Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leo_koach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Hell Yeah...

Originally Posted by AussieDoc
    Does anyone know about the ability to build muscle size after 35.

I did alot of weight training 10 years ago. Competed in powerlifting and reached a weight of 198 lbs.

Just a bit of history:
    I took a break from weight training and started up recently 12 months ago.
    Starting weight last January was 154 lbs. Bulked up to 183 lbs. Started doing the "Summer Diet" and Current weight is 176 lbs. No idea Body Fat %. My height is 5'11.

I don't have before and after pics, but getting to that soon.

My schedule is hectic, but will workout typically 4 days/wk; 5 days maximum.

I'm basically interested in putting on more size; would like to get up to 200 lbs with 8% BF.

It has been suggested that putting on considerable size after 30 is nearly impossible.

Does anyone have any experience, suggestions to help reach my goals?

Ryan
    One word: "yes"

...and you can do it as much as younger people. Take good supps, like protein shakes, creatine (not steroids), get good sleep, rest... heavy workouts, just make sure you won't injure your joints (I mean it)... you will put muscles no time.

I know, because I did, and my goal is keep putting muscle until I am 45, and try to keep them until 50...

All you are doing is “Feel Good” :)

wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) wiseguy1111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Absolutely you can. I just turned 40. 5'11 206 pounds. To me the only difference now is it takes a little longer to recover.

magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) magicdad2000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by coolexec
    I started training at 50 (2 years ago). I had never previously stepped into a gym, nor had I played any serious sport. I was becoming flabby and not really liking myself.
    I now look great. Feel great too (except for the 2 prolapsed discs and left rotator cuff around which I work).
    Whilst I know that I take longer to build muscle than the kids in the gym I have an advantage - the experience to understand perseverence and the ability to work hard and focused.
    In conclusion ... my teenage sons borrow my 31 waist jeans and I borrow their size L Abercrombie & Fitch muscle Ts. My wife asks who am I doing it for, and can't understand my answer which is "me."
    Coolexec, that is an awesome post. I have had a similar experience so far with my wife's curiosity over my new obsession with weight training. I can easily wear any of my son's clothes, and like you, I am also working around an injury that wouldn't have been an issue 'back in the day'.

I personally don't care if it takes longer to build muscle than it does for the younger guys. They're SUPPOSED to build muscle fast. It's kind of like when your wife still looks great in her 40's or beyond. To me, that's even sexier than a 20 year old girl who can get away with less effort to look great. And needless to say, our staying in shape is great inspiration for our women as well as our kids.

Baby boomers, let's keep showing them we still got it!

mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mntbikedude has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have lifted since 18. But didn't really start to do it right until. About 37 I have made solid gains ever since and broke thru a few barriers this year in fact at age 48.
    You can, and need to find a ground that you know you are suppose to stand on.. hence, stand your ground, this is the place where you know everything is as it should be for you. If you stand in a place where you know in your heart things are wrong, most things around you will never be right.

Rule number one, never work at being what another man defines as being "honorable", Honorable is is being true to what you know and and doing what you know is right for you..

Nagalfar

Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I re-started lifting seriously last year at age 35, after being 35 pounds overweight and completely out of shape since I stopped working out half-assedly in my mid-20s. So I only can relate to the gains I am making now which are finally coming along after almost a year of hard lifting, and getting my diet clean and plentiful. Plus some key supps help keep my joints strong and with muscle growth.

AussieDoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Joint Supps

What supps are the best for joint aches and pains. Noticing alot of pain in antecubital fossa.

Has anyone had any experience with Glucosamine?
    Think Big with everything you do.

Going for strong and lean jtroster's Avatar
    jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000) jtroster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had to google "antecubital fossa". I take a supplement with Glucosamine, Chrondroitin and MSM. It helped reduce joint pains in my knees. The brand I'm currently taking is Allmax's Allflex. I found that when I ran out and was two weeks with out it my knees started feeling funny again. I now keep a good stock of the stuff.
    Joel

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

My 2014 Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159562211

Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks for the encouragement Riverman!

Originally Posted by riverman
    I'm 50, and I've put more muscle on in the last two years than all my prior years...Seriously though, at our ages we can afford the best supplements, the best diet, we can take ego out of the workout and really work; in short, do everything right. .
    I'm a 55 yo beginner. I've tried to get in shape previously, but then work or personal concerns distracted me. Now, like you say Riverman, I have the maturity and wisdom to do everything right. I'm never going to have the body of a 20-something, but I can be a healthy 50-something.

