Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50)

How long does it take to gain a rep?

Let's say your rep range is 6-10, and you get 6 reps for any given exercise, and cannot do anymore. How long before you can get 7, then 8, 9, and then 10? Is it about 2 weeks per rep?
    The Chronicles of Gibblets
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=806401

Gibblets' Summer of Hell: Cutting Phase 2005
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=461571

Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bob_101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    for me, if i get enough rest, i can usually do about a rep every week, 2 at most. this takes good form and making sure you don't overtrain.

Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well yes, good form is imperative. After all, if you don't stimulate the muscles correctly, they won't grow, even if you do rest enough, and without growth, there will be no super-compensation for strength and size. That being said, I use perfect form, and rest each bodypart for at least 4-5 days between training sessions. However, my deadlift and bench have been stuck at the same weight, same reps for about 4 weeks now.

My bench has been stuck at 205 x 4, sometimes I'll get 5 with a tiny bit of help from my spotter.

As for my deadlift, it's been at 375 x 6 for some time now as well. I kinda go up and down with this, sometimes my deadlift will drop to 345 or 355, I think because on some days, I just don't feel like a beast...lol.

Should I change things up? Or give it more time?

trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10) trem0lo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It depends on where you're at... sometimes my reps & weight will go up for a few weeks or months, other times I'll be stuck for weeks. I find that my body progresses in short bursts in strength & size over long periods of time.

What do you mean by where I am at?

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Question question

Gibblets: How long have you been lifting?
    Do you do bench and dealift on the sameday if not what is your days between the two?
    Last question do you pay close attention to your diet and when you take your supplements?

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    generally every week, maybe 2 sometimes
    <->

I've been "lifting" ever since I was 18, but sadly, I had no grasp for proper training or nutrition, so I weighed the same and made very, very little newbie gains until a few months after I turned 20! So basically, I've been lifting and eating properly for almost 1.5 years.

I do not bench and dead on the same day. My diet and supplementation program is not an issue, believe me.

Originally Posted by $AJ
    generally every week, maybe 2 sometimes
    So you never hit plateaus? You make progress every single week?!?!?

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Talking

Sounds like you need to scrap what your doing and start over. With only 1.5 years of training you should be making more progress. From your dead lift it sounds like you are strong,it may be that you need to change things around.
    Before recomending a book for you, what is your fitness goals (power lifting , bodybuilding,,ect)

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Gibblets
    So you never hit plateaus? You make progress every single week?!?!?

pretty much. only time my strength stagnated was like 13yrs ago when i had no clue how i was training. but when i put everything together, it kept moving forward.
    <->

So what do you recommend I do to change my situation?

seperate you bench and dead lift to the maximum days.
    The book "Power" is a excellent book for all levels of lifting. Phd hatfeild hits all levels and types of lifting. I beileve you can get it on Amazon.com.

The Giant Killer ShreddedShruggin's Avatar
    ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ShreddedShruggin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    lol. for a second i thought you were talking about a "rep point". ah sigh

-Grimface

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by trem0lo
    It depends on where you're at... sometimes my reps & weight will go up for a few weeks or months, other times I'll be stuck for weeks. I find that my body progresses in short bursts in strength & size over long periods of time.
    I agree with this... I'm in one of those "bursts" right now... seems like no matter what I do, I'm increasing in reps or weight every week. But I've been at this long enough to know it will eventually peak... and I'll have to change things up again to keep moving forward.

Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My bench has been stuck at 205 x 4, sometimes I'll get 5 with a tiny bit of help from my spotter.

As for my deadlift, it's been at 375 x 6 for some time now as well. I kinda go up and down with this, sometimes my deadlift will drop to 345 or 355, I think because on some days, I just don't feel like a beast...lol.

