[QUOTE=MsFit]Stats help to find a caloric and macro range.[QUOTE=MsFit]
    I try to do a 50P/30C/20F..1400 cal a day. Does it sound good to you? Or should I do more of a 40/40/20 and then up my protein when I decide to cut for comp?

I'm still trying to figure this macro thing out...

redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redhead75 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My stats are as follows:

Arm: 12-1/2"
    Chest: 29"(30" if you add my cup size)
    Waist: 25-1/2"
    Hip: 36"
    Thigh: 21-1/2"(today tomorrow is leg day so they will grow!)
    5'3"
    120ish lbs.(I don't weigh myself any more due to mentality issues)

I am pretty out of proportion, I have a very short torso as well. I noticed I leaned out when doing pilates but that is boring to me anymore. When I low carb diet I tend to gain weight!@? I guess I should be happy with that!

Thanks for all the advice. I guess if higher powers want me to have muscular legs and a strong butt then so be it. I will continue my kickboxing and step aerobics since that is what I love to do I will however go lighter on the squats(knees -a- cheering)
    chocoholic

Registered User TigerAngelLeigh's Avatar
    TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10) TigerAngelLeigh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do to some extent, but most people tend to focus on certain areas. I don't neglect any body part because I'm afraid of building more mass there or because it doesn't need much work. You have to work out how your own body responds and focus on that: a lot of trainers say that women with larger lower bodies (i.e. pear or hourglass shaped) should avoid cycling, but I (as an hourglass) find that cycling doesn't make my legs bulk and they benefit from the fatloss :-)

TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TurbulentFluid is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by TigerAngelLeigh
    I do to some extent, but most people tend to focus on certain areas. I don't neglect any body part because I'm afraid of building more mass there or because it doesn't need much work. You have to work out how your own body responds and focus on that: a lot of trainers say that women with larger lower bodies (i.e. pear or hourglass shaped) should avoid cycling, but I (as an hourglass) find that cycling doesn't make my legs bulk and they benefit from the fatloss :-)
    I agree fully, I'm a hourglass and squats (even tho I hardly started out with them) along with cycling helped improve my lower body.
    I'd press the subject of GOALS: it's important to make sure a book we're reading / theory we're exploring is telling us how to achieve the look we're going for, not to DEFINE the look we're going for: this should be up to each individual.
    I mean if you wanna look like one of those anorexic aliens in fashion shows, you don't need anything: just heroin, coffeine, and no food... If you want big, defined legs and a firm butt, I don't think you can pass without some form of squats, some form of deadlifts, and cycling can only help as cardio exercise that employs a LOT of muscles a LOT of the time (unlike running, where your leg muscles are under stress for very short periods of time). Just my 2C...

Current stats:
    67 kg / 167 cm / 25-27 %bf / 28 yo
    max lifts:
    bb bench press: 7 x 55kg
    lat pulldown: 5 x 60 kg
    squat: 8 x 60 kg