Thread: Fat ASS USA

little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Fat ASS USA

Just copied this off of yahoo.

Americans are even fatter than they think they are, with nearly a third of all adults — almost 59 million people — rated obese in a disturbing new government survey based on actual body measurements.

One in five Americans, or 19.8 percent, had considered themselves obese in a 2000 survey based on people's own assessments of their girth.

The new 1999-2000 survey puts the real number at 31 percent — a doubling over the past two decades. The new number is considered more reliable since people consistently underestimate their weight.

"The problem keeps getting worse," said Health and Human Services (news - web sites) Secretary Tommy Thompson. "This has profound health implications."

In addition, a measurement-based survey of young people found that 15 percent of youngsters ages 6 to 19 were seriously overweight. That is nearly 9 million youths and triple the number in a similar assessment from 1980.

"One of the most significant concerns from a public health perspective is that we know a lot of children who are overweight grow up to be overweight or obese adults, and thus at greater risk for some major health problems such as heart disease and diabetes," said Dr. Julie Gerberding, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites).

The findings appear in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association (news - web sites).

They come from nationally representative surveys of 4,115 adults ages 20 through 74 and 4,722 children from birth through age 19.

The National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys have been conducted periodically for several years. Twenty-three percent of adults were obese in 1994 and 15 percent in 1980.

Obesity increases the risk for a number of serious ailments, including diabetes, heart disease, strokes, high blood pressure and some types of cancer.

Obesity is defined as having a body-mass index of 30 or above. The index is a measure of weight relative to height.

The latest survey also found that nearly two-thirds of U.S. adults were overweight, or had a body-mass index of between 25 and 30.

In the youth survey, even toddlers were affected, with more than 10 percent of children ages 2 through 5 seriously overweight, compared with 7.2 percent in 1994.

"The numbers are pretty shocking," said Margo Wootan, director of nutrition policy at the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

She said talk from the Bush administration about encouraging Americans to eat more healthfully and be more active is "too low a dose of treatment to try and cure this health problem."

"They need to put into place real policy," such as offering more healthful foods in government meal programs and requiring fast-food restaurants to list calories on menus, she said.

The trend has paradoxically occurred while health clubs, home exercise equipment and heavily promoted diet plans have proliferated.

In an accompanying editorial, Dr. Phil Fontanarosa, JAMA's executive deputy director, questioned whether dietary guidelines are adequate and whether doctors have been ineffective in counseling overweight patients.

___
    educated by blood sweat and my dad beating my a$$ until I got it.

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I heard this on the news this morning. My son is in 7th grade and I do notice how out of shape a lot of kids are anymore. What kills me is they keep doing reports on this, yet at my son's school you're only required to take physical education one year and you definitely are going to be eating bad for you crap if you eat at the cafeteria or get anything out of the machines at school.

I talked my son into doing a 5K in Kiawah with me in December. He's accepted the challenge and we have been running together in the evenings. I also make sure to fix him a healthy breakfast and supper -- I can't say much about his lunch -- but, at least it's packed and has a PB&J sandwich and a piece of fruit. (He likes to add chips & a moonpie to the mix, though!)

We try to stay away from the fast food joints except for every once in a while.

K (same) has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "...I can't say much about his lunch -- but, at least it's packed and has a PB&J sandwich.... "

PB & J sandwich for lunch!!!!!!! Oh the humanity!!! that is the single biggest factor why children eventually rebel LOL

little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) little lats is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by K (same)
    "...I can't say much about his lunch -- but, at least it's packed and has a PB&J sandwich.... "

PB & J sandwich for lunch!!!!!!! Oh the humanity!!! that is the single biggest factor why children eventually rebel LOL

parental Reliability. **** I don't see that much in my job!!

Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Hibiscus09 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

He loves PB&J. He even has me eating that stuff again! I just hope I don't fall under the moon pie spell.

What's your job, Little Lats? I love my children. I honestly feel like parenting is the best job I could have. Chaperoning field trips have been a great learning experience for me. I'm just kind of sad the 7th grader is the youngest and after him I'll have to wait to make PB&Js for the grandkids.
    Last edited by Hibiscus09; 10-09-2002 at 01:34 PM.

H09 turn your PM on.

I didn't know it was turned off. It's on now.

TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000) TrishB is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up Hibiscus...

Good for you... getting your son involved with a healthier way to eat and to enjoy exercising. I am amazed the way the kids, even the real little ones, are so overweight now.

When I was a kid, we used to be out running around, riding bikes, rollerskating, iceskating, swimming....doing anything to get out of the house and have fun.
    Now it seems kids are hooked to the tv, computers, and sit there eating their bigmacs and fries.

Now I have an craving for a PB&J sandwich.....thanks alot Hibiscus!

kendo is just really nice. (+1000) kendo is just really nice. (+1000) kendo is just really nice. (+1000) kendo is just really nice. (+1000) kendo is just really nice. (+1000) kendo is just really nice. (+1000) kendo is just really nice. (+1000) kendo is just really nice. (+1000) kendo is just really nice. (+1000) kendo is just really nice. (+1000) kendo is just really nice. (+1000)

American junk food?

What is bB&J?

What is Moon Pie?

I constantly hear of these American products Ben & Jerries?? etc yet us Europeans don't know what they are? The American lifestyle seems to be geared towards these junk foods and the kids there are uneducated towards any other way. Those stats are scary but a sample of 4,000 or so is no way representative of the whole population.
    Its never to late to transform! www.physiqueoverfifty.co.uk

Kendo -- PB&J means peanut butter & jelly sandwich. Not that bad for you. However, Moonpies are two cookie like things coated with icing (chocolate or vanilla or banana) with a marshmallow cream filling. Ben & Jerry's has some of the worst for you icecream (high fat) there is. Oh, and by the way, it's delicious! I have Cherry Garcia yogurt every once in a while from there. However, they have much more tempting bad for you flavors like Chunky Monkey (you'll turn into one if you eat too much of that stuff!), Reeses Peanut Butter Cup, etc.

I've never been to Ireland but I loved the food in Italy & Greece. My husband loved the pints in Ireland. Anyway, America is definitely geared around junk food. I try to stay away from it for the most part but have minor breakdowns every once in a while!

back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    We have a similar weight problem in Canada . "Anytown' USA could now become anytown North America because it doesn't matter where you go there are Macdonald's , KFC , Dairy Queen etc on every street you turn on . I read something last week about 50% of the population in N.A. being on some kind of diet and if you look around it is no mystery as to why . Kids are obese and physed is optional in our schools . But there are food vending machines in the hallways . Diabetes is on the increase and kids are getting it earlier than ever before . I don't think the findings are too unbelievable at all .