On the outside, I probably look like a joke. But that's deceptive. Inside, metabolically, I'm in the best shape I've ever been in-- and probably better shape than most younger people given the obesity epidemic in this country. I've got a resting pulse in the 60's, it takes very intense cardio to get my heart beating in a decent aerobic range (ergo, it's very efficient; can accomplish a lot with less work) , blood pressure is low normal, cholesterol has plummeted.

I'm now concnetraing on geting my BF down. I hope I can then start to add a bit of muscle. I appreciate the encouragement. Still, I'm very pleased with BEING healthy, even though I don't look like Dave Draper.

newbody@52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yes It's True!

Yes you can make significant gains after 35. Man you are still a youngster so you should be able to pack it on. I am 53 and just started lifting last year and have already seen a big difference. I have been doing aerobic activity for the last 20 years four or five times a week but have just begun weight training. I never tried before because I didn't think I had it in me but after starting I have discovered I am pretty much a mesomorph body type. I haven't posted any pics yet but intend to after a little further down the road. I am encouraged so you should be too. Be consistent and patient and take one day at a time. I am actually doing the Body for Life workout with some modifications and it is working for me. The nutrition and workout plan are very balanced and you should see results fairly quickly. Check out the website and you will see before and afters on their 12 week plan. Just work hard!

Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Joe55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

BFL for Older Guys

Originally Posted by newbody@52
    Yes you can make significant gains after 35. Man you are still a youngster so you should be able to pack it on. I am 53 and just started lifting last year and have already seen a big difference. I have been doing aerobic activity for the last 20 years four or five times a week but have just begun weight training. I never tried before because I didn't think I had it in me but after starting I have discovered I am pretty much a mesomorph body type. I haven't posted any pics yet but intend to after a little further down the road. I am encouraged so you should be too. Be consistent and patient and take one day at a time. I am actually doing the Body for Life workout with some modifications and it is working for me. The nutrition and workout plan are very balanced and you should see results fairly quickly. Check out the website and you will see before and afters on their 12 week plan. Just work hard!
    Right, Newbody. The Body for Life Site is an inspiration to me (as well as the transformations on bodybuilding.com) I didn't enter the BFL contest, but I'm following the BFL plan (without buying the expensive supplements.)

Obviously, those amazingly transformed winners are "not results typical" If I expect that type of result, I'm setting myself up for disappointment. I have to remind myself to be satisfied with reasonable goals and reasonable progress, while at the same time not letting myself slack off.

PS: I overdid it this last week. Had a cold but exercised heavily. Now I'm REALLY sick and may miss two weeks instead of just a coupla workouts. Damn. Wish I'd read the advice on this subject on other threads that warned: IF YOU'RE SICK, SKIP THE WORKOUTS. Especially if you're older. You can't fight a cold & flu AND break down and repair muscle. Live & learn.

Red Rooster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Red Rooster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Red Rooster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Red Rooster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can always improve!

Come this November I will have 25 years of solid weight training under my belt. During this time I have only taken time off during injuries...(a total of maybe 8 months in 25 years)..

I can tell you with absolute certainty that you can and will gain muscle well into you forties maybe into your 50's...We are all fortunate enough to be the new generation of old guys (haha)..This is a great opportunity to break age stereo types. I can tell you I am bigger and stronger now than I have ever been. The only difference between the way I train now and the way I trained 10 years ago is I am smarter now and allow for more recovery.

Go back to your powelifting basics..YOU WILL GROW! I am 5 ft 8 and weigh 240lbs at 14% BF (I am trimming down, I was 275 last year this time with alot of BF)..oh I am 36yrs old.
    Last edited by Red Rooster; 02-13-2006 at 09:51 AM.
    Red Rooster
    "Adapt and Overcome!"

23 year veteran of the Iron Wars!