Should I change things up? Or give it more time?
    Maybe change things up. Try switching to incline bench for awhile. Also, I like to take about once a month and do a cycle of 3-rep workouts and usually all weights will go up for the given excercises. It also depends on the rep range. For instance, it will take longer to get an extra rep when you're talking about a 4 rep set as opposed to, say, a 10 rep set. It will take a greater strenght gain to get the fifth rep at a higher weight than getting the 11th at a lighter weight.

Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Personally if im not gaining approximately 2 reps a week, i know that either my diet or recovery/sleeping is insufficient.
    "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
    - Bruce Lee

"My studying mimics my training. Brief, intense and infrequent.."
    - Big Red

Originally Posted by Mike750
    Maybe change things up. Try switching to incline bench for awhile. Also, I like to take about once a month and do a cycle of 3-rep workouts and usually all weights will go up for the given excercises. It also depends on the rep range. For instance, it will take longer to get an extra rep when you're talking about a 4 rep set as opposed to, say, a 10 rep set. It will take a greater strenght gain to get the fifth rep at a higher weight than getting the 11th at a lighter weight.
    Hmm...interesting. Do you have any links that explains this more? Or perhaps shed more light on it yourself? I really do think you're on to something here, since my rep range for bench and deadlift are both very low- 4-6.

Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000) Mike750 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hmm...interesting. Do you have any links that explains this more? Or perhaps shed more light on it yourself? I really do think you're on to something here, since my rep range for bench and deadlift are both very low- 4-6.
    I'll try to elaborate although I don't have any links, because this was just something I was pondering the other day. I like to try and think things through ( maybe too much sometimes ).

I'll use my deadlift as an example ( because it's my strongest lift and I'm less embarrased about the weight I use).

Let's say I do a set of deads at 225 and get 10 reps. I believe it would take less of a strength gain (although a gain nonetheless) to get the 11th rep than if I do 315 for four reps and next time try to get five, just because of the sheer amount of weight being used. Usually greater weight means slightly slower reps which uses more energy. Hope this helps.

big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) big_nate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Follow a good routine and you should make consistent gains. At least a rep every week on most exercises.
    Obsessed is a word the weak label on those who are dedicated.

Bigger than Darklight The Real Deal's Avatar
    The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000) The Real Deal is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by aqua-beowulf
    I agree with this... I'm in one of those "bursts" right now... seems like no matter what I do, I'm increasing in reps or weight every week. But I've been at this long enough to know it will eventually peak... and I'll have to change things up again to keep moving forward.
    ^^^
    i usually find myself improving in bursts and sometimes only certain muscles are improving at 1 time. but changing things up is key. not everyone is an AJ

Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If I am stuck doing the same weight for the same reps for 2 weeks I always change something. Either move to a different exercise (like going from regular bench to decline or close grip) change the exercise slightly or change the rep range.

You need to do what you can to incourage positive adaptions, going and doing the same exact thing every week isnt going to incourage greater adaptions.
    "Leave the pump in the bedroom and add some damn weight to the bar" - Dave Tate

"Train for strength, eat to grow and you will get bigger and stronger" - Someone bigger and stronger then me

Thumbs up rep ranges

Gibblets: Lower reps equal strength gains more then size. Midrange reps 6-8 are a balance between strength and size. High range reps 9-12 equal size over strength. Reps higher then 12 are questionable.
    The rep ranges you use are for strength not size there for you need more recovery time. Your body responds to low reps by auberizing (sp) nerves, this allows more muscle fiber to fire at the same time. This process can take up a month; it all depends on how much neural tissue has to grow.
    I would recommend that you increase your rep range into the 8- 10 range this will allow you to gain in rep number faster. I would however recommend you track weight instead of reps since after 12 reps you are doing little for muscle growth or strength.
    Think about it for a minute if you gained 2 reps every week you would in one year have a 100 rep per set work out. This range would be pure aerobic.
    This is why I asked what you want from weightlifting. You need to decide what you want then build your routine around that goal.
    If you want strength then low reps high weight long rest between sets is the majority of your work out. If you want size then higher reps is what will dominate your work out.