battersup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

upright excercise bike vs. recumbent

which do you prefer and why? i am trying to decided which one to get, this is what i have heard and read, i have heard that upright bikes can be very uncomfortable after riding on them for a long period of time and that the recumbent bike is much more comfortable, but that is pretty obvious by just looking at it, but i also heard that the recumbent bike is less intense because of the position you are in, what are the advantages and disadvantages of both? which one would you buy if you had to choose between the two? i have never the recumbent before, what is it like?

FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FarEastBeast has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I personally always found the recumbent bike more uncomfortable - I guess I like to lean on something while I'm pedalling. Plus, the upright takes up less space, if that's a concern, and probably a little cheaper.

maxxfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bikes

You will not see any difference in the results if that is what you are asking. You have to use it for it to be effective so space, budget, and comfort are the the tihngs you have to decide like the person stated above. If you want something that will last look at Vision, Lifespan, sportsart, lifefitness, true and Lemond. Lemond fitness just came out with a Recumbent that is absolutely amazing. I just got one and its the most comfortable thing I have tested. It retails for $2400 but I figured I would have it forever.

dave32 is not very well liked. (-100) dave32 is not very well liked. (-100) dave32 is not very well liked. (-100) dave32 is not very well liked. (-100) dave32 is not very well liked. (-100) dave32 is not very well liked. (-100) dave32 is not very well liked. (-100) dave32 is not very well liked. (-100) dave32 is not very well liked. (-100) dave32 is not very well liked. (-100) dave32 is not very well liked. (-100)
    In 2003 I replaced an upright bike with a recumbent one.

The recumbent bike design allows me to keep exercising even when I feel very exhausted as I do not have to concentrate on balance as much. It also frees use of my hands, allowing me to pass the time with video games rather than just watching television or listening to music.

The biggest issue I have had is with maintenance. Before purchasing an exercise bike look at the source of tension on the wheel. The stationary bike I had previously used had a thick rubber pad to apply pressure to the wheel. My recumbent bike uses a course cloth strap to add tension. Over time the cloth has frayed and become useless, requiring two replacements since purchase. To be fair, the bike I now have was a very cheap model, costing $75 at K-Mart.

The seat design also leads to another issue. The large seat of a recumbent bike can become soaked in sweat if you exercise without a shirt for a good length of time. This can be unpleasant, especially if you will share this machine with someone else. An upright bike removes this issue.

battersup has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah i got a upright bike now from sears regularly 500 got it for 350, magnetic resistence

fitness-max has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitness-max has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitness-max has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitness-max has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitness-max has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fitness-max has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post I think your best bet is a 2-1 Elliptical/Exercise Bike

This type of machine combines a elliptical exercise machine with a exercise bike. When you have this type of machine you multiply the amount of low impact exercises you can do for close to the same price as some exercise bikes and some elliptical machines by themselves. The importance of the variety amount of different types of exercise is that it will promote muscle strengthening much faster if your exercise is varied. Your body can often grow used to repetitive exercise, and thus render it less effective. Furthermore, as mentioned above, the workouts on both an elliptical and an upright bike are low impact- resulting in less knee problems and foot problems.

The only downside, is that the combination machine is an upright bike, and for heavier people can prove difficult to use. If that is the case, than I recommend a recumbent bike. These bikes can sustain more weight and are easier for people to use. If you are looking for a good place to shop and compare check out www.fitnessbikesplus.com. They have a decent selection and better than fair prices.

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by fitness-max View Post
    This type of machine combines a elliptical exercise machine with a exercise bike. When you have this type of machine you multiply the amount of low impact exercises you can do for close to the same price as some exercise bikes and some elliptical machines by themselves. The importance of the variety amount of different types of exercise is that it will promote muscle strengthening much faster if your exercise is varied. Your body can often grow used to repetitive exercise, and thus render it less effective. Furthermore, as mentioned above, the workouts on both an elliptical and an upright bike are low impact- resulting in less knee problems and foot problems.

The only downside, is that the combination machine is an upright bike, and for heavier people can prove difficult to use. If that is the case, than I recommend a recumbent bike. These bikes can sustain more weight and are easier for people to use. If you are looking for a good place to shop and compare check out www.fitnessbikesplus.com. They have a decent selection and better than fair prices.
    Hmmm? Bumping a 3+ year old thread on your 1st post with advice on bikes and then pitching a website. Hmmm?
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the upright bike is basically what i used to get ripped because i hate to run

dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dnb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by yankeemarko1 View Post
    Hmmm? Bumping a 3+ year old thread on your 1st post with advice on bikes and then pitching a website. Hmmm?
    too funny!

for a REAL bike I PREFER a recumbent because my hads do not go numb
    and my back does not get still like on a DF (diamond frame) bike. In the
    gym it is either/or...

In cae you are interested, my recumbent is a Longbikes Slipstream
    (see www.longbikes.com) Pricey, but like riding a Cadillac.

gracie_girl9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recumbent all the way

I like the recumbent the best, though I my rear end falls asleep after to long on the bike. But it is a good work out, and really helps tone my legs.