Hittin' it and gettin' it Braindrop's Avatar
    Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000) Braindrop is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm 40, and have added somewhere around 5-10 pounds of muscle in two months, depending on what bodyfat reading you believe. Newbie gains, but I'll take it.
    Braindrop
    ---------------------------
    Jun 2016 230#
    Apr 2010 224#
    Oct 2007: 272#
    ---------------------------

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=660421

buffwannab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile How about 48

I am 48 and packing on muscle now. The only thing i have trouble with are the supplements they want you to take. Creatine makes my blood pressure rise. Does any one know what creatine won't? JUst eat watch the carbs and eat protein, a lot! Making my arms bigger with some programs. Keep it up!

Registered User Southern Phoenix's Avatar
    Southern Phoenix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Southern Phoenix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Southern Phoenix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Southern Phoenix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Southern Phoenix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Southern Phoenix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Southern Phoenix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Great advice. is working for me.

Originally Posted by GoldLabel
    My advice is this "Forget Your Age,Just Lift The Damn Weights!" You can do it.

Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I joined Bill Pearls Pasadena Gym March 1 1980 at age 40. Weight 168. Won Mr. Muscle Beach over 40 at age 45. Weight 238. How hard are you willing to train?

Glucosamine, Condroitin and MSN are good. Adding Hyaluronoc Acid is the cherry on top.

Thumbs up Inspiring

Originally Posted by Baldsnake
    I joined Bill Pearls Pasadena Gym March 1 1980 at age 40. Weight 168. Won Mr. Muscle Beach over 40 at age 45. Weight 238. How hard are you willing to train?

Glucosamine, Condroitin and MSN are good. Adding Hyaluronoc Acid is the cherry on top.
    It's great to read things like this. I'm 55-- starting 15 years after you did. But, as one gets older, 15 years doesn't seem like a long time.

I'm seeing progress after just 6 weeks. BF from 26 to 21% Actually more progress that I can't see-- blood pressure, cholesterol, resting heartrate, etc., all decreasing.

How hard am I willing to train? Not much... which is why I splurged on personal training sessions. I get pushed much harder than I'd ever push myself. On alternate days I do spin classes. Again, I'm pushed in a class much harder than if I were by myself.

But, at 55, there's the question of how hard is it possible to train. I came down with something close to pneumonia a couple of weeks ago-- needed anti-biotics and 2 weeks of rest. I can only push myself so far. Have to rely on rest and nutrition a bit more than the young turks. Can't just consume massive calories and train, train, train.

My greatest enemy will be impatience with slow progress. But the bb.com transformation stories and forums with messages like the quote above, keep me motivated. Thanks.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bradford
    Gotta be honest - for me it's actually been easier to put on muscle mass after the age of 35 than it ever was before. Of course, I'm a total ecto, so I really didn't gain any weight until after I hit about 35.

I am 6'3", was 145lbs at 21, 165lbs at 30 and currently 185lbs at 12% body fat with more muscle than I've ever had - I'm not huge, but I'm looking good.

You can definitely gain after 35!

Brad you and I both, I didn't start gaining any real mass till I was over 35, I am putting more and more mass as I get older, 41 now and the mass comes faster. When I was in my teens and twenties it was a joke for me to put on any real size. In the rate I am going I know that by the time I am 45 it will really start happening for me. I am looking to be 200- 220lbs by then!

chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50) chancho will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You guys are inspiring me in a way I've needed. I'm 40 also and begin to feel the joint hurting something awful. I've been thinking maybe sticking to cardio because of my age, but after reading this, the hell with that I'm dedicating myself again.

bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bighogman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I recently looked at the powerlifting classifications. For the elite class, the difference is only something like 30 pounds. I am comparing a young super heavy weight verses a 44 year old super heavy weight.

rep on

CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CROWLER is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well if you started lifting at say 20 and were consitant all the way up to 35 lifting properly and eating correctly and weigh 230lbs at 10% BF than your chances of putting on more muscle after 35 is going to be REAL tough.

Then again if you didn't start lifting even until you were 50 or 60 then sure you can gain muscle if you begin lifting. Basically because you probably have VERY little muscle.

So in your case you are 35 and it has been 10 years since you lifted so sure you can.

It is all relative to how much muscle you currently have above your natural makeup with no lifting.

CROWLER

PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I started seriously lifting at 34 years old and approximately 185lbs, horribly out of shape. Now at nearly 39, I'm 245 lbs, built a lot of muscle and my body fat now is half what it was when I weighed 185lbs.

My issue is that I wish I would have started lifting much earlier in my life, dammit!

