Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rock You Like a Hurricane ryuten's Avatar
    ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000)

how important are rest days?

hey how important are rest days? I used to do rest days twice a week last year, but then lately I feel like I've wasted a day if i dont' do anything. In the past two weeks, I've had only 1 rest day. Yea, I know it's bad cuz I was feeling so burnt out Sunday that I had to rest on Monday. Should i go back to my usual ways? like having 2 rest days a week? and just putting in 45 minutes of cardio instead of 30 on my workout days?
    Is it considerred a rest day if i do 30 minutes of walking or light cycling? I feel like crap if i dont' do anything when i'm in the position to do it.
    Also will my results from training be better?

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    very

and duh, if you're burnt out then that's a clear sign you should be resting more. atleast 3days/week.
    <->

18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by ryuten
    hey how important are rest days? I used to do rest days twice a week last year, but then lately I feel like I've wasted a day if i dont' do anything. In the past two weeks, I've had only 1 rest day. Yea, I know it's bad cuz I was feeling so burnt out Sunday that I had to rest on Monday. Should i go back to my usual ways? like having 2 rest days a week? and just putting in 45 minutes of cardio instead of 30 on my workout days?
    Is it considerred a rest day if i do 30 minutes of walking or light cycling? I feel like crap if i dont' do anything when i'm in the position to do it.
    Ryuten, rest days are absolutely crucial but im sure you knew that already. You only grow bigger OUTSIDE the gym, so make sure u get plenty of sleep and maybe train only every 2nd day like i do. SHould give your joints plenty of rest too if you develop any sprains. HOpe this helps!

ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000)
    would that count as a rest day if i did 30 minutes of walking/ light biking that?

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you do know rest day doesn't mean to sit on your ass staring at the wall all day to preserve calories, right.
    <->

18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100) 18inch_GUNZ is not very well liked. (-100)
    would that count as a rest day if i did 30 minutes of walking/ light biking that?
    ryuten, walking for 30mins would be fine as a rest day, just dont go overboard after a legs day

I sleep on a meathook iron_on_my_mind's Avatar
    iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iron_on_my_mind has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You do all of your growing when you rest and eat.

2 rest days a week is way too little. You'll burn out, and not only that, you'll impede development of muscular bodyweight.

dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dsoul27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ohh hell no...you can't do anything on a rest day, call off of work and school and stay in the bed..

lol..... a walk or a bike ride is fine on a rest day. don't worry about it
    Post clever signature here.....

anybody with 50+ reps feel free to give me one....

what really? 2 rests day per week is too little? i can do 3, but 4 days of training a week just seems pretty weak to me. u think i'd lose more weight resting 3 days a week than working out more often? I'm at ~26.4% bodyfat and i totally wanna get below 25% cuz that makes me no longer in the obese category.
    what exactly makes a rest day a rest day? how much physical activity is allowed?

In The Realm of Ooshwabla xenithon's Avatar
    xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Especially in your situation I would suggest 3 training (weight days) a week is plenty. What I would suggest is 3x weights (M/W/F), 3x light cardio (Tu, Th, Sa), 1x off completely (S).

X-Zit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) X-Zit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) X-Zit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you feel that you "have" to hit up the gym everyday, go ahead and do so--just don't target the muscles--let them rest, its important to do so.
    But you could do cardio or w/e--sure, thats not a problem

pz

jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jmonty has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i find that 1 day of rest after 3 days of working out is a good amount of rest. with a 4 day split it seems to keep my body recovered just fine.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ★cVc★ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ Roflcopter Crew ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆ PC Master Race ☆☆☆☆☆
    ☆ /\^/\^Misc Colorado Crew^/\^/\☆

AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    withouth rest your CNS will take a beating and u will eventually feel it and then burnt out

injury is more possible when u dont take many rest days

2-3 rest days per week is optimal if ur looking at building mass
    Draw an X on the body and where do the lines intersect?

Going pound for pound since June 2005!

darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Very important for systematic recovery. I never train on consecutive days. I go Like Sun, Tues, Thurs, repeat.
    Imagine doing back after your squat day without a rest day in between. Tried it and my lifts were submaximal.
    *Someday I want to meet this "Everyone," he seems to have written so very much, yet all of it is wrong.
    *Nature is the master of design, and knowledge is the master of nature.
    *Uncertainty is the seed of all knowledge - it is the catalyst of investigation

xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xenithon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The question of what actually constitutes a rest day though is still up in the air. I asked a number of times in previous threads without much consensus.

Some say rest days should be totally off. Day's to relax, watch grass grown, or paint dry etc. Others say rest days simply mean not hitting weights, and thus light cardio is fine.

If the latter however, should any rest day during the week be truly TOTALLY off, without any cardio?

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what's a rest day??? LOL.....working 10 hour days in my office sure aren't....

a typical "rest" day for me is 8 to 10 hours out fishing.......

Ryuten: the walking is just fine!!! Rest days should not be confused with couch potato days....hours, maybe, but it should never be days unless you are ill..........

"REST" in bodybuilding is refraining from very high intensity work, that we should be doing on all our workouts.....with that in mind, why shouldn't you do a light cardio session on your "off" days.......

you could be very "active" on your off days and still be resting from high intensity work.......

Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Travis04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

re

I've always felt that an "off" day is just a day were I don't go to the gym to lift weights...I usaully do 3-4 cardio sessions a week w/ 30-40 sessions around 3 miles w/ a 6-7 incline. The only time I don't do either is if it's a Saturday and I have to work like an eight hour shift (but I work in a wearhouse so I do lift there). The only days that I do no cardio or weightlifting is when I'm out of town on a vacation/trip or it's a holiday....
    "If you want things you've never had before you have to do things you've never done before."

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz

Rest days are to BBing like, having Testicles is to getting a woman pregnant... Without them, you're just shooting blanks!

I lift 3 days, light Cardio 3 days, and total rest for 2... Which means that I have one day that's an ass buster with Lifting followed by Cardio...
    I just make sure that day isn't leg day!
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

Hey Nainoa. Haven't seen you for a while. Wanted to post a question regarding Osteolysis but was waiting for you to emerge again as you seem to be the most knowledgeable on the topic

"lift 3 days, light Cardio 3 days, and total rest for 2"

3+3+2=7? Or do you work on an 8 day schedule?

MaNlEt MafIa MemBer #1 dodigago's Avatar
    dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000)
    right now im doing 4 days on - 1 off

do you guys think I would get better results if I just do 4 days a week?
    The FIRST and OFFICAL bb.com Cool People List;
    Skippy,harrisjl,TehLurker,ispy,boyscouT,jkeithc82,
    Mike_d,Crazytall,MMASuperstar2,XPmpnII,SeniorDiscount
    BignBuff,BigPoppaProppy,MentalPiracy,Sword_,ndg v2
    Haywood_Jablome,ispy,extremistpullup,acbrits08,AlbinoGerbil

AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AbMasterD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it really depends on your body, if you are making good gains now with a 4-1 split then continue with it. when u plateau then try by adding 1 more rest day.

btw if u are not feeling rested after ur rest day then u should add more b4 you burn out
    Draw an X on the body and where do the lines intersect?

Going pound for pound since June 2005!

Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz Nainoa has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by xenithon
    Hey Nainoa. Haven't seen you for a while. Wanted to post a question regarding Osteolysis but was waiting for you to emerge again as you seem to be the most knowledgeable on the topic

"lift 3 days, light Cardio 3 days, and total rest for 2"

3+3+2=7? Or do you work on an 8 day schedule?

When I tore my shoulder it was too heart breaking to hangout in the exercise sections, hard to talk passionately about BBing while you're slowly atrophying away 10-12 pounds of lean upperbody mass...

So I've been spending my time hanging out in the Misc sections with my rathscallion brothers down there!

But in Late August I started my comeback from the 3rd degree AC tear, so as I've been making more and more progress on the comeback trail I've been coming back up here to the Exercise sections, and try to share some of what I've learned...

I feel a bit like Odysseus lost at sea for ten years now returned to Ithica as a changed man... (Let's skip the Penelope part of that metaphor, shall we?)

Post it up and I'll give it a whack!

(Per the 8 Day lifting... Re-read the post... The answer is in the following sentence.)
    6'4"

"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth: not going all the way, and not starting." The Buddha

-Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Moores Gym- is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Rest days are CRUCIAL! don't let anyone tell you otherwise, ever!

Originally Posted by -Moores Gym-
    yea, kkick those tpyes of people in the groin so they don't reproduce
    <->

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

Arrow

Originally Posted by -Moores Gym-
    Go tell that to Hola Bola. I think he trains 6 days a week and the results speak for themselves. I've found I get the best results training around 3-4 days a week, with short concentrated loading periods of up to 5 days a week.

How many rest days you take a week really comes down to your training style. Some of the HIT guys train only once a week. Count the rest days. Then you've got elite athletes who follow a carefully periodized training plan, use proper recovery techniques (stretching, massage, etc.) and train 6 days a week, sometimes all day.

The conclusion I reached is if your training is not using some form of periodization to vary the training load (intensity/volume/frequency), essentially if you just go in, blast away for an hour trying to lift more every week, going to failure every set, etc., then rest days will be critically important since there is no method to the madness. But despite what a lot of people seem to believe, that's not the only way to train.

dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000) dodigago is a name known to all. (+5000)
    so 4 times a week is better than 4/5 days?

Originally Posted by dodigago
    so 4 times a week is better than 4/5 days?
    depends on 10001 other factors. if, for example, you spend 5days in the gym and 20minutes a day, that's a hella lot better than 4days for 90minutes each day.
    <->

Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lavinco is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by AbMasterD
    withouth rest your CNS will take a beating and u will eventually feel it and then burnt out

injury is more possible when u dont take many rest days

2-3 rest days per week is optimal if ur looking at building mass
    it takes 24 hours for the Central Nervous System to recover. This is why many smart BB's lift M, W, F and do light cardio or abs on Tu, Th, and take sat and sun off.
    Cure Rett Syndrome.

Originally Posted by $AJ
    depends on 10001 other factors. if, for example, you spend 5days in the gym and 20minutes a day, that's a hella lot better than 4days for 90minutes each day.
    I usually do 1 hour a day for 4/5 days now..

SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000) SFT is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'd say as a natural lifter going 3-4 days a week with 3-4 days of rest would be best. Just work your ass off for those days. On the rest days you can still do cardio and work like that.