Since I am older, things that work for me now are that I lift less frequently, lift smarter and watch my diet better.
    Last edited by PhoenixBuff; 03-04-2006 at 09:05 PM.

clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) clive has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I didn’t start working out until I was 40 and the first couple of them were only bicep curls, 5 or so years on with a better balanced workout I have filled out and gained quite a bit of muscle. It can be done later in life, here’s a before / after picture.
    Tennis balls?...........my Biceps are as big as Grapefruits!

Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I did a series of "Over 50" bodybuilding articles which belong to various publishers and I can not reprint in here. I believe the attached was one of my last few before I stopped in protest of the mags going T&A for the sake of sales. If anyone likes to collect old mags...this was a good issue.

http://www.emusclemag.com/backissues.php?id=22

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Aussie Doc....first of all welcome. Stick around enjoy, learn and contribute. We all learn something from each other here and have a hell of a lot of fun doing so.

My second suggestion....whoever suggested to you that "putting on considerable size after 30 is nearly impossible".....go toast that croc of bleep on your barbie! In my 5 years hanging out here I have seen hundreds come in and ask the same question, seen their ears perk up, seen the light go on and then seen them kick butt with excellent, sometimes sensational progress. Bigger, stronger, leaner, better proportioned...pick, choose and go for it!

When I moved here from The Netherlands back in late 2000 I weighed 149 lbs and had a lifetime best of 1...ONE rep at 225 lbs on the BP. Now at 64+ I weigh 215 and can lift almost 50% more than that. I can't wait to see how much I will be able to lift at 65 and 70 and..... you get my drift. Viel Glueck!
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

dsiddhartha has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Building Muscle After 35

Hi

I started working out 2 years ago and now i am 33 and i think i am much more stronger then i was in my 20s
    and i will keep working out no matter where it takes me to.

pier117 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why did you post in a thread that's 7 years old?

Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000) Most Muscular is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I didn't start working out until I was 37, although I have great God given genetics I was able to make some excellent gains and more than surpassed any goals I had ever dreamed of.

Nuff said...
    Holder of 4 National NPC Weight Class Titles in 4 different weight classes... all with perfect scores
    1998 NPC USA Bantamweight
    2003 NPC Masters National Lightweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Welterweight (over 40)
    2006 NPC Masters National Middleweight (over 50)

sagarghabade has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AussieDoc View Post
    Does anyone know about the ability to build muscle size after 35.

I did alot of weight training 10 years ago. Competed in powerlifting and reached a weight of 198 lbs.

Just a bit of history:
    I took a break from weight training and started up recently 12 months ago.
    Starting weight last January was 154 lbs. Bulked up to 183 lbs. Started doing the "Summer Diet" and Current weight is 176 lbs. No idea Body Fat %. My height is 5'11.

I don't have before and after pics, but getting to that soon.

My schedule is hectic, but will workout typically 4 days/wk; 5 days maximum.

I'm basically interested in putting on more size; would like to get up to 200 lbs with 8% BF.

It has been suggested that putting on considerable size after 30 is nearly impossible.

Does anyone have any experience, suggestions to help reach my goals?

Ryan
    after reading all the responses I am feeling relaxed.. I am 30 and have been lifting seriously from an year! way to go..

smallstonefan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I didn't start until 40 and I was in bad, bad shape. I am stronger and bigger than I ever was - or ever thought I would be today at almost 48. Well, stronger and bigger a year or so ago - need to work harder.

took me a very long time to get there as I started real slow. I had a bench and some dumbbells and every day in the morning I would do a full body workout using just the dumbbells. I remember trying to hold 5lb dumbbells while doing sit-ups and couldn't do five with proper form! But I charted EVERY day - I made an Excel worksheet and I tracked every day. My notes would tell me what was working or not - like "don't do this today because you're still feeling it your arms from yesterday". If I felt I could go up in a weight I would put a + sign next to the recorded weight. That would remind me to up it next time.

Keep at it, learn what is going on and what your body needs to make it happen and I believe you can have a great transformation in your 40s!
    james

Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000) Robosco is just really nice. (+1000)
    No matter what the answer is, does it matter? If I tell tell you the growth will be slower, are you going to quit?

I tell you this much though. A 40 year old who works out looks a lot better than an out of shape 40 year old. Don't try to be the biggest guy in the gym, you just have to be the bigger than that guy.
    "The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon